Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

?

BtL1vMxIEAAx4iT.jpg:large
    @ManUtd
    Follow
    David Beckham wasn't the only ex-Red to come and see the team today. Thanks for the visit, Patrice! #mutour

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Hilarious is one word for him alright. Hes saying hes in Ireland people questioned the Meteor on the top left of this pic

40793309bd8002ac9e0a0e0bd5512e44.png

Haha was actually reading articles there saying Shaqiri has entered talks with Juventus and once the purchase is complete they will start looking at offers for Vidal.

He might be the sources all the papers can't mention ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

macslash wrote: »
    Are many people planning on watching the game tomorrow night?

Without a doubt, can't wait to see how the fringe players do. I imagine some players will step up this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'll be watching it for sure, only have to stay up a couple of hours longer than normal anyway! Be nice to see some actual football, LvG's first of many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yep. I'm going to it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mars Bar wrote: »

Miss La-Dee-Da.:P:P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Are any of the sports channels showing it? Or is it MUTV only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭macslash

Mars Bar wrote: »

ah fair play! I expect an in depth analysis afterwards! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

LVG, Shaw and Herrera all up for the press conference....which is in a few minutes by the sounds of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Van Gaal is not being shy about criticising the commercial demands of the tour during this presser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There's an interview up on MEN of one of the lads over on the tour saying that 433 is what Van Gaal is looking to play.

And that he has been using Cleverley and Ander as the advanced midfielders with a sitting midfielder in behind. Seems to think we will be lining up like this when everyone is fit

........Carrick.......
    ....Ander Cleverley...
    ..Mata RVP Rooney..

Have to say that's not what I wanted to hear at all, but I'll stay positive and see how it turns out if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The only noteworthy thing he said about transfers was....
    "The focus at this club is to buy young players not experienced players. I am always in favour of young players."

Doesn't sound very promising for those of us hoping for a superstar signing or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

That pretty much rules Vidal out..

Fúck sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

J. Marston wrote: »

Doesn't sound very promising for those of us hoping for a superstar signing or two.

Seems odd considering it's apparently van gaal that is pushing the vermealen transfer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I cannot believe that people are disputing that Beckham's "greatness" is not commensurate with his playing ability.

And I have never seen such a volume of straw man stuff. I do actually like David Beckham and he did very well at United during a glorious period of our history. He was an excellent footballer.

I simply believe that his relative position within the roll of greats at United and worldwide is inflated because of his profile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I cannot believe that people are disputing that Beckham's "greatness" is not commensurate with his playing ability.

And I have never seen such a volume of straw man stuff. I do actually like David Beckham and he did very well at United during a glorious period of our history. He was an excellent footballer.

I simply believe that his relative position within the roll of greats at United and worldwide is inflated because of his profile.

yawn.gif

Anyway.

I do think we will sign at least one "big name" player before the window shuts.

The likes of Hummels hasnt a hope of happening, Vidal is looking increasingly unlikely however I do think there is an outside chance, though Id expect Monaco to go on a bit of a spree after losing Rodriguez.

Even if we dont get a marquee signing, once we get 2 or 3 decent additions in the key positions I will be happy enough.

The squad is severely lacking in places so if we do enough to get back into the top 4 I will consider it a good season, perhaps a good FA cup run too.

All in all, I cannot wait for the season to start, havnt anticipated a season as much in quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

J. Marston wrote: »

aka sign me some dutch players please.

Three and a half weeks left before the season starts. Starting to get very pessimistic about our chances of getting a couple of decent players that we need (CB & CM). Gradually accepting that we are going into the new season with the squad we currently have.

Underwhelmed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Three and a half weeks left before the season starts. Starting to get very pessimistic about our chances of getting a couple of decent players that we need (CB & CM). Gradually accepting that we are going into the new season with the squad we currently have.

Underwhelmed.

At least wait until the transfer window is over before getting 'underwhelmed'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Heavens above saw 15 pages on new thread, though wahey a new signing or twitter BS
    Saw debate about beckham's legacy...
    Underwhelmed...

At the risk of stoking the embers again, whilst no one doubts his ability and he certainly was a great player his image proppelled him higher than his ability. Whilst he was a great platyer he was arguably the weakest link in the midfield four of the great side of '99. That does not take away from what he did for the club during his time with us.

Also whomever was claiming he was 2nd best player in the world in 99, well we all know thats about as reliable as a chocolate tea pot..
    Sure who got PFA player of the year that season??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Seems all the journos have been briefed that our targets are Hummels, De Vrij, Vermaelen and Blind....and that we arent in for Vidal.....

Hmm, after Woodwards interview those targets outside of Hummels are a bit low key. Andy Mitten saying the club arent hopeful of a deal for Hummels as Dortmund are not for selling.

Daley Blind would be a great signing i think, can play LB, CB and CM...

Strange the way the club is breifing targets but all of them defensive........what midfielders are we after.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lets hope LVG is just playing this safe and low key, cause even i might turn to dark side.:pac::(

I'll be overjoyed if we get the right players in before the end of the window - but they should be signed before the season starts.
    If we go in as we are, or just adding one or two average defenders, I'll be rather underwhelmed yes. And rightfully so. Richest club in the world and we're skeleton thin at the back, and have players like Cleverley, Carrick and Fletcher as midfield options. Groundhog day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Your problem is that you are saying that people venerate Beckham more because of the media profile when in fact its the other way around, too many people like to dismiss his achievements because they think its all part of a media profile. It wasn't, the guy was an amazing footballer.

Take away the good looks and media profile and you have a player who's performances on the field were world class. Nobody thinks he was as good as Messi or Maradona, thats your straw man, but Beckham was undoubtedly a world class footballer that walked into the biggest clubs of his era and was incredibly successful.

By the way, between 1995 and his departure in 2003 Beckham scored 84 goals. In the same period Ryan Giggs scored 73.

I'll be overjoyed if we get the right players in before the end of the window - but they should be signed before the season starts.
    If we go in as we are, or just adding one or two average defenders, I'll be rather underwhelmed yes. And rightfully so. Richest club in the world and we're skeleton thin at the back, and have players like Cleverley, Carrick and Fletcher as midfield options. Groundhog day.

If United start the season without having properly addressed the serious squad problems then Woodward and LVG should get exactly the same criticism Moyes got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭billyhead

If we dont spend any more money this window and get genuine quality in for both the defence and midfield we are still risking missing out on 4th place next season. We cant afford another year without CL football. I belive the Woodwards comments about the money being available is genuine and its a matter of LVG identifying the players he needs and wants and EW trying to negotiate a transfer. Ultimately the buck stops with the maneger so if it is a case that we miss out on a top 4 place next season then LVG should cop the blame. In saying that I have faith in him that he will deliver the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Jeez, why all the negativity lads?

Have a little faith.:p

Though I still think Ed Woodward would struggle to buy a used car, Van Gaal has Messianic qualities and I think he could mount a title challenge even without any more signings.

How's that for positivity?:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

And I worried LVG and Rooney would clash...

http://instagram.com/p/qx2cwxnwcr/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I think they will clash and ultimately end Rooneys United Career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

If the Hummells deal looks like a dead duck then I'd like to see a bid for Subotic. He's another top centre back. Or maybe Diego Godin if Athletico were willing to sell? Cuadrado could also be a good buy but not at the reported 30m. Half of that would seem more realistic.

The beckham argument will split many people. He loved his hollywood passes, was a great free kick taker and could cross with the best of them. However, his like of the spectacular sometimes went against him as a 5 yard pass would sometimes have been more effective than a 60 yard pass. His sulking about wanting to play centre mid was also a downside, especially when he clearly was not suited to the position.Fortunately for him, his looks, advertsising and the CL success in 99 will ensure he remains on lists of the best footballers of the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

stooge wrote: »
    If the Hummells deal looks like a dead duck then I'd like to see a bid for Subotic. He's another top centre back. Or maybe Diego Godin if Athletico were willing to sell? Cuadrado could also be a good buy but not at the reported 30m. Half of that would seem more realistic.

The beckham argument will split many people. He loved his hollywood passes, was a great free kick taker and could cross with the best of them. However, his like of the spectacular sometimes went against him as a 5 yard pass would sometimes have been more effective than a 60 yard pass. His sulking about wanting to play centre mid was also a downside, especially when he clearly was not suited to the position.Fortunately for him, his looks, advertsising and the CL success in 99 will ensure he remains on lists of the best footballers of the last few years.

Fiorentina paid €15m for half of him last month , So no £15m would not be more realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

so much for learning from last year and getting our business done early then eh?

im sure you and every single one of us on here would have expected more by now, considering the big need that we have especially in defence and considering the club are talking about signing the best players since February - right now we have signed nobody in terms of proven world class quality that we have been crying out for, for 5 years.

underwhelming is the best, perhaps only word that can be used to describe the situation as it is right now. of course until the windows closes there is always hope, but based on previous years the majority of the time we are left disappointed so its only fair that people expect more of the same.

We will sign 3 more players and i am sure of that, not because of the genius of our great CE or because we are loaded, purely because we have no choice but to do so- carrick is out for 3 months and 3 defenders have left, so there is at least 3 gaps in our first 11 still at the moment.

The only signing that appears to be advanced is Vermaelen, which would just add to that underwhelming feeling as he (along with Herrera) is a player that very few (perhaps nobody) on this forum would have wanted to sign 3 months ago when the season was coming to an end.

we all hope that Woodie will pull off a Hummels or a Vidal, but we are more likely to get a De Vrij and a de Jong as opposed to them 2. in one respect, you are right in terms of saying wait until the end as with LVG now on board anything is possible, but surely you will accept that people would have wanted more progress by now with the season so close?

its time for Woodward to deliver as opposed to telling everybody how great we are and how much money he has to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

so much for learning from last year and getting our business done early then eh?

Business was done before the end of June, I'd say that's pretty early! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

ArturON?
    New Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has been told he can break the world transfer record as he looks to bring players to Old Trafford this summer.

Guardian.

Exactly. While I understand and appreciate the circumstances surrounding LVG it is still only just a few weeks until the start of the season and there is a hell of a lot of work still needs done.

Even if we get signings once again they will have missed pre-season. It shouldn't be like this yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

One of the greatest examples of the Beckham myth ever!

It was Greece...at Wembley!

And had he not scored, they'd have had a playoff against a cannon fodder side.

Absolute Sky hype and spin. It is mad stuff like this that has elevated Beckham in people's minds.

you say that as if Greece were some sort of minnow san marino team.

first of all the game was at Old Trafford, surely you would remember that and 2nd of all the same Greece them went on to win win Euro 2004

and you say "had he not scored" well he did, when it mattered most, that's what made him a world class player

Business was done before the end of June, I'd say that's pretty early! :pac:

your view of our business "done" is obviously much different to mine then, especially considering we have a need for at least 3 more players.

lets not forget, the gap to the top was huge last season and they all have improved their squads, while we very much at the moment are in building/replacing mode. i dont think the Suarez deal will impact Liverpool as much as all of ye seem to think, they have done ok so far with their deals, Remy is a super signing for them IMO and id rather have him in a striking options than Welbeck or Hernandez for instance. if Sturridge keeps up his 2014 form through to next year, they will be a serious threat and i would expect them to add another 2 players.

the only thing that is reassuring me is that Van Gall maybe able to get the best out of these players that Fergie did.

So today is a negative day....

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

your view of our business "done" is obviously much different to mine then, especially considering we have a need for at least 3 more players.

Ah I was kidding with you homer, trying to lighten the mood. ie. No more signings means business was done when Shaw signed. The PL is back in a couple of weeks, it's gonna be awesome, cheer up! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Juan handing out lady boners.

bnGrVMf.jpg

Lord TSC wrote: »
    So today is a negative day....

:(

i dont see how people can view others discussing whats happening right now, as being negative????

its a message forum ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Woodward seems like a complete clown.

It's often enough a pain that clubs ramp up the price just because it's United, without him announcing to anyone who'll listen that he's got enough cash to break all the records going.

It's like trying to haggle on the price of a second hand car when you've got half a million quid poking out of your pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

DrPhilG wrote: »

It's often enough a pain that clubs ramp up the price just because it's United, without him announcing to anyone who'll listen that he's got enough cash to break all the records going.

It's like trying to haggle on the price of a second hand car when you've got half a million quid poking out of your pockets.
    agreed on this point, he's like a giddy child "Look at all mah moneh, we need players, please come and take mah moneh"

He should shut the hell up for a few weeks and stop "briefing" the press, he's actually making the whole thing look small time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

i dont see how people can view others discussing whats happening right now, as being negative????

its a message forum ffs.

Exactly, its not necessarily negative, just realistic viewpoints. We cant all expect Woodward to succeed and after last year its natural to be skeptical about more new signings.

its a message forum ffs.

When I wake up and go through ten pages of people giving out about Beckham, Woodward, transfers, our possible league positions, then it's a negative start to the thread, IMO. That's not saying there isn't merits to the points or that people aren't entitled to discuss them, so please don't imply that's what I am saying.

Just that after the wave of positivity over the last few months, we do seem to be back to discussing the worst scenarios. I miss the positivity. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

There is a massive difference between being negative and being a doom merchant. There are a few doom merchants around here lately and it would appear that Woodward is on standby to be their scapegoat again.

glued wrote: »
    There is a massive difference between being negative and being a doom merchant. There are a few doom merchants around here lately and it would appear that Woodward is on standby to be their scapegoat again.

likewise, theirs about a dozen posters on here who have their head in the sands thinking everything right now is great.

same happens every summer and until the club gets it act in gear, the "doom merchants" will be the ones who are correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Can't we just go back to hating on Nani & Welbeck? Such simpler, peaceful times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

DrPhilG wrote: »

While I agree it would be probably better if he kept his trap shut and did a bit of business but it's all about brand United ... Listen to his interviews - we ARE the biggest club in the world he proclaims and we have the spending power to match. If it was any other business people would stand up and applaud such confidence and success.

I think it could be a case of fighting back from some peoples view that United are old school and unwilling to change, I'm sure we could easily sign the worlds most expensive player in the morning but the fact is and Real have shown us over the last decade that you cannot be guarenteed trophies ...clubs don't need to break the transfer ceiling to be successful and Mr Woodward is indeed letting the world know at the moment we choose not to rather then cannot afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Dont really get the reasons why everyone has gone so negative again, is it just because it looks like we are not getting Vidal? This isnt really news as Utd have been briefing that they are not in for him with the last month. We just have to be patient and see what LVG and Ed deliver, the focus at the moment with them is clearly on the defence after it was briefed to journalists last night that out targets are Hummels, Blind, De Vrij and Ver,aelen, I would guess that after the defence is sorted we may see interest in another midfielder pick up.

I for one am very positive about the new season, see us back in top four and cant wait for August 16th :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement