Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Coat22 wrote: »

Ferdinand was a fine, fine defender but was he any better than Gary Pallister?

What a strange question. He most certainly was better than Gary Pallister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

FutureGuy and Hococop.

Legends of the Boards....
    Was sitting in a waiting room an hour ago and the haw-haws out of me surely entertained everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

And signing De Gea was a mistake because he is a calamitous mess.

Should have signed joe hart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Ferdinand's positioning and speed meant he was no standout because he rarely got in trouble and needed to make last ditch tackles. It's players like Terry who get caught out and get back with last ditch tackles who look great. Ferdinand was so good he didn't need to make last ditch tackles. One of the greatest defenders of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Never liked Rio as a person!

But I had a row with a Liverpool supporting mate a few weeks ago, when I said he was easily in the top 5 in the history of the premier league and arguably the best ever. He said I was talking nonsense but when I asked him who was better, he struggled.

Obviously, John Terry, Sol Campbell, Tony Adams, Stam, Vidic, Carragher would be up there but you can make a strong case for Rio being the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Ferdinand's positioning and speed meant he was no standout because he rarely got in trouble and needed to make last ditch tackles. It's players like Terry who get caught out and get back with last ditch tackles who look great. Ferdinand was so good he didn't need to make last ditch tackles. One of the greatest defenders of all time.

bang on there.... I think there was a stat a few years ago where Ferdinand had not even committed a foul in over a season in the league!!!!!!!!! he was such a good reader of the game it was scary and he cruised through games. If he was Italian and won a world cup he would have gone down as one of the best defenders of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sell the whole squad I say!!!!!!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Ok – I give up – Ferdinand was the best defender ever to play for United. Better than Pallister, better than Stam.

I don’t know anyone over 40 who believes that but it’s a matter of opinion so lets move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

bullvine wrote: »

But I had a row with a Liverpool supporting mate a few weeks ago, when I said he was easily in the top 5 in the history of the premier league and arguably the best ever. He said I was talking nonsense but when I asked him who was better, he struggled.

Obviously, John Terry, Sol Campbell, Tony Adams, Stam, Vidic, Carragher would be up there but you can make a strong case for Rio being the best.

Carra better than Rio?

"Im nor avin tha."

Carra better than Rio?

"Im nor avin tha."

I thought best not to leave him out! None of them are better than Rio in fairness.

• Advertisement

bullvine wrote: »

CARRAGHER?????? and yet you didn't name pallister or bruce! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Carragher's not even the best Sky Sports pundit let alone Premier League defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Coat22 wrote: »
    Ok – I give up – Ferdinand was the best defender ever to play for United. Better than Pallister, better than Stam.

I don’t know anyone over 40 who believes that but it’s a matter of opinion so lets move on.

That's probably because people over 40 are set in their ways and think everything was better in their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Jamie "We're gunna need Subtitles" Carragher top 5 best defender in the prem ever?

Andy-Millman_350_446695a.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I would contend that Jaap Stam was a better defender than Rio Ferdinand.

And I stand by my view that David Beckham's "Galactico" status was based on non-footballing factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pallister always seems very underrated to me on these threads.

bangkok wrote: »
    CARRAGHER?????? and yet you didn't name pallister or bruce! :eek:

I didn't want to give it too strong a United feel.

bang on there.... I think there was a stat a few years ago where Ferdinand had not even committed a foul in over a season in the league!!!!!!!!! he was such a good reader of the game it was scary and he cruised through games. If he was Italian and won a world cup he would have gone down as one of the best defenders of all time

It could also mean that he was a coward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

keane2097 wrote: »

Well at least now we know you're over 40. :pac:

• Advertisement

From 06 to 09, Rio was beyond outrageous, easily best on the planet, Phenomenal!

It could be related to the age profile.

Pallister was a fantastic defender...if he was a young defender playing for Boro right now, I'd be screaming for us to offer £20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

He had a dodgy start to his Utd career which may have clouded peoples judgement of him.

Him and Bruce were a perfect partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Ye because he was jumping out of defenders way to not commit fouls what a stupid thing to say. He didn't give away fouls because he didn't need too. Best reader of the game i ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Gary, Gary, Gary, Gary Pallister!

Andy Cole, Andy Cole, Andy, Andy Cole...

haha this has to be one of the best posts I have ever seen!!!!! go home, your drunk

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Ye because he was jumping out of defenders way to not commit fouls what a stupid thing to say. He didn't give away fouls because he didn't need too. Best reader of the game i ever seen.

Stats can mean any number of things...that's my point

I don't think he is underrated, most people who watched him are very aware of how brilliant he was but the OP compared him to Ferdinand and unfortunately he just doesn't compare. No shame in that and it doesn't diminish his own status in any way.

Stats can mean any number of things...that's my point

and trophies, lots and lots of trophies

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If Steve Bruce in his current condition could run fast, he would flatten the opposition

I would contend that Jaap Stam was a better defender than Rio Ferdinand.

And I stand by my view that David Beckham's "Galactico" status was based on non-footballing factors.

Or because be was good at playing?

So madrid and United played him just because he was famous?

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    If Steve Bruce in his current condition could run fast, he would flatten the opposition

Like that guy "Juggernaut" in X-Men?

If Steve Bruce could run fast in his current condition, he'd flatten Manhattan...

don't bite, he said originally he was one of the most over rated players ever, then he concluded that he was an excellent player but wouldn't be in the same bracket as pele or maradona!!!! :p

don't bite, he said originally he was one of the most over rated players ever, then he concluded that he was an excellent player but wouldn't be in the same bracket as pele or maradona!!!! :p

Ya I read all that. I'm queit in work so just want to relive it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't think he is underrated, most people who watched him are very aware of how brilliant he was but the OP compared him to Ferdinand and unfortunately he just doesn't compare. No shame in that and it doesn't diminish his own status in any way.

It's more by people who clearly didn't watch him.

You occasionally get people picking "Best MUFC team of my lifetime" where trying to be hipster or something people pick Bruce over Pallister which is just beyond belief.

I don't really agree that Ferdinand was on a different level to him. Better alright but the comparison is not worthy of the level of scorn it seems to get from teenagers.

Not a big deal anyway, just my 2c, luckily I'm young enough to not trust my opinion on early 90s players as 100% untainted by the passage of time!

Dude, that is not what I'm saying.

Beckham was a superb player. However, in my view his "greatness" has been inflated by his profile and his marketability.There was a point in time when a coterie of Real Madrid players were referred to as "Los Galacticos". Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo and Beckham. In my humble opinion, Beckham's status as a "Galactico" was not based on footballing ability and his name sticks out like a sore thumb alongside the other three.

The lack of logical coherent thought in this place sometimes is astonishing.

Do you realise that someone can be one of the most overrated players of all time and still be an excellent player?

Beckham was a superb player. However, in my view his "greatness" has been inflated by his profile and his marketability.

This argument was rubbish the first time you tried it, I don't see much point in trying it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Gary, Gary, Gary, Gary Pallister!

Andy Cole, Andy Cole, Andy, Andy Cole...

He gets the ball and scores a goal

Andy Andy Cole!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

I'm pulling this from football365 gossip blog:

This is from Rob Dawson of the Manchester Evening News regarding the Arturo Vidal 'transfer'. "I can only tell you what United have told me - and that's not to get too excited about it. They haven't been in contact with the player or with Juventus. They're under the impression the speculation is being driven by the player and his agent."

fitze69 wrote: »
    I'm pulling this from football365 gossip blog:

This is from Rob Dawson of the Manchester Evening News regarding the Arturo Vidal 'transfer'. "I can only tell you what United have told me - and that's not to get too excited about it. They haven't been in contact with the player or with Juventus. They're under the impression the speculation is being driven by the player and his agent."

I'd say that's pretty accurate!

• Advertisement

This argument was rubbish the first time you tried it, I don't see much point in trying it again.

It was rubbish in your view.

Unfortunately people in this thread have blind spots in relation to certain players.

The outpourings of love for jokers like Dimitar Berbatov are a prime example, as is this Beckham stuff and as is the Rio Ferdinand stuff.

There's a difference between loyalty and blind loyalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Why the f**k havent UTD just made a god dam offer and get him signed up already.

Aaagggggggghhh

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

Unfortunately people in this thread have blind spots in relation to certain players.

The outpourings of love for jokers like Dimitar Berbatov are a prime example, as is this Beckham stuff and as is the Rio Ferdinand stuff.

It's not a difference between loyalty and blind loyalty, it's just a difference of opinion between you and others. I'm more partial to certain players from the 90's because that's when I really got into supporting United, I'm sure others are the same about the 70's or 00's etc.

Its insane how similar this summer is to last summer, we are doing the exact same bull**** all over again, don't know how more people can't see it. Horribly depressing as far as I am concerned.

Here's a very likely line up for our first game, in only two weeks time.

DeGea
    Smalling
    Evans
    Jones
    Shaw
    Valencia
    Cleverley
    Herrera
    Mata
    Rooney
    Van Persie

After all the hope and expectation that finally we might fix our problems that is the side we look to be starting the season with. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Why the f**k havent UTD just made a god dam offer and get him signed up already.

Aaagggggggghhh

As I said yesterday, IMO its all being peddled by Vidal's camp and the situation has been exacerbated by Utd's lack of signings since signing Shaw and a CEO telling people to 'watch this space'.

If Utd got their finger out and signed a player or two, the Vidal nonsense wouldn't be half as bad.

Ya a blind spot of looking past what he does off the field and can see what he can do on the field.

You are just getting worked up about how he became famous and what he has done for himself, you just want to begrudge him.

If Madrid had so many star names that could sell papers, why would they need to buy Beckham when they already had the players that sold shirts and papers?

Beckham was only big in the Media in England, a bit like Rooney.

Madrid didnt need to sell papers in England or branch out in England because they werent known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Wonder where chicharito will end up, looks like he could well leave before the season starts. A swap deal with Hummels would be ideal but that won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Hococop wrote: »
    oyANQ.jpg
    Say the line Futureguy
    stankratz wrote: »
    Future Guy at this moment...

2z553jm.jpg
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    We are not signing Arturo Vidal. Go to bed lads.
    Hococop wrote: »
    SImpson%2005%20Bart%20Gets%20Famous.jpg

This series of posts deserves so, so much more credit than it got.

TheTownie wrote: »
    As I said yesterday, IMO its all being peddled by Vidal's camp and the situation has been exacerbated by Utd's lack of signings since signing Shaw and a CEO telling people to 'watch this space'.

If Utd got their finger out and signed a player or two, the Vidal nonsense wouldn't be half as bad.

To what end?

His contract was renewed pretty recently.

Because of FFP, others seem hamstrung.

If it'd a "come get me" plea, then why don't we just do it?! If we don't want him, that's worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,406 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If United aren't after Vidal (and WHY THE FECK NOT??) then who are we after? Surely LVG can't think the midfield options we have are good enough? The guy can't be that stupid, can he?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement