Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm going to cause some gasps here, but there may be games were Young is preferred to Shaw. We now have wing backs and we have, right now, two types of player on the left and on the right - a guy who is primarily a defender with excellent attacking ability and another guy who is primarily an attacker but with very good defensive ability. Depending on the game and the team, Young could be preferrable at LWB, especially againt narrow teams. Nani will never do the defensive job that Young will, and that's why he's probably going to be sold.

I must say that Young has done really well to adapt to the change. I'm actually looking forward to seeing who steps up, and right now, Young is doing that.

Shaw is way better at attacking than Young imo. Even if the competition was for left wing, or even right wing, I'd take Shaw over Young every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pro. F wrote: »
    Shaw is way better at attacking than Young imo. Even if the competition was for left wing, or even right wing, I'd take Shaw over Young every time.

shaw on the right wing over young :confused:

shaw has zero career goals as well!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Pro. F wrote: »

It's a good point Prof as Young can be truely horrific at times but he's had solid games under LVG thus far and, given the fact it's clear that we will be relying less on wing play than Moyes, it's possible.

Make no mistake, I see Shaw as the first choice form the vast majority of games but it wouldn't shock me to see Young in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Shaw is physically stronger than young and more likely to be able to carry out the defensive duties playing as wing back entails. Going forward, young offers more versatility. He can go on the outside or cut inside, he can beat a player, cross, shoot and is more likely to play a killer pass. All that said, I dont think he is of the standard needed by Utd. Best case scenario is to find a left winger to play with Shaw at LB. Someone like Cuadrado

I hope to fúck we definitely sign a defender or 2 before the window closes, LVG basically indicated that we will, but I am now no longer confident that we will sign another midfielder this Summer and he will perhaps wait it out to get Strootman next January/Summer.

With no European football and therefore rarely having to play 2 games per week this coming season, maybe LVG feels like taking a chance with the current MF roster of Herrera, Fletcher, Cleverley and Carrick when he returns. He has also expressed interest in trying Kagawa in the 6 or 8 role which would be another MF competing for 2 places, though I can't really see Kagawa as a 6. Also, there's the possibility that Fellaini will still be in the mix, for better or worse.

I'd love to see us sign another quality MF, a deep-lying one, but I feel that the CB position is now more of a priority considering LVG's system. Hummels of course would be ideal, but failing everything else Vermaelen would be better than not upgrading at all. I've been pleasantly surprised with Keane and Blackett on this pre-season tour, but I was also impressed with Zaha on last Summer's pre-season tour and look how that transcribed to the actual P.L. season.

On signings and transfer activity in general; Woodward's head is currently under a guillotine as far as my thoughts as a fan go. He talked a great game a few weeks ago regarding "no fixed budget" and the ability to "break the world transfer record", the man needs to seriously back this up with action in this transfer window.

I know there's the possibility that it's LVG who is holding off from pulling the trigger on signings, but poor wee Helen Keller could sense that the first 11 is weak and certain positions are in dire need of upgrading.

TL:DR - Need more signings, CB now more important than CM, Woodie needs to back-up his big talk and/or LVG needs to pull the trigger on some transfers. I am now not as positive or "It'll be grand lads" as I once was for this Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Also, does anyone else love how Van Gaal is using the ''old'' number terms for describing positions? :o

With the exception of ''10'' and ''false 9'', noone uses them these days instead opting for fancy dan Football Manager descriptors to illustrate their heat maps.

We'd probably all still be using numbers for roles if Championship manager hadn't switched from them in the late nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    One of the things that's making me think we won't be making a ''big'' signing this Summer is the constant line of ''LvG wants to evaluate the squad before making any decisions''.

Now surely this means that he is in fact evaluating the current ''squad'' and reserve players at the club and not the Rooneys, Matas etc. as he would presumably already know a lot about them or at least enough to make a decent estimation of their capabilities without needing 6 weeks with them. i.e. the point I'm making, XI he's happy with his lot in terms of main first ality and is simply evaluating what is needed in terms of rotation players.

In summary, the ilk of Vermaelen and Blind will be our lot for the window.

That would hold through if we had a strong first XI – he’ll surely have noticed his lack of strong CBs and the big hole where his mid-field should be.

I would say there will be very little activity before the season starts as he uses the coming weeks to continue who’s in, who’s out and where he needs new players. He’s already said last night we would be bringing in defenders. Vermaelen, Blind etc maybe what we get (that would at least sort the CB issue for now) as I can’t see any big signings happening in the last weeks of the window. This wouldn’t be the end of the world if we did at least get 3 more players who are at least of Premier League standard and a new manager who can get the most out of what we already have we should be pushing for 3rd/4th spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

bangkok wrote: »

Young has been shocking the last two years, Shaw's career just started, so he's obviously not going to get many goals.

The skillset that Young had, he's lost, he doesn't take on players anymore (which was his forté), and cuts inside too much.

I'd prefer Shaw over him too

:RE Left wing not right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Coat22 wrote: »
    That would hold through if we had a strong first XI – he’ll surely have noticed his lack of strong CBs and the big hole where his mid-field should be.

I would say there will be very little activity before the season starts as he uses the coming weeks to continue who’s in, who’s out and where he needs new players. He’s already said last night we would be bringing in defenders. Vermaelen, Blind etc maybe what we get (that would at least sort the CB issue for now) as I can’t see any big signings happening in the last weeks of the window. This wouldn’t be the end of the world if we did at least get 3 more players who are at least of Premier League standard and a new manager who can get the most out of what we already have we should be pushing for 3rd/4th spot

I agree that we need a top quality CM and CB.

I just think the current indications are showing that significantly lower quality squad signings are what will be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Young has been shocking the last two years, Shaw's career just started, so he's obviously not going to get many goals.

The skillset that Young had, he's lost, he doesn't take on players anymore (which was his forté), and cuts inside too much.

I'd prefer Shaw over him too

:RE Left wing not right

even assists!! to say shaw is better attacking than Ashley young at this moment in time is wrong imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

is there anybody on here that thinks we can win the league with our current squad?

and the opposite of this, is there anybody here who think we wont get top 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Still think it will be a 4th place finish, but more prepared now to be pleasantly surprised since the players seem to be in high spirits and welcoming LVG's instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He only has a like two assists as well. But having only played LB in a mid-table team for two seasons, and it being the very start of his career, I wouldn't judge him by those numbers. He's very good going forward.

I do rate Young a bit, so maybe I'd pick him on the right side. But definitely not on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

even assists!! to say shaw is better attacking than Ashley young at this moment in time is wrong imo.

As stated about Young hasn't been too prolific with the assist recently either.

Young was crap last season. Luke Shaw tore up the league... Luke Shaw is a left back, Ashley Young is a forward, one has been playing about five mins, the other about a decade. How can you tell me statistic like goals and assists arerelevant when we're comparing players who've played in completely different positions over completely different timelines..

All I've stated is that given the decision, would I choose the exciting LB who actually takes on players and can cross first time over the player who attempts to take on a player, pussies out and cuts onto his other foot only to throw in a cross everyone was expecting 5 seconds ago.

Luke Shaw all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Well that’s that then – no need for any more mid fielders after all!

He may get some games (away to stoke, home to QPR etc and a run in the Carling Cup) but the 10 or so games he would get would work out at half a million per game – now I’m not Michael O’Leary but I don’t think this represents good value for money.

You are seriously under rating fellaini.

You are seriously under rating fellaini.

It doesn’t really matter what I think though does it? Van Gaal has obviously decided he’s surplus to requirements if he was sent over to Napoli to talk to them. If he doesn’t move then why would you think he would suddenly become a regular (also bearing in mind that LVGs assistant dropped him from the match squad completely when he took charge)? I know we’re not flush with options and I don’t think he’s as bad a player as the last 12 months would suggest but he’s not going to be worth spending another £5M on at United for the amount of games he’ll be used in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

It doesn’t really matter what I think though does it? Van Gaal has obviously decided he’s surplus to requirements if he was sent over to Napoli to talk to them. If he doesn’t move then why would you think he would suddenly become a regular (also bearing in mind that LVGs assistant dropped him from the match squad completely when he took charge)? I know we’re not flush with options and I don’t think he’s as bad a player as the last 12 months would suggest but he’s not going to be worth spending another £5M on at United for the amount of games he’ll be used in

Is he not on holiday?

Park retired at the weekend?

First I'd heard - only 33 - now there was a lad who could do a job for you when you needed him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Park retired at the weekend?

First I'd heard - only 33 - now there was a lad who could do a job for you when you needed him

The world's first nuclear powered Korean according to Mr. Andrea Pirlo. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

is there anybody on here that thinks we can win the league with our current squad?

With our current squad (perhaps I have a glass half full view of it) I think it is possible that our squad is good enough to win the league. By which I mean our team is well good enough to beat 90% of the teams in the league which would put us right up there. You only have to look at last season and what Liverpool did to show it's never impossible to be in the shakeup with the right coaching and a bit of belief.

But I would hope we would still strengthen in defence and midfield and a reasonable epectation is CL qualification next season.

With the current squad, fully fit, I wouldn't be confident at all of winning the league. Chelsea, on paper, have far too strong of a starting 11 and even if we somehow managed to sign the likes of Vidal and Hummels, even DiMaria, it would still be a hard task.

However, I do think we'd have a great chance of top 4 with the current squad. It is frustrating though. We couldn't ask for an 'easier' start to the season with the first 6-8 fixtures as they are, the club really should be doing all they can to capitalise on this and make sure we have the best start to the season as is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

So he isn't back yet but is being dropped from games and been sent to talk to places. Right.

He is a grand player. For the sake of 5 million what's the point? Leave him sit around and play games when needed.

He is still an asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

Will hold off till window closes and see if anyone else comes in. Not forgetting a few will probably be moved on too.
    But as of now I would settle for an improvement on last season.

Can't see us getting near City or Chelsea with the current squad. Even if we were to add Vidal and Hummels I think we'd struggle as we don't have the strenght in dept they have. What we do have is a lack of European action and as Liverpool showed last year that could make it possible for an average squad if one or two are on fire.

Reckon we'll finish 3rd or 4th though. Can't see Liverpool lasting the pace. One season wonders. Arsenal should be stronger but you never know with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Regarding Fellaini, it is possible that Van Gaal wants to have a look at him before he decides to hold on to him or not and also possible that if he is up for sale that United are not moving for anyone until they get rid of him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i think we will get top 4 but i think it will be a tight battle with Liverpool for it which united will edge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The magic spray foam stuff will be used in the premier League this season. About time too!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The magic spray foam stuff will be used in the premier League this season. About time too!

Ref Jizz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

lordgoat wrote: »
    Ref Jizz?

Not quite sure that will vanish into thin air though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Just got tickets for united v Chelsea in October and v Southampton in jan, delighted. To say the least, I normally get to games like reading and west brom!

Sirsok wrote: »
    Just got tickets for united v Chelsea in October and v Southampton in jan, delighted. To say the least, I normally get to games like reading and west brom!

i still have some tickets left for west ham and qpr games if anybody is interested in them. should have a couple of spares for later in the winter also - theres a group of about 8 of us that have season tickets, but not everybody can get to all games so theres normally a few spare here and there.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Ref Jizz?

This is why Fellaini cut his hair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No chance of the league with the current squad IMO.

Will be a battle for fourth, a real battle. The numbers aren't there at the back. Injuries could easily cost us fourth place with the lack of cover at the back.

Even with the midfield as it is, I think we could challenge for the league with some serious addictions to the back.

adox wrote: »
    No chance of the league with the current squad IMO.

Will be a battle for fourth, a real battle. The numbers aren't there at the back. Injuries could easily cost us fourth place with the lack of cover at the back.

Even with the midfield as it is, I think we could challenge for the league with some serious addictions to the back.

in theory, numbers ARE there and if Van Gaal really is pushing the youth through, we have the following.

Rafael, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Shaw, Keane, Blackett, James.

in his eyes, thats 8 players and we will add Vermaelen i assume. none of us will agree with him, but LVG could see that as enough for the season :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looks like some lad got a shoe up the hole after this slip up last night,

Got Utd's home ground wrong and then fecked up the team graphics

http://www.joe.ie/football/premier-league/pic-oh-dear-the-graphics-operator-on-man-utds-pre-season-tour-had-an-absolute-nightmare/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Rooneys looking really sharp in pre season, hope he makes a big mark this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Well that’s that then – no need for any more mid fielders after all!

He may get some games (away to stoke, home to QPR etc and a run in the Carling Cup) but the 10 or so games he would get would work out at half a million per game – now I’m not Michael O’Leary but I don’t think this represents good value for money.

So give your opinion on our other options if you think Fellaini will only play a few games and we can afford to loan him out.

Cleverley
    Herrera
    Carrick
    Fletcher
    Anderson

in theory, numbers ARE there and if Van Gaal really is pushing the youth through, we have the following.

in his eyes, thats 8 players and we will add Vermaelen i assume. none of us will agree with him, but LVG could see that as enough for the season :o

Rafael, Jones and Smalling are injury prone. Keane, Blackett and James and totally unproven at the top level. I wold be very surprised if he thinks they are good enough i expect at least 2 defenders coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

No way we're getting near Chelsea or City with our current squad, but I'd be hopeful of pushing for third with Arsenal and Liverpool close behind.
    Mind you I was hopeful of winning the thing this time last year, so what would I know.

Improve in the right areas with the right personnel though, and who knows....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

nuxxx wrote: »
    Rooneys looking really sharp in pre season, hope he makes a big mark this year

Yup, one thing I'm really liking about our formation is that it plays Mata, Rooney and RVP in their best positions. Rooney really looks up for playing for LVG. If those three players get going they get bags of goals between them!!

Really surprised we are third favorites for the league and Liverpool are double our price. I think City, Chelsea, Arsenal are well clear and we will be run close by Liverpool for 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

My jerseys arrived both of them! Delighted! Haven't been online since last night... Whats the latest news today?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Really surprised we are third favorites for the league and Liverpool are double our price. I think City, Chelsea, Arsenal are well clear and we will be run close by Liverpool for 4th.

Chances are one of the trio will have a slow start or injury problems. Not unreasonable to think one of them will have an off season like every club does every now and again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

MrMac84 wrote: »
    My jerseys arrived both of them! Delighted! Haven't been online since last night... Whats the latest news today?

Vidal is still coming or he isn't...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Sirsok wrote: »
    Well done. As a matter of interest where did you source the tickets? Hoping to go before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

With the whole Vidal thing its still in the dark as it seems. They head for there pre season tour on Saturday as far as i know so if he goes with the team thats that id imagine.

Weather we have any other targets lined up for midfield its hard to know everything seems to be pointing to defenders at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

dixiefly wrote: »
    Well done. As a matter of interest where did you source the tickets? Hoping to go before Christmas.

My dad and his brother knows a lad that buys 2 season ticket every year in kk and buys 5 tickets each every year, so normally . Bout 320 each for the 10 tickets and we normally get 2 big games and 3 others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The mammy went out and purchased a hair straightener today and left it on the kitchen worktop. Walked past it and something caught my eye....

ArturOn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The mammy went out and purchased a hair straightener today and left it on the kitchen worktop. Walked past it and something caught my eye....

ArturOn!

It's a SIGN FROM THE HEAVENS

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement