Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Vidal O'Connor, has a ring to it in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

TheDoc wrote: »

:rolleyes:

...it's Arturo O'Connor.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

...it's Arturo O'Connor.

Nah figure we will go with the surname to really hit home the point of the name.

Or maybe I'll name it Alot, to piss you off ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Using that line of thought, go lump on him to stay and cash in! :cool::pac:

If I had an account with a bookie who had a market for him to be at Juve at the end of the window, I'd put something on it without hesitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

im trying not to get sucked into the Vidal as based on previous years 9 times out of 10 we are let down when it comes to big deals like this.

but it is hard reading this thread, some people are like children on christmas morning and its hard to ignore. cautiously optimistic is how'd is sum it up.

latest from the italian press is that he is after a payrise to stay with Juve, but they dont have the funds to match it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

like I said earlier a chile newspaper reported that utd did a medical on vidal in chile..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Not believing a word of it, not one.

sheldonnervous.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Even if Vidal signs, which Im very skeptical about, theres still more work that needs to be addressed before we are winning the league again. And thats IF we sign Vidal and IF he adapts well to life in the EPL.

bangkok wrote: »
    like I said earlier a chile newspaper reported that utd did a medical on vidal in chile..

yeah-ok.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Hasn't he only signed an increased wage contract last December? Unless a buy out clause was included I don't see how he can have any leeway to demand more money or even 'hand in a transfer' as the club would have hi pretty much nailed down for the next 4/5 seasons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Its not happening

hurley-la-la-la.gif

Hasn't he only signed an increased wage contract last December? Unless a buy out clause was included I don't see how he can have any leeway to demand more money or even 'hand in a transfer' as the club would have hi pretty much nailed down for the next 4/5 seasons?

Well in fairness, "Let me go or I'll draw a salary and not bother me arse on the pitch for the next 4 years" would probably be pretty good leverage.

Contracts aren't worth much when a player says "I want to move" tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Classic Bangkok.

Anything else?

Classic Bangkok.

Anything else?

what?

wasn't it a chile paper that broke the news of sanchez going to arsenal as well..

Guess Fergie was right about the lad, shame really. Wasted talent

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/31/ravel-morrison-accused-assault-west-ham

Excellent use of gifs ladies and germs, well played.

you can currently get odds on vidal staying at Juventus at 11/5 so anyone who is convinced he wont be leaving put your money where your mouth is

you can currently get odds on vidal staying at Juventus at 11/5 so anyone who is convinced he wont be leaving put your money where your mouth is

Would do if Bet365 had that offer up :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,662 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

TheDoc wrote: »

Another recommendation.

What about naming him after your hero. Headshot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I'm naming all my children Robin Van Persie

Well in fairness, "Let me go or I'll draw a salary and not bother me arse on the pitch for the next 4 years" would probably be pretty good leverage.
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    Contracts aren't worth much when a player says "I want to move" tbh.

I hear you both but isn't there an unspoken agreement amongst clubs not to facilitate players/agents in these cases. Maybe I live in a dreamworld then?

TBH, I would him to sign but as the days go by I feel more and more like that’s it, the spending is over and the usual issues are still there. Woodward annoyed me last week with that interview. Unless he knew something was in the works then he should have kept his mouth shut.

At this stage he knows every word he or LVG says is scrutinised and scrutinised again. Journalists are making careers out of their every word as they have papers to sell and columns to write. It's the reason why United are linked with so many players, our fan base is huge and speculation sites will get a huge amount of 'clicks' once they publish staff, regardless of how bad the information.

Headshot wrote: »
    Another recommendation.

What about naming him after your hero. Headshot?

hahahahah

There is a certain coincidence there being how much I was involved in counter strike in the early 00's :)

Anyway less talk about my unborn child, there is more important stuff going on here!

PRIORITIES PEOPLE

*Unless I groom my child early on to be a CM

Mine will be named after the three musketeers.

Ander, Dave and Juan.

My wife and I are also expecting our first child soon Doc, but your more than welcome to use the name Arturo :)

Mostly because we are expecting a girl though :P

• Advertisement

I hear you both but isn't there an unspoken agreement amongst clubs not to facilitate players/agents in these cases. Maybe I live in a dreamworld then?

TBH, I would him to sign but as the days go by I feel more and more like that’s it, the spending is over and the usual issues are still there. Woodward annoyed me last week with that interview. Unless he knew something was in the works then he should have kept his mouth shut.

At this stage he knows every word he or LVG says is scrutinised and scrutinised again. Journalists are making careers out of their every word as they have papers to sell and columns to write. It's the reason why United are linked with so many players, our fan base is huge and speculation sites will get a huge amount of 'clicks' once they publish staff, regardless of how bad the information.

I'm totally with you, I think all of the Vidal to United rumours for the last month have been horse turds of the highest order. I just also think that if there were any truth to it his contract status wouldn't be a barrier.

Maybe there is an unspoken agreement, but if you're facing down £47 million plus wage savings for a player who doesn't want to play for you anymore, that's probably going to go out the nearest window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

The way I see the Vidal situation is, if the stories have a real source then it has to be from Vidal's camp, be it his agent or someone close to his agent etc.

Now my logic would be if there are serious discussion being had between Utd, Vidal and Juve, why would Vidal's people risk jeopardizing a deal by being so vocal to the press or specifically El Mercurio.

It reeks of a scenario where Vidal's people are using Utd's interest as leverage in discussions with Juve rather than there being any real talk about a deal. Obviously Vidal only signed a 1 year extension in December but the football world is a chaotic place and its quite possible they want another bump in wages now.

Juve may decide to call their bluff, not offer improved terms and Vidal will still stay at Juve because Utd's interest isn't serious enough or advanced enough to make a deal happen.

A lot of speculation there but for me it stems from the theory that if Utd's interest was serious and advanced discussions were done with the player then Vidal's people would be focusing on getting a deal done with Juve and feeding information to the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

sickening :(

Bt4Cw9bIcAAdXSc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Delighted to see the back of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Entertaining character, great going forward, even better at not tracking back.

• Advertisement

sickening :(

Bt4Cw9bIcAAdXSc.jpg

yes will be missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Pro. F wrote: »
    Delighted to see the back of him.

Lost all respect for him when he gave an interview talking about how the players needed to show more and some were not putting in the effort. Then he goes out that day and strolls around as usual not tracking back.

Fantastic servant but i am glad he has gone.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Lost all respect for him when he gave an interview talking about how the players needed to show more and some were not putting in the effort. Then he goes out that day and strolls around as usual not tracking back.

Fantastic servant but i am glad he has gone.

ah stop and he might have been talking about effort in training and on matchdays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Translation of La Tercera's Story on Vidal
    Jonas Giæver ‏@CheGiaevara 9m

La Tercera claim that Vidal's agent Fernando Felicevich and Juve director Giuseppe Marotta met y'day. Presented Juve with Utd's $80m offer.
    Jonas Giæver ‏@CheGiaevara 9m

La Tercera claim that Manchester United and Arturo Vidal have already agreed on a weekly alary of $340k-a-week.
    Jonas Giæver ‏@CheGiaevara 8m

La Tercera claim that van Gaal is urging Ed Woodward to close the deal quickly because PSG have registered their interest the past few days.
    Jonas Giæver ‏@CheGiaevara 6m

La Tercera (they are quoting the English press on this) claim that Manchester United have reserved the number 7 shirt for Arturo Vidal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

It's gas that the sceptics are still claiming that there's not a shred of truth to the Vidal story.

He's signing...it's happening.

At what point will people accept that betting being suspended, Vidal being 11/5 to stay at Juve and the Twitter/Chilean media/Italian media stories all point to one thing.

The signing that we have needed for years is about to happen.

Translation of La Tercera's Story on Vidal

Hes not a number 7. Not that Michael Owen was but it should not go to him.

That being said its just a number in the end I guess

It's gas that the sceptics are still claiming that there's not a shred of truth to the Vidal story.

At what point will people accept that betting being suspended, Vidal being 11/5 to stay at Juve and the Twitter/Chilean media/Italian media stories all point to one thing.

Ill believe it when I see it. And I dont think Ill see it. Betting means nothing

And its only 1 signing, we need more.

Im not saying he wont be a good signing or even a great signing... but hes not teh second coming of Ronaldo or Eric. Calm down people

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ill believe it when I see it. And I dont think Ill see it. Betting means nothing

And its only 1 signing, we need more.

11/5 to stay at Juve is easy money so :)

I would love to know how many times bookies have suspended betting on a player to join a club and that player didn't move. Genuinely curious.

This your first transfer window?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

11/5 to stay at Juve is easy money so :)

He said that betting means nothing, not that we have evidence that Vidal is staying at Juve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Bt4IltmIgAAk2Zr.png Stolen from the caf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

As was pointed out to you yesterday all this also happened with Sneijder and Thiago. I'm still waiting to see either in a Utd jersey.

One paper reporting that another paper says United are still going after him. I wont believe it til hes holding a United shirt or wearing one

As was pointed out to you yesterday all this also happened with Sneijder and Thiago. I'm still waiting to see either in a Utd jersey.

And Toni Kroos to some extent ;)

Oh, and Cavani! He's been joining United since before Moyes at this stage.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    One paper reporting that another paper says United are still going after him. I wont believe it til hes holding a United shirt or wearing one

http://gfx.dagbladet.no/pub/artikkel/5/52/526/526698/_V1O9919X1X_1202818989_1202819006.jpg

john obi mikel says hello :p

No offence to your post is meant by this but I have closely watched the transfer dealings over the last half dozen summers and every year I have a doe eyed feeling that 'this is the summer our midfield issues are addressed'. and every year I get disappointed.

Last Summer was the worst, our brand new manager identified the issue within days of arriving and expressed this opinion to the press. Then we had a Summer of rumors and odds being slashed and what not and eventually what happened? 20 mins to go before the end of the window a bid was placed in a panic for a player we could have signed weeks before for £4M less.

So for now, I will wait till I see the news from a more credible source other than some kid in a bedroom with a twitter account. :D

I would love to know how many times bookies have suspended betting on a player to join a club and that player didn't move. Genuinely curious.

Happens frequently enough oddly enough.

It's actually a "thing" where syndicates or groups of people will purposefully collapse a market, in order to inflate odds the other way, to lump on and make a profit.

There was a well documented case I believe where someone manipulated the markets to make it look like Ribery was moving to Liverpool, and when they cut the odds down to shockingly low they then lumped onto him staying which had shot up, making a killing.

You rarely see it though happen with high profile players, but it regularly happens outside of the top leagues, where you can get markets with independant bookies or even some of the franchise ones.

I do think Bet Victor suspending a market is a serious enough claim to make. I'm not sure of a potential alterior motive, but them suspending a market like this would only be done after analysis that indicates they stand to lose money on payouts against money taken in should he stay.

• Advertisement

No real evidence of a star midfielder joining Man United --- check

Betting odds suggest star player is on his way ---- check

People buying in to transfer rumours ---- check

Is this 2013????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement