Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Has Kagawa got a start yet, I think he might be on his way out??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

brinty wrote: »
    Has Kagawa got a start yet, I think he might be on his way out??

I wouldn't be surprised, have loads of players who can play in his position and some players will have to be let go before we bring in new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Strange to see no Shaw even in squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Jesus Christ...

Rooney had fallen out with Fergie and had bad history with Moyes. Mourinho was publicly courting Rooney.

There is a world of difference between something that is odds on not happening and claims that odds on status is "meaningless".

If we wake up tomorrow and Vidal is 1/100 to go to United or betting is suspended, is that "meaningless" too?

Jesus Christ? Betting was suspended on Vidal by a couple of bookies about 6 weeks ago? Did he sign, what about Sneijder? He was 1-25.

As I said in a previous post if betting is suspended by all bookmakers then yes more than likely something is happening. If we could get 20 people to go on paddy power and place a 10 euro bet each on signing for Liverpool his odds would shorten to about 4-1 from 10s. These pools have minor pools for bookies and a number of small bets can significantly change odds therefore making it meaningless. Shorter odds just mean more people are backing it. If these people where ITK big money would be going on with any bookies that would take the bet and betting would be suspended. That hasn't happened yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Hey lads,

Do ye think LVG is going to stick with 352 to get rvp roo and mata in the same team and target players specifically for this formation or will he look to move to 433 long term once he gets his desired wingers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The idea that people who know what's going on with United's transfers would be throwing a max bet of €100 quid on with Paddy Power when they got the news is so lolworthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Hey lads,

Do ye think LVG is going to stick with 352 to get rvp roo and mata in the same team and target players specifically for this formation or will he look to move to 433 long term once he gets his desired wingers?

He'll be back to 433 after signings are made i think. He sort of implied that recently in an interview/press conference

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Shaw burst LVG's lounge bathing pool - he has the right to be pissed at him :pac:

142590.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

He'll be back to 433 after signings are made i think. He sort of implied that recently in an interview/press conference

I think he will switch between the two as required (Opposition, injuries etc). He only needs to change one position to do it:

Can you talk a little more about your tactics at the World Cup?

We have transformed the Dutch school from 4-3-3 and depending on the opponent it can be 5-3-2 as well. Also against Roma [in Saturday’s 3-2 win] they played with three strikers so I changed it to five defenders. But we pushed through. That is the kind of thing I have done with the Dutch school. Transform it into a new system. But all the players here at Manchester United are used to playing 4-3-3. So I can change like I did with the Dutch team [at the World Cup] against Mexico to 4-3-3. I only have to change one position and we play 4-3-3. So it is dependent on the process of where we are. Until now I am very satisfied but maybe tomorrow [Wednesday morning] we lose to Inter, they are playing the same system; and when you followed the World Cup the Dutch squad had most of the problems when playing against opponents who are using the same system. Chile, we beat them 2-0 but [only] in the last 10 minutes did we beat them, and now we [United] are not fit enough because we have only had three or four days to recover. [At the World Cup] we played against Mexico who played the same system and won 2-1 and drew against Costa Rica 0-0. Three games with the same system playing against each other and all three games were decided in the last 10 minutes. Interesting eh? Interesting. You’re all coaches now.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/29/louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-q-and-a

here he talks about bringing players through/in: (To me his reasons for delays in bringing players in are acceptable, for the right reasons and not from indecision like Moyes)
    “That is always my philosophy. I’m not a coach who thinks short term. I am a coach who thinks always in the long term,” he said. “The way you see Barcelona are still playing with six players from my time because I gave a lot of chances to the youth players – the structure and the culture of the club is Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Valdés and Motta – I also gave [Motta] his debut and he is playing in Paris Saint-Germain, not a little club.

“At Bayern Munich it was the same. You can see that in Müller, Alaba, Kroos, that kind of player. So I am always for the long term, not the short term. When I buy, I buy players for the long term, not the short term, because I do respect the club a lot and also the other clubs. You can see this at Ajax. I had the youngest team to win the Champions League with 17-, 18-, 19-year-old players [in 1995].”

Van Gaal also talked of why he likes to promote youth players from within the set-up. “The argument for that is when you use youth players of the club they know the culture and they want to defend that culture and wear that culture and transfer that culture,” the 62-year-old added.

“When you buy a player from outside you have to wait and see and not every player will fulfil your expectation. It is much more difficult, also for the player.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/29/manchester-united-louis-van-gaal-vows-not-provoked-jose-mourinho

• Advertisement

Strange to see no Shaw even in squad.

Well since LVG has been criticising his fitness (or lack thereof) he was saying he won't let him train with the team until he has gotten back to the required level. I imagine he wouldn't let him play a match with the players if he doesn't feel he is even fit enough to train with them yet.

Just speculating though might be another reason. Maybe he's too tired from the extra training he's been doing with the fitness team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

This little snippet of that Lvg piece proves his 433 can easily be seen as 4231

"But all the players here at Manchester United are used to playing 4-3-3"

I wouldn't think we'd have played a proper 433 in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

A funny extact from James Ducker's latest article.
    One reporter was shot down for making a statement rather than asking a question about the perceived limitations of British footballers. "That is your opinion — you say it, then you say I have to say it," Van Gaal countered, deadpan.

Another was accused of trying to put words in his mouth after suggesting that Manchester City were not simply "knocking at the door" — as Van Gaal claimed — but had slammed it shut in United’s face. "If you like to say that, you have to write it down," Van Gaal told his inquisitor, while nodding knowingly at the rest of the group. "I have learnt the word 'entice'. I said provoke but Ryan [Giggs, Van Gaal’s assistant] said entice."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

It's painful seeing Vidic on MUTV doing an interview in an Inter shirt :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    This little snippet of that Lvg piece proves his 433 can easily be seen as 4231

"But all the players here at Manchester United are used to playing 4-3-3"

I wouldn't think we'd have played a proper 433 in years.

4-2-3-1 is a Dutch 4-3-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I would absolutely love to see Darren Fletcher get back to his best. The man has a first class attitude on and off the pitch. Hopefully with a full pre-season behind him and his illness seemingly under control, he can get back to a good level.

• Advertisement

bmcc10 wrote: »
    It's painful seeing Vidic on MUTV doing an interview in an Inter shirt :(

"They have a manager who knows what he wants from them [the players], so it'll be easier for them"

A nice dig at Moyes there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Who is the captain tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Who is the captain tonight?
    Fletch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Damn American's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Hococop wrote: »
    Damn American's

Hahahaha, seriously?

• Advertisement

Damn American's

316421.png

Lindegaards disguise is working perfectly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I know he's a legend and all that, but (to quote him) my god, paddy crerrand is a god awful, cringeworthy commentator.

Wait a second... Hococop.. did you take a picture of the screen, then take a screenshot of the picture on your phone to share it?

tumblr_l9euil5ltZ1qaq1gu.png

Sacramento wrote: »
    Wait a second... Hococop.. did you take a picture of the screen, then take a screenshot of the picture on your phone to share it?

tumblr_l9euil5ltZ1qaq1gu.png

No one of the lads showed it on a group chat on fb and I took a screenshot as it had no URL to copy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

No one of the lads showed it on a group chat on fb and I took a screenshot as it had no URL to copy it
    You could just save the picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm not digging the blue kit whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I love the 3 5 2 formation. I honestly think if Daley Blind is available we should snap him up. Great cover for LB and CB.

The front 2 of Van Persie and Rooney with Mata behind will be brilliant this year. Add Herrera and another decent midfielder and we are absolutely flying.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say this year will be the making of Smalling and Jones.

You could just save the picture?

Yeah ive tried to upload a saved image off my phone on here before and it never seems to work right,

Ok I checked again to see if I could upload a saved photo and its seems to work fine, not sure if it was a phone update or my own stupidity, I want to believe its a phone update that fixed it :)

Mars Bar wrote: »

Too chelseaish for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭twinex

That first half possession was the equivalent of about five games' worth last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

:pac:
    Callum Hamilton ‏@Callum_TH 32m
    Nothing but respect for Valencia for reacting to his decline in ability by replacing it with violence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Mars Bar wrote: »

Me neither, although the Inter kit is probably showing it up even more, it's class.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

:pac:

Quote:
    Callum Hamilton ‏@Callum_TH 32m
    Nothing but respect for Valencia for reacting to his decline in ability by replacing it with violence

Spot on.

Too chelseaish for my liking.

Chelsea kits have been nicer

well lads went back through my history to this morning and the jersey was in my basket at the €40 so decided to refresh the page still €40

went through paypal and it was paid and got a reciept so hopefully they may (i highly doubt it) honor it

pray for me lads and ladies :o

Well thought I've give an update on this and tell ye if it was a success or failure

lvgfyjt4.gif

It just updated to shipped :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭macslash

Is it nil all in the game??

macslash wrote: »

Yes

macslash wrote: »

Yep. United on top tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Dominant, comfortable and in control with quite a few positives I thought. The nonsense of 2013 is disappearing.

• Advertisement

Blackett and Keane are showing real composure. I know it is only preseason but if they keep it up no doubt VG will give them an opportunity at some stage next season.

Blackett looked really composed that half and could do well this season in the squad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Good performances all round except from Nani.

Things are looking up.

Well lads time to call it a night, good performance today. More dominant and composed compared to the Roma game. Zaha had a good game which will hopefully help him. Really want to see him live up to potential. Looking forward to Madrid game.

Louis Van Gaal's 100% record with United still intact, some good performances from our lads there tonight. Blackett and Fletcher looked composed and determined. Even Clev had a decent game, was unlucky not to win a penalty from that blatant foul.

Onwards and upwards.

I was very impressed with Blackett, Keane and Zaha in the second half. Zaha looked a real danger taking players on. Blackett and Keane looked very composed.

I thought Fletcher was excellent throughout the entire game. What a massive boost it would be to have him fit and playing as he can. The man's fitness levels are excellent. Thought he led the team very impressively tonight.

• Advertisement

Where is Fellaini? He injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Blackett was very good. He has all the attributes to make a good CB. I remember him playing as LB for U18s and U21, so was surprised to see him playing as CB. His composure on the ball is really good.

For the first time in years Cleverley played with confidence. If Fletcher can regain his fitness then it's a massive boost for the team.

Btw did anyone see Van Gaal saying we have to buy to improve team and our rivals are already going it? Looks like he is not happy with the transfers so far.

GSPfan wrote: »

Still on wc leave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

GSPfan wrote: »

After the world cup he got a job picking up litter on Copacabana beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 2m
    Louis van Gaal on Shinji Kagawa: "Kagawa was a no.10 at Dortmund but I want to try him at no.6 and no.8." #mutour

Interesting

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement