Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The only stance today.
    sspcs.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Hococop wrote: »
    ......... Must resist urge to get excited............

Don't know why people would get excited yet. At the moment the whole thing is being driven by el Mercurio and any sites saying they 'understand' are using el Mercurio too and just not admitting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Well that's the gym cancelled time to sit around pressing refresh for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Thought I misread psg there when they mentioned Liverpool might get him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Well that's the gym cancelled time to sit around pressing refresh for a few hours.

Think the sambo is gone too – bag of crisps and a mars bar to keep the F5 button warm – damn you lunchtime mega signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Trilla wrote: »
    vidal

vidal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

im sick of all this vidal stuff just sign or dont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

sky88 wrote: »
    im sick of all this vidal stuff just sign or dont

haha don't read the rumours thread then :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Trilla wrote: »
    haha don't read the rumours thread then :P

i try but im like a moth to a flame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Hococop wrote: »
    ......... Must resist urge to get excited............

Its caught offside, wouldnt get too excited, how is Lewandowski getting on with us?? :D

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/08/04/man-united-reach-agreement-to-sign-borussia-dortmund-forward-robert-lewandowski/

Its caught offside, wouldnt get too excited, how is Lewandowski getting on with us?? :D

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/08/04/man-united-reach-agreement-to-sign-borussia-dortmund-forward-robert-lewandowski/

In their defence, that story even ran on ManUtd.com that he was signed and all! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Apparently we should know one way or the other about Vidal by August 6th as Juve want their team confirmed before they fly out to Indonesia so only another week of waiting :(

I keep going to bed and waking up to check BBC sport app on my phone to see if there has been any latest updates... getting a bit obsessive now so I'll be finally glad once it's over one way or the other!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Today could be a great day.

Imagine a three of Vidal, Herrera and Mata...sorry but that's Champions League winners stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What I was reading wasn't coming from the article linked...although maybe possible that the journalist in question works for said paper ?

Indication he's a finger the pulse man with Juventus. Which is where I think the best stuff will come from. Fail to see how a Chilean paper would be any wiser to a situation unfolding in Italy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

TheDoc wrote: »
    What I was reading wasn't coming from the article linked...although maybe possible that the journalist in question works for said paper ?

Indication he's a finger the pulse man with Juventus. Which is where I think the best stuff will come from. Fail to see how a Chilean paper would be any wiser to a situation unfolding in Italy.

Eh, because Vidal is Chilean.

Just like the Examiner might know more about a Roy Keane story than The Sun because its journalist can walk around to Mayfield and seek out Keane's Dad for some inside info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Eh, because Vidal is Chilean.

Just like the Examiner might know more about a Roy Keane story than The Sun because its journalist can walk around to Mayfield and seek out Keane's Dad for some inside info.

Yes Chilean news sources were the first to report on Sanchez coming to Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

greendom wrote: »
    Yes Chilean news sources were the first to report on Sanchez coming to Arsenal.

Which source? I assume chile has tabloids too...,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

The rumours of Fellaini to Napoli have continued today. But saying that his wages could cause a problem. And they want him on loan for the season first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Macca07 wrote: »
    The rumours of Fellaini to Napoli have continued today. But saying that his wages could cause a problem. And they want him on loan for the season first.

I'd rather keep him than loan him out. Sell him or keep him.

Don't bow to Napoli's tight-arse demands.

J. Marston wrote: »
    [/B]

I'd rather keep him than loan him out. Sell him or keep him.

Don't bow to Napoli's tight-arse demands.

If they paid his wages in full then why not? That would save £5M for a season rather than p1ss it away on him playing for the reserves. We could then use that €100k a week to upgrade ourselves to a real mid fielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Coat22 wrote: »
    If they paid his wages in full then why not? That would save £5M for a season rather than p1ss it away on him playing for the reserves. We could then use that €100k a week to upgrade ourselves to a real mid fielder

if Ando goes, along with the 6 players already gone, theres around £30million gone on last seasons wage bill (excluding Shaw and Herrera).

considering Woodward said in the last financial summit that our wage bill would increase by 10%+ i dont think theres any actual more need to reduce our wage bill unless its being done to close the gap on our projected drop in revenue (against forecast) for next season.

at the moment including the shaw and herrera transfers, our wage bill is about £38million less than what was expected and its pretty much funded 60% of our summer spending already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Father, Brother and other family are over in the States following the team.

I got call before KO and transfers was main topic and it apparently seems all very 2013 about the whole thing my Dad says.

Woodward is all wanting this BIG signing seems be doign rounds, but nobody knows what going on and its not in a United Board are keeping it in tight lipped way.

Im slowly losing my postitivity I had all summer. I really hope we get 1 maybe 2 big names, but im 50/50 on it now. I was so different just 2 weeks ago.

I got call before KO and transfers was main topic and it apparently seems all very 2013 about the whole thing my Dad says.

Woodward is all wanting this BIG signing seems be doign rounds, but nobody knows what going on and its not in a United Board are keeping it in tight lipped way.

Im slowly losing my postitivity I had all summer. I really hope we get 1 maybe 2 big names, but im 50/50 on it now. I was so different just 2 weeks ago.

h1001C02F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Don't turn into FutureGuy on me Kew

• Advertisement

HE KNOOOOOOOWS :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

h1001C02F
    brinty wrote: »
    Don't turn into FutureGuy on me Kew

I need help:pac::pac:..

mon Ed prove me wrong:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

No more signings

WE RIOT

No more signings

WE RIOT

there will be signings, dont worry about it. whether they are the right ones is another matter, but hopefully this big desire from Woodward to have a marquee signing finally comes true in the next month.

if Ando goes, along with the 6 players already gone, theres around £30million gone on last seasons wage bill (excluding Shaw and Herrera).

considering Woodward said in the last financial summit that our wage bill would increase by 10%+ i dont think theres any actual more need to reduce our wage bill unless its being done to close the gap on our projected drop in revenue (against forecast) for next season.

at the moment including the shaw and herrera transfers, our wage bill is about £38million less than what was expected and its pretty much funded 60% of our summer spending already.

….but what’s the sense in spending £5M in wages on a player who isn’t going to play?? Better to save the money and use it to attract someone who will actually play week in week out.

• Advertisement

….but what’s the sense in spending £5M in wages on a player who isn’t going to play?? Better to save the money and use it to attract someone who will actually play week in week out.

my point is that in a club that has a turnover of £420m, if we are depending on getting rid of a player before we can sign more, then there is something wrong.

we have the biggest archery in the transfer market according to our CE after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

No, you gotta hang onto the positivity. The tour will be finished soon, the boss will be finished finalising who's the driftwood and the big moves will happen swiftly and decisively.

No, you gotta hang onto the positivity. The tour will be finished soon, the boss will be finished finalising who's the driftwood and the big moves will happen swiftly and decisively.

Does the tour end after the Madrid game this weekend or what's the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

there will be signings, dont worry about it. whether they are the right ones is another matter, but hopefully this big desire from Woodward to have a marquee signing finally comes true in the next month.

Do you reckon that there is a possibility that LVG will sanction the signing of players that are not 'the right players'?

I'd expect Nani, Anderson, Hernandez (I don't want to lose him) and possibly one more to be sold before the end of the window. Can see Young getting games at LWB as back up to Shaw, and Valencia as RWB as back up to Rafael.

MagicIRL wrote: »

If they win the group, then they'll have the final to play. Good chance they will win it at this stage.

ericzeking wrote: »
    Do you reckon that there is a possibility that LVG will sanction the signing of players that are not 'the right players'?

No, but he might have a different opinion to what the right player is compared to the fans opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭secman

LVG is on a fast learning curve in trying to assess the squad of players he has inherited. He will, as he stated , only buy where it is in his opinion, necessary to add to the squad, not for the sake of it. I am expecting at least 2 to 3 players to not make his cut and will be very surprised if he does not add 2 to 3 players to balance the squad as he has gone on record to suggest it is unbalanced. The money is there....... was a bit surprised he didn't go for De Vrij... small money involved ......but maybe he knows more than us mere mortals ! I dare say if LVG wanted De Vrij we would have got him. Still expect signings before deadline..... this guy is a perfectionist....... have patience and faith.

Secman

ericzeking wrote: »

yes, of course its possible - ferguson did it multiple times over the past 5 years for example and i am sure theres plenty of players out there that Van Gaal likes that other top managers may not sign if they were the manager.

its all about his system isnt it or as they say, players that buy into his philosophy?

Did Henriquez come back from his loan. I think he has great potential he might step in as 4th choice striker if Hernandez leaves.

• Advertisement

my point is that in a club that has a turnover of £420m, if we are depending on getting rid of a player before we can sign more, then there is something wrong.

we have the biggest archery in the transfer market according to our CE after all.

....and my point is even if we don't need to sell to buy (which I don't think we do!!) it is pointless WASTING £5M in wages on a player to who isn't going to get his game if someone else is willing to pay him for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

....and my point is even if we don't need to sell to buy (which I don't think we do!!) it is pointless WASTING £5M in wages on a player to who isn't going to get his game if someone else is willing to pay him for us.

New start, no point having players getting that 5million and doing nothing for it. Clear them out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'd expect Nani, Anderson, Hernandez (I don't want to lose him) and possibly one more to be sold before the end of the window. Can see Young getting games at LWB as back up to Shaw, and Valencia as RWB as back up to Rafael.

I'm going to cause some gasps here, but there may be games were Young is preferred to Shaw. We now have wing backs and we have, right now, two types of player on the left and on the right - a guy who is primarily a defender with excellent attacking ability and another guy who is primarily an attacker but with very good defensive ability. Depending on the game and the team, Young could be preferrable at LWB, especially againt narrow teams. Nani will never do the defensive job that Young will, and that's why he's probably going to be sold.

I must say that Young has done really well to adapt to the change. I'm actually looking forward to seeing who steps up, and right now, Young is doing that.

Did Henriquez come back from his loan. I think he has great potential he might step in as 4th choice striker if Hernandez leaves.

AFAIK, he is back. Wasn't included in the squad for the US tour though. I think he may get another year on loan, hopefully at a PL club or a good championship club.

Firstly we don;t have a big number of midfielders and secondly we don't have much quality in midfielders. If Fellaini stay's at the club he will play games don't talk nonsense about him not going to get his game.

Young is no world beater but he certainly is good enough to be a squad player. Hopefully he gets a new lease of life under LVG. He had a very decent first season but has been niggled with injuries since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

MagicIRL wrote: »

Sorry, just seen your post now. As Macca said earlier, we'll probably make the final which is on next Monday. So things could start happening once we get it out of the way.

well at the moment we have 3 center midfielders on the tour - i think Fellaini is good enough to dislodge one, if not two of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

One of the things that's making me think we won't be making a ''big'' signing this Summer is the constant line of ''LvG wants to evaluate the squad before making any decisions''.

Now surely this means that he is in fact evaluating the current ''squad'' and reserve players at the club and not the Rooneys, Matas etc. as he would presumably already know a lot about them or at least enough to make a decent estimation of their capabilities without needing 6 weeks with them. i.e. the point I'm making, he's happy with his lot in terms of main first XI quality and is simply evaluating what is needed in terms of rotation players.

In summary, the ilk of Vermaelen and Blind will be our lot for the window.

• Advertisement

Firstly we don;t have a big number of midfielders and secondly we don't have much quality in midfielders. If Fellaini stay's at the club he will play games don't talk nonsense about him not going to get his game.

Well that’s that then – no need for any more mid fielders after all!

He may get some games (away to stoke, home to QPR etc and a run in the Carling Cup) but the 10 or so games he would get would work out at half a million per game – now I’m not Michael O’Leary but I don’t think this represents good value for money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement