Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I find it absolutely shocking that United have still not signed a central midfielder to partner Herrera. The thought that one of Carrick, Cleverley or Fellaini are going to be a regular starter for United this season in central midfield is absolutely astounding. I honestly can't believe United are repeating the exact same mistakes as previous years. No lessons learned, not proper improvement in our league standing, imo. Going to be a struggle for 4th.

What astounds me is that people can't see it. Our squad is in bits and people are happy to believe that it will all be hunky dory.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

I find it absolutely shocking that United have still not signed a central midfielder to partner Herrera. The thought that one of Carrick, Cleverley or Fellaini are going to be a regular starter for United this season in central midfield is absolutely astounding. I honestly can't believe United are repeating the exact same mistakes as previous years. No lessons learned, not proper improvement in our league standing, imo. Going to be a struggle for 4th.

I find it shocking no one is up in arms over the reports that the Glazers are to take 150m out of the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

I find it shocking no one is up in arms over the reports that the Glazers are to take 150m out of the club.

Think Herrera will make a big difference compared to last year. Him partnering an on form Carrick or a fully fit fletcher wouldnt be the end of the world.
    Strootman will be signed in January.

Its defenders that id be concerned about at this moment.

Herrera is going to look like shit trying to operate on his own against most midfields. He cannot do it on his own and his own performances will suffer, same as any player would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Ravel Morrison charged with assaulting two women (from Sky Sports).
    What a moronic scumbag. Another talented footballer completely lacking in the common sense department!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Deiseboy01 wrote: »

In what sense are they taking 150m out of the club? They're selling shares, not taking a management fee from the club bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Nuts102 wrote: »
    So give your opinion on our other options if you think Fellaini will only play a few games and we can afford to loan him out.

Cleverley
    Herrera
    Carrick
    Fletcher
    Anderson

All the above apart from Anderson.

As I said - my opinion doesn't count here. What is apparent is that he (along with Anderson) is certainly not in LVGs plans. One of Fletcher or Cleverly may not be either.

That would leave us short on options but we will have fewer games and I can see Kagawa being used as a CM if needed. I also believe we will sign another mid fielder before the window closes although it may not be the Vidal calibre player we all hope for.

The guy is paid £5M a year. If LVG doesn't intend using him for 25+ games then he represents poor value (he's not alone - can't see Nani playing much either and how much is he paid?)

This summer will be part of a 3 year plan IMO - we won't fix this squad in 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

If United were to sign one CB and one CM, bar Vidal and Hummels, who would your preference be.

I'd like to see William Carvalho signed, but not for the £37 million they're looking for. Great talent, and one player who you could compare to Toure.

As for CB, it needs to be an experienced player, we have enough young players in that position, and I fear without an experienced CB, we will struggle.

Coat22 wrote: »
    What is apparent is that he (along with Anderson) is certainly not in LVGs plans.

How is it apparent and certain? Has LvG said this in a press conference? I'd love to know the thought process for getting to this conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

:confused:

They own the club. They're selling some of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

zerks wrote: »
    Just to cheer us up while waiting for us to feckin' sign a few more players here's this gem from Stevie G.

Right lads and lasses, I've issued in-thread warnings in the past about this sort of post; bringing up Liverpool with no other intentions but to take shots and laugh at the them, be it at players or the club, all serves to cause problems, because it acts as a massive big beacon to other fans. It's only going to serve to wind them up, the definition of trolling.

It's one thing to discuss "Club X vs United" with the aim of actually trying to stay on topic; it's another to post a comment which at best drags us off topic, at worst causes other team's fans to enter the topic and disrupt it.

No more warnings. Cut this out. Now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,409 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

They aren't taking it out of the club though.

THey are going to sell shares, which are in their name. Someone, from outside the club is going to pay for them and the money will go to the Glazers. It is money the club never had.

Macca07 wrote: »
    How is it apparent and certain? Has LvG said this in a press conference? I'd love to know the thought process for getting to this conclusion.

.....eh he was sent to Napoli do discuss a possible transfer - I'm certainly no management expert but I would imagine your employer sending you off to talk to another employer about the possiblilty of you moving to them is their way of saying you're not in their plans

.....eh he was sent to Napoli do discuss a possible transfer - I'm certainly no management expert but I would imagine your employer sending you off to talk to another employer about the possiblilty of you moving to them is their way of saying you're not in their plans

He was sent to Napoli to discuss a transfer? You taking the word of the journalists on this one or have you got an inside scoop?

LvG has said that he's going to assess the squad before making any decisions on transfers. I would take it that he is waiting to see all his players in training before deciding which ones to sell, including Fellaini.

And the £5 million in wages he makes a year isn't exactly going to send us into bankrupycy. He earns less than Young, less than Nani, and slightly more than Welbeck, around the same as Fletcher, same as Kagawa, same as Carrick.

I'd prefer to cut our losses on one of our overpaid wingers than getting rid of a player in a position that we've struggled in for the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

What are you on about?

Shares are being sold?

Person x sells to person y at current price.

Person y is entitled to dividends or sell to person z at another price making a profit.

What are you on about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

They're not though. They're effectively selling some shares for $150m. For fans, it's an irrelevance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Was he? It's pretty unusual for any player to actually physically go to the new club until everything has been agreed and it's time to to a medical. The agents and clubs do the leg work, not the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I watched the game v Inter last night. Some very nice football played by United. Zaha also did very well as a striker. Offered good pace off the ball and, I suspect, if he was match fit and mentally sharp, would've tucked away his chances.

The high ball seems to be the 'go-to' for attacking the back 3 and United, so far, have dealt with it very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭billyhead

To not sign another top central midfielder is stupid. Herrera cant do everything on his own. Look at all the other big teams i.e Chelsea, City, Real, Bayern and Barca and hey have 2-3 top class central midfielders on a different level to the likes of Carrick and Cleverly.

• Advertisement

Macca07 wrote: »
    He was sent to Napoli to discuss a transfer? You taking the word of the journalists on this one or have you got an inside scoop?

LvG has said that he's going to assess the squad before making any decisions on transfers. I would take it that he is waiting to see all his players in training before deciding which ones to sell, including Fellaini.

And the £5 million in wages he makes a year isn't exactly going to send us into bankrupycy. He earns less than Young, less than Nani, and slightly more than Welbeck, around the same as Fletcher, same as Kagawa, same as Carrick.

I'd prefer to cut our losses on one of our overpaid wingers than getting rid of a player in a position that we've struggled in for the last few years.

Ok I give up.

Hopefully we hold onto Fellani so that we can feel compelled to play him in 5-10 matches this season, watch his value fall further and waste a further £5M in salaries in the process.

Likewise we should do the same with Nani (you never know we might revert to 4-4-2 or he might reinvent himself as a striker when RVP gets a cruciate injury), Cleverly, Fletcher etc.

Young would also head my list for the exit but he seems to have impressed as a wing back, of which we have none. Kagawa is borderline, but like Fellani would probably only play a few games in a season in a position where we have cover so why keep him.

If we get to both cup finals we’ll play what? 48-50 games this season (43 plus whatever it takes to win a Carling Cup when you’re out of Europe). We won’t need a massive squad (As VG has admitted in a press conference). If United miss out on a Vidal or Hummels because we’ll squabbling over a few million on a transfer fee then whats the point in wasting £5 million on a (reserve) bench warmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Ok I give up.

Hopefully we hold onto Fellani so that we can feel compelled to play him in 5-10 matches this season, watch his value fall further and waste a further £5M in salaries in the process.

Likewise we should do the same with Nani (you never know we might revert to 4-4-2 or he might reinvent himself as a striker when RVP gets a cruciate injury), Cleverly, Fletcher etc.

Young would also head my list for the exit but he seems to have impressed as a wing back, of which we have none. Kagawa is borderline, but like Fellani would probably only play a few games in a season in a position where we have cover so why keep him.

If we get to both cup finals we’ll play what? 48-50 games this season (43 plus whatever it takes to win a Carling Cup when you’re out of Europe). We won’t need a massive squad (As VG has admitted in a press conference). If United miss out on a Vidal or Hummels because we’ll squabbling over a few million on a transfer fee then whats the point in wasting £5 million on a (reserve) bench warmer?

I don't think many people are disagreeing with you that he should get games ahead of some of the other players. It's just the assertion that he's on his way to Napoli, there's nothing but transfer rumours so far. He was at the world cup, thus didn't go on tour, we don't know what LVG thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭weisses

Was reading that Napoli wants to include Mertens in the Fellaini deal

Mertens would be a good player for Man U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Isnt Fellaini on holidays and not even due back which is why he isn't on the tour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm expecting my first child, which should have been here Friday past, but seems to be a little too comfy in there. It's a funny parallel. I come home from work, ask hows things, any movement, do we think it will be this evening or tonight.

Then I move to SSN, see how's things, any movement, and if anything will happen that night.

I can't help but feel I should blame Woodward for this delay. And the transfers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

fitze69 wrote: »

Again the source of that article is El Mercurio, they're driving the whole thing and all the papers are regurgitating what they say.

Isnt Fellaini on holidays and not even due back which is why he isn't on the tour?

He arrived back with Janners this week afaik at Carrington

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

what happens if we dont sign him now, will the media try and blame an underlying injury or just go back to the excuse of "oh LVG pulled the plug on the transfer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm expecting my first child, which should have been here Friday past, but seems to be a little too comfy in there. It's a funny parallel. I come home from work, ask hows things, any movement, do we think it will be this evening or tonight.

Then I move to SSN, see how's things, any movement, and if anything will happen that night.

I can't help but feel I should blame Woodward for this delay. And the transfers too.

Congrats - best of luck whenever he or she turns up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Twitter rumors that Sandro is transfer listed and is available for around 10 Million. Not sure what's going on with him as he looked like best DM in the league. Wouldn't mind signing Sandro for that price. He was excellent last season or before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

At least you know you've a world class signing on the way, despite the wait.

The rest of us are still more hopeful than optimistic.
    Good luck with the new arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Sports journalism is becoming a bigger joke every year. I know there are some credible writers but the bulk of it is just silly rumours without any real sources. Any of us could just write the stuff. All they do is put a title that will attract views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Hococop wrote: »
    what happens if we dont sign him now, will the media try and blame an underlying injury or just go back to the excuse of "oh LVG pulled the plug on the transfer"

"He wasn't on the list."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

there are times when you have to hold your hands up and say "yes he was a bad signing" like andy carroll at Liverpool who cut their losses and now at west ham who I would say if they could get 10m they would also cut their losses.

Fellaini is not and never will be a united standard player. yes you can say cleverly will never be either but he came through the youth system.

if united could get 15-20m for him they would sell without doubt. Fletcher seems to have got over his illness now and along with Herrera can form a good midfield partnership until they get carrick back and then until van gaal wants to make his move for Strootman in Jan if he does not get his targets this summer ie Vidal or whoever

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Sports journalism is becoming a bigger joke every year. I know there are some credible writers but the bulk of it is just silly rumours without any real sources. Any of us could just write the stuff. All they do is put a title that will attract views.

To be fair it's been like that for some time. Sure you only have to look at the "theory" and "thought provoking" pieces written, to see how truly woeful and misguided, and poorly informed so many journalists are on the game of football.

I actually can't think of ONE journalist who I would read and think "that guy knows his ****", more often then not it's such a blatant poor view on the game, which is shocking considering the amount of time they spend watching football, and even SPEAKING with footballers and managers.

You only need to read MEdiawatch every day on F365 to see the utter tripe written by what's considered " top journalists" in the UK. Ireland isn't much better, I used to read the likes of Dion Fanning etc, but then copped to that fact people like him had inflated, woefully misguided egos on football, and where just total rubbish.

Wait till your doing night feeds, constantly looking at boards and hoping for some updates while trying to balance a phone in one hand, a bottle in the other and a baby in your lap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

To be fair it's been like that for some time. Sure you only have to look at the "theory" and "thought provoking" pieces written, to see how truly woeful and misguided, and poorly informed so many journalists are on the game of football.

I actually can't think of ONE journalist who I would read and think "that guy knows his ****", more often then not it's such a blatant poor view on the game, which is shocking considering the amount of time they spend watching football, and even SPEAKING with footballers and managers.

You only need to read MEdiawatch every day on F365 to see the utter tripe written by what's considered " top journalists" in the UK. Ireland isn't much better, I used to read the likes of Dion Fanning etc, but then copped to that fact people like him had inflated, woefully misguided egos on football, and where just total rubbish.

Last season I started recording/watching the Sunday Supplement regularly, it gives you some insight into how low grade the stuff is, some of the guys who are portrayed as credible journos come across as just plain unintelligent.

Christ it would be great if we were like other clubs and could just get on with making the signings they need.

Even Everton seem to have broken their golden rule of waiting until transfer day to sign Lukaku – ok they know the guy and there may have been very little negotiating to be done but he still represents a £29M club record transfer that they just got on with even though there were (seemingly) others interested. Some kudos to Chelsea here too who seem to be able to just get things done.

The news this morning on the Glazers share sale throws light on what Woodword has actually been leaving tours etc to work on. As CEO he would have been knee deep in the prospectus preparation so doubt there is very little (if any) transfer negotiations going on. Conversely the issuing of the prospectus might mean he is now free to do some football business and things might get moving at long last. Still think we’ve left it too long – the best deals are almost always tied up in early summer but we shall see.

In the immortal words of Katherine Hiegl in Knocked Up – “Just do it already!!”

bangkok wrote: »
    Fletcher seems to have got over his illness now

And why exactly do you say this? After his return last season Fletcher spent more time missing than available, he still has not played a run of games to the best of my knowledge.

Fletcher is done, relying on him to be available would be a terrible decision.

And why exactly do you say this? After his return last season Fletcher spent more time missing than available, he still has not played a run of games to the best of my knowledge.

Fletcher is done, relying on him to be available would be a terrible decision.

Have to agree – unfortunately I doubt Flethcher will ever play fully at this level again. United are commendable in how they’ve stuck by him (one wonders would he have been given the same amount of support if he wasn’t Scottish) and I don’t think he’ll be sold, rather they’ll run down his contract and give him a job elsewhere in the club but he’s not going to be able to play 25+ PL games this season.

He’s not the answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Hococop wrote: »

the majority of the Uk media are saying United are not interested in Vidal according to the club so they have no excuses to make - all these stories are coming from Italian and Chile press or more to the point, Vidals camp.

of course its possible that all sources within the club are being briefed to put the "we are not interested" message out there thus the journalist have nothing to go on.

ericzeking wrote: »
    Last season I started recording/watching the Sunday Supplement regularly, it gives you some insight into how low grade the stuff is, some of the guys who are portrayed as credible journos come across as just plain unintelligent.

I've been watching it for years at this stage. Every so often you can see a new guy who does know his stuff, but get's crowded out by the old guard who because they saw something happen in the 1976 cup final, makes them football messiahs.

If anything I watch it mostly to criticise their views and appreciate how nonsense the written sports media is in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

the majority of the Uk media are saying United are not interested in Vidal according to the club so they have no excuses to make - all these stories are coming from Italian and Chile press or more to the point, Vidals camp.

of course its possible that all sources within the club are being briefed to put the "we are not interested" message out there thus the journalist have nothing to go on.

Ogden stated a day or two ago that they have been told consistently that Utd have not bid for Vidal but there is alot of noises from Italy and Chile so he does accept there may be some truth in it.

I do believe we have not bid yet and the talk has been with Vidal's agent who may or may not have knowledge of any incoming bid but it will depend on Vidal himself instigating a move from Juventus. Until that happens there will be no official bid made imo.

I'm not a doctor but my understanding is that Fletcher will never 'get over' his illness and be cured, he is merely managing it, which he an the medical staff are getting better at all the time. There was actually a guy on the Last Word last night talking about this type of illness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Interesting point below
    What astounds me is that people can't see it. Our squad is in bits and people are happy to believe that it will all be hunky dory.

Does anyone actually think it will all be hunky dory if Van Gaal doesn't add to the squad?

Club were very clear in January that Mata was not a target, told the Manchester based journos (Ducker, Taylor et al) that they should ignore all rumours as we had no interest.

Ogden was saying the night before Herrera signed that the club told him we had no interest and he'd be shocked if the stories were true.

ericzeking wrote: »
    I'm not a doctor but my understanding is that Fletcher will never 'get over' his illness and be cured, he is merely managing it, which he an the medical staff are getting better at all the time. There was actually a guy on the Last Word last night talking about this type of illness.

It's a very tricky illness, he can go for a while without any issue and then out of no where he could get what they call a flare up. Can be very hard to maintain any level of fitness, keeping muscle mass and your weight up is a major problem. Also fatigue can be a major factor.

It's a miracle he's managed to get as far back as he has, some people can get lucky and keep it under control but as a professional athlete it must be near impossible.

What astounds me is that people are getting so hot and bothered about whether or not we sign Arturo focking Vidal or another central midfielder when we don't have enough defenders in the squad numbers wise to cover a Sunday league season not to mind the Premier League, that's what I find astounding.

Since I reckon we will pick up the required numbers somewhere between here and the beginning of the season and I trust LVG to do it, I'm not overly concerned. A back 3 of Smalling, Jones and Evans flanked by Raf/Val and Shaw is good enough to compete at the top end of the table, if we get injuries we are rightly fooked though.

BTW, I now think we won't sign any more central midfielders until Strootman becomes available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Club were very clear in January that Mata was not a target, told the Manchester based journos (Ducker, Taylor et al) that they should ignore all rumours as we had no interest.

Ogden was saying the night before Herrera signed that the club told him we had no interest and he'd be shocked if the stories were true.

When the Shaw deal was getting done, United said nothing too. It was leaked from the Southampton side.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »

I do believe we have not bid yet and the talk has been with Vidal's agent who may or may not have knowledge of any incoming bid but it will depend on Vidal himself instigating a move from Juventus. Until that happens there will be no official bid made imo.

IMO, you could swap Vidals name in for Fabregas - we are repeating the exact same saga as last summer, just with a new target.

IMO:

1. We have agreed a contract, in principle, with Vidal and his agent.
    2. Juve will sell at a fee that looks like their hand will be forced.
    3. United are unwilling to pay what is required to buy him.

I believe the EXACT same thing happened with Fabregas last summer. I am hoping for a better outcome for United this time around, but i'm not getting my hopes up anymore, I don't trust United or Woodward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement