Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Maybe, but I'd rather we showed the world our spending power by buying the right players. Not by announcing it.

Actions speak louder than words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

glued wrote: »
    There is a massive difference between being negative and being a doom merchant. There are a few doom merchants around here lately and it would appear that Woodward is on standby to be their scapegoat again.

He was always his scapegoat.

Then when he delivers, like shaw and herera they all piss off until that dies down and come back whinging and moaning our squad hasnt been addressed.

Transfers dont happen overnight. People who think Ed is incompetant are gowls and looking for an arguement because they are they people who think they can do the job better than him when in truth they have no idea what he does.

For example, have you any idea what your manager is doing or his manager and so on and so on. Especially on money deals, trying to get a new client in. No, no one does until it is done.

He has done the other areas of the job perfectly so to think he cant get a club to accept an offer for a player and in our case, key players on their team who they dont want to sell is being clueless. We are never going to hear if a club has accepted an offer.

Why the **** would a player not come to us because of who the ceo is when he has no impact on how or where he plays.

Players didnt want to come to us last year because of Moyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Current CBs: Smalling, Evans, Jones, Keane.
    Jones and Evans are seriously injury prone. Nothing to suggest next season will be any different for them. Which means we could be looking at periods where we have a CB partnership of Smalling and Keane.

Current RBs: Rafeal, Valencia (Varela wasn't brought on tour which rules him out IMO)
    Rafeal is a fine player, but prone to injury. Valencia shouldn't be at the club, never mind near Right back.

Current LBs: Shaw.
    19 year old in his first season at the club.

Current CMs: Carrick, Herrera, Fellaini, Anderson, Fletcher, Cleverley.
    Carrick being the most senior and best of the lot, is 33 and already injured. Herrera will do very well IMO.
    As for the other four, I'm not even going to comment.

3 weeks to the start of the season. I'm not a doom merchant, but I do think there's reason for concern.

There is reason for concern and this isnt LVGs' first rodeo, he knows what players to get.
    Dont worry about it, our great white hope wont start the Pl with 1 LB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

likewise, theirs about a dozen posters on here who have their head in the sands thinking everything right now is great.

same happens every summer and until the club gets it act in gear, the "doom merchants" will be the ones who are correct.

I can't name one poster who has said that everything is great. It seems everyone knows we need 2-3 players minimum.

It's just that they are not getting annoyed about it on a daily basis.

We are a week into LVGs reign. A week. He is assessing our players and HE will take as much time as HE needs to decide to to bring in. Not a few impatient posters of an Irish soccer forum.

Don't confuse patience with being super optimistic. We are a month from the start of the season. We have a transfer window in January.

We will get the players. No question. We just need to chill out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Look, even if we had the same squad as last season it still needed tweaking.
    We have lost two first team CBs and a first team LB, Giggs has retired and there will be more outgoings as has been confirmed by the CEO. Carrick, whether you like him or not, is our best and most consistent CM and is out for 3 months.

The squad needs major additions. Even given that fact that it can be a bit smaller this year due to no European football, it still needs numbers and quality added.

I dont think its any way unreasonable for people on here to voice their concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

adox wrote: »
    I dont think its any way unreasonable for people on here to voice their concerns.

It is though. It's a professional sports club that has dominated English football for the past 20 odd years. It's headed by a man who's won the CL undefeated and just finished 3rd in Brazil.

I'm 100% sure the club knows exactly what it's doing. People are going ona round here as if the club can't see the gaping holes in the first team like they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

theirs about a dozen posters on here who have their head in the sands thinking everything right now is great

That's just not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

MagicIRL wrote: »
    It is though. It's a professional sports club that has dominated English football for the past 20 odd years. It's headed by a man who's won the CL undefeated and just finished 3rd in Brazil.

I'm 100% sure the club knows exactly what it's doing. People are going ona round here as if the club can't see the gaping holes in the first team like they can.

But they could see them last summer too and they made a complete balls of it. Its the same CEO in charge. Our needs are actually a lot greater now than they were last summer too.

We know who Manchester Utd are and what they have achieved, I dont know why you would even raise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its very ironic to see the majority of the moaning and negativity being done this morning by the people who are complaining about moaning and negativity.

believe it or not, its this thats dragging down the thread more than anything else - anytime somebody has a concern, they are shot down and labelled a moaner or clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

But they could see them last summer too and they made a complete balls of it. Its the same CEO in charge. Our needs are actually a lot greater now than they were last summer too.

We know who Manchester Utd are and what they have achieved, I dont know why you would even raise that.

It may be the same CEO, but it's not the same manager. LVG V Moyes. The difference this summer is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Rooney and Van Gaal.

Impressive energy in all the training clips I have seen so far in manchestereveningnews and mail online site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Did they though? When push came to shove they signed a midfielder. Turns out his was utter ****e, but that's besides the point.

This summer we've signed a LB and another midfielder. Patience.

MagicIRL wrote: »

There's been a gaping hole in midfield for about 3 or 4 years now. Not disputing that the club's management cannot see it, but they've left the issue alone for a number of years.

I'm hopeful that they can bring in the right players. I wouldn't be wanting players just because they are big names - I wanted Vidal because he has great energy on and off the ball - this is something we need badly. I would be quiet happy if we brought in a younger player with a similar style of play.
    Likewise at the back, I don't think there's a chance of us getting Hummels, but we do need a good experienced CB who is not injury prone. It doesn't have to be a superstar.
    It's more down to simple logistics. We need to bring in certain types of player. Otherwise it's a dogfight for 4th place.

Fingers crossed Woody gets the business done in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Even if we do sign no one else LVG will get the current group of players playing 30 - 40% better than they did last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Its always good to add that incase there is any Liverpool fans reading the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

its very ironic to see the majority of the moaning and negativity being done this morning by the people who are complaining about moaning and negativity.

believe it or not, its this thats dragging down the thread more than anything else - anytime somebody has a concern, they are shot down and labelled a moaner or clueless.

You came in and said several people are happy and have their head in the sand. This is a blatant lie and you are called out on it. Everybody knows we need signings. I won't panic a week into a new managers reign where he want's to look at the players.

Nolars wrote: »
    Even if we do sign no one else LVG will get the current group of players playing 30 - 40% better than they did last season.

Great. Hopefully he can stop Evans, Rafeal and Jones from getting injured. And turn Carrick into a 28 year old.

So you're moaning about the people that are moaning about the moaning???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Rooney and Van Gaal.

Impressive energy in all the training clips I have seen so far in manchestereveningnews and mail online site.

Since we are all being so negative.....I don't think Big Dave would be getting a hug!! That was cat.
    Edit: Though it's hard to make out exactly who is in goal, looks like the gatch of DDG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

inception-movie.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

With regard woddward announcing the spending power. Other clubs know that united are flush. ffs we were going on about this recently ourselves. The clubs financials (main ones at least) are announced publicly anyway. I really don't see his announcement as having that much impact on the price of players and zero impact on uniteds ability to get the players they want.

That is not to say that united will get every player wanted. Kroos may have been a target but i believe that he was going to madrid once they were in for him for example.

Are you moaning about that ffs? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Yeah we've had to pay over the odds for players when we didn't have the Adidas deal so announcing our new found wealth it isn't going to make much difference.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    We will get the players. No question. We just need to chill out.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lord TSC wrote: »
    When I wake up and go through ten pages of people giving out about Beckham, Woodward, transfers, our possible league positions, then it's a negative start to the thread, IMO. That's not saying there isn't merits to the points or that people aren't entitled to discuss them, so please don't imply that's what I am saying.

Just that after the wave of positivity over the last few months, we do seem to be back to discussing the worst scenarios. I miss the positivity. :(

This isn't Deal or no deal, who gives a **** about positivity or negativity. I'd far rather discuss our actual dealings, good and bad, than read the constant parade of twitter reports that so many people seem to love ****ting out.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    We are a week into LVGs reign. A week.

Far more pertinent is the fact that we are only 3 weeks away from the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Always find it funny the way football clubs are made out to be fecking morons when it comes to money and transfers. As if as long as it isn't in black and white and quotable to the club, no one knows about it.

As if United saying they have money is going to make a difference, as said about our financials are well known - clubs know we have record sponsor deals being announced nearly every week it seems - they know the cash we have and they know the squad we have.

Same with stuff like 'We'll sign Vidal once Juve have made their signings, they want them done before selling so they don't getted mugged off buying players'. Same was said re. Bale/Spurs/Madrid last summer. Does anyone think Roma didn't know Bale was going to be sold and thus thought 'Oh, Spurs don't have much money so we'' have to be reasonable with them'. I knew Bale was going. You knew Bale was going, you can be damned sure Roma knew too, and would factor that future cash into their negotiations with Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

No it's not. Having a concern about the strength of the defence the day before the start of the season is valid. Having a concern about left back coverage an hour after Evra is transferred with 3 weeks to go before the season starts is a different story.

It just comes across as negative when there is so much time left in the transfer window combined with the fact that we have a manger who nobody in their right mind would think would go into a season with one left back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Everything is great!

We have a world class manager with plenty money to spend. What's not to be happy about?

Are there seriously people here who think Louis van focking Gaal will make his first foray into the Premier league with "the number one club in the world" with one left back and 3 centre backs?? Or to paraphrase, are there really people here on boards.ie that think they know better than Louis Van Gaal??

Really?

REALLY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Always find it funny the way football clubs are made out to be fecking morons when it comes to money and transfers. As if as long as it isn't in black and white and quotable to the club, no one knows about it.

As if United saying they have money is going to make a difference, as said about our financials are well known - clubs know we have record sponsor deals being announced nearly every week it seems - they know the cash we have and they know the squad we have.

Same with stuff like 'We'll sign Vidal once Juve have made their signings, they want them done before selling so they don't getted mugged off buying players'. Same was said re. Bale/Spurs/Madrid last summer. Does anyone think Roma didn't know Bale was going to be sold and thus thought 'Oh, Spurs don't have much money so we'' have to be reasonable with them'. I knew Bale was going. You knew Bale was going, you can be damned sure Roma knew too, and would factor that future cash into their negotiations with Spurs.

This tbh.

And even without the likes of the new Adidas deal being announced, European clubs always see English clubs coming a mile off with their bags of cash because they know how much better off they are already compared to other continental teams from the way the TV deals etc. are done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Bit of a sensationalist headline from Jackson there. I really don't see anything wrong with Woodward's comments when you actually read the piece.
    “You guys think about the money in a way that I don’t. I get pointed in the direction of a target that the manager wants and there is an assessment of what that might cost and I’ll negotiate hard to do the best I can on the trade. I stand by what I said – there is no budget. We are in a very strong financial position. We can make big signings. That doesn’t mean we go and throw money around. Louis is the manager. We have a lot of scouting output through the last 12 months, flagging up various things to us. Louis is the one that makes the ultimate decision around who he wants in the squad. I’m not going to force feed him with a player that he hasn’t selected.”

I really don't see any difference between what he's said and the countless times we heard Gill deliver the annual "Fergie has plenty of money spend" speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Bit of a sensationalist headline from Jackson there. I really don't see anything wrong with Woodward's comments when you actually read the piece.

I really don't see any difference between what he's said and the countless times we heard Gill deliver the annual "Fergie has plenty of money spend" speech.

He does it every time.

Yeah, there was nothing wrong with what Woodward said, if anything it is positive for fans. He said he will sign only players wanted by Van Gaal and he doesn't have fixed budget to get targets.

ericzeking wrote: »
    Everything is great!

We have a world class manager with plenty money to spend. What's not to be happy about?

Are there seriously people here who think Louis van focking Gaal will make his first foray into the Premier league with "the number one club in the world" with one left back and 3 centre backs?? Or to paraphrase, are there really people here on boards.ie that think they know better than Louis Van Gaal??

Really?

REALLY?

It's getting close to the start of the season. There's some obvious weaknesses in the squad. Weaknesses that could really hurt next season if we get our usual spate of defensive injuries. People are concerned, yes. Why shouldnt they be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

yep, that appears to be the case.

you're not moaning, about the people, who are moaning about the moaning by moaners any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Jackson would have no control over the headline, that's the sub editors job.

It's getting close to the start of the season. There's some obvious weaknesses in the squad. Weaknesses that could really hurt next season if we get our usual spate of defensive injuries. People are concerned, yes. Why shouldnt they be?

Because there is 3 weeks before the season starts.

Ed has learned from his mistakes last year.

LVG is not someone who would not have a plan ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Papers pushing the Di Maria to United story again,his talked of move to PSG looks dead due to FFP restrictions and Madrid are willing to sell.United could be his destination.

Should we all just shift to break the tension?

RichFTW wrote: »
    Because there is 3 weeks before the season starts.

Ed has learned from his mistakes last year.

LVG is not someone who would not have a plan ready.

We dont actually know if Ed has learned much in the last year. Remember, Herrera and Shaw were essentially deals that were done during the last year and were in place. It's different if he has to sign quality in one window (start to finish).

Realistically, we need a CB, LB, CM. This is really minimum requirement going into the new season. Three weeks left. That's a new signing per week...

yep, that appears to be the case.

you're not moaning, about the people, who are moaning about the moaning by moaners any chance?

You bet your moany ass I am!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Always find it funny the way football clubs are made out to be fecking morons when it comes to money and transfers.

As if United saying they have money is going to make a difference,

Mostly agree with you, but in the case of Woodward's comments it seems fair to say that he's going to be under more pressure personally to deliver now than if he'd kept schtum, and presumably the selling clubs will know this.

Regarding transfers,the club seem to have gone back to the "lets do this quietly" routine.None of the farcical stuff of last season where it was like a horny teen looking for anyone to do the biz.
    I believe Woodward was so bullish in his interview because a few signings are already done deals but will be announced when the club are ready,not when the media or fans are.

zerks wrote: »
    Regarding transfers,the club seem to have gone back to the "lets do this quietly" routine.None of the farcical stuff of last season where it was like a horny teen looking for anyone to do the biz.
    I believe Woodward was so bullish in his interview because a few signings are already done deals but will be announced when the club are ready,not when the media or fans are.

I really hope so! I just can't for the life of me figure out why they aren't announcing these done deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Jackson would have no control over the headline, that's the sub editors job.

Correct, and all he wants is clicks.

dem precious clicks.

SSN saying they'll be talking to Herrera within the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

So apparently a bid of £42.5 million will be launched for Vidal in the coming days. Let's just say its true. If we got Vidal, Blind(£17million) and Cuadrado(£28million) that would cost a total of £87.5million. Big money but I would be very happy with those three. Still would like DeVrij but he might be moving elsewhere in the Premiership.

Since DiMaria has been rumoured to be allowed leave United have been linked. His value by most scouts is around £39.5 million. Personally I'm not his biggest fan and would rather we got Cuadrado and Blind for £45 million total rather than spend near that for DiMaria.

I know its all just rumours atm and you can't buy every player you're linked with. Hopefully we get a transfer by the end of the week, or some solid proof that a bid has been made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Personally I'd be of the view that if there is no fixed transfer budget, Van Gaal should just go out and buy the entire Bayern and Barcelona squads.

We dont actually know if Ed has learned much in the last year. Remember, Herrera and Shaw were essentially deals that were done during the last year and were in place. It's different if he has to sign quality in one window (start to finish).

Realistically, we need a CB, LB, CM. This is really minimum requirement going into the new season. Three weeks left. That's a new signing per week...

Maybe he has other deals lined up so? I think he does and that they are mostly Dutch players. They did just finish 3rd in the world cup and LVG knows them well.

LB & CM could be covered by signing Blind. CB by signing De Vrij. Two signings for a manager who just coached them at the world cup would be a realistic possibility in my view.

As a CEO, Woodward would be hurting after last year and would have been planning every possible way to rectify the situation since then. Any top level business man would be and that is what he is.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    So apparently a bid of £42.5 million will be launched for Vidal in the coming days. Let's just say its true. If we got Vidal, Blind(£17million) and Cuadrado(£28million) that would cost a total of £87.5million (didnt they say they had near £90 million to spend, money from sales of players excluded). Big money but I would be very happy with those three. Still would like DeVrij but he might be moving elsewhere in the Premiership.

Since DiMaria has been rumoured to be allowed leave United have been linked. His value by most scouts is around £39.5 million. Personally I'm not his biggest fan and would rather we got Cuadrado and Blind for £45 million total rather than spend near that for DiMaria.

I know its all just rumours atm and you can't buy every player you're linked with. Hopefully we get a transfer by the end of the week, or some solid proof that a bid has been made.

Does Cuadrado not have some stupidly high buyout clause or did I imagine that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Adamocovic wrote: »
    So apparently a bid of £42.5 million will be launched for Vidal in the coming days.

What has you thinking that? I havent read anything with substance in relation to Vidal joining us

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement