Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

But you are aware that United won't win the CL this year regardless of who is signed, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

dahat wrote: »
    Should also be taken into consideration that players quote possibly jacked it in for Moyes last season.

GGetting Van Gaal in make a big difference with the player's attitude and effort when the **** hits the fan in certain games. Add in Shaw and Herrera and I think we can make Top 4 as is.
    Possibly so but you cannot get blood from a turnip if your not SAF, without quality we are in totally unknown territory.

But you are aware that United won't win the CL this year regardless of who is signed, right?
    ... Well done, fast thinking there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

irishfeen wrote: »
    Possibly so but you cannot get blood from a turnip if your not SAF, without quality we are in totally unknown territory.

I feel Van Gaal can get the same effort from the player's, even already the player's seem to be accepting of his methods.

I feel Van Gaal can get the same effort from the player's, even already the player's seem to be accepting of his methods.
    I really hope your right but If he can't we won't get next to near the championship title again this year which for Manchester United is unheard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

has anybody got their season ticket in the post yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I really hope your right but If he can't we won't get next to near the championship title again this year which for Manchester United is unheard of.

I think a Championship run is beyond us but a Cup win with Top 4 is well within grasp.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Why are you insisting on using stupid arguments for this discussion?
    How is it stupid? Without quality we won't get close to winning the CL next year, we might not even get the opportunity if we don't get a few players to qualify this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Madrids team announced already.

Real Madrid C. F. ‏@realmadrid 8m
    Manchester United - Real Madrid: Casillas, Arbeloa, Pepe, Ramos, Nacho, Carvajal, Illarra, Xabi Alonso, Modric, Bale e Isco #RMTour2014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

has anybody got their season ticket in the post yet?

Couple of UK-based lads on a United group I'm in on Facebook got theirs today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Couple of UK-based lads on a United group I'm in on Facebook got theirs today.

cheers...we should get ours next week so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

cheers...we should get ours next week so.

Are you in the fat club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

United Report ‏@UtdReport 28s
    Times & Guardian: Jonny Evans has emerged as a serious contender for #mufc captain, after spending close to 10 years at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Ground breaking stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Do you think we won't sign anyone before we're playing CL football again then? Cause that's what it feels like you're arguing :S

Wonder what we are waiting for this time? Is the world cup over yet?
    I think a Championship run is beyond us

If only we had some sort of opportunity to improve the squad and perhaps change that. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Well now that wouldn't be hard would it.. 5th would be an enormous improvement.

You think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wonder what we are waiting for this time? Is the world cup over yet?

Given LVG has openly said he was using the pre-season to assess, and then transfers will come once they get back, I'd imagine that....

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Ground breaking stuff

Yeah I'd consider the next United captaincy to be a bit of an important matter.

Given LVG has openly said he was using the pre-season to assess, and then transfers will come once they get back, I'd imagine that....

You sure it wasn't Moyes that said that?

• Advertisement

Irgendweg..

...solten den 'fat man'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I see Tom McDermott has deactivated his Twitter account. One less place to go for United-related fantasy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Evans must be seriously impressing Van Gaal, it's good to hear but still I'd rather RVP captain than anyone else we have at the moment

You sure it wasn't Moyes that said that?

So is the idea that you have already lost faith in LVG? That you don't trust him any more?

Any one but Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Evans must be seriously impressing Van Gaal, it's good to hear but still I'd rather RVP captain than anyone else we have at the moment

If Evans can stay fit, I'd be happy enough with him being captain.

So is the idea that you have already lost faith in LVG? That you don't trust him any more?

I'm not a LVG fanboy no, he gets to earn my faith just like anybody would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Zico wrote: »
    Any one but Rooney.

Ye all the other leaders at the club

Would personally like to see De Gea get it but y'know he won't.

Taok wrote: »
    You think?
    I suppose it all depends on context - we have signed two quality players and lost Vidic, Evra and Ferdinand alone ... Going from 7th to 5th with this current crop of players would be an improvement albeit we hope to push into the top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Would personally like to see De Gea get it but y'know he won't.

De Gea should be way down the line of potential captains

De Gea should be way down the line of potential captains

Ain't a very big line in the first place tbh.

De Gea isn't a leader at least not yet , RVP is a good option for the time being unless somebody steps up to the plate IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Evans is the most vocal player left at the club, hopefully he gets it.

I'm not a LVG fanboy no, he gets to earn my faith just like anybody would.

And that's fine. But it's hard to believe someone can earn your faith and trust when it feels you have a pitchfork sharpened and in your hand already....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Bild are running with a €60 million deal for Vidal now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Bild is a German red top though, no more reputable than The Mirror & its ilk

And that's fine. But it's hard to believe someone can earn your faith and trust when it feels you have a pitchfork sharpened and in your hand already....

It won't be particularly hard to earn my faith, but at this minute in time it simply has not been done.

Its two weeks until the start of the season and our squad is in bits, I don't have pitchforks ready but lets call it like it is.

That bild article is quoting gazetta dello sport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

It won't be particularly hard to earn my faith, but at this minute in time it simply has not been done.

Its two weeks until the start of the season and our squad is in bits, I don't have pitchforks ready but lets call it like it is.

In bits? The best 2 strikers in the league, one of the best players mata, the best goalkeeper, one of the best left backs, class midfielder Herrera and one of the worlds best managers!

bangkok wrote: »
    In bits? The best 2 strikers in the league, one of the best players mata, the best goalkeeper, one of the best left backs, class midfielder Herrera and one of the worlds best managers!

Go on, keep talking, tell us about the rest of the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There's an ongoing separation here that some fans want LVG and Woodward to compile a list of names that on paper can win the EPL this year while LVG and Woodward may not have that as a real goal at all.

United can certainly buy a bunch of players to improve the optics of the squad list before the EPL kicks off, but that's not necessarily - I would suggest isn't at all - conducive to the LVG modus operandi of building a club up in a particular image.

Not to say United don't need a few heads to flesh out the squad for the season coming in case of injuries etc., but if you want Vidal and Hummels because they'll win you the league this year you'll have to accept that that's probably not what the game the people in charge of the club are playing this week, next week or for the season ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That bild article is quoting gazetta dello sport

Bild quote Gazzetta and Gazzetta probably quote some Chilean tabloid.

0bf26c4a-eaec-4448-b685-5f66600359ef.jpg

"Shít moves in circles, Rand."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

So Wenger admits Vermaelen could leave. Personally although he is a good player I would rather Jones/Evans ahead of him. I really see Jones as potentially a brilliant centre back, and Evans is a good vocal player who can take control in the centre. Not sure what I think of Smalling yet but who knows he might end up having a good season. Keane looks promising too.

Vermaelen is no doubt a good player but has had a tough time with injuries and is 29 in November, think I'd rather focus on giving some of the younger lads a chance or buying a younger proven centre back that can have long career with us.

Anyone know when Carrick is estimated to be back from injury? 8 weeks is it? I wouldn't mind if we waited until January to sign another CM.

keane2097 wrote: »
    There's an ongoing separation here that some fans want LVG and Woodward to compile a list of names that on paper can win the EPL this year while LVG and Woodward may not have that as a real goal at all.

I have never said I expect LVG to assemble a league winning team immediately, and I don't think I have ever even said I wanted Vidal or Hummels, I try not to comment on individual targets. I just want the club to address the clear, obvious deficiencies in the United squad.

As I said before, if LVG thinks he can work his magic and get Tom Cleverley and Antonio Valencia playing to United standard then I believe he is in for a rude awakening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Fully expect the players to all improve on their performances from last year. Serious case of the tail wagging the dog all season and thats unforgivable, something i never thought i'd see in a utd player.

Player power can be rotton and i'd hope LVG will weed out the troublemakers and sell them on (Evra the first)

This no bull**** policy that LVG has will hopefully wake up a few players to the fact that they're not irreplacable. Can see VP and Rooney having great seasons. Can see us making top three comfortably

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if we waited until January to sign another CM.

This is the mentality I don't understand, does nobody learn from the past around here?

You don't mind waiting until January, but come October we will be getting overrun in midfield yet again and you will be wondering where it all went wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭weisses

I have never said I expect LVG to assemble a league winning team immediately, and I don't think I have ever even said I wanted Vidal or Hummels, I try not to comment on individual targets. I just want the club to address the clear, obvious deficiencies in the United squad.

What where the clear and obvious deficiencies last year compared to the last time they won the league regarding the players ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

This is the mentality I don't understand, does nobody learn from the past around here?

You don't mind waiting until January, but come October we will be getting overrun in midfield yet again and you will be wondering where it all went wrong!

Personally the player I think would suit the most is Strootman. Realistically if we want him we will have to wait until January.

Fletcher has a lot of experience and alongside Herrera I think could do well enough. Though if Carrick was fit I would have more confidence in his partnership with Herrera.

It's not as if we have a truly terrible midfield. Most of them were premier league winners little over a year ago. I'd imagine VG would find a way to get the best out of players who have already won the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement