Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

adox wrote: »
    I honestly don't see any "big" names leaving in this window. Ando will go if someone will take him but I just don't see any of the others mentioned leaving. It makes zero sense.

need to cut our wage bill to hit financial targets due to lack of CL football? (bare in mind here the Chevrolet deal would have been included in projections, Addidas deal not in place for next year)

most logical answer tho is giving youth a chance. already its looks like our defence is going to be as follows -
    Rafael, Jones,Smalling, Evans, Keane, Vermaelen, Shaw, Blackett, James.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just on the Fellaini thing, the reason we currently aren't signing players yet is because Van Gaal wants a look at the player for 3 or 4 weeks before making decisions on the squad but at the same time Fellaini is now up for sale even though he is one of the players he hasn't had a look at yet?

I'm calling bs on the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Sirsok wrote: »
    I will be sad if Fellani leaves, sure he had a bad time last season, but with a seaon under him and a great manager he will push on. Judging him Playing in a somewhat unfamiliar role with different midfield partners in a season where nearly everyone else around him under performed and he was injured for a good chunk of the season is harsh, he was a beast for Everton and a player i always enjoyed watching......

Plus i bought a Fellani wig last season at the West Brom game.....the fcuk am i gonna do with that if he goes

Manscape wig?

need to cut our wage bill to hit financial targets due to lack of CL football? (bare in mind here the Chevrolet deal would have been included in projections, Addidas deal not in place for next year)

most logical answer tho is giving youth a chance. already its looks like our defence is going to be as follows -

I dont see that being an issue. Sure look at the rest of the clubs, anyway cant you even it out over a period of time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Every time I see Vermaelen's name, I'm reminded of that bit in Fergie's book where he screams at Martin Edwards "Chairman...are you serious? Do you think he's a Manchester United player?" when Brian Kidd suggested that we sign John Hartson instead of Dwight Yorke.

The prospect fills me with dread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There is a difference between giving youth a chance at Bayern, Ajax and Barca, the 3 clubs with the absolute best youth systems and buying policy, and United

Is Welbeck the prize fruit of our academy from the last 10 years?

Every time I see Vermaelen's name, I'm reminded of that bit in Fergie's book where he screams at Martin Edwards "Chairman...are you serious? Do you think he's a Manchester United player?" when Brian Kidd suggested that we sign John Hartson instead of Dwight Yorke.

Whats wrong with him?

adox wrote: »
    Just on the Fellaini thing, the reason we currently aren't signing players yet is because Van Gaal wants a look at the player for 3 or 4 weeks before making decisions on the squad but at the same time Fellaini is now up for sale even though he is one of the players he hasn't had a look at yet?

I'm calling bs on the story.

dont forget, he was happy to let Rio, Evra, Buttner Bebe, and seemingly Anderson go without seeing them.

and sign Herrera and Shaw. this "assessing things" excuse is very very over used at this stage when theirs evidence to suggest that its not entirely correct.

Whats wrong with him?

I don't think that he's good enough relative to where we should be aiming to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Whats wrong with him?

He's ok. That's probably the extent of my excitement about signing big Tommy Vermaelen

• Advertisement

dont forget, he was happy to let Rio, Evra, Buttner Bebe, and seemingly Anderson go without seeing them.

and sign Herrera and Shaw. this "assessing things" excuse is very very over used at this stage when theirs evidence to suggest that its not entirely correct.

I dont think the club would have made evra stay due to loyalty to the player. Buttner wanted to leave as he couldnt see himself working with LvG (shame as he would have been good cover in a 3-5-2) Rio Bebe and ando ya fair enough though ando is still around. At any rate only 2 of them were near 1st team regular last season and those werent going to improve.

None really regular first team players though apart from Evra.

I just don't believe he's going to ship out a player bought for £27 million one year ago, in the one of the weakest parts of the squad, without running the rule over him first hand.

I don't think that he's good enough relative to where we should be aiming to be.

Covers two positions we need cover in. Also he was very good before the Kos MErt partnership blossomed and they work really well in tandem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

duffman13 wrote: »
    If you need to turn a game who would you rather see on the sideline coming on Adnan or Ashley?

Either tbh. Adnan is being seriously overrated on this forum tbh. Young has the ability to turn a game around.
    If you need some to put a shift in against say Ronaldo, as a winger who would you prefer Valencia or Young?

Neither. Completely irrelevant and stupid question though. If the question was "If you need some to put a shift in against say Messi, as a winger who would you prefer Valencia or Ronaldo?", the answer would still be Valencia.
    Januzaj and Valencia all day for me. Youngs ability consists of running down the left and cutting back on his right. A child can read his game.

And Valencia is so unpredictable is he? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think there's probably three levels of player right now.

Definitely keeping - players he knows, likes and wants to build the team round (RVP, Rooney, Mata, De Gea, Herrera, Shaw).

Definitely lose - players he knows he doesn't need or want for whatever reason, or who want to go (Evra, Rio, Buttner, Bebe, seemingly Anderson and Fel).

Not sure yet - players who he doesn't know or doesn't know if they'll fit roles in his system. Players who he might be able to re-train.

Just because he has players in group 2 doesn't mean there's not players in group 3; i think there's absolutely some players need assessing on his end.

For example, does he trust Evans/Jones/Smalling as a starting trio? If yes, then one sort of player is needed, if no then another. Depending on how the trio work together or not, a different level of defender may be nessecary.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

There is a difference between giving youth a chance at Bayern, Ajax and Barca, the 3 clubs with the absolute best youth systems and buying policy, and United

Is Welbeck the prize fruit of our academy from the last 10 years?

Wilson? Pog? Rav? Pique? Rossi? I'd have all these as technically better players than Welbz.

I am encouraged by the volume of Vidal / United traffic on the internet at present.

Believe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Fellaini had 0 goals and 0 assists for us last season - good riddance!

lordgoat wrote: »
    Wilson? Pog? Rav? Pique? Rossi? I'd have all these as technically better players than Welbz.

Pog, Pique, Rossi were all brought into the club, utd didnd t do the early development.

Ravel isnt better technically than welbz, is wilson?

• Advertisement

I am encouraged by the volume of Vidal / United traffic on the internet at present.

Believe...

I'd be extremely surprised if he signs.

It seems a next to nothing story that the press have grabbed onto and will recycle anything that appears from anywhere.

advertsfox wrote: »

Good world cup. Used correctly hes very handy, he wasnt used correctly.

I want fellaini kept for 2 reasons,

1 the price we get for him now wont be his true value due to annus horribilis just gone.
    2 he is a very good plan b who isnt limited to being just a big lad, he can play well enough we he is allow to aggressively get forward on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Adnan is being seriously overrated on this forum tbh. Young has the diving ability to turn a game around.

Fixed your post there to accurately reflect reality. You're welcome. :)

Either tbh. Adnan is being seriously overrated on this forum tbh. Young has the ability to turn a game around.

Neither. Completely irrelevant and stupid question though. If the question was "If you need some to put a shift in against say Messi, as a winger who would you prefer Valencia or Ronaldo?", the answer would still be Valencia.

And Valencia is so unpredictable is he? :rolleyes:

Ah yeah for the second time I still haven't said Valencia is more unpredictable so if you could assuming things you will stop making an ass of yourself. Yes Adnan has received a lot plaudits due to the fact we had a crap season and he was a breakthrough player for us. Is he overrated now? Yes probably. Is he a better option than Young NOW? IMO opinion 100% yes.

Again I will reiterate Valencia has more to offer be it in LVGs 352 system or any other system we play than Young. In any big games I'd rather have Valencia than Young, defensively he offers more, covers more ground and his pace can sometimes (rarely) cause problems. It's a toss up offensively as both are fairly unorthodox wingers in that neither can beat a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think there's probably three levels of player right now.

Definitely keeping - players he knows, likes and wants to build the team round (RVP, Rooney, Mata, De Gea, Herrera, Shaw).

Definitely lose - players he knows he doesn't need or want for whatever reason, or who want to go (Evra, Rio, Buttner, Bebe, seemingly Anderson and Fel).

Not sure yet - players who he doesn't know or doesn't know if they'll fit roles in his system. Players who he might be able to re-train.

Just because he has players in group 2 doesn't mean there's not players in group 3; i think there's absolutely some players need assessing on his end.

For example, does he trust Evans/Jones/Smalling as a starting trio? If yes, then one sort of player is needed, if no then another. Depending on how the trio work together or not, a different level of defender may be nessecary.

Think the guardian were reporting last night that Evans is one of the players whose impressed LVG the most

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ah yeah for the second time I still haven't said Valencia is more unpredictable so if you could assuming things you will stop making an ass of yourself. Yes Adnan has received a lot plaudits due to the fact we had a crap season and he was a breakthrough player for us. Is he overrated now? Yes probably. Is he a better option than Young NOW? IMO opinion 100% yes.

Again I will reiterate Valencia has more to offer be it in LVGs 352 system or any other system we play than Young. In any big games I'd rather have Valencia than Young, defensively he offers more, covers more ground and his pace can sometimes (rarely) cause problems. It's a toss up offensively as both are fairly unorthodox wingers in that neither can beat a player.
    Valencia offers more defensively, Young right now offers more in attack. This is really not up for debate.

I have to remind you that I'm talking about Young as part of the squad, not as part of the first 11. I really can't see how anyone could object to Young being good enough as a squad player.

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »

Fellaini actually got at least 2 assists last year, if not 3. he got two in the Hull game, he set up both Wilson goals.

Kagawa, Cleverly, Fletcher, Nani and Carrick barely had 3 assists or goals between them.

problem was not Fellaini (a man who scored 11 PL goals the season before), its where he was being played or more to the point, how the team was playing.

Fellaini actually got at least 2 assists last year, if not 3. he got two in the Hull game, he set up both Wilson goals.

Kagawa, Cleverly, Fletcher, Nani and Carrick barely had 3 assists or goals between them.

problem was not Fellaini (a man who scored 11 PL goals the season before), its where he was being played or more to the point, how the team was playing.

I agree with homer on this...

omsj.gif

Valencia offers more defensively, Young right now offers more in attack. This is really not up for debate.

I have to remind you that I'm talking about Young as part of the squad, not as part of the first 11. I really can't see how anyone could object to Young being good enough as a squad player.

Your first point is a matter of opinion, both are terrible offensively. I know your talking about a squad player but for me he would be the first to go as a winger or perhaps Zaha. Zaha hasn't had a chance so I'd be inclined to give him a season. We don't need 4 wingers in a potentially winger less system. Even if we played 433 I don't think he is good enough for even a squad place.

I will leave it there as honestly it's a matter of opinion but I don't think he is the level of player united require in the squad.

strong stuff from Van Gaal, according to Ogdan.
    In the Dutchman's eyes, Ferguson left Moyes with a team of winners. He says he is inheriting a "broken" squad

talking about the squad -
    "It is not in balance. It's more difficult to succeed in a difficult situation than in a fantastic situation.

full article here -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10996808/New-Manchester-United-manager-Louis-van-Gaal-says-he-has-inherited-a-broken-squad.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

If Fellaini and Kagawa both go that would still leave Rooney, Mata, Herrera and Januzaj as players who can play advanced behind the strikers, assuming LVG goes with the wingerless formation.. As much as I want to see Kagawa hit his Dortmund form you have to admit the squad is currently pretty unbalanced towards that end of the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Who'll be the first to crack if we'll have made no additional signings by this time next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Soldie wrote: »
    Who'll be the first to crack if we'll have made no additional signings by this time next week?

I think we all know who!

OctavarIan wrote: »
    If Fellaini and Kagawa both go that would still leave Rooney, Mata, Herrera and Januzaj as players who can play advanced behind the strikers, assuming LVG goes with the wingerless formation.. As much as I want to see Kagawa hit his Dortmund form you have to admit the squad is currently pretty unbalanced towards that end of the pitch.

Herrera will play in a central position and Rooney will play up top.

That leaves Mata as the number one choice with 2 backups in Kagawa and Januzaj. I don't see a problem with that. This year, okay a lack of games because you have no champions league football but there is a decent chance of getting top 4 this season so you will have it next year.

I wouldn't sell Kagawa. The problems at the back and in centre midfield don't warrant selling your attacking players even if you are a little overstocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

A lot of talk of Vidal's agent arriving in Italy last night... maybe bs, maybe not...
    Would imagine it will be put to bed one way or another this week..... Hopefully :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Has Powell joined up with the pre season squad? If all those players leave he might be thrown in at the deep end this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

anyone got a 'recipe' for the press conference. I assume that is that its on MUTV or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

anyone got a 'recipe' for the press conference. I assume that is that its on MUTV or something?

Not scheduled to be shown on Mutv until 7am tomorrow, probably due to the time/viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Official MUFC twitter will be tweeting updates from it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

astradave wrote: »
    Not scheduled to be shown on Mutv until 7am tomorrow, probably due to the time/viewers.

Ah Jaysis. Ah well nothing can be done about that. Just spotted on the official club twitter account that had mentioned a post training presser for 1.35 (BST) so assumed they'd air it. Cheers for the update. :)

• Advertisement

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd now
    Louis van Gaal confirms @WilfriedZaha will play up front vs @Inter in the second half. #mutour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

James Ducker @DuckerTheTimes

Van Gaal is dismayed at how out of shape Luke Shaw is. Devised a special training programme to get him up to speed #MUFC

Doesn't sound great.

RedCafe.net ‏@red_cafe 2m
    LVG on Shaw: "He needs to be fit and he is not very fit, therefore he cannot perform what I want. He has to be fit first." Ouch. #mutour

Doesn't sound good at all.

How is he so unfit? He went to the World Cup and the English players were called back to pre-season early.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Poor bastard, he's in for a tough couple of weeks :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

J. Marston wrote: »
    How is he so unfit? He went to the World Cup and the English players were called back to pre-season early.

That is surprising. How much time was there between England being eliminated and the English players returning for pre-season? 2.5/3 weeks? Surely he wouldn't have regressed that much in such a short space of time.

That is surprising. How much time was there between England being eliminated and the English players returning for pre-season? 2.5/3 weeks? Surely he wouldn't have regressed that much in such a short space of time.

England travelled home on the 25th of June and Shaw cut his holiday short to start pre-season early according to this article...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/luke-shaw-arrives-a-week-early-for-manchester-united-preseason-training-after-cutting-short-postworld-cup-holiday-9600970.html

He must have been putting away the burgers big time during his holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Poor bastard, he's in for a tough couple of weeks :pac:

It's a bad sign if the boss singles him out and it makes you wonder, what in fecks name did he do himself in those 2-3 weeks? No doubt LVG will quickly bate him into shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

RVP clearly had a word with Rooney about what LVG expects! Never saw rooney look so trim at pre season.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    RVP clearly had a word with Rooney about what LVG expects! Never saw rooney look so trim at pre season.

A good sign. Rooney has always played his best football when he's fit and not packing extra weight.

I expect him to have a good season.

That news about Shaw is surprising. You cant do that in the space of 2 weeks. Clearly, he hasn't been looking after himself since the end of the season and I have a hard time believing he was pushed in the England camp considering he wasn't going to play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement