Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Ah come off it, he got the job almost 3 months ago.

No, he started work after the world cup. He approved two deals that were well advanced while in Brazil, but he was very clear, even before he was hired, that he was not free until he was finished with the Netherlands. he didn't meet any players or go to Manchester until then.
    It would have been much better if he could have started three months ago, but that was the price of hiring lvg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Mars Bar wrote: »
    RVP clearly had a word with Rooney about what LVG expects! Never saw rooney look so trim at pre season.

In fairness, I've always been one of the first to criticize Rooney for his behaviour, weight, etc...

He does look trimmed down and he looks focused, let's hope that LVG has a system in mind that maximises RVP and Rooney, if we get those 2 firing we are in for a good season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

What do people make of De Vrij apparently having a medical at Lazio later today and Fellaini off to Napoli roomers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

What do people make of De Vrij apparently having a medical at Lazio later today and Fellaini off to Napoli roomers??

De Vrij would have been low risk so I don't see why we didn't go for him especially if we're playing 3 CB. Selling Fellaini is madness. The guy has had one season under Moyes. Van Gaal also needs to reassess his position on Cleverley who is meant to be very highly regarded by Giggs. Fellaini is a far better option than Cleverley.

Also worrying about Luke Shaw he had a pretty poor half season with Southampton last season. He was poor up to January but kicked on from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Lazio agreed a fee of 6.5 million for the lad yesterday. One less option for us jn the transfer market.

A bit disappointed in the Fellini rumour. He doesn't get a chance to prove himself, yet cleverley gets the captains armband for a match. Giggs still sticking up for the old boys club it seems.

• Advertisement

Luke Shaw training by himself because LvG has deemed him to be not fit enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Unless Fellaini is used as a No.10, playing infront of striker to get on end of long balls then there is no place for him. We have Plenty of cover for that position so no room for Fellaini.
    Hes not a CM or a def midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭secman

Lazio agreed a fee of 6.5 million for the lad yesterday. One less option for us jn the transfer market.

A bit disappointed in the Fellini rumour. He doesn't get a chance to prove himself, yet cleverley gets the captains armband for a match. Giggs still sticking up for the old boys club it seems.
    LVG making all the decisions, naive to think otherwise. Fellani never was and never will be a united player, his second touch is to control his first touch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Really interesting interview from Van Gaal. He's clearly looking for new roles for our wingers. Zaha as a striker, Young as a Wingback and we have already seen Valencia as wingback.

As for Shaw, it's a bit of a nothing story. He's not fit to play wingback which is a more demanding role than LB, and Shaw has agreed. It'll be a tough 3 weeks but Shaw will get on with it.

secman wrote: »
    LVG making all the decisions, naive to think otherwise. Fellani never was and never will be a united player, his second touch is to control his first touch.

It's rather naive to think Giggs doesnt have influence there. He managed to muscle himself onto the coaching staff of two successive managers without having any experience of coaching. An of course survived the cull after Moyes and his staff got the bullet.

You can't really criticise Fellaini's control, while keeping the one foot wonder Valencia, and Cleverley who gives the ball away in dangerous areas every time he plays. Welbeck's control is often terrible. Nani forgets how to play football at times. Kagawa gets caught in possession more than anyone.

I get that some of you hate Fellaini. But there are other players who have exhausted their chances at this point and should be out the door before him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Mars Bar wrote: »
    RVP clearly had a word with Rooney about what LVG expects! Never saw rooney look so trim at pre season.

Attitude seems to have changed a bit as well, apparently he told LVG that he can operate as a #7 or #11 as well as #9/#10. Rooney offering himself as a winger if we need it? The LVG effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

It's rather naive to think Giggs doesnt have influence there. He managed to muscle himself onto the coaching staff of two successive managers without having any experience of coaching. An of course survived the cull after Moyes and his staff got the bullet.

You can't really criticise Fellaini's control, while keeping the one foot wonder Valencia, and Cleverley who gives the ball away in dangerous areas every time he plays. Welbeck's control is often terrible. Nani forgets how to play football at times. Kagawa gets caught in possession more than anyone.

I get that some of you hate Fellaini. But there are other players who have exhausted their chances at this point and should be out the door before him.

It's far too early in the morning to be putting on the tin foil hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I thought Shaw looked matured/very filled out for a 19 year old, so was not really that surprised that he was deemed to be not fit enough.

Looking forward to tonight, horrible time but will be worth watching, need to make Vidic jealous :pac: :P

It's far too early in the morning to be putting on the tin foil hat.

Oh, what part of my post seems far fetched to you? I only stated facts.

Oh, what part of my post seems far fetched to you? I only stated facts.

Facts?

He muscled himself onto the coaching of 2 managers?

Because that's what happened.

Facts?

He muscled himself onto the coaching of 2 managers?

Because that's what happened.

He has managed to get himself onto two coaching teams. FACT.
    The Moyes coaching staff were scattered a few months ago. Giggs got the manager's job temporarily. He then pops on Van Gaal's coaching staff. FACTS.
    An you don't think he has a bit of muscle at the club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What time is it kicking off at tonight?

He has managed to get himself onto two coaching teams. FACT.
    The Moyes coaching staff were scattered a few months ago. Giggs got the manager's job temporarily. He then pops on Van Gaal's coaching staff. FACTS.
    An you don't think he has a bit of muscle at the club?

That didn't happen like you said

FACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

What time is it kicking off at tonight?

Half 12.

That didn't happen like you said

FACT

What way did it happen?

Also, have you seen the adverts showing Giggs and Van Gaal, with the tagline of "The master and the apprentice".

The club are already touting this guy as VG's replacement. That's how much muscle Giggs has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Half 12.

Ah that's not so bad, thought it was 3 or 4 the way people were talking.

What way did it happen?

Also, have you seen the adverts showing Giggs and Van Gaal, with the tagline of "The master and the apprentice".

The club are already touting this guy as VG's replacement. That's how much muscle Giggs has.

Oh I don't know, maybe a guy with 20 odd years of top professional experience playing at the biggest club in the world knows one or 2 things about coaching.

Id say he is more than capable to take a training session.

Just because he hasn't got his badges dosent mean anything. You could work in your job for 20 years with no qualifications but still know what you are talking about.

Maybe Giggs is good at coaching? Maybe he wants to be a manager, just like how you might like a promotion in work, they might give you a chance with some extra responsibility if they think you are good enough.

Did it ever dawn on you that maybe he is good at what he does?

Will I have to throw in a FACT so you think it's true?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Transfer new windup (Stolen mostly from Reddit...)

- Gazetto Dello Sport has once again published a news that us fans are going to love hearing but hard believing. They are saying that the medical Vidal had yesterday at Turin before heading for Juventus' training, was a medical test that Man Utd had requested IT SEEMS. They are not confident if it was for us or Juve but more likely us. They say that we had asked for a medical test and results to be 100% sure that Vidal's surgery was a success and that he is fully fit.

- Independent is reporting that Borussia Dortmund is ready to make a bid for Shinji Kagawa whom they are interested in re-signing.

- El Mundo Deportivo is reporting that the Fiorentina owners have set a €50m price-tag on Juan Cuadrado. They reported that we had made an offer of €38m for him not too long ago.

- Bild are saying Dortmund are trying to buy out Reus' buyout clause by offering to bump his wages from 5m to 7m a year. At the moment, it looks like he'd be able to leave them next year for 35m.

Oh I don't know, maybe a guy with 20 odd years of top professional experience playing at the biggest club in the world knows one or 2 things about coaching.

Id say he is more than capable to take a training session.

Just because he hasn't got his badges dosent mean anything. You could work in your job for 20 years with no qualifications but still know what you are talking about.

Maybe Giggs is good at coaching? Maybe he wants to be a manager, just like how you might like a promotion in work, they might give you a chance with some extra responsibility if they think you are good enough.

Did it ever dawn on you that maybe he is good at what he does?

Will I have to throw in a FACT so you think it's true?

If he's a good coach and has ambitions to be a top manager, he should go about it the right way: get himself to a small club and take the hot seat, work his way up the ladder, gain proper experience - the way the majority of top managers do it.
    When LVG's time is up, I want the club to go looking for the best manager out there. Not just to have Giggs step in because he's Giggs.

Good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Half 12.
    Are you sure? Inter.it and skysports.com have it as midnight.

If he's a good coach and has ambitions to be a top manager, he should go about it the right way: get himself to a small club and take the hot seat, work his way up the ladder, gain proper experience - the way the majority of top managers do it.
    When LVG's time is up, I want the club to go looking for the best manager out there. Not just to have Giggs step in because he's Giggs.

Good day.

Or maybe he isn't stepping in because he is Giggs. This isn't how business' works. They can promote from within, why can't they do that without getting stick?

Good morning Red Baron xoxoxo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Good day.

Theres no right or wrong way. Just different ways. United obviously hold him in high regard and pushed for him to be kept, most likely seeing his value. LVG didnt see anything wrong, why should you? Let LVG manage.

Or maybe he isn't stepping in because he is Giggs. This isn't how business' works. They can promote from within, why can't they do that without getting stick?

Good morning Red Baron xoxoxo

No problem promoting from within. Why not promote Brian McClair for example. His IQ is about five times what Giggs' is, more experience, proven to be a good coach and a good eye for a young player.

Ah fcuk it, a pointless debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

dor83 wrote: »
    Are you sure? Inter.it and skysports.com have it as midnight.

I'm not sure, I checked the United site. If its on at 12 then even better.

• Advertisement

No problem promoting from within. Why not promote Brian McClair for example. His IQ is about five times what Giggs' is, more experience, proven to be a good coach and a good eye for a young player.

Ah fcuk it, a pointless debate.

Probably because we aren't involved behind the scenes. All we can do is just gossip about it.

How do you know his iq is 5 times Giggs? Maybe the club feel he is doing a good job with the youths.

This gossiping about background staff is worse than transfer rumours. This should be easier to understand but apparently not.

A company like United wouldn't let some lad have responsibility just simply because he has been around a few years if they didn't think he was good enough.

Look at the rest of of ex players who are coaches and managers elsewhere. We are doing something right with teaching players more about the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I absolutely love the fact LVG has called up Luke Shaw about his fitness... It a "come here now boyeen, your one of my first signings and you'll show me what we paid all that money for - your not with England or Southamton now ladeen" [in a Dutch accent of course :) ]

My bet is he just fell the other side of where he should be in terms of fitness at this stage and our man LVG has made an example of him and that might really have upset Shaw - I just fcuking love that and you know come the start if Shaw puts the work the both will become very loyal to each other as LVG is obviously testing the lad.

Probably because we aren't involved behind the scenes. All we can do is just gossip about it.

How do you know his iq is 5 times Giggs? Maybe the club feel he is doing a good job with the youths.

This gossiping about background staff is worse than transfer rumours. This should be easier to understand but apparently not.

A company like United wouldn't let some lad have responsibility just simply because he has been around a few years if they didn't think he was good enough.

Look at the rest of of ex players who are coaches and managers elsewhere. We are doing something right with teaching players more about the game.

True. They wouldn't make a mistake in hiring the wrong manager. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wonder if United are showing it on MUTV on a 30min delay. Never seen them do that before, irritating if thats the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A company like United wouldn't let some lad have responsibility just simply because he has been around a few years

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

An interesting morning of rumours to wake up to.

Bye bye Fellaini? Seems very harsh on the chap. One bad season does not a footballer make. LvG seems determined to find new roles for some players (Zaha as a striker, Young and Valencia as wingbacks, Cleverley as Captain) - I wonder why not Fellaini? Could he be worked in to a DM or ball-playing CB? Strange.

Kagawa to Dortmund and Hummels the other way please? I love Shinji, but Mata is a babe and will be #10 with Rooney offering cover at #10 in case of injury. We've also got Januzaj, Powell, Nani that can play in that same position.

I'm not buying the Juventus medical story from Gazetta either. Surely if Vidal was having a medical it would be in Manchester like every other signing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Just because he hasn't got his badges dosent mean anything.

He does have his badges - A, B and Pro Licence
    http://www.thefa.com/news/my-football/coaches/2014/jul/ryan-giggs-takes-charge-of-manchester-united-pre-season-training-070714

which doesn't mean I think he should step into the job after Van Gaal. But if Van Gaal is happy to work with him, the way he worked with Kluivert, cool. And in a few years Giggs can decide if he wants to stay on as an assistant in United or go manage somewhere else. Can't see him being appointed straight from the assistant role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

While van gaal is a breath of fresh air, he is talking a bit too much and id rather he dealt with things internally before publically revealing them.

Appears to be too many issues coming out last 2 weeks -- carrington, player quality, Zaha, commercial activities, squad balance and moral, now Shaw etc etc.

I hope he is not making excuses already for problems ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't think he is making excuses, I think he is simply being a lot more direct, open and honest about the squad issues than we would expect a manager to be.

My hope is that he is being as direct and demanding with the club to fix, where possible, the problems he is identifying.

:pac::pac::pac:

Good lad for cutting the rest of the sentence out.

I love taking things and twisting them into anyway I want and ignoring the rest of the sentence.

True. They wouldn't make a mistake in hiring the wrong manager. ;)

I don't like moyes but it's a pity it didn't work out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

It says here that it is 7pm local time so that would be midnight here, I'd imagine that is correct as it is the official site for it and it links to ticketmaster who list it as 7pm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

While van gaal is a breath of fresh air, he is talking a bit too much and id rather he dealt with things internally before publically revealing them.

Appears to be too many issues coming out last 2 weeks -- carrington, player quality, Zaha, commercial activities, squad balance and moral, now Shaw etc etc.

To be brutally honest homer has he said anything that we didn't know?? - he has to manage expectations, you know as well as me there will be some fans think LVG could bring us back to the top within a season - he has to balance that with the fact parts of his squad are all over the place run ragged by years of failed transfer windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

irishfeen wrote: »
    To be brutally honest homer has he said anything that we didn't know??

For now its a breath of fresh air and saying things that need to be said, but if results don't come that turns into antagonism and making enemies within the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What an interesting morning to wake up to. The Shaw situation doesn't appear as controversial as first thought with the player agreeing to a plan etc.

What will definitely stoke the fires is the news Reus has rejected a new contract with Dortmund.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I don't think he is making excuses, I think he is simply being a lot more direct, open and honest about the squad issues than we would expect a manager to be.

My hope is that he is being as direct and demanding with the club to fix, where possible, the problems he is identifying.

I have to agree. I already hear murmurings about the fact that Shaw is not getting alot of gamne time for a 30m player and that maybe LVG doesn't rate him or that maybe he was a Moyes signing.

VG comes out and says he is not fit enough.

With Zaha, the papers were saying he was the only person not to attend a Saturday training.

VG comes out ans says that there are no issues and he is doing what he is told. And to be honest, it's more of a failing of the squad that, even if he wasn't bothered to attend, the senior squad members should have told him what's what.

Even if we don't sign anyone else this window, moving out the amount of clutter we have is worthwhile in itself.

I won't be happy without more signings, I do think we will sign more, but removing these passangers is a must. I'm looking at yous, Zaha/Cleverly/Fellaini/Young etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

There is an issue here that while LVG has excellent English, he is still not 100%, if you watch his interviews he says things in odd ways and often has to consult to get the right words. Him saying Shaw needs to be fitter is pretty obvious since the guy is going to be covering the whole left wing.

He may not have been saying Shaw is fat or unfit but just that he needs to be even fitter than he already is. Does everything have to be taken so literally and then spun out as negatively as possible?

Zaha has barely kicked a ball for United

How is he a passenger?

ericzeking wrote: »
    There is an issue here that while LVG has excellent English, he is still not 100%, if you watch his interviews he says things in odd ways and often has to consult to get the right words. Him saying Shaw needs to be fitter is pretty obvious since the guy is going to be covering the whole left wing.

He may not have been saying Shaw is fat or unfit but just that he needs to be even fitter than he already is. Does everything have to be taken so literally and then spun out as negatively as possible?

In his defense, he probably hasn't spoken fluent English in a number of years. Can't imagine their was much spoken when managing Bayern/Barca or Holland :pac: He speaks it very well and will only get better as the season goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I love the way we have a plan in place for this season formation wise.

3-4-1-2

you know exactly what players can fit into that system and who cant. Zaha will have massive pressure on his shoulders to impress in 45m or its the end of him for united this season, harsh but true. lvg has said he cannot play the wing back position so the only place he can play is in the forward positions.

mata looks set to play his favourite position and so do rooney and rvp.

as it stands

de gea

Smalling----Jones
    Evans

Valencia
    Shaw

Herrera
    Fletcher

Mata

Rooney
    van Persie

imo we will def sign a centre back or 2, vermaelan and one other and another midfielder possibly vidal.

exciting times ahead

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement