Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm afraid all I would be able to invest at the moment is around €25 and a Big Lebowski DVD, how many shares will I get for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I have never said I expect LVG to assemble a league winning team immediately, and I don't think I have ever even said I wanted Vidal or Hummels, I try not to comment on individual targets. I just want the club to address the clear, obvious deficiencies in the United squad.

As I said before, if LVG thinks he can work his magic and get Tom Cleverley and Antonio Valencia playing to United standard then I believe he is in for a rude awakening.

I think that's a fair POV for sure, but I would also say it's not the only one it's reasonable to hold.

I dunno, I think it's pretty likely that LVG sees this season as a setup season of sorts, with the attitude that he wants to get the system up and running first, and then populate it with the players he decides he needs later. Like, I think it's pretty unlikely that he thinks he's getting to ECL finals with Cleverley and no defensive cover, but he's not as worried about that this year as the fans are, as unpalatable as that may be.

In terms of signings, what would you be happy with from here - two versatile defenders and a good MF or something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

showing the training on mutv now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Press conference hopefully coming up soon too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I really like what I'm hearing about VG new training structure. It sounds very organised and should show improvements on the pitch.

The camera part I found the most interesting. I was reading an article earlier how Johnny Evans was saying about VG recording the trainings with cameras and then showing players were they went wrong. Very good idea to keep players giving 100 percent and Johnny said it was helping for defensive positioning. I think it's common in some clubs but hasn't really been a feature in United before. Obviously players will work harder if they know they are constantly under the spotlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Yeah I'd consider the next United captaincy to be a bit of an important matter.

Wasn't having a dig at you, just hardly a major shock if Evans was to be named captain, It's going to be Van Persie though i feel, Van Gaal surely going to go with the tried and trusted but then again you never know with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I really like what I'm hearing about VG new training structure. It sounds very organised and should show improvements on the pitch.

The camera part I found the most interesting. I was reading an article earlier how Johnny Evans was saying about VG recording the trainings with cameras and then showing players were they went wrong. Very good idea to keep players giving 100 percent and Johnny said it was helping for defensive positioning. I think it's common in some clubs but hasn't really been a feature in United before. Obviously players will work harder if they know they are constantly under the spotlight.

Nani you have now been evicted from Big Louis house goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Zico wrote: »
    Are you in the fat club?

whats that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Press conference is on live now, Rooney and Van Gaal on at the minute, on MUTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Smalling out of Madrid match. Thats the start of it now.

• Advertisement

I have to say I'm loving Van Gaals presence in these early press conferences, so different from Moyes' conferences, so confident.

Think it'll take him awhile to start saying "we" instead of "Manchester United" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

He's pretty relaxed about transfers anyway. Said there's still a month left to bring in players.

Think it'll take him awhile to start saying "we" instead of "Manchester United" :pac:

It actually said "we" in his first press conferences already, was delighted to hear it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

WE ARE SIGNING PLAYERS!!!!

WOOP WOOP:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

irishfeen wrote: »
    Now explain that one like a good man.. I supported Moyes because the team was inept ... With this team I will support LVG every day of the week too... Teams across Europe have been strengthening year on year while we have stood still.
    irishfeen wrote: »
    How is it stupid? Without quality we won't get close to winning the CL next year, we might not even get the opportunity if we don't get a few players to qualify this year.

I'm not going to jump through your hoops to explain the obvious to you any more. It's clear you want to pretend that you are too stupid to understand the flaws in your arguments when they're presented to you. So there is no point in explaining anything to you.

Loved Ronaldo's interview on mutv. He'll defo be back before he retires!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Tomorrow there will be a story in Gazetta quoting Bild quoting Gazetta quoting BBC quoting Gazetta, saying that United are about to launch a 47 million pound bid for Vidal.

Tomorrow there will be a story in Gazetta quoting Bild quoting Gazetta quoting BBC quoting Gazetta, saying that United are about to launch a 47 million pound bid for Vidal.

I guess then that this is me quoting you quoting Gazetta quoting Bild quoting Gazetta quoting BBC quoting Gazetta.

Will this be enough to finally land Vidal??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

What did he say?

Huh? Where you getting that from Kew? All I can see from the press conference regarding new players is the following...
    "Want to see players first, honest chance. Still a month to go. We are winning everything, maybe we don't need new players"

I pray to almighty fúck for everyone's sake, not least this thread's, that the bolded part was said tongue-in-cheek!

Spotted Luke Shaw favouriting this on twitter :pac:
    Luke Shaw ‏@LukeShaw3 Jul 27
    @DejanLovren05 congratulations mate , you deserve it! All the best. I will see you soon
    Adam McKola @AdamMcKola
    Oi @LukeShaw3 he's the enemy now, lad. Less of that ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What time is the real game tomorrow in Irish time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Spotted Luke Shaw favouriting this on twitter :pac:

I wonder will he feel more like he's playing his old club against Southampton or Liverpool this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

People joked about it at first but it is actually getting to the stage where it would have been cheaper for Liverpool to just buy Southampton as a club outright instead of paying a fortune for their players.

And Henry is a true businessman, don't think he wouldn't have done it if he could. It's a good thing there are rules against multi club ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mars Bar wrote: »
    What time is the real game tomorrow in Irish time?

Around 9pm.
    Could be 9.06pm to be exact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

@skysportsnews

"Louis Van Gaal thinks Manchester United may not need to make any more signings - hear from Van Gaal from 7am on #SSN"

MELTDOWN !

Oh dear!!

Oh god that tweet is real. The calm before the storm right now before people wake up. Surely he is just going this to not have people expecting to much and hoping to drive prices down a bit or something.

Ggood point.

I do thonk we will buy at least a CB

After that its touch and go.

Then again quotes to press are alwaysbit untruthful.

• Advertisement

Ggood point.

I do thonk we will buy at least a CB

After that its touch and go.

Then again quotes to press are alwaysbit untruthful.

I'd be surprised if there's any truth in that.

Another CB is needed at Utd particularly if playing a formation with 3 of them in the team this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Van Gaal is only yarning and feeding the press guff, I'd be very surprised if he actually believes that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭billyhead

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if there's any truth in that.

Another CB is needed at Utd particularly if playing a formation with 3 of them in the team this season.

It will be Vermalen. Not very inspiring:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Lads he is just going for the FutureGuy approach. In all seriousness after Eds posturing regarding signings what did he expect to happen when negotiating transfer fees? Although we have made two solid signings, I think without 2-3 more players signed, I can't see how he could consider this window a success!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Woodwards chest thumping interview seems a lifetime ago already. :(

It's a numbers game at this stage, not even about bring top players in. Defenders are needed. As simple as that. The squad is bare at the back.

Also a midfielder is needed to cover Carricks place and should have been a priority as soon as he picked up that injury. Hell midfielders were needed even if Carrick was fit.

Tick tock tick tock. Deja vu déjà vu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Fletcher has a lot of experience and alongside Herrera I think could do well enough. Though if Carrick was fit I would have more confidence in his partnership with Herrera.

It's not as if we have a truly terrible midfield.

Yes, we do have a truly terrible midfield. In terms of what is supposed to be one of the worlds premier clubs we have an absolute disgrace of a midfield chock full of players the other clubs wouldn't have near their teams.

It is now getting into seasons/years since we were truly able to compete in the midfield area against any half-decent team, even when we were successful it was despite the likes of Carrick and Cleverley not because of them. I am astounded that anybody could be happy to enter the season relying on that collection of chuckleheads yet again, they have failed repeatedly and they will fail again.

I mean, you want to start the season with Fletcher or Carrick! They are done, counting on them this season in just insane.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    I dunno, I think it's pretty likely that LVG sees this season as a setup season of sorts, with the attitude that he wants to get the system up and running first, and then populate it with the players he decides he needs later. Like, I think it's pretty unlikely that he thinks he's getting to ECL finals with Cleverley and no defensive cover, but he's not as worried about that this year as the fans are, as unpalatable as that may be.

In terms of signings, what would you be happy with from here - two versatile defenders and a good MF or something like that?

Its distinctly unpalatable. For obvious reasons we won't compete in Europe but we are still not a plaything for LVG to tinker around with. He should be well able to plan long term but at the same time take the necessary steps to fix some clear and obvious problems within the squad.

Of all the talk on this board over the last year about what needed to be done to the team, I have to admit I didn't think we would reach a stage 2 weeks before the season starts where its suggested the manager wants to worry about players later.

In terms of signings I would indeed be happy with two versatile defenders, though I'd be thinking more Vertonghan quality than Vermalean. In midfield we need at least two signings, the higher quality the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Giggs thinks Cleverley is important and doesn't want to lose 12 years of experience at the club. It's looking like Cleverley is being pushed hard by Giggs.

I think more signings will be made but not until players are sold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Here is the link from his presser last night , I also think that the transfer comment was very tongue in cheek.

Van Gaal & Rooney Press Conference Ahead Of Real …: http://youtu.be/VX5tlzKJE5A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

quick question for anybody who bought the jersey off the united site, how long did it take for normal shipping for you and did you leave a number, I didn't leave a number for my order but if its being shipped by dhl I'm guessing I should have left my number

Lol, its starting to become as close as possible to last summer all over again, taking into account the need to sign players is greater this year.

Still think theres a signing coming in the form of Vermaelen but if thats our lot its been an appaling summer once again.

The difference one top quality signing wud make to playing level is unreal so why the f*ck can we not close any deals?

Since May ive had the feeling that internally in the club they blamed Moyes for everything and there is a genuine belief that the players were not to blame, hence the lack of real action to replace them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

The difference one top quality signing wud make to playing level is unreal so why the f*ck can we not close any deals?

Woodward. The man is an incompetent fool when it comes to keeping his mouth shut and transfer dealings.

Woodward. The man is an incompetent fool when it comes to keeping his mouth shut and transfer dealings.

Careful now, the man is a king to some on here, you are not allowed slag him off.

Im starting to think the main reason for our problems at the moment are financial ones - all is not as rosey as is being portrayed and we are under pressure to reduce wage bill before signing players.

And despite what people say, the lack of champions league football is a problem. Woodward wants one big signing and may still get him but as i said a few days ago the majority of our big spending will come next summer.

For now the focus is on van gaal and the young lads getting us to top 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

glued wrote: »
    Giggs thinks Cleverley is important and doesn't want to lose 12 years of experience at the club. It's looking like Cleverley is being pushed hard by Giggs.

I think more signings will be made but not until players are sold

There is no room for sentiment in football.

Cleverley should be turfed out...he's miles off the standard that a Manchester United player should be at.

If Ray Wilkins was "the crab" for his lateral movement and passing, Cleverley is the crushed crab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Shur if Anderson is fit that'll be like a new signing

Squad is too large (sorry Anderson pun intended) at moment, i'd expect to see some exits very soon also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

To be fair it is going to be difficult to attract top class signings such as the likes of kroos, reus, vidal, hummels etc without the lure of champions league football and the only way to do it is by throwing shed loads of cash at them which in turn can upset the apple cart for the likes of Rooney, RVP, Mata etc if these lads are getting more money than them

edit

Or as Homerjay points out above maybe ye cant afford the type of cash it would take to tempt these players without the champions league carrot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

shaw, Herrera and Vermalen will be a terrible window IMO. There seems to be deals out there but that may be subjecture. Chelsea, City & Arsenal have strengthened but we, who came 7th have not added enough. Next season will be tougher than people think with this squad.

Yes LVG will make a difference but a better first team is needed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Shur if Anderson is fit that'll be like a new signing

If we're reduced to this, we're f..ked.

The season starts in two weeks. We're goosed with this squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Hopefully he was being sarcastic.

I need more straw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

The real quotes:

"First I want to see the players who I have and give them an honest chance."

"We still have a month to go [before the transfer window shuts] and we are winning. Maybe we don't need other players."

It's just a sensational headline to get traffic. Some fans would genuinely prefer we sign no one so they can go into meltdown mode because they're just miserable people in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

If we're reduced to this, we're f..ked.

The season starts in two weeks. We're goosed with this squad.

Where do you think this squad would finish? Battle for 4th I reckon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement