Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

advertsfox wrote: »
    Also I did a GIF of one of our possession plays last night - really fantastic footwork and control that I haven't seen us play like in a long time.

ici37IFRZiHIE.gif

Wow! Impressive stuff!!!! We certainly play our best stuff at high tempo with one and two touch..

Just that little gif there shows how poor we have been recently...

That was quality stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

How would I have ebidence to the contrary? You take nothing as fact so until its confirmed on the official website I take it?
    the press were clearly briefed the other day that Fellaini, Kagawa, Nani and Anderson were available for transfer.

You said they were clearly briefed implying they were told by sources from Utd.

Im wondering how you came to that conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Is Marek Hamsik a number 10 or does he play deeper these days. Could be used in a deal with Napoli for Fellaini.

to be honest, Fellainis stock is so low right now i think we cant really be demanding much, especially a player like him!

we are after £15m which is a tad embarassing considering what we paid for him last year. its about right for him, no matter how well he played in 2012 though i guess you can understand why Everton valued him at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I cant wait for the season to start. Utd as a team look 10 times better than the crap Moyes had them playing last year.
    I know its only early but with the handy start in the league i expect UTD to be near the top of the table come november/december. Im not saying they'l remain there but im confident for the start of the season at least !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You said it was speculation on their part, now it is sourced.

Well yes its speculation unless they are getting it from a reliable source, if they are running the story.

Its just not correct to say at this stage that they were clearly briefed.

You guys give way too much weight to the stories that journalists run with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You said it was speculation on their part, now it is sourced.

'Sourced' as in one person runs it, the rest copy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

adox wrote: »
    You said they were clearly briefed implying they were told by sources from Utd.

Im wondering how you came to that conclusion.

Because the same 4/5 journalists all had the same story on the same night, they hardly all huddled together and wrote up a make believe list. If they did surely Cleverley and/or Young would have been on there.

I dont take all stories as gospel at all, but you can normally tell which ones are BS and which are well informed, these journalists are all pretty reliable.

Anyway think we will have to agree to disagree on this one

I cant wait for the season to start. Utd as a team look 10 times better than the crap Moyes had them playing last year.
    I know its only early but with the handy start in the league i expect UTD to be near the top of the table come november/december. Im not saying they'l remain there but im confident for the start of the season at least !

Van Gaal was saying last night that it could be 3 months into the season before things are being put right. get the feeling that he is not impressed with alot of things or players and he is not going to buy his way out of things either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Darren fletcher was excellent last night, great to see him getting back to full fitness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Van Gaal was saying last night that it could be 3 months into the season before things are being put right. get the feeling that he is not impressed with alot of things or players and he is not going to buy his way out of things either.

I get the feeling he is talking down the quite obvious buzz around our team so that when we storm out into a 15 point lead by Xmas he can pop up and say "Surprise! lol"

Louis-van-Gaal.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I read that aswell, lets be honest tho, UTD have a really decent start to the Premiership. A lot of 3points wins possible. So if they are in the top 2 after Oct/Nov time, itl boost everyone. Especially since he came out and said it usually takes his new team 3 months to start playing the way he wants them to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

In fairness we know how poor Moyes was in the job. But he was also meant to be surprised at how poor things were at the club. Didn't he kick up a fuss about the academy training and the scouting network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Commentator last night was saying we don't play any top 4 opponents until 26th of October

Swansea
    Sunderland
    Burnley

QPR
    Leicester
    West Ham

Everton
    West Brom
    Chelsea -

Too much to expect to be on 24 points by then? 8/8

to be honest, Fellainis stock is so low right now i think we cant really be demanding much, especially a player like him!

we are after £15m which is a tad embarassing considering what we paid for him last year. its about right for him, no matter how well he played in 2012 though i guess you can understand why Everton valued him at that.

What's your opinion on Fellaini at the moment homer. If i remember right you were talking about watching him live and how he would be a good signing. Surely it would be silly with our lack of options to not give him another season.

He spent half the season injured. If you thrown out players after half a season then Evra and Vidic wouldn't have got a second season.

What's the story with Blackett i remember him a few years ago on the tour as a lb being highly rated. I have heard little since has he become a cb or has Van Gaal just tried him out at cb on the tour.

RasTa wrote: »
    Commentator last night was saying we don't play any top 4 opponents until 26th of October

I think so. I'd hope there won't be any defeats, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a draw or two.

RasTa wrote: »

Swansea
    Sunderland
    Burnley

QPR
    Leicester
    West Ham

Everton
    West Brom
    Chelsea -

Of course it is too much to expect Sunderland, West Ham and Everton won't be easy and promoted teams will park the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Asked, after the 5-4 win penalties which followed a goalless 90 minutes, to assess the Mexican and whether he be sold, Van Gaal replied flatly: “I can’t answer as he is a United player at the moment.” Hernandez, who has been linked to Tottenham Hotspur, does not seem to fit into Van Gaal culture in which players need to be multi-functional.

Thats David De Gea fcuked so :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I must have missed the part where Van Gaal said he wouldn't buy more players this summer.

I noted his words as good reasons for a delay and thought they were acceptable for why he would hold off on signings to fill out the squad or improve the team. I am sure everyone wants signings by the end of the window.

I must go back and read his words again to see how I missed him saying he wouldn't buy anyone, I have a feeling I will be looking for a long time to find it.

While you are looking for that I will check again how many signings we have made in what was supposed to a massive summer for our squad.

Shouldn't take long.

While you are looking for that I will check again how many signings we have made in what was supposed to a massive summer for our squad.

Shouldn't take long.

“We are doing well but we are looking for defenders,” said the manager, who still hopes that Borussia Dortmund’s Mats Hummels and Arsenal’s Thomas Vermaelen can be brought in, with Ajax’s Daley Blind also on the radar. “Defenders have gone and we have to replace them.”

Must be happy with his CM lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Coat22 wrote: »
    Must be happy with his CM lot

LvG mentioned after the Roma game that he considered Mata, Herrera and Kagawa as the best passers of the ball in the squad. Although Kagawa won't play #10, he was deployed as #6 or #8 against Inter, so I'm told.

Could it be that Kagawa will be the ball playing midfielder, with Herrera as the box-to-box and Fletcher/Carrick as the holding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I, for one, will be happy with the season if we start showing some pride and intensity that was clearly missing under Moyes. We have no God-given right to win anything and I don't expect that we will ever see the signing of the biggest players (Vidal etc.) and that's fine by me. I do hope that VG will get the best of our current players, especially ones that have apparently underperformed.

I think that Moyes' (and Fergie's) dependence on Vidic and Ferdinand has hampered Smalling's and Jones' progress. Jonny Evans was an underperformer until he was given a good string of games next to Vidic where he showed his class. I am hoping that the same will happen to the other two, as they have stalled somewhat (largely due to being shuffled around different positions).

I am also looking forward to seeing more younger players breaking through to the first team. It's encouraging to see so many of the young players doing well on the tour (although I remember a certain Jesse lingard doing really well on last year's tour only to drop out of sight once the season started).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Van Gaal wrote:
    "I am very pleased," the manager said. "I think we played by far the best match of our sequence of three.

"They only had one shot on our goal and that was given by the referee [a free-kick], but I think we also created six or seven chances, so then it is seven against one.

"I was very pleased with our ball possession; it was much better than the other matches. And I think also the positions were better covered.

"So tonight I was very pleased with the performance of my players, both in the first half and the second half

So we are doing well but we are looking for defenders, because a lot of defenders have gone. We have to replace them but I also like Michael Keane and Tyler Blackett.

"Luke is working very hard and he was lucky because normally I would have played our friend Reece James, but he was a little bit injured. And so I asked him in spite of a very heavy training session this morning and I think he did very well.

"I was pleased with Wilfried's performance but we have to wait and see. He has a lot of competition with the other strikers."

Source: http://www.manutd.com/en/Tour-2014/Tour2014News/2014/Jul/louis-van-gaal-hails-manchester-united-win-over-inter-milan-as-best-performance-so-far.aspx?pageNo=1

He's had no problem being very direct so far about problems (Carrington, Pre-season tour plans, a £27m signing's fitness), so when he says points out the stuff he is happy with, it may be worth listening to also rather than always focusing on the negatives. I'm sure it won't be for a while until he gets things as he would like, but it's hardly been a bad start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

MagicIRL wrote: »
    LvG mentioned after the Roma game that he considered Mata, Herrera and Kagawa as the best passers of the ball in the squad. Although Kagawa won't play #10, he was deployed as #6 or #8 against Inter, so I'm told.

Could it be that Kagawa will be the ball playing midfielder, with Herrera as the box-to-box and Fletcher/Carrick as the holding?[/QUOTE]

Could simply be a case of LVG see's Kagawa as his schweinstiger i.e. Move his position into a deeper lying player and maybe thats why he's not looking at CM players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

LvG mentioned Hernandez quite a few times in his interview (MUTV?) on Monday. I wondered were they carefully placed references or if he genuinely admires the player and wants to keep him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Didn't see the game was looking through Youtube for highlights came across this,what was all this about?

The ref gave Inter a free deep in Uniteds half for what looked a fairly harmless tackle (by Cleverly I think). LVG was furious as it came just moments after Cleverly himself was brought down in their box.

It should have been a penalty but the ref didn't give it. The clip shows the 4th official getting the windmill treatment - yesh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

dahat wrote: »
    €35 Jersey came, great but too small...utter disappointment.

What size is the shirt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Hahaha the windmill treatment

question for you all, but would like this answered honestly focusing more on the immediate priorities of the team as opposed to looking to the next 4 or 5 years.

we obviously put alot of time and money into the Shaw deal but do people think that right now, we had bigger needs than Shaw and perhaps this could have been invested elsewhere first such as 2 X CB and another midfilder, even a winger and a right full back up would have been more priority IMO (though i dont share the distain for Evra that alot of people have)? the options were -

a - spend £27m on Shaw and get rid of the other 2.
    b - not sign him this season, keep Evra and Buttner for one more season and then get Shaw in next year, allowing us to focus on other deals and maybe Shaw would also be cheaper next year.

obviously ignore the sh*te that went on yesterday, we all know he is a good player and hopefully long term will be a superstar for us, but im more focusing on the urgent needs right now, as opposed to long term.

im answering b, i think the Shaw deal is not a great one for us right now and he will take time to look at £27m player, but of course its one problem sorted, (i hope) just not the biggest one.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

VW 1 wrote: »
    What size is the shirt?

Large.

I have the 13/14 in large and had to buy this new one in Medium! It was freakin' huge on me in the shop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd say LVG has been impressed with the way Shaw has handled what has happened this week. Obviously a shock to the system and as he said himself, he is aware now of the extra work required to play for this club.

Doing extra training sessions, including a session the day of the amtch, then playing 45minutes, was good stuff. I like how Van Gaal says he "asked Shaw to play" and I'm sure got a resounding yes.

Let's not forget that Van Gaal walked into the Dutch team and declared RVP was not his no.1, that Huntelaar was. RVP had to accept being benched, but his reaction and proffesionalism really impressed Van Gaal and he made him captain from it.

Does seem he gets up to a bit of mindgames internally in the squad, to keep everyone on their toes, but happily embraces those that respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Clear VG is trying to drill home the passing triangles. Bizarre seeing United playing possession football and slower build up. So used to see wing play. Looking well so far, hopefully it proves a success in the Premiership.

Anyone hear any transfer news today? Or do we reckon it won't be until after this pre season tournament that we sign anyone"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Clear VG is trying to drill home the passing triangles. Bizarre seeing United playing possession football and slower build up. So used to see wing play. Looking well so far, hopefully it proves a success in the Premiership.

Anyone hear any transfer news today? Or do we reckon it won't be until after this pre season tournament that we sign anyone"

No we're not signing anyone else and we're doomed....doomed I tell ya :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Not that simple though
    - if United didn't sign Shaw this summer, Chelsea would have
    - the club is perfectly capable of pursuing several transfer deals at the same time, so unless your argument is that there is no money for other deals, there's no reason why it shouldn't be Shaw + whoever else
    - Buttner left because Van Gaal arrived. Most of the work on the Shaw deal, by all accounts, was done under Moyes
    - I don't think anyone wanted to lose Evra this summer, he requested the move for family reasons afaik

So nobody decided "I know, I'll buy Shaw and ditch the other two"
    Moyes planned to buy Shaw and have Evra and/or Buttner too
    Van Gaal arrived with the Shaw deal ready to be closed, and the other two LBs wanting to leave

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »

Expect to see the Vidal story dragged around again. It's still teethering between ArturON and ArturOFF. Kagawa staying at United is fully dependent on Vidal not signing in my opinion. The midfield will be Kagawa, Herrera and Fletcher/Carrick. If Vidal comes in, Kagawa goes and that's that, although LvG seems to really like Kagawa and thinks he apsses the ball very well which is essential in his system, especially from midfield.

Not sure why there is such a big deal being made about the Shaw / Fitness thing. It appears to me only logical that:

1) Shaw is being asked to play a new position, wing back, which will obviously require much more pace and stamina than full back.
    2) With all respect to Southampton he is not coming from a club where the standards are as high as the Uniteds of this world so expectations were always going to be higher.
    3) Evra and Vidic had exactly the same issue when they came to united but nobody seemed to notice at the time.
    4) He was a 19 year old away for the summer at the tea party that was the England World Cup – it drove Wiltshire back on the fags ffs 

Shaw will be grand once he does his couch to 5k training  Irwin rates him as a great crosser of the ball and its exactly what United have missed for years. Once he picks up his pace he’ll be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Talks this morning that Atletico Madrid are looking to sign Hernandez. He would be a fantastic striker in La Liga, but I don't know how much playing time he would get with Mandzukic already there.

I suppose you couldn't blame him for looking to leave, if he is. Would we get £20 million for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Expect to see the Vidal story dragged around again. It's still teethering between ArturON and ArturOFF. Kagawa staying at United is fully dependent on Vidal not signing in my opinion. The midfield will be Kagawa, Herrera and Fletcher/Carrick. If Vidal comes in, Kagawa goes and that's that, although LvG seems to really like Kagawa and thinks he apsses the ball very well which is essential in his system, especially from midfield.

Isnt the new system only setup for two midfielders?

Macca07 wrote: »
    Talks this morning that Atletico Madrid are looking to sign Hernandez. He would be a fantastic striker in La Liga, but I don't know how much playing time he would get with Mandzukic already there.

I suppose you couldn't blame him for looking to leave, if he is. Would we get £20 million for him?

Howiye Arda Turan my boy, always rated you son, come sit down and have an ol' chat with Uncle Loius, yesh?

• Advertisement

Shaw will be grand once he does his couch to 5k training

That takes 9 weeks! :eek:

Also he'll need to do B210k since that's closer to what he'll be running in 90 mins. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Not sure why there is such a big deal being made about the Shaw / Fitness thing. It appears to me only logical that:

1) Shaw is being asked to play a new position, wing back, which will obviously require much more pace and stamina than full back.
    2) With all respect to Southampton he is not coming from a club where the standards are as high as the Uniteds of this world so expectations were always going to be higher.

3) Evra and Vidic had exactly the same issue when they came to united but nobody seemed to notice at the time.
    4) He was a 19 year old away for the summer at the tea party that was the England World Cup – it drove Wiltshire back on the fags ffs 

Shaw will be grand once he does his couch to 5k training  Irwin rates him as a great crosser of the ball and its exactly what United have missed for years. Once he picks up his pace he’ll be awesome!

Shaw said as much after the match this morning.

“Obviously I have seen that, and it’s something I totally agree with,” Shaw said when asked about Van Gaal’s press conference comments. “To play in this formation you have to be really fit. I am fit but I am not at the high level he demands. I have got to get fitter to get up and down [the wing]. It’s something I have got to work on.”

“It was a surprise. I didn’t come into United thinking it would be much harder,” Shaw said. “That’s something that I think I made a mistake on. I thought it was just going to be the same but it’s the biggest club in the world and there are world-class players in training. That is something that is going to push me on and it’s something I am looking forward to doing.”

Is that such a bad thing? I really like Kagawa too and I think he link really well with the strikers we have. Don’t think he’s been given sufficient chances by either of the last 2 managers, neither of whom seemed to know what to do with him. Fergie obviously bought him so that he could fall out with Rooney and Moyes had not place in his set up for such an adventurous player.

I’d love to see him stay if we don’t sign someone of the calibre of Vidal.

Isnt the new system only setup for two midfielders?

4-3-3 isn't, as that becomes 4-3-1-2 with Mata @ #10. I think. I'm not sure exactly what we'll play. I know LvG has said 3-5-2 but he seems to be talking a lot about 4-3-3 and 4-3-1-2 as well.

Doubt we’d get more than €10M for him but could be wrong.

I was thinking the same about La Liga though – reckon he’d be like Forlan – a great striker in the wrong team who will flourish in the Spanish League.

4-3-3 isn't, as that becomes 4-3-1-2 with Mata @ #10. I think. I'm not sure exactly what we'll play. I know LvG has said 3-5-2 but he seems to be talking a lot about 4-3-3 and 4-3-1-2 as well.

Would kind of make you wonder if he's waiting on a defender when he plays 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 and then talks about playing 4-3-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Doubt we’d get more than €10M for him but could be wrong.

I was thinking the same about La Liga though – reckon he’d be like Forlan – a great striker in the wrong team who will flourish in the Spanish League.

€10 million, are you serious? About £8 million? That's what you think an international striker playing at the highest level is worth? If that's what any club offers for him, they should be laughed out of the office.

Origi went to Liverpool for £10 million, you think he is worth more than Hernandez?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

€10 million, are you serious? About £8 million? That's what you think an international striker playing at the highest level is worth? If that's what any club offers for him, they should be laughed out of the office.

Origi went to Liverpool for £10 million, you think he is worth more than Hernandez?

United always seem to let players go for peanuts (Ronaldo excluded)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Origi the highly rated young player moving up the chain, verses Hernandez, who is older, 4th choice and who the club wants rid of?

I'd say 10m would be about right for him sadly, and I say that as a fan of his.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Athletico played with two up front for most of last season, so I'm sure he and Mandzukic could form a good pairing

I'd definitely sell him, especially if Zaha is now being looked at as a striker.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement