Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Windows 3.1
    Hot Dog Stand

Aaaahhhhh the 90's...

6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86d4df2970b-pi.png

HJlHnzn.png

Extra points for matching colour scheme to outfit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Coat22 wrote: »
    Is being made captain the kiss of death on this tour?? So far we've had Fletcher and Cleverly and now Smalling - all seemingly heading for the exit door - if Kagawa is offered it he should run for the hills.

LvG said he's basing the captaincy decision on who's going to be playing the full 90, nothing to be read into it other than that really.

Smalling & Fletch won't be sold imo, T-Clevz could be though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Saw articles saying he said the same before Ibra and Silva moved from AC Milan. And as manager, he could just be running with the positive party line.

Not, mind, that I think we're getting him. Just that it won't stop journalists talking until Vidal actually comes out, looks down a camera and goes "I am not leaving Juvi"....

Still a chance then.

Saw articles saying he said the same before Ibra and Silva moved from AC Milan. And as manager, he could just be running with the positive party line.

Not, mind, that I think we're getting him. Just that it won't stop journalists talking until Vidal actually comes out, looks down a camera and goes "I am not leaving Juvi"....

58669-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-Sm9B.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

LvG said he's basing the captaincy decision on who's going to be playing the full 90, nothing to be read into it other than that really.

Smalling & Fletch won't be sold imo, T-Clevz could be though.

Yes - but the same players who are being asked to play the full 90 are those who would appear to be borderline exits. I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Coat22 wrote: »
    Yes - but the same players who are being asked to play the full 90 are those who would appear to be borderline exits. I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 left.

There's more hope i'll have an orgy with J Law, Anna Kendrick, Scarlett Johannsen and Kate Upton in the next five than Fletcher is leaving united.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

brinty wrote: »
    There's more hope i'll have an orgy with J Law, Anna Kendrick, Scarlett Johannsen and Kate Upton in the next five than Fletcher is leaving united.
    Should be an interesting formation alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

There's more hope i'll have an orgy with J Law

Whatever you're into, but I don't think Jude Law is gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

comparing James Mccarthy to Denis Irwin is baffling. comparing the best full back in England at the time, to the best full back in England at the time is not.

you are looking at it without realising there are two totally different sets of circumstances and generations involved here, football was a completely different world back then and no matter what way you look at it, Irwin was a highly rated full back.

I remember well when Irwin emerged. To say he was the best full back in England when Utd signed him is ridiculous. He caught the eye in some great cup runs Oldham had at the end of 80's, particularly a memorable FA Cup semi-final and replay against United, and I was thrilled when we later signed him (based on seeing him in those two games, and of course the fact he was Irish).

Far from having spent "four years at the top level of the game in England" as you puzzlingly claimed earlier in the thread, he'd never played a single game in the top flight before signing for United. Oldham were in the old 2nd division in those years. He didn't have a cap. Now maybe football was a such a different world back then that the 2nd division was the top level, but that's not how I remember it (and sadly I'm old enough to!).

• Advertisement

Whatever you're into, but I don't think Jude Law is gay.

It's an orgy, anything goes.

Or comes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

McCarthy isn't setting the bar very high IMO. Would be a hugely underwhelming signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

adox wrote: »
    McCarthy isn't setting the bar very high IMO. Would be a hugely underwhelming signing.

Have you seen our midfield? if he can pass the ball forward, bring him in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If McCarthy was our main midfielder brought in then we could kiss 4th goodbye, as an upgrade on what we have it's a good idea though

Leaving Strootman and Vidal aside there isn't many other options, realistically we could get Khedira if we gave him enough wages, or one of two of the Dutch lads Blind and/or De Jong maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This reeks of the basement dweller who hasn't had a girlfriend for 5 years turning his nose up at the good looking girl because she isn't a supermodel.

Anything that improves the awful United midfield is a positive step. Herrera was a positive step, McCarthy would be another. He's much better than anything else you have had access to in the last few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Have you seen our midfield? if he can pass the ball forward, bring him in!

But the problem is, if were to sign a James McCarthy, we can kiss goodbye any hope of signing Vidal or any other world class CM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

In a year or two I can imagine him being one of the most sought after holding midfielders in the league.

At the moment he doesn't exactly have a world wide recognition for his skill but most watching the Premiership would agree he is a very solid performer with huge potential. Honestly I would select him ahead of Fletcher, Cleverly, Fellaini and probably Carrick too.

Just my opinion but I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in rating him highly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    But the problem is, if were to sign a James McCarthy, we can kiss goodbye any hope of signing Vidal or any other world class CM.

I think that ship has long since sailed myself...

No Vidal in the 25 man squad for tomorrow's friendly.

ArturON.

I can't see us signing McCarthy this season, he was just saying he would be open to a move to United in the future. Surely if we are to pursue him it won't be until next season I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No Vidal in the 25 man squad for tomorrow's friendly.

ArturON.

Arturnotfit

• Advertisement

So apparently De Vrij is about to join Lazio after agreeing terms...looks like we won't be signing him anyway :( bit disappointed really wanted him to join us.

dahat wrote: »
    Arturnotfit

Yeah i know, twas slightly in jest anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Kirby wrote: »
    This reeks of the basement dweller who hasn't had a girlfriend for 5 years turning his nose up at the good looking girl because she isn't a supermodel.

Anything that improves the awful United midfield is a positive step. Herrera was a positive step, McCarthy would be another. He's much better than anything else you have had access to in the last few seasons.

Or it reeks of said dweller settling for a girl he doesn't really love cause...hey she's a girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Adamocovic wrote: »
    So apparently De Vrij is about to join Lazio after agreeing terms...looks like we won't be signing him anyway :( bit disappointed really wanted him to join us.

he left Feyenoord yesterday

he left Feyenoord yesterday

Is that official? Skysports and other sites were running the story today saying that he left for a medical today. Yes it should be finalised soon but didnt think it was officially done yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If McCarthy was our main midfielder brought in then we could kiss 4th goodbye, as an upgrade on what we have it's a good idea though

Leaving Strootman and Vidal aside there isn't many other options, realistically we could get Khedira if we gave him enough wages, or one of two of the Dutch lads Blind and/or De Jong maybe

Their are about 40 million midfielders worldwide better than the majority of our midfielders.

Liked the look of Carvalho from the little i have seen but things have gone quiet.
    Also liked the look of Herrera from Mexico in the world cup Herrera beside Herrera could be a good pairing.

Ok just taking a quick break from the orgy to ctach up with you guys and Jennifer Lawrence was immense ;)
    So guess thats Fletcher, Smalling and Cleverly on there way ;)

I hate saying things and I know i'm going to get grief for it but fair fooks to 'Pool for getting 6 players in already and signing up players whilst on tour. I'm a wee bit envious. I can just hope that LVG is going to crack the whip in Ed's direction after tonight and demand players in and out..

Ok just taking a quick break from the orgy to ctach up with you guys and Jennifer Lawrence was immense ;)
    So guess thats Fletcher, Smalling and Cleverly on there way ;)

I hate saying things and I know i'm going to get grief for it but fair fooks to 'Pool for getting 6 players in already and signing up players whilst on tour. I'm a wee bit envious. I can just hope that LVG is going to crack the whip in Ed's direction after tonight and demand players in and out..

I imagine the reason we haven't signed anyone else yet is because of LVG. I'd say Ed is waiting for the go ahead and LVG has made it pretty clear he won't be rushed in his decisions. I'm just hoping he decides sooner rather than later!

Is that official? Skysports and other sites were running the story today saying that he left for a medical today. Yes it should be finalised soon but didnt think it was officially done yet.

Btum6qyCQAAocWi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Heres another analogy for you.

The above is akin to the bloke on a night out who rejects a very nice girl who is willing to get with him in the hope of landing the stunner across the room who is a complete bitch and nothing more than a cocktease. He ends up with a kebab and a morning of regret.

The kebab in this instance being Tom Cleverley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

The above is akin to the bloke on a night out who rejects a very nice girl who is willing to get with him in the hope of landing the stunner across the room who is a complete bitch and nothing more than a cocktease. He ends up with a kebab and a morning of regret.

Well I wasn't really getting involved in these pulling women and centre midfielder metaphors.

But did a little ambition ever hurt anyone? Particularly when you've already been waiting 7 years for ''the one'', no point in giving up now.

Btum6qyCQAAocWi.jpg

Ah gutted we didn't sign him, maybe was too much to hope for him to fail a medical ;)

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Wouldn't be the first time he'd made a mess of things due to lack of control ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Vidic being interviewed on MUTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is hard to not like Vidic, looked kind of emotional talking about all the things that happened to him while in England - meeting his wife, having children and the success.
    He said he would never want to play against United in a non friendly. He is looking forward to seeing his former team mates.

Showing the milk cup game goals where United won 11-0, those youngsters look good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ah gutted we didn't sign him, maybe was too much to hope for him to fail a medical ;)

According to some dutch journos the deal was basically agreed before the world cup. They were just haggling over price,so we were never in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not sure if posted already:

"We must improve the first team squad, not only by training sessions but also transfers, cause all the other clubs are doing the same".

According to some dutch journos the deal was basically agreed before the world cup. They were just haggling over price,so we were never in for him.

It is the definition of a lazy journalist story.

"United need defenders, they like younger players, he's had a good world cup and he's Dutch. 2+2=5 so print it!"

I know there was no confirmation from the club or anything about him being a target just one of the players I would have liked us to sign. I'm sure we all have some we'd love see wearing a United shirt that might never happen. Would love to see Coleman at United.

Do people think VG will wait until after the Champions Cup Preseason Tournament (possibly August 4th depending on how far we get) before deciding who to sell and giving the go ahead for some purchases?

Not too far away and he might give players a chance to prove why they should be allowed stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

It is the definition of a lazy journalist story.

"United need defenders, they like younger players, he's had a good world cup and he's Dutch. 2+2=5 so print it!"

2+2 =5

for large values of 2...

Aw god, no, please, no

Btu8LIACAAAc0Dj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

That blue kit is absolutely shocking

Another pic of new third kit

10422334_10152331585092746_7266276498231123847_n.jpg

I dunno I don't mind it, still would have preferred all black kit.

Looks like VG holland influence ;)

Herrera looks cute when he's mad though

• Advertisement

Another pic of new third kit

10422334_10152331585092746_7266276498231123847_n.jpg

I dunno I don't mind it, still would have preferred all black kit.

Looks like VG holland influence ;)

Okay that looks alot better, black part is horrible though

"Leave us for Adidas will they? OI JOE! Bust out the joke designs for this one..."

Okay that looks alot better, black part is horrible though

Yeah its very odd colours. Hopefully looks a bit better on the pitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I like the blue kit :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The Chevrolet logo is just rotten :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement