Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Eh, I'm getting texts saying that Vidal is done at £47m?

Ignore. All the tealk today is stemming from a caughtoffside article, which BBC Sport gave credence to under their gossip column last night (it's all their fault)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Oh come on

Ignoring for now how little a pre-season tour means to anything Fletcher has frequently been unavailable in the last nine months. Have you forgotten what I think was the Fulham game where we had to move Rooney back into midfield while Fletcher sat on the bench? More than that, we haD no midfield last season yet in the second half of the season Fletcher was never a first choice player, now why was that?

And getting back to his best? Even when he did play he was rarely anything more than adequate. Lets be realistic about the lad here.

Ok then, if we're going to address each other like we are complete morons:

Are you seriously be trying to use David Moyes' team selection whilst he was MUFC manager, as backup for your point? Now why would you think he may not be held up as a bastion for solid, logical managerial decisions?
    You would think so, wouldn't you. But this is the Moyes regime, so it will probably be Valencia and Cleverley again.
    Said it before, I really do wonder what is going through Moyes head when picking the team?

As I said originally, we'll see at the end of the season. I think he'll be a solid contributor this season, barring injury (unrelated to his illness).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

v3ttel wrote: »
    Ok then, if we're going to address each other like we are complete morons:

Are you seriously be trying to use David Moyes' team selection whilst he was MUFC manager, as backup for your point? Now why would you think he may not be held up as a bastion for solid, logical managerial decisions?

As I said originally, we'll see at the end of the season. I think he'll be a solid contributor this season, barring injury (unrelated to his illness).

Thats a pathetic response to what was a very clear point.

If Fletcher was fit he would have played last season, David Moyes or no David Moyes, and you cherry picking posts out of context doesn't change that one iota.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Talk/rumour that Vertonghen could be moving to Barcelona, wouldn't mind getting him for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Scholes has been talking about the squad unbalance but crucially he put herrera as part of that unbalance, saying that he is more of a number 10, than a center mid.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

also mentioned the injury problems of the defenders and seems to say it was a mistake to get rid of so many defenders which is adding pressure to the likes of Shaw now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

RobertKK wrote: »
    Talk/rumour that Vertonghen could be moving to Barcelona, wouldn't mind getting him for United.

He said though that he's happy at Spurs and they've offered him a new five year deal.

Another happy player seems to be Cavani all of a sudden who wants to stay at PSG.

And another Juve director of some such, Beppe Marotta, has said Vidal will be staying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Scholes has been talking about the squad unbalance but crucially he put herrera as part of that unbalance, saying that he is more of a number 10, than a center mid.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

also mentioned the injury problems of the defenders and seems to say it was a mistake to get rid of so many defenders which is adding pressure to the likes of Shaw now.

he also said losing Evra was a massive loss, both on the field and in the dressing room I would have to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good news for David Moyes.
    is no longer being investigated by the police after an alleged scuffle in a Lancashire bar in May.Moyes was reportedly spoken to after Mr. Josh Gillibrand, a 23-year-old builder, claimed he was assaulted at the Emporium wine bar in Clitheroe.
    The 51-year-old's account was corroborated by witnesses, however, who said the former Everton manager was verbally abused by a group of young adults upon entering the popular bar.
    A spokesman for the force said: "After careful consideration of all the circumstances in this case it has been decided that no further action will be taken against anyone."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-united-transfer-news-arturo-vidal-set-to-force-through-move-to-louis-van-gaals-red-devils--reports-9639426.html

The rest of that article is about Vidal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

TheDoc wrote: »
    To be fair it's been like that for some time. Sure you only have to look at the "theory" and "thought provoking" pieces written, to see how truly woeful and misguided, and poorly informed so many journalists are on the game of football.

I actually can't think of ONE journalist who I would read and think "that guy knows his ****", more often then not it's such a blatant poor view on the game, which is shocking considering the amount of time they spend watching football, and even SPEAKING with footballers and managers.

You only need to read MEdiawatch every day on F365 to see the utter tripe written by what's considered " top journalists" in the UK. Ireland isn't much better, I used to read the likes of Dion Fanning etc, but then copped to that fact people like him had inflated, woefully misguided egos on football, and where just total rubbish.

Subscribe to a quarterly journal called the blizzard, some great pieces in there. Good journalism is not dead, great sports writing in general is having a bit of a renaisance its just the mainstream more so than ever has to pander to the lowest common denominator to get attention-clicks-ad revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭weisses

This is the sort of wishy washy crap that winds me up.

Don't let it upset you to much .. Its only a forum on the Internet you know.
    The Dutch squad did well at the world cup, fair play to them, means **** all to this United squad in the Premier league.

What was the big difference between Man U winning the last title and previous season with regards to the Squad
    Balance in the squad? What, the balance of having no defenders and rubbish midfielders?

Same was said about the dutch squad, Poor defenders with no International experience, crap midfield with players who got relegated.
    All the mental fitness in the world ain't fixing that problem.

That's where the physical fitness comes in combined with mental strenght makes for a good mix.

LvG is a big fan of the "whole person" approach, no player is bigger then the team

What are you on about?

Shares are being sold?

Person x sells to person y at current price.

Person y is entitled to dividends or sell to person z at another price making a profit.

What are you on about?

Firstly can I just ask why the agressive response, do you respond to people like this in real life? Then why on here?

Let me explain my point. Relative to our peers, Real, Barca etc we have spent a much smaller percentage of our revenue on talent acquisition. Lower costs vrs revenue equals more profit in most instances therefore share values rise. Glazers make a killing. Not direct but in my book its still milking the club. A club they bought with debt, putting the institution at risk not their own wealth. Utd fund a grand lifestyle for speculator parasites.

Just my opinion, not trying to convince anyone, you may very well argue the point that they are wonderful owners, im just not buying it.

I'm expecting my first child, which should have been here Friday past, but seems to be a little too comfy in there. It's a funny parallel. I come home from work, ask hows things, any movement, do we think it will be this evening or tonight.

Then I move to SSN, see how's things, any movement, and if anything will happen that night.

I can't help but feel I should blame Woodward for this delay. And the transfers too.

If he arrives on the day Vidal signs you can call him Arthuro!

I'm expecting my first child, which should have been here Friday past, but seems to be a little too comfy in there. It's a funny parallel. I come home from work, ask hows things, any movement, do we think it will be this evening or tonight.

Then I move to SSN, see how's things, any movement, and if anything will happen that night.

I can't help but feel I should blame Woodward for this delay. And the transfers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Firstly can I just ask why the agressive response, do you respond to people like this in real life? Then why on here?

Let me explain my point. Relative to our peers, Real, Barca etc we have spent a much smaller percentage of our revenue on talent acquisition. Lower costs vrs revenue equals more profit in most instances therefore share values rise. Glazers make a killing. Not direct but in my book its still milking the club. A club they bought with debt, putting the institution at risk not their own wealth. Utd fund a grand lifestyle for speculator parasites.

Just my opinion, not trying to convince anyone, you may very well argue the point that they are wonderful owners, im just not buying it.

In fairness it's no different to you or me owning shares in a company? would you not want to make money off an investment?

RobertKK wrote: »

apparently the judge dismissed the case because he said it wasnt possible that David Moyes went out and attacked anybody :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,409 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

apparently the judge dismissed the case because he said it wasnt possible that David Moyes went out and attacked anybody :pac:

BS, he was throwing crosses from every angle.

In fairness it's no different to you or me owning shares in a company? would you not want to make money off an investment?

We would have probably bought them with our money! We wouldnt have bought them with debt which we then lumped onto the balance sheet of the company we invested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

He also calls Cleverley a #10. Scholes is doing an awful lot of talking, and a lot of it is crap tbh. For someone who was so quiet when he was a player, it's suprising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Macca07 wrote: »
    He also calls Cleverley a #10. Scholes is doing an awful lot of talking, and a lot of it is crap tbh. For someone who was so quiet when he was a player, it's suprising.

Maybe Cleverley is a better #10 tho ? He'd surely know.
    Cleverley certainly isnt a deep holding midfielder.
    When he first came on the scene he played higher up and was more effective. I remember him and wellbeck used to link up quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Maybe Cleverley is a better #10 tho ? He'd surely know.
    Cleverley certainly isnt a deep holding midfielder.
    When he first came on the scene he played higher up and was more effective. I remember him and wellbeck used to link up quite well.

He might be a better #10, but that doesn't make him a #10. God help us all if Cleverley is ever playing that role for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

We would have probably bought them with our money! We wouldnt have bought them with debt which we then lumped onto the balance sheet of the company we invested in.

polls_hit_nail_on_head_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

The Glaziers bought the shares using the club as leverage. The share sale might look like they are not taking money from the club but they are taking it indirectly as the club has already paid for the shares through the loan taken out and the interest repayments.

The debt situation isn't near as bad as it was with all the new deals but still has the potential to go bad if CL football is missed out on again. Someone posted an article a few posts ago on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Subscribe to a quarterly journal called the blizzard, some great pieces in there. Good journalism is not dead, great sports writing in general is having a bit of a renaisance its just the mainstream more so than ever has to pander to the lowest common denominator to get attention-clicks-ad revenue.

Grantland is one of the best sites on the internet for sports writing imo. Nice mix of articles that are usually well researched, well argued and often has a great sense of humour mixed in from a core group of writers. Granted, I only ever read the NFL, CFB and Pop Culture articles, but there's occasionally soccer ones up there (but nowhere near enough for this forum's thirst).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The team was at the White House today.

_76649715_afc7388b-e036-4795-b067-f511a1d188d8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The team was at the White House today.

_76649715_afc7388b-e036-4795-b067-f511a1d188d8.jpg

A rare smile from Tony V,thats the LVG effect :)

RE: Vidal - Hold on to your hats boys, this one's gonna' drag on longer.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Serie-A/Juventus/31-07-2014/juventus-vidal-manchester-united-continua-offensiva-901387939.shtml

(Translated by the Chrome browser)
    Remember, it only remains. The future of Juventus midfielder Arturo Vidal seems increasingly uncertain. A few days ago a. D. Marotta had hampered any possible transfer ( "Vidal is with us" ), but apparently fans can not put your heart at peace. As reported by the British press the Chilean in the coming hours will tell the Juventus management, through its agent Fernando Felicevich, his desire to marry at Manchester United. Apparently that attracted him were 200 thousand pounds a week offered by the English club.

SITES ENGLISH - Other Voices, always from England, go beyond and are already talking of agreement, reached at a figure that is about 60 million Euros. Louis Van Gaal would have asked his company to accelerate to the player considered a key piece of his new project. Manchester, which this year will not play the Cup, would have offered a four-year by nearly 13 million per season.

So we've gone from signing Vidal, to not signing Vidal, to Vidal not leaving Juve, to Vidal not leaving Juve but actually he is, to a deal being done, to no deal being done, to a verbal agreement, to Vidal going to tell Juve he wants to leave in the next few hours.

He might be a better #10, but that doesn't make him a #10. God help us all if Cleverley is ever playing that role for United.

UTD have about 4/5 players that can fit into #10 role. Thats the imbalance theyre refering to. Each position isnt covered the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Remember, it only remains. The future of Juventus midfielder Arturo Vidal seems increasingly uncertain. A few days ago a. D. Marotta had hampered any possible transfer ( "Vidal is with us" ), but apparently fans can not put your heart at peace. As reported by the British press the Chilean in the coming hours will tell the Juventus management, through its agent Fernando Felicevich, his desire to marry at Manchester United. Apparently that attracted him were 200 thousand pounds a week offered by the English club.

SITES ENGLISH - Other Voices, always from England, go beyond and are already talking of agreement, reached at a figure that is about 60 million Euros. Louis Van Gaal would have asked his company to accelerate to the player considered a key piece of his new project. Manchester, which this year will not play the Cup, would have offered a four-year by nearly 13 million per season.

Are they referring to the BBC referring to their article as their source for this? :pac:

Silly season indeed.

Are they referring to the BBC referring to their article as their source for this? :pac:

Silly season indeed.

It's an infinite loop of Vidal transfer speculation!

This has Thiago/Snjeider written all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

All this transfer talk

tve33720-00000304-897.gif

'Ted - I'm going mad'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Just ignore everything written about Vidal until you see him holding a United jersey.

Stress-free.

practically everything scholes is saying is bang on, so i am not sure how you can call it crap.

i do find it strange however that be believes Herrera is a number 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,662 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

RE: Vidal - Hold on to your hats boys, this one's gonna' drag on longer.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Serie-A/Juventus/31-07-2014/juventus-vidal-manchester-united-continua-offensiva-901387939.shtml

(Translated by the Chrome browser)

So we've gone from signing Vidal, to not signing Vidal, to Vidal not leaving Juve, to Vidal not leaving Juve but actually he is, to a deal being done, to no deal being done, to a verbal agreement, to Vidal going to tell Juve he wants to leave in the next few hours.

I would let him Marry me if it ment he would be a utd player. Id take one for the team

practically everything scholes is saying is bang on, so i am not sure how you can call it crap.

Glad someone else agrees with me. Scholes is as straight as they come it seems.
    He will be a joy to watch as a pundit on BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

ARTHURsday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The two women Ravel has allegedly assaulted are his ex-girlfriend and her mother.

We did well to ship him out when we did, he's a ticking time bomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Ok now I don't normally go on Twitter updates but BetVictor have posted this 30 minutes ago:

https://twitter.com/BetVictor/status/494819891745415168
    Bet Victor wrote:
    BREAKING NEWS: Arturo Vidal has passed a medical with Manchester United. #MUFC
    Bet Victor wrote:
    We got the #ArturoVidal tip from @TransferSources who is a trustworthy source.
    Bet Victor wrote:
    Please note transfer betting on #ArturoVidal was suspended before news of his alleged passing of medical for #MUFC

EDIT: And now a verified, Live Football account with 250K followers has too - https://twitter.com/livefootball
    BREAKING NEWS: Arturo Vidal has passed a medical at Manchester United! #MUFC

https://twitter.com/livefootball/status/494829192325120000

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

TransferSources trustworthy :pac:

• Advertisement

DAMN YOU ADVERTSFOX.

I'm running out of skeptical gifs...

no-answer.gif

advertsfox wrote: »
    EDIT: And now a verified, Live Football account with 250K followers has too - https://twitter.com/livefootball

Verified for what though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Verified for what though?

Their website is footballtips.com. Safe to say they have no more insight than any of the rest of us I think.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Their website is footballtips.com. Safe to say they have no more insight than any of the rest of us I think.

That's what i thought!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Twitter follower numbers mean absolutely nothing.

The guy RTs indykalia ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

DAMN YOU ADVERTSFOX.

I'm running out of skeptical gifs...

no-answer.gif
    Buffy-The-Vampire-Slayer-Is-Skeptical-Gif.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Did Herrera not play primarily as a No. 10 for Bilbao last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I can't think of any way that Bet Victor could benefit from propagating false transfer news. That's me convinced.

I can't think of any way that Bet Victor could benefit from propagating false transfer news. That's me convinced.

Quite excellent sarcasm there, wp.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Did Herrera not play primarily as a No. 10 for Bilbao last year?

From what I've read, that was only last season. Before that he was always a midfielder.

Using that line of thought, go lump on him to stay and cash in! :cool::pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement