Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Zaha has barely kicked a ball for United

How is he a passenger?

If you come in with a 15m price tag and can't get in to the first team, get loaned out to a struggling premier league side, can't get your game their, come back and still can't get a game you're a passanger imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I have to agree. I already hear murmurings about the fact that Shaw is not getting alot of gamne time for a 30m player and that maybe LVG doesn't rate him or that maybe he was a Moyes signing.

VG comes out and says he is not fit enough.

It's also possible that Van Gaal knows he is going to be his first choice, and wants to see if he has a viable backup, or needs to go out and get one?

He might be gently breaking him in, you know, the 30m 19 yr old with **** all experience.

I would imagine there would be some cotton gloves when it comes to Shaw, but I think that's a bit ridiculous even remotely signalling, or believing, there might be issues with Shaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Don't really understand some peoples views on him commenting on Shaw's fitness ... I'm almost certain he is using it as a weapon to test Shaw's resolve/character ahead of playing in the hardest league in the world. LVG just simply has to find out if he has a lad who is worth the money United paid... If Shaw has anything about him (which he clearly does) he will use this as a motivating factor to push on harder and faster. As I said if Shaw does his business and react well I have no doubt he will be one of the first on LVG's team sheet on the 16th.

LVG has been around the block a few times, he like SAF will know how to push young players buttons to tell if they are a men or boys. Manchester United is no place for a boys temperment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

the whole shaw and extra training thing is nothing, I have played that position before and it is one of the toughest most gruelling positions you can play in football with that system. There is nobody behind you and nobody in front of you. the amount of running you have to do is sickening, its non stop up and down at high intensity... extra training will do him good for the season ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Shaw did look a bit leggy against Roma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

bangkok wrote: »
    the whole shaw and extra training thing is nothing, I have played that position before and it is one of the toughest most gruelling positions you can play in football with that system. There is nobody behind you and nobody in front of you. the amount of running you have to do is sickening, its non stop up and down at high intensity... extra training will do him good for the season ahead

In before mass accusations that you've never played football

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I love the way we have a plan in place for this season formation wise.

3-4-1-2

[...]

as it stands

de gea

Smalling----Jones
    Evans

Valencia
    Shaw

Herrera
    Fletcher

Mata

Rooney
    van Persie

imo we will def sign a centre back or 2, vermaelan and one other and another midfielder possibly vidal.

exciting times ahead

I think van Gaal is playing the current formation due to the squad's balance issue. He's said he can and will change formation as needed, so I think the way the team is shaping up at the moment is more a reflection on where the squad is strong than it is a plan for the season.

For me the weakest links in the team above are Smalling, Valencia and Fletcher. We'll be in big trouble if they're regulars in our starting eleven over the course of the season. As I see it we need a top-drawer centre-back, a defensive midfielder, a box-to-box midfielder and competition for Rafael as a matter of urgency. Hummels, William Carvalho/de Jong and Vidal would be the business. Not sure about right-back. Blind could also be a good acquisition as he can cover at left-back. I was impressed with him at the World Cup, but admittedly I haven't seen much else of him.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It's starting to look like that Italian DJ was right about Fellaini

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I dont know why, but i picture you as David Brent saying this !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

MagicIRL wrote: »
    If you come in with a 15m price tag and can't get in to the first team, get loaned out to a struggling premier league side, can't get your game their, come back and still can't get a game you're a passanger imo.
    Does Van Gaal have any daughters though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

It's starting to look like that Italian DJ was right about Fellaini

I think all the papers are using that Italian DJ as their source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

this Shaw story it just prooves the point that players should be in as early as possible to allow the manager to get to know them better, but likewise adjust to the level required of Manchester United.

any player coming in over the coming weeks really is up against it in terms of hitting the ground running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

MagicIRL wrote: »
    In his defense, he probably hasn't spoken fluent English in a number of years. Can't imagine their was much spoken when managing Bayern/Barca or Holland :pac: He speaks it very well and will only get better as the season goes on.

Might be my imagination, but his English already seems to have become more free-flowing since his first press conference. Might just need to shake the dust off.

TheDoc wrote: »
    In before mass accusations that you've never played football

We all know he played for Torino when they won Serie B back in '01. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Unless Fellaini is used as a No.10, playing infront of striker to get on end of long balls then there is no place for him. We have Plenty of cover for that position so no room for Fellaini.
    Hes not a CM or a def midfielder.

This is what puzzles me did you watch Fellaini when he started out. Everton broke their transfer record for him for his performances as a cm. He was one of the first names on the team sheet for Belgium and Everton as a cm. His best performances have come from playing further forward i won't argue that. But he is a decent cm more than good enough to be kept around. His confidence was tore to shreds last season and it continued into the world cup. If we had decent options than maybe a case could be made but let's look at his competition besides Herrera.

Carrick poor last season and is out for a few months.

Cleverley the last pre season game told you everything. He has no vision, no courage and can't last 70 minutes.

Fletcher while formerly a good player is back from a serious illness and can't play regularly.

Anderson can't keep fit and looks like he is gone.

We are struggling to buy players as it is. Anybody wanting rid of him is blinded by his fee and the fact Moyes brought him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

We all know he played for Torino when they won Serie B back in '01. :pac:

Travelled over with his cousin who was going there to teach English...the cousin stayed on afterwards and has been giving the inside track on Juves transfer activity ever since....

I dont know why, but i picture you as David Brent saying this !!

who?

everybody seems to have different expectations for the transfer window, so does anybody care to predict the starting 11 for the swansea game?

would be interesting to gauge just what people think will happen in next 2 weeks.

who?

David_Brent_111.jpg

• Advertisement

everybody seems to have different expectations for the transfer window, so does anybody care to predict the starting 11 for the swansea game?

would be interesting to gauge just what people think will happen in next 2 weeks.

Can't predict the starting line up, but I certainly think it will be 11 players who are already at the club.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    This is what puzzles me did you watch Fellaini when he started out. Everton broke their transfer record for him for his performances as a cm. He was one of the first names on the team sheet for Belgium and Everton as a cm. His best performances have come from playing further forward i won't argue that. But he is a decent cm more than good enough to be kept around. His confidence was tore to shreds last season and it continued into the world cup. If we had decent options than maybe a case could be made but let's look at his competition besides Herrera.

Cleverley the last pre season game told you everything. He has no vision, no courage and can't last 70 minutes.

Fletcher while formerly a good player is back from a serious illness and can't play regularly.

We are struggling to buy players as it is. Anybody wanting rid of him is blinded by his fee and the fact Moyes brought him in.

he is not a man utd player end of. he is your typical stoke, west ham, everton player. Playing up near top, long ball into him, chest control or flick on to the striker, elbows flying everywhere, going into tackles studs up, generally causing problems for the opposition but no where near utd standard. Not once last year did he take a ball down, look up and play a single through ball to a striker. His link up play is awful, he is slow, clumsy. I will be happy to see the back of him even if we had paid 10-15m for him

it will be close to that team I put up earlier. Even if they sign vidal, vermaelen or hummels there is no way any of them will be anywhere near match fitness

I'd be expecting a starting CB and a starting CM, but I don't know if it'll happen. Could easily end up with 2 squad players.

My 1st 11 would be:
    DDG
    Val
    Shaw
    Evans
    Jones
    New CB
    Herrera
    New CM
    Mata
    Roo
    RvP

That is going with that Raf won't be fit in time for the start of the season, and 2 1st team players bought, if not, bring in Smalling and Fellaini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

who?

sw8035sw753.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Our midfield is like the cast of The Wizard Of Oz;

No Brain,

No Heart,

No Courage.

And Dorothy who just runs around looking lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Id have to say I see no new signings before Aug 16th, now its not what Id like, but its what I see happening.

De Gea

Jones Evans Smalling
    Valencia
    Shaw
    Herrera Fletcher

Mata
    Welbeck

RVP
    Rooney

This isnt what Id like TBH, but its what I see LVG doing

Without 3 decent signings I certainly will be unhappy ... We would not be favourites for 4th IMO without them... This place will explode if things just fizzle out on the transfer front again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

irishfeen wrote: »
    LVG has been around the block a few times, he like SAF will know how to push young players buttons to tell if they are a men or boys. Manchester United is no place for a boys temperment.

I think there could be a bit of that to saying it publically. There could be alot of responsibility on Shaw this season and if he can't handle a bit of pressure, Van Gaal needs to know before the transfer window shuts.

• Advertisement

im going with the following, though of course the formation may determine 3 center backs as opposed to 2.

DDG
    ---Smalling
    Evans
    Vermaelen
    Valencia
    Shaw
    Herrera
    Cleverly

Mata

RVP
    Rooney

i think we will have one player signed before then (Vermaelen) and then one more to come in before deadline day, which is massively disappointing.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Id have to say I see no new signings before Aug 16th, now its not what Id like, but its what I see happening.

De Gea

Jones Evans Smalling
    Valencia
    Shaw
    Herrera Fletcher

Mata
    Welbeck

RVP
    Rooney

another poster putting up a team with 12 players????

only 11 can start a match!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

beakerjoe wrote: »

De Gea

Jones Evans Smalling
    Valencia
    Shaw
    Herrera Fletcher

Mata
    Welbeck

RVP
    Rooney

You think LVG will get away with playing with 12?!!!! :pac:

he is not a man utd player end of. he is your typical stoke, west ham, everton player. Playing up near top, long ball into him, chest control or flick on to the striker, elbows flying everywhere, going into tackles studs up, generally causing problems for the opposition but no where near utd standard. Not once last year did he take a ball down, look up and play a single through ball to a striker. His link up play is awful, he is slow, clumsy. I will be happy to see the back of him even if we had paid 10-15m for him

Are Fletcher, Cleverley and Anderson United players in your opinion. Because that is the other options we have right now.

Are Fletcher, Cleverley and Anderson United players in your opinion. Because that is the other options we have right now.

Anderson and cleverly no, fletcher yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

advertsfox wrote: »

That's in dollars so that's about 50ish euro?

Exchange rate is 1.3

ericzeking wrote: »
    You think LVG will get away with playing with 12?!!!! :pac:

when-questioned-about-man-utd-louis-van-gaal-replied-saying-its-a-stupid-question.jpg

De Gea

Smalling
    Vermalen
    Evans

---Rafael
    Shaw

Herrera
    Jones

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

Anderson and cleverly no, fletcher yes

This is the Fletcher who can't play regularly due to recovering from an illness. So you would be happy to see Fellaini go when we are left with two players you think are not good enough, a player who can't play regularly, an injured Carrick and Herrara. All with no signs of incoming midfielders. Ye i can see why you will be delighted to see the back of Fellaini.

• Advertisement

Reus available for €35 million,we just know he'll join Bayern though despite being one of those "specialist players" LVG needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

That's in dollars so that's about 50ish euro?

Exchange rate is 1.3
    Google says 59.3 so €60 million - wow!

Vidal has heard the call:pac:

Bts1n27CcAAynTr.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

De Gea
    ----Jones--Evans--New CB
    Raf/Val
    Shaw
    Herrera-New CM
    Mata
    Rooney-Welbeck

RVP, Kagawa, Januzaj, Fletcher, Smalling, Cleverley, Amos.

Really have no idea who the feck we are going to sign, but I am very confident that we will get a CM and a CB by the first game. I would say Vermalen is probably going to be the centre back. Midfield.... I have no idea. Vidal, maybe, feck knows. Maybe De Jong.

Zico wrote: »
    I think there could be a bit of that to saying it publically. There could be alot of responsibility on Shaw this season and if he can't handle a bit of pressure, Van Gaal needs to know before the transfer window shuts.
    That's my exact take on it too - we often hear that under LVG players either love him or hate him - this is a perfect example of how Luke could feel very hard done by being embarresed publicly but on the other hand if he reacts well in the eyes of LVG he will be one of the first names on the team sheet.

advertsfox wrote: »

the press outside of the UK are really driving this, this morning. was just talking to my mate who is from Turin and he says that Juve fans are starting to accept that he is leaving.

he also said that it looks like Juve are shaping up to change formation next season to accommodate the departure of Vidal.

• Advertisement

the press outside of the UK are really driving this, this morning. was just talking to my mate who is from Turin and he says that Juve fans are starting to accept that he is leaving.

he also said that it looks like Juve are shaping up to change formation next season to accommodate the departure of Vidal.

Don't you start now Homer! :pac:

My most international friend lives in England. I'm so un-cultured. :(

Homerjay with a hint of optimism..............This is ON!!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

zerks wrote: »
    Reus available for €35 million,we just know he'll join Bayern though despite being one of those "specialist players" LVG needs.
    Wouldn't be so sure, he turned them down when he moved from Gladbach to BVB.

He's not available for €35m till next summer anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

zerks wrote: »

Not till next summer. Buy out clause doesn't kick in till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

DDG

Smalling-Jones-Evans

Valencia
    Shaw

Herrera-Fletcher-Blind

Mata

Rooney-Van Persie

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement