Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Arturo...come to Manchester and light out darkest hour.

If Woodward has been wasting time trying to sign Cavani, he should be thrown off the roof of the North Stand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Where do you think this squad would finish? Battle for 4th I reckon

Up against it.

A couple of injuries and we're in big trouble.

City and Chelsea should be head and shoulders above the rest. Arsenal should get third. It'll be between us, Liverpool and Spurs for 4th. With our front three and Liverpool fighting on all fronts, you'd have to fancy us but again, injuries could be the killer.

I'd say 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Some fans would genuinely prefer we sign no one so they can go into meltdown mode because they're just miserable people in general.

Maybe you feel miserable and this is what you want, but no true United fan wants us to sign nobody or has anything to gain by another transfer window like previous. We need players and thats a fact, if it hsppens every1 will be delighted.

To even suggest what you are suggesting is insane to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

City have only purchased Fernando, going to be interesting up top. Chelsea still need strikers. Liverpool have spent the most, Spurs not much so far and Everton with almost the same team as last year

I have a weird feeling Arsenal might sneak it. Obviously can't see us challenging with our squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

For what its worth, id take no notice of LVGs comments, he said a few days ago he needs a defender and the squad is broken.

He knows we need players. He could also be putting pressure on Woodward to deliver on his promise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Some fans would genuinely prefer we sign no one so they can go into meltdown mode because they're just miserable people in general.

You can't honestly believe that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

The real quotes:

"First I want to see the players who I have and give them an honest chance."

"We still have a month to go [before the transfer window shuts] and we are winning. Maybe we don't need other players."

It's just a sensational headline to get traffic. Some fans would genuinely prefer we sign no one so they can go into meltdown mode because they're just miserable people in general.

They're already having a meltdown so there's no need to wait til the window closes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Im starting to think the main reason for our problems at the moment are financial ones - all is not as rosey as is being portrayed and we are under pressure to reduce wage bill

Whilst I see where your coming from all Uniteds budgets pointed towards a significant increase in wage costs. We've already knocked millions from the books with Rio, Vidic and Evra leaving so we have obviously planned on signing players. This is either an issue with Ed not being able to close a deal or that all the work is going on behind the scenes to get top targets. I hope it's the latter and we actually close the deals this year.

As for LVGs comments I very much regard them as tongue in cheek. Which for the board is a shot across the bow. He won't be slow in criticising the club if he feels he is not supported as we have seen already.

• The "No more signings" news this morning makes me sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Today's @la_stampa reports that Juve's #Vidal is looking for a way to go to play for #mufc, his agent will be in Italy this weekend.

LA Stampa is supposed to be quite reliable for Juve Transfer news

• Advertisement

• Today's @la_stampa reports that Juve's #Vidal is looking for a way to go to play for #mufc, his agent will be in Italy this weekend.

LA Stampa is supposed to be quite reliable for Juve Transfer news
    To be honest Vidal seems cocky the way he's being going on of late...

He's getting a bit of Tony Kroos syndrome

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The "No more signings" news this morning makes me sad :(

Read the full quote and watch the conference before getting too sad...

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Read the full quote and watch the conference before getting too sad...
    I re-read it, still feel sad :( / Haven't watched the conference yet..will do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'm not going to jump through your hoops to explain the obvious to you any more. It's clear you want to pretend that you are too stupid to understand the flaws in your arguments when they're presented to you. So there is no point in explaining anything to you.
    Era look if your calling posters "too stupid to understand" you can fcuk off anyway... this is suppose to be a discussion forum where people can have a few different opinions and don't worry I don't want to hear your explanation - I don't want such a simple discussion with such a simple poster now fcuk off and stop annoying me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    To be honest Vidal seems cocky the way he's being going on of late...

He's getting a bit of Tony Kroos syndrome

Lol What the hell are you talking about? Surely you cant blame Vidal for this? Getting a bit cocky???

The man hasnt said anything to suggest that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

irishfeen wrote: »
    Era look if your calling posters "too stupid to understand" you can fcuk off anyway... this is suppose to be a discussion forum where people can have a few different opinions and don't worry I don't want to hear your explanation - I don't want such a simple discussion with such a simple poster now fcuk off and stop annoying me.

He never said anyone was too stupid to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

glued wrote: »
    Giggs thinks Cleverley is important and doesn't want to lose 12 years of experience at the club. It's looking like Cleverley is being pushed hard by Giggs.

Giggs should have been told to go off and manage in League 2 or something and learn his trade. We shouldn't have an assistant manager who played alongside any member of the squad.

Scrap the cap!

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    He never said anyone was too stupid to understand.
    He said I was pretending to be too stupid to understand - We'll i'm not pretending so I must be stupid....

anyway I want to just leave it there, in all my time here under this name and my last I have never fell out with anyone or being warned - that's not the way I am.. issue /

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ch20

Sick of the Vidal situation to be honest. Every single day since world cup we are signing him or we are not signing him. Can't wait for this saga to be over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Giggs should have been told to go off and manage in League 2 or something and learn his trade. We shouldn't have an assistant manager who played alongside any member of the squad.

Rip was waffling that he was going to be first choice if Giggs got the the job full time,.
    Really glad he didn't get the job tbh

• Advertisement

ch20 wrote: »
    Sick of the Vidal situation to be honest. Every single day since world cup we are signing him or we are not signing him. Can't for this saga to be over.
    30 days left before the window slams shut so we have a bit of it to take yet... we'll all either be very depressed or very very happy - the gap between the two though is mind bowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Just backed RVP to be top scorer, 20e with Paddy Power and every goal he scores you get a free 2e bet!

Pretty good value if RVP can put a run together

Just backed RVP to be top scorer, 20e with Paddy Power and every goal he scores you get a free 2e bet!

Pretty good value if RVP can put a run together
    Odds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Odds?

9-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Rooney is better value at 12/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Boards.ie Utd Superthread FF League 14/15 -

Code: 67640-22132 - For shots and giggles

PM me for my email address (PayPal) and the code - For super serious paid league with 10% going to charity

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

We don't have money to make transfers? Really???

Our accounts are published every year.

Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know it hasn't been the transfer window many were expecting so far but you can't deny that the team is in way better shape than it was last year.

I honestly think we could wait to strengthen the midfield when Strootman is fully fit and would rather see us focusing on bringing in a CB and a cover wing back at the moment.

Fletcher and when Carrick is fit (5 league titles for both), should have experience to help Herrera. Cleverly seems to get an awful time for one poor season, when we won the league he was being praised as the future, I'd like to think with VG player management, and the effect of Herreras passion and enthusiasm (according to other players) that he can put last season behind him and have a decent year. Surely Fletcher, Carrick, Herrera and Cleverly would be able to manage until January provided no more injuries and Carrick recovers quickly.

I know most people will disagree with this and claim our midfield is the worst in the league and that we should rush out and buy Vidal right now. Maybe I'm just ignorant but I really do feel we could wait until Strootman is fit and then add him in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Don't take it to heart mate. Pro F is obviously the Messiah of football knowledge, to question his intellect on the matter is clearly sacrilegious.

God forbid people voice there opinions on an Internet forum. I'd wager a bet that Pro Fs pent up anger stems from the realisation he's likely to remain a virgin for the foreseeable future and that bashing people behind his keyboard with his "ill ram my opinions down your throat tactics" is sadly as good as it gets for him.

I'll probably get banned now for being personal towards another poster yet he can call people stupid in every 2nd post without sanction.

• Advertisement

yermandan wrote: »
    Boards.ie Utd Superthread FF League 14/15 -

Code: 67640-22132 - For shots and giggles

PM me for my email address (PayPal) and the code - For super serious paid league with 10% going to charity

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/
    yermandan you should nearly post it everyday until it starts, people could miss it in a shot.

We don't have money to make transfers? Really???

Our accounts are published every year.

Jesus
    To be honest though there could be a massive difference between having the money and having the money released for transfer funds from the clubs hierarchy -Mata being our most expensive signing ever is in the shadow of Chelsea, City, PSG, Barca, Real etc spending.

Yet another failed window and questions IMO must be asked at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Where do you think this squad would finish? Battle for 4th I reckon

Yeah, agree battle for 4th, which it's very far from certain we would/could win with this current squad, no matter how good the LVG factor is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Don't take it to heart mate. Pro F is obviously the Messiah of football knowledge, to question his intellect on the matter is clearly sacrilegious.

God forbid people voice there opinions on an Internet forum. I'd wager a bet that Pro Fs pent up anger stems from the realisation he's likely to remain a virgin for the foreseeable future and that bashing people behind his keyboard with his "ill ram my opinions down your throat tactics" is sadly as good as it gets for him.

I'll probably get banned now for being personal towards another poster yet he can call people stupid in every 2nd post without sanction.

Ha! Brilliant!

Corvo wrote: »
    Ha! Brilliant!
    ... I don't want to like it incase I get in trouble :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Wake up to come in to people calling each other names. Grow the **** up the pair of you.

From the greatest Simpson's posts on boards.ie to this. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

• Advertisement

anov0i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Our squad is so threadbare in midfield and central defence. Imagine Herrera and any one of Smalling/Jones/Evans picks up an injury!

If we go into the season without anymore signings it will take a small miracle for us to get into the top 4.

The LVG factor will make a huge difference overall to the clubs performance this year but the club are playing a very dangerous game if they choose to leave the squad as it is.

Just like last summer we still seem to be having difficulty closing deals. Moyes can't be blamed anymore so Woodward has no one to hide behind. LVG hs already publicly said we need to sign players. He has undoubtedly given Woodward his wishlist so it's time for him to step up to the plate and get these deals done. He has already talked the talk once again with his blathering about us signing anyone we want now it's time to for him to walk the walk.

This summer is starting to have the same stink as the last one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Patience lads....the Oranje revolution is upon us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭billyhead

Quandary wrote: »
    Our squad is so threadbare in midfield and central defence. Imagine Herrera and any one of Smalling/Jones/Evans picks up an injury!

If we go into the season without anymore signings it will take a small miracle for us to get into the top 4.

The LVG factor will make a huge difference overall to the clubs performance this year but the club are playing a very dangerous game if they choose to leave the squad as it is.

Just like last summer we still seem to be having difficulty closing deals. Moyes can't be blamed anymore so Woodward has no one to hide behind. LVG hs already publicly said we need to sign players. He has undoubtedly given Woodward his wishlist so it's time for him to step up to the plate and get these deals done. He has already talked the talk once again with his blathering about us signing anyone we want now it's time to for him to walk the walk.

The worry is though that we will finish our spending with Vermaelen. I am no more a transfer muppet then anyone else but its obvious to every supporter that we need another central midfielder and possibly another defender that has the capabilitys to cover for injuries i.e 2 defenders and a top class midfielder is what we require. Woodwards all talk. His statements about money being no object came out before the season tickets went on sale and the release of the new jersey. Bit of a coincidence I think. Why cant we be like Chelsea or Real Madrid who don't pussy foot around and get their deals sorted as early as possible so that the new players can get to settle in with the club and get to know their new teammates well in advance of a new season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭dahat

People get so offended and bothered by the Internet forums, it really does baffle me tbh.

Why do folk get so bothered and upset by what is said (typed?)?

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    People get so offended and bothered by the Internet forums, it really does baffle me tbh.

Why do folk get so bothered and upset by what is said (typed?)?
    Its just annoying rather then anything, some on here seem to believe they have a right to tell others what to think - the whole point of this place is to have a bit of banter with a few different opinions - nothing is ever black and white.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yet another failed window and questions IMO must be asked at least.

How can you possibly call it a failed transfer window when there's a month left before the transfer window closes? Yesterday you were saying this squad wouldn't win the CL even though there are 2 more transfer windows after this one before we could even play in the CL. You really need to relax and trust that LVG knows what he's doing.

Quandary wrote: »

What deals are we having trouble closing? The club have told journos again and again that we're not in for Vidal. LVG said in his first press conference that there would be no new signings until he had 3-4 weeks to assess the player he already had. TBH I'm not expecting anything to happen until late August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: The whole childish spat ends now. Have already spoken to a number of posters by PM on it, and if others want to weigh in and involve themselves in it, then they will be carded straight away.

It is very simple. If you cannot be civil with another poster, and are unable to reply to them without leaving an attempt at a smart remark, then use the ignore function.

The PM approach has been tried, so now we are at inthread warning and card stage folks. Just use the thread to chat about the team you support and to have a bit of craic, and use the ignore function for anyone whose online persona you find disagreeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's just a sensational headline to get traffic. Some fans would genuinely prefer we sign no one so they can go into meltdown mode because they're just miserable people in general.

What utter drivel, and based upon absolutely nothing. God forbid some posters point out that regarding transfers United are doing the exact same ****e as last summer.

How can you possibly call it a failed transfer window when there's a month left before the transfer window closes? Yesterday you were saying this squad wouldn't win the CL even though there are 2 more transfer windows after this one before we could even play in the CL. You really need to relax and trust that LVG knows what he's doing.
    I meant up to this point of the window - of course we could go along next week and sign all round us - I'll be as delighted as everyone else.

I would also love to be proved wrong and this current squad to go on and preform wonderfully well next year and push up into the top 3 but IMO we might not have the quality to do that.

I meant up to this point of the window - of course we could go along next week and sign all round us - I'll be as delighted as everyone else.

I would also love to be proved wrong and this current squad to go on and preform wonderfully well next year and push up into the top 3 but IMO we might not have the quality to do that.

But the point is that the window can't be seen as a failure when we're only half way through. If we have the same squad on Sep 2nd then yes it can be called a failure.
    I've no delusion that the current squad is good enough to challenge, but LVG has already said that on a simple numbers we need bodies, so I'm not ready to panic yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I reckon my preministion of no more signings will come true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Is LvG playing two teams for 45mins each again this evening?

Lads the last few pages have been mostly my fault - I had a s.hite day at work yesterday and an even worse evening and was very agitated so I apologise to Pro. F for what I said to him especially this morning so Pro. F...

tumblr_mtlxao6SQS1spb464o1_500.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement