Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,620 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

About 11:00 tomorrow you'll be making a cup of coffee and humming an Amy Winehouse song and wondering why

Problem.jpg

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

About 11:00 tomorrow you'll be making a cup of coffee and humming an Amy Winehouse song and wondering why

Problem.jpg

I'll be road tripping at 11am and I don't drink coffee and I definitely won't be humming your song :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It'll be tough handing over the community shield but hopefully it will be replaced by the Guinness cup after beating Liverpool in the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I see Evra has arrived in Turin and presented as a Juventus player.

I'm reading that he is trying to convince Juve to sign Nani, hopefully his undercover work will work!
    So lets give him a few days to persuade Vidal to join our great club.
    I have faith in you Patrice!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If there is nothing done by Monday it would end the saga for me, 7 days of him and his agent both apparently in Italy you'd think that would be the perfect time to sort it out before Juve go on tour and to get Vidal a few preseason games with us

Vidal seemed to not get back to full fitness after his knee op this season. He was still a bit off the pace during the WC. If the United management are genuinely looking at signing him, they could well be waiting to see how his recovery goes over the course of the summer. So it's reasonable to expect that a bid might be made late in the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pro. F wrote: »
    Vidal seemed to not get back to full fitness after his knee op this season. He was still a bit off the pace during the WC. If the United management are genuinely looking at signing him, they could well be waiting to see how his recovery goes over the course of the summer. So it's reasonable to expect that a bid might be made late in the window.

That may be the case alright
    Though if he is headed to the preseason tour on Monday he must have been cleared by Juve to go, and judging him on friendly games where his intensity will probably be way below his norm isn't much to go on if they are worried about his knee.

The mirror are doing well this summer with the bottom of the barrel journalism, they are going with us getting Hummels for 20 million subject to Liverpool loaning Dortmund Llori as a replacement. Tongue must have been firmly in cheek while writing that article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭baldshin

Bought my ticket to see Juventus play the A League All Stars on the preseason tour.......god I hope I don't get to see Vidal in person!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,406 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

reckon if we were going to sign Vidal, there would ahve been some concrete movement at this point. Resigned myself to the fact we aren't signing another midfielder this summer, and our season will sufer massively as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

That may be the case alright
    Though if he is headed to the preseason tour on Monday he must have been cleared by Juve to go, and judging him on friendly games where his intensity will probably be way below his norm isn't much to go on if they are worried about his knee.

The mirror are doing well this summer with the bottom of the barrel journalism, they are going with us getting Hummels for 20 million subject to Liverpool loaning Dortmund Llori as a replacement. Tongue must have been firmly in cheek while writing that article.

Even if it was true I'd say Liverpool would let Llori rot on the bench rather that wind up helping us out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Just catching up on last nights postings, there's some hilarious ones in there...

I think Larry and Bangkok might just be the same person!! The whole friends in Turin, friends in JP morgan!!!!

Care to defend yourself Larry Wildkok????

On Future guy's saying we're not signing Vidal...
    All those gifs and no Kate Upton dance
    WTF is wrong with you people, make it happen

FutureGuy, your line will never ever go out of fashion, we all love you too much to let it happen.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

brinty wrote: »
    Just catching up on last nights postings, there's some hilarious ones in there...

I think Larry and Bangkok might just be the same person!! The whole friends in Turin, friends in JP morgan!!!!

FutureGuy, your line will never ever go out of fashion, we all love you too much to let it happen.....

Yes - Because having friends in an investment bank and in a foreign country are so similar!

Nah, we're not the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I love how VG pretty much said we are mainly looking at bringing in a centre back at the moment but all the papers are running stories of Vidal, Cavani (where did this come from??) and Cuadrado. My previous prediction of our next signing being on Tuesday was proven wrong but surely we will bring in a centre back before the end of the first week in August.

Yes - Because having friends in an investment bank and in a foreign country are so similar!

Nah, we're not the same person.

I couldn't be more convinced ;)
    Do you know Puyol's missus too :eek:

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I love how VG pretty much said we are mainly looking at bringing in a centre back at the moment but all the papers are running stories of Vidal, Cavani (where did this come from??) and Cuadrado. My previous prediction of our next signing being on Tuesday was proven wrong but surely we will bring in a centre back before the end of the first week in August.

Cavani has been rumoured for six months now, pay no heed to it
    Vidal is this summer's Sneijder, Ozil,Thiago, Fabregas... If it happens it happens but i'm not holding out on it
    Cuadrado being mentioned as he'd fit into 5-3-2/3-5-2 formation

I'd not predict any signings as a rule, burnt far too many times to do it, with age comes experience ;)

I think once LvG gets back to carrington, poor Ed will be into overdrive as LvG will be fcuking him out of it on an hourly basis....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I think today is the day one way or another on Vidal... If there is no movement today from both sides then I think that's the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Problem.jpg

Not a Winehouse song.

The Zutons. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

irishfeen wrote: »
    I think today is the day one way or another on Vidal... If there is no movement today from both sides then I think that's the end of it.

I think so too. For the last few weeks I've been checking every few minutes to see is this happening or not. I won't get a chance all day today so surely something will happen

Agh Feen, i thought you'd be more patient than that
    if we hear nothing once they get back from America then its dead..

Don't forget RVP was only sign just before the season started so it could still happen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Not sure if posted already but Evra has said he would have been captain if he stayed.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9401934/patrice-evra-reveals-he-would-have-been-man-utd-captain-if-he-had-stayed

I think he'd have been a terrible choice personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Manchester United are closing in on a £20m move for Germany World Cup winner Mats Hummels, 25, with Borussia Dortmund hoping to replace the defender with Liverpool's 21-year-old Tiago Ilori in a loan deal.

Daily Mirror
    Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has confirmed the Italian club's interest in Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini, 26, although he is not the only name on his list.

Daily Telegraph
    Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone is ready to bid £14m for Manchester United midfielder Shinji Kagawa, 25, having already enquired about the availability of the Japan international.

Daily Express

Other news,
    Manchester United's Dutch manager Louis van Gaal, 62, has had HD cameras installed at the club's Carrington complex so he can analyse every detail of training.

Daily Mirror
    United defender Jonny Evans, 26, says the cameras are already being used on the club's tour of the United States: "The manager is saying: 'You should be five yards to the right.' We went though a video last night and I was 10 yards out."

Daily Mail
    Manchester United defender Jonny Evans believes this is a key time in his career as he looks to step up as the senior centre-back following the exits of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.

Guardian

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/gossip/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

brinty wrote: »

nope I don't know anybody working in JP morgan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Why today? Why not yesterday? Why not Monday?

Tbh, if there was ever actually anything there or not, the journalists will run with this right up to deadline day....

I'm expecting big things from Jonny Evans this season. I know there's some on here that question his aerial ability but he is a fine defender and a vastly underrated one at that. Good to see van Gaal seemingly rates him, I hope and think he will flourish under him.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Tbh, if there was ever actually anything there or not, the journalists will run with this right up to deadline day....

yes I would agree, cant see anything been done today especially with United in america

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,406 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »
    yes I would agree, cant see anything been done today especially with United in america

Woodward isn't in America, and he is in charge of negotiating transfers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

nope I don't know anybody working in JP morgan

I don't really know anyone in Turin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm expecting big things from Jonny Evans this season. I know there's some on here that question his aerial ability but he is a fine defender and a vastly underrated one at that. Good to see van Gaal seemingly rates him, I hope and think he will flourish under him.

I think he's underrated. Came on leaps and bounds over the last three years.

Woodward isn't in America, and he is in charge of negotiating transfers.

what I meant was I don't think anything will be announced until they are back if there is something done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Evans has had his chance. He’s too inconsistent to be considered a first team defender at United. I know many who think United erred when they let O’Shea go and kept Evans and although age was undoubtedly the factor O’Shea would have offered better cover over the past few years. He wasn’t first team quality either but IMO a better defender than Evans.

But beggars can’t be choosers. We have 3 very average CBs. Jones for me is the one with potential but he’s got to start showing it. Evans streets ahead of Smalling but that’s not saying much. Smalling – well if Arsenal want him…..

But until we take out the chequebook they’re what we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Did your father or bro tell you that from utds training camp in America?

No, but at least when they did tell me things from last year it was 100% correct unlike some people;):D

• Advertisement

No, but at least when they did tell me things from last year it was 100% correct unlike some people;):D

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Lord TSC wrote: »

Today is August 1st - only 15 days away from PL KO ... If United were serious about Vidal it should now be very close - if not it's last year all over again. If today closes without any movement them I'm closing the matter in my mind - if it happens after then great but after today I won't be expecting it.

Coat22 wrote: »
    Evans has had his chance. He’s too inconsistent to be considered a first team defender at United. I know many who think United erred when they let O’Shea go and kept Evans and although age was undoubtedly the factor O’Shea would have offered better cover over the past few years. He wasn’t first team quality either but IMO a better defender than Evans.

But beggars can’t be choosers. We have 3 very average CBs. Jones for me is the one with potential but he’s got to start showing it. Evans streets ahead of Smalling but that’s not saying much. Smalling – well if Arsenal want him…..

But until we take out the chequebook they’re what we have.

How has he had his chance when there was 2 of the best centre backs in the history of the club ahead of him?
    He only got a chance when they were injured and in the last couple of years when Rio went downhill and he performed pretty well then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I find the Hummels story particularly entertaining this morning, utter nonsense from the Mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

what I meant was I don't think anything will be announced until they are back if there is something done

other clubs are announcing deals in the last two weeks while on tour, why should it be different for us?

you think its a case that we are so obsessed with commercial and tour activities that transfers during tours are not a priority?

How has he had his chance when there was 2 of the best centre backs in the history of the club ahead of him?
    He only got a chance when they were injured and in the last couple of years when Rio went downhill and he performed pretty well then.

Plenty of chances with Ferdinand and his inability to play over the past couple of seasons, if he was up to it he’d have dislodged him 3 or 4 seasons back (I know. I know. Ferdinand made it to the team of the year in 12/13 and is therefore untouchable). Vidic also has missed most of the last 2 seasons with injury and yet Evans was unable to make an impact.

You make your opportunities – if you’re good enough you will get your chances. Evans had plenty but couldn’t make the most of them.

BTW (and I know I’ll probably get eaten alive for this) but I’d take issue with Ferdinand and Vidic being “the best two defenders in the history of the club” – how old are you? 13?

other clubs are announcing deals in the last two weeks while on tour, why should it be different for us?

you think its a case that we are so obsessed with commercial and tour activities that transfers during tours are not a priority?

For once I agree with the mighty Homer.

If we could nail them we’d announce them. United are a publicly listed company so have an obligation to announce significant signings to the market when completed. We simply haven’t announced anything because we can’t sign anyone.

August 1 today – while the rest of Europes top clubs get on with training their new squads we scratch around wondering who we’ll sign in a panic on deadline day.

I hear Richard Dunne might be interested in a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Alright lads and lassies,

I have received a tenner from the following for the PAID FF league with 10% going to a charity of our choice

KevIrl - Thanks!
    IrishFeen - Cheers!
    MayoMaulers - Nice one!

We have 2 leagues going this season, see my sig below for the code to the Utd Superthread shytes and giggles league (Free).

PM me for my details to pay a tenner for the super serious paid league (code received after payment!)

FINAL DATE FOR PAYMENT/ENTRY TO PAID LEAGUE IS 12 MIDDAY ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST.

Cheers!

BTW (and I know I’ll probably get eaten alive for this) but I’d take issue with Ferdinand and Vidic being “the best two defenders in the history of the club” – how old are you? 13?

Are you going to tell us you'd need to be over 136 years old before you could hold a valid opinion on who was the best anything in the history of the club?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Plenty of chances with Ferdinand and his inability to play over the past couple of seasons, if he was up to it he’d have dislodged him 3 or 4 seasons back (I know. I know. Ferdinand made it to the team of the year in 12/13 and is therefore untouchable). Vidic also has missed most of the last 2 seasons with injury and yet Evans was unable to make an impact.

You make your opportunities – if you’re good enough you will get your chances. Evans had plenty but couldn’t make the most of them.

Shhhhhhh

Stop talking

Oh, this will end well.

And Beckham was only picked because of his image.

And Beckham was only picked because of his image.

And signing De Gea was a mistake because he is a calamitous mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

yermandan wrote: »
    Alright lads and lassies,

I have received a tenner from the following for the PAID FF league with 10% going to a charity of our choice

KevIrl - Thanks!
    IrishFeen - Cheers!
    MayoMaulers - Nice one!

We have 2 leagues going this season, see my sig below for the code to the Utd Superthread shytes and giggles league (Free).

PM me for my details to pay a tenner for the super serious paid league (code received after payment!)

FINAL DATE FOR PAYMENT/ENTRY TO PAID LEAGUE IS 12 MIDDAY ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST.

Cheers!

I'll donate a tenner to Kev I suppose, fire me on the details there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Evans has been United's best defender performance wise the past few seasons very underrated. He reads the game well, rarely caught out of position and is very good building from the back. He also improved massively in the air but i agree it is a weakness.

• Advertisement

Are you going to tell us you'd need to be over 136 years old before you could hold a valid opinion on who was the best anything in the history of the club?

….eh no – its actually around 13 years since we sold Jaap Stam (a better defender than either) and 12 years since we bought Ferdinand. People like Vidid because he could defend, score with his head and got stuck in but there have been a history of such players at United if you care to look back even just to the Ferguson era.

Ferdinand was a fine, fine defender but was he any better than Gary Pallister?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yes. Without a doubt.

Yes he was.

He was also better than vidic

….eh no – its actually around 13 years since we sold Jaap Stam (a better defender than either) and 12 years since we bought Ferdinand. People like Vidid because he could defend, score with his head and got stuck in but there have been a history of such players at United if you care to look back even just to the Ferguson era.

please please just stop

People are allowed to hold opinions on who they think was the best and you can go ahead and disagree, but you're never going to be able to put these players in the same team, against the same opposition and get a definitive answer. So your opinion has about as much validity as his - there's no need to go down the condescending conversation killer line with comments like "Are you 13?"

But yes, Ferdinand was better than Pallister.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement