Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

That's not to say i think Liverpool are in for him. I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Leeds Utd have a fairly good history as well , wonder if Vidal would be interested in playing for them...

Ridiculous statement. Seriously....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Manchester United's world record £750m kit deal with Adidas will be cut by 30% if they fail to qualify for the Champions League in consecutive seasons from 2015-16.

The German sportswear giant could also cancel the contract if the club get relegated from the Premier League.
    United failed to qualify for any of the European competitions this season after finishing seventh in 2013-14.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28581355

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Larry just wants Adox to be so happy we signed Vidal that he doesn't enforce it! :pac: :p

Eh, if Vidal signs, adox is gone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Eh, if Vidal signs, adox is gone...

Dag nabbit - right - home time for me!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think it's absolute madness to doubt that Liverpool couldn't challenge us for Vidal. Immense history, superb manager, excellent season last year where they hammered most teams by several goals.

I said previously that I can't see Vidal signing for the likes of City, PSG or Chelsea, but could see Liverpool as a bonefide option.

*Faints.

Looks at posters user name, I know what your game is mate! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

adox wrote: »
    I`ll have a bet with you.

If he signs this window I wont post on the soccer forum for a month, from the day he signs. If he doesnt sign you dont post on it for a month after the window closes.

That photography lark will keep you well occupied for the month Adrian...............::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I was going to announce a bet with someone here before the Wc kicked off, that if Toni Kroos didn't sign for us, I'd spend 3 months making posts no more then 2 paragraphs.

Absolutely blessed he got permabanned

TheDoc wrote: »
    I was going to announce a bet with someone here before the Wc kicked off, that if Toni Kroos didn't sign for us, I'd spend 3 months making posts no more then 2 paragraphs.

He says... with two paragraphs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

practically everything scholes is saying is bang on, so i am not sure how you can call it crap.

i do find it strange however that be believes Herrera is a number 10.

Because, like I said yesterday, he has played the last season and a half at least primarily as a number 10. When Moyes was watching him last season he was playing as a number 10.

He was bought to be converted into a CM but I doubt that can be done in two weeks no matter if the manager is LVG or not.

Also the idea of Liverpool getting Vidal is ridiculous, history from 20 years ago means very little in the here and now, Juve have more a chance of getting CL than Liverpool so why would he take the step down, unless Liverpool are willing to double his wages but then other clubs could easily triple them for arguably the best midfielder in the world. If he ended up going to Liverpool you'd be questioning either what the hell Woodward is at or why LVG doesn't want him.

I don't think that's being unfair to Pool, one good season doesn't get you the top class players, if they get CL football again I think they could buy players in the top bracket, which is why we need to make sure we get it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

secman wrote: »
    That photography lark will keep you well occupied

Just a heads up there, I'd suggest not using anyone's first name or surname here to be honest. I've heard some really sinister and f*cked up sh*t over the last week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Because, like I said yesterday, he has played the last season and a half at least primarily as a number 10. When Moyes was watching him last season he was playing as a number 10.

He was bought to be converted into a CM but I doubt that can be done in two weeks no matter if the manager is LVG or not.

According to Graham Hunter he's played central midfield his whole career up to the second half of last season, when he was moved forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

According to Graham Hunter he's played central midfield his whole career up to the second half of last season, when he was moved forward.

I don't know about his whole career but he played there almost all of last season

I'm nearly sure he played off Llorente in that game against us years ago too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I don't know about his whole career but he played there almost all of last season

Google Ander Herrera interview four four two and you will find it on reddit (it's an image of what was printed in the mag) and he talks about where he has played in mf and where he wants to play.

I am on phone so can't link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

He was a traditional CM for his whole career, until he was dropped at the start of last season because of the saga with us. Then he only got a chance because of injury at #10, and he played well so he stayed in the team. Also fairly sure Bilbao played a traditional 4-3-3 against us with Muniain and De Marcos flanking Llorente, Ander was in the middle with Susaeta and Javi Martinez.

He is not a #10, but he is good enough to play there. Like Fabregas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Today was made amazing by finding out There's a Spongebob Movie coming out next year. All that can top this is Vidal signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

lordgoat wrote: »
    Today was made amazing by finding out There's a Spongebob Movie coming out next year. All that can top this is Vidal signs.

Link me to a trailer or gtfo :eek::)

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Link me to a trailer or gtfo :eek::)

https://t.co/MSg8B72TQl

There you go!

And just to keep things football. Good second captains podcast from today on Van Gaal and the season ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

My daughter watches hours of Spongebob each week and like you cannot wait for it, personally I effing hate him a whole lot...... vidal on the other hand would be a perfect fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I agree to your terms, with the caveat that the winner can choose not to enforce the absence (i.e. Vidal signs and I can "let you back in").

Cool but we will be back in after a month either way so we don't need a caveat.

If you agree we can get a mod to remove the losers soccer access for a month.

Let's have a cyber shake on it and all pray to God that I'm outta here for a month. :D

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Cool but we will be back in after a month either way so we don't need a caveat.

If you agree we can get a mod to remove the losers soccer access for a month.

Let's have a cyber shake on it and all pray to God that I'm outta here for a month. :D

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Just going to see guardians of the galaxy hopefully Vidal will be signed by the time the film is over ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

TheDoc wrote: »

whadda ye mean

Bangkok is still here!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

dahat wrote: »
    My daughter watches hours of Spongebob each week and like you cannot wait for it, personally I effing hate him a whole lot...... vidal on the other hand would be a perfect fit.

Unfortunately Vidal wasn't signed up for the movie either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Fletcher gave an interview in the Sunday Times a while ago. He said that he had pioneering surgery & was cured. He also said that he was focusing on resuming his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

god its a slow news day when we're reducing to talking about spongebob square pants!!!

Are any of the following in it?
    Kate Upton
    Anna Kendrick
    Scarlett Johanssen
    Jenifer Lawrence
    Me

Surely sponge bobs 5 a side team could take us on ;)

If not I'm not going to see it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think it's absolute madness to doubt that Liverpool couldn't challenge us for Vidal. Immense history, superb manager, excellent season last year where they hammered most teams by several goals.

I said previously that I can't see Vidal signing for the likes of City, PSG or Chelsea, but could see Liverpool as a bonefide option.

I thought this was a continuation of the type of "we're not signing ____" jokes but now I'm conflicted on whether you're being serious or not.

*cursor hovers over "remove your thanks" button*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

So BBC digital text tells me earlier, that Juve accepted a £47 million bid from us for Vidal and he agreed terms. And for those few precious seconds, I thought it was Christmas morning.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

So what's the latest lads? Been away for a few days, is Vidal saga finished then? Would be very worried if we started the new season with the current squad, Vidal and blind would be amazing, vermalhan and no one else would be a disaster.

So BBC digital text tells me earlier, that Juve accepted a £47 million bid from us for Vidal and he agreed terms. And for those few precious seconds, I thought it was Christmas morning.:(

Believe.

Vidal's signing will be transformational.

He is the player we've needed for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He is the player Messiah we've needed for years.

Just fixed the typo there.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

I miss the good ole days of aertel 220 being the main source of transfer info. Only 10 pages for stories available so you avoided most of the speculation and BS stories. Quality not quantity! F*ck you twitter :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭davehey79

Just a heads up that the new united 3rd jersey is on sportsdirect.com now if anyone wants to use the code Perks20 against it for 20% off

So what's the latest lads? Been away for a few days, is Vidal saga finished then? Would be very worried if we started the new season with the current squad, Vidal and blind would be amazing, vermalhan and no one else would be a disaster.

Using your post to springboard into my own thoughts on the Vidal rumours.

We're well into silly season now with the Vidal saga.

What seems to keep it going though, apart from the muppet tweets stating that he is on the verge of signing, is that Vidal himself hasn't clarified his status. Surely with this much attention and speculation, a player needs to come out and state outright that he is staying with Club X, if it is the case that he is in fact staying with Club X.

The Juventus higher-ups haven't been helping to quell the fire these last few days either, with their comments regarding Vidal conveying a slight sense of uncertainty - "If Vidal Stays..." "We are confident he will remain" etc.

Of course this could be a media-led saga, as it is appearing to be, but I believe in this case there is no smoke without fire. The lack of a rebuttal from the player himself, as well as Juventus failing to come out and outright say "Arturo Vidal is definitely not for sale and we are sure that he will be a Juventus player for some time to come", has allowed the 'Will he/won't he saga to continue.

Personally, I've more or less detached from the situation and am taking it that he won't sign, I've been burned too many times before with Sneijder, Thiago and others. in that case, if he does sign, the feeling will be even better having accepted that he wasn't signing. Of course, by writing this post I'm putting myself back in there but this situation needs to be resolved a.s.a.p.

All the while, it is diverting our attention from the obvious - If not Vidal, then who? We are most certainly in need of a CM who can go straight into the starting 11. Tomorrow is August 1st, and the season starts in almost 2 weeks. Any incoming players will need time to catch-up with the training and thoughts LVG has been laying down for almost 2 weeks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

He played centre mid last season I watched most of d games and he also played centre mid when utd played them a few year ago

stankratz wrote: »
    All the while, it is diverting our attention from the obvious - If not Vidal, then who? We are most certainly in need of a CM who can go straight into the starting 11. Tomorrow is August 1st, and the season starts in almost 2 weeks. Any incoming players will need time to catch-up with the training and thoughts LVG has been laying down for almost 2 weeks now.

Khedira? Seems to be available. Would be a class signing imo.

Is a centre back going to be signed or is LVG happy with the younger players?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

New spongebob?? If Vidal is also signed soon this will be me.

RichFTW wrote: »
    I miss the good ole days of aertel 220 being the main source of transfer info. Only 10 pages for stories available so you avoided most of the speculation and BS stories. Quality not quantity! F*ck you twitter :pac:

For what it's worth I use twitter alot. And i don't see half the crap rumours on my timeline. Plenty of quality on twitter if people learn how to use it and much like reading the back of a tabloid, don't believe every word unless you trust who/where it's coming from.

Khedira? Seems to be available. Would be a class signing imo.

Is a centre back going to be signed or is LVG happy with the younger players?

I'd be happy for the club to take him, shame we missed out on that reported loan deal for him in the closing stages of last Summer's window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

For what it's worth I use twitter alot. And i don't see half the crap rumours on my timeline. Plenty of quality on twitter if people learn how to use it and much like reading the back of a tabloid, don't believe every word unless you trust who/where it's coming from.

Fair enough. I tried to get into it before but it just seems like a place for people to hurl abuse at celebrities while using a hashtag. The twitter rumours brought up in here don't help change my opinion on it either.

Who are the decent ones to follow?

Believe.

Vidal's signing will be transformational.

He is the player we've needed for years.

IF he signs please close your account and reregister as Larry the Messiah or The Prophet Larry.

http://app.caughtoffside.com/?referrer=#article/caughtoffside-346354

Vidal's actually been spotted at Carrington...still people think that this isn't happening.

Wesley Sneijder has a lot to answer for...

With Arturo, we will win the title.

RichFTW wrote: »

Who are the decent ones to follow?

That's the question. Different for everyone. I think I unfollowed the official account as it really annoys me. I use it generally for soccer and music.

I'd start with people you actually know like friends - well the ones you want to listen to. Then go to the newspapers you trust and the journos there you want to hear from.

Then make lists and off you go.

@lordgoat/football2 is my list of all things football. There are alot of foreign journos on there so be warned. It needs a bit of a prune but it works for me. And as ever if you see a random RT don't bite straight away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

http://app.caughtoffside.com/?referrer=#article/caughtoffside-346354

Vidal's actually been spotted at Carrington...still people think that this isn't happening.

Wesley Sneijder has a lot to answer for...

With Arturo, we will win the title.

Have you seen the picture.....

The market in the US is now closed so expect the Vidal deal to be announced before Wall Street reopens tomorrow.

Arthurs Day!

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Have you seen the picture.....

Yes.

It is Arturo Vidal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yes.

It is Arturo Vidal.

That's debatable. Who in this day and age has a camera that sh*t :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I think you need to take a step back and close the browser for a while :pac: he posted a pic of himself and 2 juve players bout 15 mins ago saying finished training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So who do you follow then? Edwood,romanabram and johnhenry65?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I can't see why you guys are fussing so much. Clearly Vidal is another Sneijder. We will sign a centre back or two and that will be it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement