Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

TheDoc wrote: »
    I love how for some reason no one gives a flying **** about tapping up anymore

I thought it was ok with foreign negotiations, not domestic?

Heard that somewhere, may be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Ah I've a good few mates from Waterford and I still don't cop the "Well boy" :)

Thats cos its "well boi" ye langer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Is this real life?

yea, just because he is not from south America or doesn't have a fancy name he is not good enough for united?

excellent for everton last season, can actually pass a football would be a great addition to the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

bangkok wrote: »
    just on vidal, today is the first time ive seen his odds on staying at juventus drift out...

Ignore the bookies, odds tell you nothing re transfer dealings! Just out interest what bookie is that your getting odds on him to stay. was looking last week and couldn't find a price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

yea, just because he is not from south America or doesn't have a fancy name he is not good enough for united?

Wat.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I love how for some reason no one gives a flying **** about tapping up anymore

Funny isn’t it – not so long since Chelsea and Cashley got mauled because he had dinner with Morinhio while still at Arsenal and seems like only yesterday the Jaap was shown the door at United for admitting they had done the same with him.

I wonder if we just “left” Nani, Cleverly, Fellani, Anderson and Young in a bar somewhere in London would someone come along and tap them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

MagicIRL wrote: »
    We're 5/2 on Sky Bet to sign James McCarthy? Who the hell is lumping money on that?!

They have him 5/2 to United for weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

excellent for everton last season, can actually pass a football would be a great addition to the squad

And he would cost a hell of a lot more than £10-15 million, seeing as Everton paid £13million last summer, and he has had a very good season. You'd be looking at the same money we spent on Fellaini

duffman13 wrote: »
    Ignore the bookies, odds tell you nothing re transfer dealings! Just out interest what bookie is that your getting odds on him to stay. was looking last week and couldn't find a price

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/arturo-vidal/club-after-summer-transfer-window

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I think he found the price tag you quoted to be incredulous... not the idea of him coming to United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Coat22 wrote: »
    I wonder if we just “left” Nani, Cleverly, Fellani, Anderson and Young in a bar somewhere in London would someone come along and tap them up?

If someone bought drugs off them it would save a fortune by cancelling their contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Whats the Rues news lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Can’t understand why we didn’t move for him last year – as a squad player though – Martinez seems to like Cleverly so maybe he’ll take him as part of the deal.

I fail to see how James McCarthy is in anyway a good signing for us, really don't see it.

I'd say a Cleverly with confidence could do the same job.

I think he found the price tag you quoted to be incredulous... not the idea of him coming to United.

well everton paid 13m for him and he got even better than he did at wigan so theres not a hope in hell of getting him for the price I quoted 10-15 hence why I said he would be a good addition at that price but I would imagine everton would be looking for 20m + if we were to go for him (I wouldn't pay that though)

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Whats the Rues news lads?

he turned down a contract offer from dortmund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

he turned down a contract offer from dortmund

Surely Liverpool bound so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Bill Kenwright would quote £28.5 million again just for ****s and giggles.

27m buyout clause, kagawa + 12m

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

If Liverpool get Reus fair play to them, still won't stop me crying myself to sleep at the thought of him in a liverpool jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

If its only 27m we should go get him, what a signing he would be. Can't see it though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Reus would be better than Di Maria, but would prefer to spend the money and get Hummels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Buyout clause isn't active till next summer though.

That's another thing that annoyed me about the Fellaini transfer, we helped Everton buy McCarthy, who I thought would have been a decent buy for us.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Buyout clause isn't active till next summer though.

yes and I think he will go to Barcelona anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Zico wrote: »
    That's another thing that annoyed me about the Fellaini transfer, we helped Everton buy McCarthy, who I thought would have been a decent buy for us.

Imagine the uproar if our only signing last summer was from a championship club!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yes and I think he will go to Barcelona anyway

Where exactly is Reus going to play in a frontline three consisting of Neymar, Suarez and Messi?

And a midfield three that contains Iniesta, Busquets and Rakitic, with Xavi still knocking about.

I also hardly see him going to Bayern who's front three consist of Gotze and Muller.

To be fair I'm not sure how he fits into a 3-5-2 with wingbacks either that we will be using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Where exactly is Reus going to play in a frontline three consisting of Neymar, Suarez and Messi?

And a midfield three that contains Iniesta, Busquets and Rakitic, with Xavi still knocking about.
    Centre Mid

Yeah not really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Reus is a fantastic player, I'd rather him than Bale tbh

30 goals and 20+ assists in his 50 league appearances for Dortmund

Read an interview with James McCarthy and heres a piece from it.
    When I ask, McCarthy about the speculation he says: “If a club like Manchester United are interested, obviously you are doing a good job.” Then with a laugh he adds: “We will see what happens.”

I doubt we will be making an approach for him this year but even when he first moved to Everton felt like he would spend 2-3 season there and then move on. Would love to see him with United in the future. Working with Roy Keane will no doubt help him improve even more as a player in the next year or two.

Imagine the uproar if our only signing last summer was from a championship club!

As opposed to the success that was Fellani for 27.5M from an Everton chairman who couldn’t believe his luck? We were hardly shopping on Rodeo Drive there!

Every Everton fan I know (and I know quite a few for some reason) couldn’t understand at the time why United had not gone for McCarthy ahead of Fellani last season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Every Everton fan I know (and I know quite a few for some reason) couldn’t understand at the time why United had not gone for McCarthy ahead of Fellani last season

Two words: David Moyes.

I also hardly see him going to Bayern who's front three consist of Gotze and Muller.

To be fair I'm not sure how he fits into a 3-5-2 with wingbacks either that we will be using.

that's not my problem where he plays, but its my opinion that he will go there next year. I cannot see Dortmund letting both Lewandowski and reus leave in the one summer

Reus is a fantastic player, I'd rather him than Bale tbh

30 goals and 20+ assists in his 50 league appearances for Dortmund

reus over bale? ah now don't know about that, I would have bale in the top 5 players in the world right now. he is an absolute world class player and I think he will have an even better year this year with Madrid after he has a full pre season behind him

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Two words: David Moyes.

….which made it all the more baffling – Moyes knew what he was getting (or not getting) with Fellani

Site Management should be looking at insurance for such things in future. Things went a bit mad on deadline day as it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

that's not my problem where he plays, but its my opinion that he will go there next year. I cannot see Dortmund letting both Lewandowski and reus leave in the one summer

But will they be as keen to let another star player go for a reduced fee as could happen if they wait another year? Can't imagine they'll want to make a habit of it.

All this said lads, he could just want more money and be happy enough to stay. He hasn't issued a come and get me plea (yet).

I know VG has said he won't buy for the sake of it, and how he won't do any panic buys. But surely he has an idea of what players he would like and in what areas we need. I just don't want to get to the stage where all our main targets have committed to current clubs or have moved already.

I'll just have to wait anxiously this month but I'm sure he knows what he's doing, he's a very experienced manager and my experience peaks at managing Lincoln City in FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

advertsfox wrote: »
    Comment on Sky Sports about Shaw not being fit enough and needing his own training :P

The Shaw fitness thing could easily be LVG playing mind games but for me it does further highlight one important thing.

Forget the transfer fee, Shaw is still just a kid and we can in no way assume that he is going to be a success for us this season. He is younger than Zaha and look what happened there, yet everybody expects Shaw to be an integral part of the team this year. I of course hope that he does perform, but its definitely not a certain thing.

Some people are concerned that yet again our transfer dealings are extremely lacking, and in response people smugly point to the arrivals of Shaw and Herrera. But we have what, five senior defenders? What are we going to do if Shaw takes time to find his feet? Shall we look forward to Ashley Young as a wing back?

(Of course, on here the answer to that question alternates between "Sheesh you really think LVG won't buy players" and "Sheesh LVG needs time to assess his squad". )

I wonder if Van Gaal is giving his Dutch squad targets the same time off as Van Persie before instigating any approach for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Looks like Schneiderlin is heading to Spurs could do worse than sound out the availability of Sandro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Looks like Schneiderlin is heading to Spurs could do worse than sound out the availability of Sandro.

Problem is we'd have to pay loads and he has awful injury problems.

If the possibility arises to replace Cleverley with McCarthy with not much outlay it is 100% a no brainier

Younger, technically better and a polar opposite to Cleverley in that he will show for the ball even in tight spaces and look for a forward pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

If the possibility arises to replace Cleverley with McCarthy with not much outlay it is 100% a no brainier

Younger, technically better and a polar opposite to Cleverley in that he will show for the ball even in tight spaces and look for a forward pass

considering the money we'd have to pay them, i dont think Mccarthy is much of an upgrade on Cleverly and Fletcher in terms of impact on the team right now.

if mccarthy is they type of signing we are going after, then id question our ambition or more to the point, ability to attract top players to the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

advertsfox wrote: »
    Comment on Sky Sports about Shaw not being fit enough and needing his own training :P

"Never mind Luke, keep your chin up... both of them! haha!"

Who said that? Was it the legend Rob Wotton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

By watching this video you'll understand the process behind LVG's selection process :)

considering the money we'd have to pay them, i dont think Mccarthy is much of an upgrade on Cleverly and Fletcher in terms of impact on the team right now.

if mccarthy is they type of signing we are going after, then id question our ambition or more to the point, ability to attract top players to the club.

I'd see it as replacing a squad player with higher quality one with more potential.

We would still need to buy starting midfielders no doubt

You'd have hated Denis Irwin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Zico wrote: »
    You'd have hated Denis Irwin.

What?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thou shall not speak no Evil in this thread about Denis Irwin

• Advertisement

I'd see it as replacing a squad player with higher quality one with more potential.

We would still need to buy starting midfielders no doubt

Totally agree. McCarthy would represent a significant improvement in quality and potential on any of the mid fielders who are there at the moment.

I’d much rather we bought him and off loaded 2 or 3 others but as RW points out we would still need to buy a more established player to run the centre of the pitch – he would not be first choice for united at this stage.

The only thing is the price. We’d probably end up dropping another £20+ on him and you would have to think this would be better off spent on going after someone already at the top of their game but I’m starting to believe united will struggle to attract such a player. Not just because of CL football but in general United will always (and have always) struggle to attract the top talent due to lifestyle choices (Manchester, Barcelona, London, Rome, Munich – you pick)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement