Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Coat22 wrote: »
    Totally agree. McCarthy would represent a significant improvement in quality and potential on any of the mid fielders who are there at the moment.

I’d much rather we bought him and off loaded 2 or 3 others but as RW points out we would still need to buy a more established player to run the centre of the pitch – he would not be first choice for united at this stage.

The only thing is the price. We’d probably end up dropping another £20+ on him and you would have to think this would be better off spent on going after someone already at the top of their game but I’m starting to believe united will struggle to attract such a player. Not just because of CL football but in general United will always (and have always) struggle to attract the top talent due to lifestyle choices (Manchester, Barcelona, London, Rome, Munich – you pick)

yes because yaya toure, Sergio aguero, david silva, Ruud van nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Vidic, Ferdinand, cantona, van persie wouldn't live in Manchester :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Headshot wrote: »
    Thou shall not speak no Evil in this thread about Denis Irwin

Useless **** hit the post from artillery range against Juve in Turin '99:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

bangkok wrote: »
    yes because yaya toure, Sergio aguero, david silva, Ruud van nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Vidic, Ferdinand, cantona, van persie wouldn't live in Manchester :p

Apart from the Aguero and Toure (and the allure of oil dollars) this list is a rubbish argument.

Silva was struggling at Valencia, Ronaldo an unknown kid who couldn’t wait to get out once he’d proved himself, Vidic moved from Moscow, RVN from Holland, Cantona and Ferdinand from exotic Leeds. RVP maybe the exception but I don’t remember too many top clubs lining up for him at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Zico wrote: »
    You'd have hated Denis Irwin.

not sure what you are getting at here, football transfers are a completely different animal now to what they were 20 years ago.

he was signed as a player who had 7 league seasons behind him, playing on average 40 games a season before that for 4 years at the top level of the English game.

his transfer fee was actually pretty high at the time and we knew what were buying - a top class full back. comparing Irwin to anybody is away wide of the mark.

to put things into perspective, it would be the equivilent of us signing Ashley Cole 3 or 4 years ago for £15million.

not sure what you are getting at here, football transfers are a completely different animal now to what they were 20 years ago.

he was signed as a player who had 7 league seasons behind him, playing on average 40 games a season before that for 4 years at the top level of the English game.

his transfer fee was actually pretty high at the time and we knew what were buying - a top class full back. comparing Irwin to anybody is away wide of the mark.

to put things into perspective, it would be the equivilent of us signing Ashley Cole 3 or 4 years ago for £15million.

Well hardly – he was playing for Oldham at the time and had yet to establish himself in the Ireland team so its hardly comparable to Cole of 3 or 4 years ago – I would argue more like Baines 4 or 5 seasons ago – but are spot on that’s it’s a completely different world. At the time nobody moved to England from European clubs (with few exceptions) so shopping at Oldham was as exotic as it got.

Of course the best thing about signing Irwin (fabulous player that he was) wasn’t that we signed Irwin – it made Howard Wilkinson pick up that phone in Nov ’92 to see if he was available and ended with us signing Cantona and the rest…….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

It's nice that you've taken all this time to look up statistics but... Denis Irwin is a god and gods don't need statistics... if James McCarthy becomes a god, neither will he.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Kheidira to United would be a huge step up on what we already have, don't know why they're not throwing their hat in there to replace Carrick. 20 million pounds is cheap enough too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Kheidira to United would be a huge step up on what we already have, don't know why they're not throwing their hat in there to replace Carrick. 20 million pounds is cheap enough too.

Could very well happen yet. LVG still evaluating the squad and may deem it necessary to get someone like Khedira. I reckon he is fixated on getting strootman though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Baffling comparison.
    I don't think Irwin had been capped at all when he signed for United, whereas Ashley Cole 3 or 4 years ago had already played in 3 world cups, 2 european championships, had won every domestic honour in England, and was probably regarded as one of the top players in the world in his position.
    Comparison with McCarthy's current profile is far more apt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

LostBoy101 wrote: »

By watching this video you'll understand the process behind LVG's selection process :)

He sounds even more imposing in his native language!!!!

No messin under this fellow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Soups123 wrote: »
    Guardiola says hello

Pep had a track record at the barca second team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Baffling comparison.
    I don't think Irwin had been capped at all when he signed for United, whereas Ashley Cole 3 or 4 years ago had already played in 3 world cups, 2 european championships, had won every domestic honour in England, and was probably regarded as one of the top players in the world in his position.
    Comparison with McCarthy's current profile is far more apt.

comparing James Mccarthy to Denis Irwin is baffling. comparing the best full back in England at the time, to the best full back in England at the time is not.

you are looking at it without realising there are two totally different sets of circumstances and generations involved here, football was a completely different world back then and no matter what way you look at it, Irwin was a highly rated full back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Pep had a track record at the barca second team.

Ole 20 legend has a record at our reserve/U21 team should we appoint him as our manager???

Nada

brinty wrote: »
    Ole 20 legend has a record at our reserve/U21 team should we appoint him as our manager???

I'm not saying we should. Pep was the exception, wouldnt let giggs near the job atm. Pep had the b team playing unreal stuff by some accounts.

comparing James Mccarthy to Denis Irwin is baffling. comparing the best full back in England at the time, to the best full back in England at the time is not.

you are looking at it without realising there are two totally different sets of circumstances and generations involved here, football was a completely different world back then and no matter what way you look at it, Irwin was a highly rated full back.

He wasn’t even the best Irish full back in England at the time. In fact it wasn’t until he put in a storming performance for Oldham against United in the FA Cup semi-final that the world (and Ferguson) took notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

He wasn’t even the best Irish full back in England at the time. In fact it wasn’t until he put in a storming performance for Oldham against United in the FA Cup semi-final that the world (and Ferguson) took notice.

Off topic and pedantic mode: Can you sort your font out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Many would argue Irwin set the blueprint for the modern day fullback, and I'd tend to agree.

Irwin was not the best fullback when he joined. Cole had a serious career over nearly a decade of top level performances, you're being disingenuous and bending things here.

Edit: You can ignore this, same basic point was on the previous page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

adox wrote: »
    Off topic and pedantic mode: Can you sort your font out?

His posts are unreadable in the dark theme. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

LostBoy101 wrote: »

By watching this video you'll understand the process behind LVG's selection process :)

That was super! Watched it in work with no sound but English subtitles. Some amount of work goes in to his team! I will be beyond shocked if Strootman doesn't sign for United before the end of the season.

Maybe that's the hold up with Vidal? LvG would rather have Strootman?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'd love to see McCarthy some day wearing a United shirt. McCarthy and Coleman are two players I have wanted at United for a while. Both players are solid performers and seem to be improving each season. Maybe being Irish has skewed my view on this though. McCarthy is being tracked by big clubs apparently so there is no doubting his ability and potential.

Don't understand why people are comparing him with Irwin to be honest. How did that start ha!

I'm not saying we should. Pep was the exception, wouldnt let giggs near the job atm. Pep had the b team playing unreal stuff by some accounts.

true Donnie and he had a lot of players coming through to replace some of the stagnant players

i.e Busquets, Pedro, Bojan, Pique et all to replace the Ronaldinho's, Deco's etc

And i echo your sentiments Giggs shouldn't be close to conisderation for manager of United at the present time. If he went off and did it elsewhere and came back fine but not a chance without experience. How many of Fergies former players can you really say have been successful managers.. All have been average at best and maybe won 1 or 2 trophies so the whole thing of well he learnt from the master won't wash with me. Prove it and then you can become Manchester United Manager

MagicIRL wrote: »
    That was super! Watched it in work with no sound but English subtitles. Some amount of work goes in to his team! I will be beyond shocked if Strootman doesn't sign for United before the end of the season.

Maybe that's the hold up with Vidal? LvG would rather have Strootman?

If we are to get Strootman I'd imagine it will be January after they see how his recovery goes. You never know what could happen though. Long way to go before then.

...seems like only yesterday the Jaap was shown the door at United for admitting they had done the same with him.

Why do you change the colour of your posts?

Also I'd guess Jaap leaving was something to do with doping since he got snared pretty soon afterwards didnt he?

Ross Barkley anyone? Rumour of the day? Doesn’t do it for me – more “potential” than the actual real deal which unfortunately is what United are hopelessly missing. I think “potential” is something we should go after once we’ve fixed the here and now and Barkley doesn’t represent proven mid field leadership at this stage (plus Everton would undoubtedly rob us blind again and we’d be happy for it)

Barkley has just signed a 4 year contract with Everton – Guardian were on the ball there – his agent planted that story at the right time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Mark Ogden wrote:
    “The word from Manchester United is contradictory, and it has been for a few days,” he told Hawksbee and Jacobs . “The message we have been getting is not to take any notice of the reports because it’s not happening.

“The noises coming out of Chile and Italy are so strong though that something may be going on behind the scenes.

“We’ve been told there is no direct contact with Juventus. Obviously that doesn’t mean there can’t be contact with associated parties. It seems to be a story that won’t go away.”

http://talksport.com/football/man-uniteds-links-vidal-just-wont-go-away-claims-ogden-140729104497

Headshot wrote: »
    Thou shall not speak no Evil in this thread about Denis Irwin

Double negative!

Irwin was muck... (I feel filthy)

Jesus lads any chance of a bit of positivity in here today
    Its kind of depressing reading
    We've had
    petty squabbles between little girls
    comparisons between james McCarthy, Denis Iriwn and Ashley Cole???
    Is Vidal coming or going
    Some Pirlo love...

There's a game tonight FFS, lets have a talk about that and what team we might see from LVG, will it be a bit closer to his main team.

Also just on the shaw fitness thing, is this a sign by LVG that he knows he needs Daley Blind in now and that why he's not pursued De Vrij?? Blind could play LCB, LWB or CM.. so he can fit into LVG's system no matter what way its played..

• Advertisement

Why do you change the colour of your posts?

Also I'd guess Jaap leaving was something to do with doping since he got snared pretty soon afterwards didnt he?

I don't - I normally type messages in Outlook so that anyone walking by my desk doesn't see me sitting here writing posts on bulletin boards all day and thinks I'm just writing an email :)

Sometimes I forget to change the default font to Verdana 10 which is what is used on here but have never changed anything else:confused:

We are also using Internet Explorer 1.0 which might explain a few things - must complain to management about quality of internet experience:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

IE 1.0? Mother of God! Are you running Windows 98 as well?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

We are also using Internet Explorer 1.0 which might explain a few things - must complain to management about quality of internet experience:D:D

:eek:

sheeeeet, that's old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

v3ttel wrote: »
    Carlow, lad?

About 7 miles or so away.... :)

I don't - I normally type messages in Outlook so that anyone walking by my desk doesn't see me sitting here writing posts on bulletin boards all day and thinks I'm just writing an email :)

Sometimes I forget to change the default font to Verdana 10 which is what is used on here but have never changed anything else:confused:

Can you rightclick and paste special when pasting so, it should fill it in without changing the colour i think (dont do it so not sure).

IE 1, where the hell do you work the 90s?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    IE 1.0? Mother of God! Are you running Windows 98 as well?!

Well ok - its IE 8.0 but still prehistoric and Windows XP - but compared to my 3 year old laptop at home it feels like I'm back in Windows 3.0 (that was the one before '95 kiddies)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I really want to see if IE1 will work on my Windows 8 laptop when I get home now. And whether there exists a page on the web that will still load on it.

Anyone hear anything regarding team lineup tonight? I know Zaha come on up front in the second half but anything else? Should we expect a very similar one to the team that went out against LA Galaxy with possibly Blackett starting instead of Shaw?

Well ok - its IE 8.0 but still prehistoric and Windows XP - but compared to my 3 year old laptop at home it feels like I'm back in Windows 3.0 (that was the one before '95 kiddies)

Mavis Beacon on windows 3.1 and Jetstrike

We had a comodore 64 too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Isn't the game Wednesday?

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything regarding team lineup tonight? I know Zaha come on up front in the second half but anything else? Should we expect a very similar one to the team that went out against LA Galaxy with possibly Blackett starting instead of Shaw?

Smalling is getting the full 90 i think (and maybe captain for the day), not sure what to expect apart from that!

• Advertisement

Isn't the game Wednesday?

After midnight tonight is Wednesday!

I really want to see if IE1 will work on my Windows 8 laptop when I get home now. And whether there exists a page on the web that will still load on it.

Doubt it, I'm downloading and emulator and playing pokemon today (nostalgia overload brought to mind in here)

Windows 3.1
    Hot Dog Stand

Aaaahhhhh the 90's...

6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86d4df2970b-pi.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Is the vidal deal dead after Allegri presser today? Seemed to confirm he was staying from what little I found on Twitter.

Does the line up in these matches mean anything really? I very much doubt it - doesn't have a full squad back yet and I would argue its more about getting players (particularly the wing backs) used to the system. Doubt the team sheet will look anything like these games in a week or two.

West Ham seal valencia deal

Different Valenica

dahat wrote: »
    Is the vidal deal dead after Allegri presser today? Seemed to confirm he was staying from what little I found on Twitter.

Nobody knows really, Allegri made the same comments about Silva & Ibra not leaving 2 years ago and look what happened there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

dahat wrote: »

Saw articles saying he said the same before Ibra and Silva moved from AC Milan. And as manager, he could just be running with the positive party line.

Not, mind, that I think we're getting him. Just that it won't stop journalists talking until Vidal actually comes out, looks down a camera and goes "I am not leaving Juvi"....

Yeah while it's great to have games to watch and all, I wouldn't be reading too much into these games.

Smalling is getting the full 90 i think (and maybe captain for the day), not sure what to expect apart from that!

Is being made captain the kiss of death on this tour?? So far we've had Fletcher and Cleverly and now Smalling - all seemingly heading for the exit door - if Kagawa is offered it he should run for the hills.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement