Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

RichFTW wrote: »
    Maybe he has other deals lined up so? I think he does and that they are mostly Dutch players. They did just finish 3rd in the world cup and LVG knows them well.

LB & CM could be covered by signing Blind. CB by signing De Vrij. Two signings for a manager who just coached them at the world cup would be a realistic possibility in my view.

As a CEO, Woodward would be hurting after last year and would have been planning every possible way to rectify the situation since then. Any top level business man would be and that is what he is.

Fair enough. I'm not stating "WE ARE NOT SIGNING ANYONE EVER AGAIN!". I'm just concerned that leaving it late to do transfers can be a major risk. If they hit a snag, you miss the window, or the price goes sky high if it enter the last couple of days of the window.

As for Blind, if we're in for him, surely the bid would be made by now. LVG knows the lad very well, and doesnt need to scout or anything. Blind came out the other day and said he wants his future sorted this week, or he'll remain at Ajax. We're leaving it rather late at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Does Cuadrado not have some stupidly high buyout clause or did I imagine that?

Im not exactly sure on the exact figure for the buyout clause as I have read conflicted reports. From what I gather the buy out clause is between £26-£31 million. Hard to tell exactly, different papers have different figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

zerks wrote: »
    I believe Woodward was so bullish in his interview because a few signings are already done deals but will be announced when the club are ready,not when the media or fans are.

If they are done deals then those players would be better served integrating with the rest of the squad on tour than waiting for the perfect media moment to say hello.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeah, somewhere around 40m if I remember right. But the general talk seems to be they'd accept round 30m and not force the whole buyout clause....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I think when Fiorentina bought him outright before the WC it was set at €40 million. Don't think I'd be confident paying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It's getting close to the start of the season. There's some obvious weaknesses in the squad. Weaknesses that could really hurt next season if we get our usual spate of defensive injuries. People are concerned, yes. Why shouldnt they be?

Why are people concerned is beyond me.

Do you think a manager of his experience is saying oh yes we will be alright starting the season with 5 defenders. Their will be signings i have no doubt i don't know how anybody could worry it would be any different. LVG obviously want;s to look at the defenders up close and decide if they are good enough to start and if he needs competition or to improve on them.

I am surprised the deal for De Vrij has not been done yet. I would also like Santon he is young will improve and is versatile at lb and rb. I would be happy with that i don't think Hummels is an option.

De Vrij 8m and Santon 10m would be good deals imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Adamocovic wrote: »
    So apparently a bid of £42.5 million will be launched for Vidal in the coming days.

Yesterday we had "entered advanced negotiations", today we are close to "launching a bid".

Why do people bother with this rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Fair enough. I'm not stating "WE ARE NOT SIGNING ANYONE EVER AGAIN!". I'm just concerned that leaving it late to do transfers can be a major risk. If they hit a snag, you miss the window, or the price goes sky high if it enter the last couple of days of the window.

As for Blind, if we're in for him, surely the bid would be made by now. LVG knows the lad very well, and doesnt need to scout or anything. Blind came out the other day and said he wants his future sorted this week, or he'll remain at Ajax. We're leaving it rather late at this stage.

Ya because he is going to pull a hissy fit next week if we coming looking to give him his biggest career move he will ever get.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Why are people concerned is beyond me.

Do you think a manager of his experience is saying oh yes we will be alright starting the season with 5 defenders. Their will be signings i have no doubt i don't know how anybody could worry it would be any different. LVG obviously want;s to look at the defenders up close and decide if they are good enough to start and if he needs competition or to improve on them.

I am surprised the deal for De Vrij has not been done yet. I would also like Santon he is young will improve and is versatile at lb and rb. I would be happy with that i don't think Hummels is an option.

De Vrij 8m and Santon 10m would be good deals imo.

Do you honestly believe there a group of players out there that have agreed to sign, but are waiting for LVG to make up his mind if they are needed or not?
    I don't buy that.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    What has you thinking that? I havent read anything with substance in relation to Vidal joining us

Read it on a few websites and papers saying a bid was being prepared,it was on Metro, Goal.com, Caughtoffsids, Business Time and few other ones. I know it's not credible sources atm. And I'm not saying it is true.

I added after "Let's just say it's true" just to talk about potential players that we could buy for ~£90 million with the proposed prices.

• Advertisement

Yesterday we had "entered advanced negotiations", today we are close to "launching a bid".

They are preparing a bid to launch into advanced negotiations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Read it on a few websites and papers saying a bid was being prepared,it was on Metro, Goal.com, Caughtoffsids, Business Time and few other ones. I know it's not credible sources atm. And I'm not saying it is true.

I added after "Let's just say it's true" just to talk about potential players that we could buy for ~£90 million with the proposed prices.

Yeah Id imagine its all page filler stuff. Di Maria and Vidal dont look like happening.

Ya because he is going to pull a hissy fit next week if we coming looking to give him his biggest career move he will ever get.

LVG doesnt need a couple of weeks with the squad to figure out we need cover at LB. The fact we havent gone in for Blind (a player LVG knows) suggests to me that he isnt a target. And making up his mind this week may mean he's off to another club.

Why are people only quoting that bit from me? I clearly said after "Let's just say it's true". Im not saying it is I was using that if thats what the price for Vidal will be who could we purchase for around 90million, which realistically will be what the club are planning on spending, money from sales of players excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Ya it is a risk leaving it late but that's the price of hiring a manager who only got back from managing at the world cup 2 weeks ago. There was always going to be delays.

If that's the case with Blind, I would be expecting to see him in a United shirt by the end of the week. Hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Transfer gossip is for men what glossy magazines are for women.

Let them enjoy it and don't you ****ing dare question it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

zerks wrote: »
    I believe Woodward was so bullish in his interview because a few signings are already done deals but will be announced when the club are ready,not when the media or fans are.

Aside from players that are still off on holidays after reaching the latter stages of the World Cup, I can't see any logical reason for not announcing a completed deal.

I'm concerned myself that we haven't got players in and are looking a bit bareboned in areas 3 weeks before the season starts, but this is the price we pay for Moyes' failure. The only other alternatives were to hire someone other than LvG that wouldn't be tied up at WC, or allow a non-footballing exec like Woodward to decide transfer targets and hope LvG fancies them. It's just a sad reality that we may have to go down to the wire again re. transfers but there's mitigating circumstances and fans should face up to that reality imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

United are totally distancing themselves from Vidal which makes me think that it's unlikely. It appears that United are concentrating on bringing in a couple of defenders at the moment.

I'd put my money on De Vrij and Blind atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Should we all just shift to break the tension?

gowl, shift. You're from connacht and less than 22 I'd say.

yep, that appears to be the case.

you're not moaning, about the people, who are moaning about the moaning by moaners any chance?

Homer made a funny!!!!!

(Granted I made the exact same joke a posts before it and he get's more thanks :()

• Advertisement

Aside from players that are still off on holidays after reaching the latter stages of the World Cup, I can't see any logical reason for not announcing a completed deal.

I'm concerned myself that we haven't got players in and are looking a bit bareboned in areas 3 weeks before the season starts, but this is the price we pay for Moyes' failure. The only other alternatives were to hire someone other than LvG that wouldn't be tied up at WC, or allow a non-footballing exec like Woodward to decide transfer targets and hope LvG fancies them. It's just a sad reality that we may have to go down to the wire again re. transfers but there's mitigating circumstances and fans should face up to that reality imo.

That's just a lazy ass excuse, It really is. The club we in contact with LVG for months now. Even before Moyes got the bullet. The transfer targets and dealings could be done now.
    Moyes is gone. You can't keep blaming him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Fergie has to take most of the blame for the state the squad is in. He wasted a lot of money in recent years, mishandled Pogba, and completely ignored central midfield.

Moyes wasn't right for the job....I said that when he was hired and tbh I think everyone knew it. But you can't be blaming him for the state of the United squad. He was in the job for less than a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Less than 22? The Connacht lasses were shifting and getting their gowls out in my day and I'm 28.

LVG doesnt need a couple of weeks with the squad to figure out we need cover at LB. The fact we havent gone in for Blind (a player LVG knows) suggests to me that he isnt a target. And making up his mind this week may mean he's off to another club.
    but how do you who we are and are not in for?

Soccer clubs are business', a business does not let people know what their plans are or the details of financial contracts.

And certainly the people who do know are not the type to go telling the media.

Like I'm not allowed talk about the stuff I see everyday in work even though I am on the lowest rung. Surely football clubs are the same

but how do you who we are and are not in for?

Soccer clubs are business', a business does not let people know what their plans are or the details of financial contracts.

And certainly the people who do know are not the type to go telling the media.

Like I'm not allowed talk about the stuff I see everyday in work even though I am on the lowest rung. Surely football clubs are the same

Maybe we are in for him. Maybe we'll still be in for him in October.
    Maybe we'll step up our interest in him after Roma buy him. That tactic worked very well with Strootman.

Ill shift your gowl.

Nah, nearly 25, Limerick. I can throw in a yurt for you if you want?

becase that makes a difference?

So, ill just rule you out of our shift.

Maybe we are in for him. Maybe we'll still be in for him in October.

Maybe we are in for Messi as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ronaldo is our only man.

Na, dude, he's off to Liverpool with Reus, Pogba, Vidal and Di Maria. ;)

• Advertisement

That's just a lazy ass excuse, It really is. The club we in contact with LVG for months now. Even before Moyes got the bullet. The transfer targets and dealings could be done now.
    Moyes is gone. You can't keep blaming him.

It really isn't. The club had been working all last season on Moyes' targets, new manager comes in and has new targets. Now in the case of Herrera and Shaw he signed off on two of those targets, other deals that were being worked on were likely scrapped putting us back to square one and having to do the groundwork all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Do you honestly believe there a group of players out there that have agreed to sign, but are waiting for LVG to make up his mind if they are needed or not?
    I don't buy that.

No i don't think their are a group of players out their who have agreed to sign. I believe LVG has had a week to look at the squad and decide who is good enough and what he needs.

I believe Woodward has been given a list of players LVG wants and he flew home to try sign these players.

Do i think it is ideal that with three weeks to go we need a few signings no. But that was the price to pay with LVG because he was with Holland. He was late meeting the squad and obviously his decision on signings would be late also. Their is three weeks to go and i don't think we will be starting the season with 5 defenders.

Kirby wrote: »
    Fergie has to take most of the blame for the state the squad is in. He wasted a lot of money in recent years, mishandled Pogba, and completely ignored central midfield.

Moyes wasn't right for the job....I said that when he was hired and tbh I think everyone knew it. But you can't be blaming him for the state of the United squad. He was in the job for less than a year.

I'm not blaming Moyes for the state of the squad. I'm saying with a new manager, especially one with a very different approach, comes new transfer targets.

Na, dude, he's off to Liverpool with Reus, Pogba, Vidal and Di Maria. ;)

Its a smokescreen for Ronaldo to come back, as we unveil Messi, Ronaldo is gonna cantona kick him in the head and Vidal will appear out of the cake we made for Messi.

Valencia then completes his transformation in micheal Jackson and moonwalks out of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Transfer gossip is for men what glossy magazines are for women.

Let them enjoy it and don't you ****ing dare question it.

We need to combine the two.

In next months 'Femme Footie'

Anderson's weight loss techniques revealed. Just how did the father of three shed the weight in time for summer beach season.

LVG shares his breakfast omelette recipe that is taking the Netherlands by storm.

Juan Mata's EXCLUSIVE topless photos.

The top 5 reasons Nani is well shit.

Is your club as crap as Liverpool? 10 questions will reveal the answer.

*Free Arturo Vidal face cream inside*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Kirby wrote: »

ah yea blame fergie again, love the way it always comes back to the man who had us dominating English football for the last 20 years.

• Advertisement

Keno wrote: »

Anderson's weight loss techniques revealed. Just how did the father of three shed the weight in time for summer beach season.

LVG shares his breakfast omelette recipe that is taking the Netherlands by storm.

I'd copyright that fairly lively :P

I'm actually a little surprised there was ''Ronaldo return to United'' rumour in the papers this morning since they signed James and Ed said we could break the bank for anyone :o

bangkok wrote: »
    ah yea blame fergie again, love the way it always comes back to the man who had us dominating English football for the last 20 years.

Lets blame Beckham.

Our midfield was only good because of how good he looked.

ferguson saw this and forgot about talent but tried to make his midfielders handsome rather than play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I'm actually a little surprised there was ''Ronaldo return to United'' rumour in the papers this morning since they signed James and Ed said we could break the bank for anyone :o

Yeah, I've been shocked that hasn't cropped up more; such an easy story to write....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Always find it funny the way football clubs are made out to be fecking morons when it comes to money and transfers. As if as long as it isn't in black and white and quotable to the club, no one knows about it.

As if United saying they have money is going to make a difference, as said about our financials are well known - clubs know we have record sponsor deals being announced nearly every week it seems - they know the cash we have and they know the squad we have.

Same with stuff like 'We'll sign Vidal once Juve have made their signings, they want them done before selling so they don't getted mugged off buying players'. Same was said re. Bale/Spurs/Madrid last summer. Does anyone think Roma didn't know Bale was going to be sold and thus thought 'Oh, Spurs don't have much money so we'' have to be reasonable with them'. I knew Bale was going. You knew Bale was going, you can be damned sure Roma knew too, and would factor that future cash into their negotiations with Spurs.

My favourite is "we need to sign X before he has a good Euros/World Cup cos everybody will know about him then".

From the school of thought that brought you "Sure Louis van Gaal prob doesn't even know who Herrera is"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Name change to "Femme Fútale" obv.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been shocked that hasn't cropped up more; such an easy story to write....

Yeah compared to other Summers, there has been very little on his triumphant return.

Maybe that means it's actually going to happen :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

keane2097 wrote: »
    Name change to "Femme Fútale" obv.

Too sophisticated. We're trying to appease the lowest common denominator with this magazine.

Too sophisticated. We're trying to appease the lowest common denominator with this magazine.

Keno talking about your target audience like that will throw them off buying the magazine. I for one am going to cancel my subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Its a smokescreen for Ronaldo to come back, as we unveil Messi, Ronaldo is gonna cantona kick him in the head and Vidal will appear out of the cake we made for Messi.

Valencia then completes his transformation in micheal Jackson and moonwalks out of the club.

Sounds more likely to happen at Vince McMahons Newcastle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Did anyone see the Herrera deal coming?

The Shaw bid was announced by Southampton and then wrapped up sharpish once the lad got back from the world cup.

Mata was done quick smart.

Whatever we're at, it'll be announced and done and done sharpish, lessons have obviously been learned.
    The rags and 'respected journalists' are just speculating on a daily basis-that list of outgoings was comical yesterday....talk about throwing enough sh!t at a wall.

All these protracted transfers and stalling by the club/manager are just in our(the fans) heads.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

How much and when is it released?

Ill shift your gowl.

Nah, nearly 25, Limerick. I can throw in a yurt for you if you want?

becase that makes a difference?

So, ill just rule you out of our shift.

Nah it wasn't a crack man, i was just having a guess. Haven't heard gowl used in ages. Shifting, ya, standard enough.

I'm really intrigued by this breakfast omelette recipe. Will this be a weekly thing? I hear his English Muffins are to die for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Ever notice that while women complain about page 3 they're always looking at photos of topless celebrities in magazines?

It's analogous to the people moaning about negativity here but I haven't worked out exactly how... leave it with me.

In the mean time, cheer up and think of tits.:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement