Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

ericzeking wrote: »
    Did anyone see the Herrera deal coming?

The Shaw bid was announced by Southampton and then wrapped up sharpish once the lad got back from the world cup.

Mata was done quick smart.

Whatever we're at, it'll be announced and done and done sharpish, lessons have obviously been learned.
    The rags and 'respected journalists' are just speculating on a daily basis-that list of outgoings was comical yesterday....talk about throwing enough sh!t at a wall.

All these protracted transfers and stalling by the club/manager are just in our(the fans) heads.

but united had made initial contact with Herrera over a year ago and they were in talks. shaw was the same after this season, everyone knew he was going to end up at either united or Chelsea.

there has definitely been contact with vidal and juve over his transfer without question. maybe we wont hear about a deal until it nearly done but we are def in talks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Given Van Gaal's history of falling out with the execs at previous clubs I'm surprised more isn't being made about his obvious contempt for the clubs commercial activities and public disagreement with Woodward last night about their effect on the footballing side of the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Nah it wasn't a crack man, i was just having a guess. Haven't heard gowl used in ages. Shifting, ya, standard enough.

Shfting isnt used that much anymore, I just like to use it.

Gowl has always been used around Limerick anyway.

Barcelona just signed Jérémy Mathieu for 20m. he is 31 in October!! I don't think he is anywhere near good enough to play for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Rooney and Van Gaal.

Impressive energy in all the training clips I have seen so far in manchestereveningnews and mail online site.

Even just looking at that short clip, you can see the infectious passion and enthusiasm LVG brings. His presence just oozes Commander in Chief. Exactly what this team needed.

bangkok wrote: »
    but united had made initial contact with Herrera over a year ago and they were in talks. shaw was the same after this season, everyone knew he was going to end up at either united or Chelsea.

there has definitely been contact with vidal and juve over his transfer without question. maybe we wont hear about a deal until it nearly done but we are def in talks

You dont know this, nobody does.
    Just makes you look like a silly billy.

You dont know this, nobody does.
    Just makes you look like a silly billy.

I presume the united CEO does, most of the board members and the united lawyer knows.

transfers are extremely complex talks normally go on for a few weeks, unless of course you are oil rich and just throw money at everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

i wish woodward would shut his mouth and just do some deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I presume the united CEO does, most of the board members and the united lawyer knows.

transfers are extremely complex talks normally go on for a few weeks, unless of course you are oil rich and just throw money at everyone.

None of which addresses the point Gowlasaurus made.

His point being you have absolutely no idea whats going on at the club so your assertions about "definitely being in talks" are rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Leftist wrote: »
    i wish woodward would shut his mouth and just do some deals.

But how do expect to do a deal... If you can not speak...

The_Matrix__DivX__110_0001_1769.jpg

Ya I meant anybody outside of the circle of who needs to know. When have you ever heard 'ya we are negotiating with Barca for Messi, just having a tea break now, hey go tell the media I told you confidential material which will cost me my job'

You are talking as if it is for definite and what the papers write are the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I'm not blaming Moyes for the state of the squad. I'm saying with a new manager, especially one with a very different approach, comes new transfer targets.

the main person i blame for the state of the current squad is fergie.

not woodward, not the glazers, not Moyes. Woodward and Moyes spent alot of money and didnt solve much, but fergie left us with alot of average players, that were based purely on work ethic and not alot else (Jones, Valencia, Fletcher, Welbeck, Young etc etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Mostly agree with you, but in the case of Woodward's comments it seems fair to say that he's going to be under more pressure personally to deliver now than if he'd kept schtum, and presumably the selling clubs will know this.

Oh certainly - as i said the other night, Woodwards latest comments (reported in the media last night) on top of the interview on Sunday certainly heap the pressure on him to deliver some more transfers - and arguably at least 1 big one.

I just don't think anything said makes much of a difference to actual negotiations that are hopefully taking place.

not woodward, not the glazers, not Moyes. Woodward and Moyes spent alot of money and didnt solve much, but fergie left us with alot of average players, that were based purely on work ethic and not alot else (Jones, Valencia, Fletcher, Welbeck, Young etc etc).

You should reply to Kirby then as I wasn't having that debate.
    Oh certainly - as i said the other night, Woodwards latest comments (reported in the media last night) on top of the interview on Sunday certainly heap the pressure on him to deliver some more transfers - and arguably at least 1 big one.

I just don't think anything said makes much of a difference to actual negotiations that are hopefully taking place.

Did you read the interview last night or just the headline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I wouldn't get into the blame game. Simply because we can only affect the present and plan for the future

The club is cash rich and can sign top players if the desire is there to do that.

IMO if we got Vidal, vermealen, blind and de vrij, we could win the league this season. Four signings, three of which are hardly world stars.
    But there seems to be no movement by the club at the moment, and I won't wt caught up in this idea that everything is being done in silence all of a sudden. This belief stems from how sudden the shaw and Herrera deals were done. But this was only possible because those players had agreed to join months ago.
    New signings will be different. I'm sure we would hear rumblings before deals are done.

Hopefully there are more players brought in. I'm just a little worried that that we are leaving it late.

If we do end up going with the current squad, I don't think we have a hope in hell of getting top 4 :(

• Advertisement

You should reply to Kirby then as I wasn't having that debate.

Did you read the interview last night or just the headline?

Read it.

He states, clearly, there is no budget. Any player the manager wants is within grasp. He also stated, clearly, that he doesn't like seeing the best superstars going to Spain (Real, Barca) over United.

In what way am I overegging what has been said?

I wonder how much positivity there will be in this thread if Liverpool get Vidal.

:pac:

Read it.

He states, clearly, there is no budget. Any player the manager wants is within grasp. He also stated, clearly, that he doesn't like seeing the best superstars going to Spain (Real, Barca) over United.

In what way am I overegging what has been said?

He said there is no fixed budget and that if Van Gaal wants a big signing then the club are capable of doing so, at least financially. I don't see how that puts added pressure on him to deliver a star signing, if anything it shifts the responsibility onto Van Gaal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You can point to a lot of issues and it isn't any one persons fault, but the fact is that viewed from afar our squad management from a macro/strategic perspective has been diabolical over the last five years.

Weak areas constantly neglected while money is spent on positions that were already filled, if we saw Liverpool or Leeds at that craic we would be giving them dogs abuse and rightly so. Successful teams predict their future needs and are pro-active about meeting them, United have not done that enough in the last five years which is why we find ourselves with the limited squad we currently have.

We all know the reasons and its true to say LVG has just been appointed and needs some time, just like Moyes needed time, and Fergie had no value in the market. All I hope is that the club recognises that serious mistakes have been made regarding transfer policy this last few years, hopefully they can plan accordingly to ensure it doesn't get this bad again.

Maybe that means a director of football. Frankly, considering we once again have had to start from scratch because of a new manager perhaps the continuity of a DOF would not be such a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Thats it lads, this neagtivity has dragged me down to your level
    #LVGout #whathashedoneforuslately #woodwardneedstoSTFU #wheresmyarturo #weneedvidalsassoon #signsomeoneanyoneatall #joneswelbeckcarricknanivalenciayoungareallsh1t3

*btw all off this is totally sarcastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think part of the issues I've noticed in terms of peoples expectations for transfers, is partially down to a massive mis-understanding of how transfers actually work, and what is essentially two organisations agreeing the sale of and multi-million euro asset.

I'm not going to even pretend I know the deep, inner workings, but there is enough really good information out there in the form of books and the likes that explain very well how transfers can work, and how they can't.

Has anyone come accross some good material in terms of transfers and understanding them? I've found good stuff from a range of books from journalists and players, and there was a good "Secret agent" book that kinda coincided with the secret footballer,although difficult to know if it was legit or not.

I can't help but feel people think real life transfers, are like CM01/02. I'm not trying to be condacending, I'll reiterate I've no knowledge of how deals go on, but I think like with anything (and I find I'm normally in the minority here in many areas with this philosophy) but I prefer to have a deep, intricute knowledge and understanding of something, before I go balls to the walls staking an opinion for, or against.

I nearly get the impression people think because Woodward is talking to media, on the tour and flying around, taht nothing is actually happening.

Vidal or Hummels is a big signing and a big decleration. If I see Woodward travelling to Dortmund, Germany as a whole, Chile or Italy, you can safely assume that he's making the move on either of them. But for players of lesser stature, younger players, I'd fully expect a member of Woodwards team or a contracted third party to be carrying out negotiations.

For all intensive purposes, there could be five deals being thrashed out at any one time for all we know, with face to face meetings and discussions. And from those discussions briefs come back to Woodward on details like finance and cost and availability, and then that availability is passed onto Van Gaal.

I know we can sit and be envious of Real just spunking their load to landing deals in a click of a finger, but you need to realise that our club doesn't have the luxury of having it's debt cleared by royalty, or receiving generous interest rates on credit lines from banks due to said royal ties.

I believe him when he says we have money to burn, but I also believe that he won't sanction a purchase that provides poor value.

As the days are knocking on, I actually believe Vidal is a very high possability. And that United might be simply agreeing to some PR manouvres for Juventus to save face, while they bring in some replacements and line up replacements themselves.

The sheer lack of anything accurate in the media, and the day to day change of stance, indicates me there is a blackout for the press who havnt a shred of a clue what is going on, and this could pop out of nowhere as a done deal.

We forked out £30m for a 19 year old English LB with "potential" and close to £30m on a Spanish CM who if we are honest havn't really lit La Liga alight nor played at the highest level. £60m on potential, good potential mind you.

I don't think the club will be having issues in regards to the cost for argueably one of the best CM's in the world, if we are talking about £40-50m. I think the issue here is getting Juventus to agree to sell and the player coming. And argueably United might have to play patiently here to make it happen. While obviously they want tthe player in pre-season with the new manager, being too forceful might bruise some Italian pride. Least not forget these are the Italian champions we are dealing with here, who whilst have some financial issues, still believe themselves a top club and want to return themselves to being CL competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I get the feeling if doc told us what he had for breakfast it would be 30000 characters long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

#BELIEVE

Intents and purposes Doc.

giphy.gif

TheDoc wrote: »
    I nearly get the impression people think because Woodward is talking to media, on the tour and flying around, taht nothing is actually happening.

My position is that nothing is happening because, well, nothing has happened. I judge on the facts and not Twitter rumors, and so far this summer we have signed two young players with potential and its not enough for our needs.

Thats not negativity, that just an assessment of the facts.

I sincerely hope that by the time the season starts we have addressed the squad issues, the management should be judged by that criteria. However, they don't get the credit for doing it until they actually do it.

I think part of the issues I've noticed in terms of peoples expectations for transfers, is partially down to a massive mis-understanding of how transfers actually work, and what is essentially two organisations agreeing the sale of and multi-million euro asset.

I'm not going to even pretend I know the deep, inner workings, but there is enough really good information out there in the form of books and the likes that explain very well how transfers can work, and how they can't.

Has anyone come accross some good material in terms of transfers and understanding them? I've found good stuff from a range of books from journalists and players, and there was a good "Secret agent" book that kinda coincided with the secret footballer,although difficult to know if it was legit or not.

I can't help but feel people think real life transfers, are like CM01/02. I'm not trying to be condacending, I'll reiterate I've no knowledge of how deals go on, but I think like with anything (and I find I'm normally in the minority here in many areas with this philosophy) but I prefer to have a deep, intricute knowledge and understanding of something, before I go balls to the walls staking an opinion for, or against.

Vidal or Hummels is a big signing and a big decleration. If I see Woodward travelling to Dortmund, Germany as a whole, Chile or Italy, you can safely assume that he's making the move on either of them. But for players of lesser stature, younger players, I'd fully expect a member of Woodwards team or a contracted third party to be carrying out negotiations.

For all intensive purposes, there could be five deals being thrashed out at any one time for all we know, with face to face meetings and discussions. And from those discussions briefs come back to Woodward on details like finance and cost and availability, and then that availability is passed onto Van Gaal.

I know we can sit and be envious of Real just spunking their load to landing deals in a click of a finger, but you need to realise that our club doesn't have the luxury of having it's debt cleared by royalty, or receiving generous interest rates on credit lines from banks due to said royal ties.

I believe him when he says we have money to burn, but I also believe that he won't sanction a purchase that provides poor value.

As the days are knocking on, I actually believe Vidal is a very high possability. And that United might be simply agreeing to some PR manouvres for Juventus to save face, while they bring in some replacements and line up replacements themselves.

The sheer lack of anything accurate in the media, and the day to day change of stance, indicates me there is a blackout for the press who havnt a shred of a clue what is going on, and this could pop out of nowhere as a done deal.

We forked out £30m for a 19 year old English LB with "potential" and close to £30m on a Spanish CM who if we are honest havn't really lit La Liga alight nor played at the highest level. £60m on potential, good potential mind you.

I don't think the club will be having issues in regards to the cost for argueably one of the best CM's in the world, if we are talking about £40-50m. I think the issue here is getting Juventus to agree to sell and the player coming. And argueably United might have to play patiently here to make it happen. While obviously they want tthe player in pre-season with the new manager, being too forceful might bruise some Italian pride. Least not forget these are the Italian champions we are dealing with here, who whilst have some financial issues, still believe themselves a top club and want to return themselves to being CL competitive.

*intents and purposes*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

On a less inflammatory topic, maybe it's just me, maybe I'm getting old. But we seem to be flying through United threads and starting new ones faster than ever now.

Transfers are as simple or as complicated as you make them.
    James Rodriguez had a great World Cup, Real Madrid went and bought him. Same goes Sanchez to arsenal.
    Juventus wanted Evra, they got him. Barca wanted Suarez, them got him.

We on the other hand need weeks and months of assessment and negotiation.

If you want a player, and have the money, and the player wants the move, you simply put the bid in and the deal goes through.
    The fact we're not buying players or seeing bids says it all to me.

On a less inflammatory topic, maybe it's just me, maybe I'm getting old. But we seem to be flying through United threads and starting new ones faster than ever now.

Its the only way to prove who is the better team around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I wonder how much positivity there will be in this thread if Liverpool get Vidal.

:pac:

If that happened, I'd be found hanging in my basement.

jlRqv.png

• Advertisement

Yep - before we were a really successful team and while some screamed about the need for a squad overhaul the arguement was harder to make.

Sicne Fergie left we have had the brief period of speculation about his successor, talking about the Moyes appointment, bitching about the lack of transfers last summer, then the early results, then the continuing results, then Moyes' lack of ability, then when will he be fired, then his firing, then the new manager speculation, and back to discussing a lack of transfers.

Less posts will be generated when things are going well and smoothly.

Kirby wrote: »
    None of which addresses the point Gowlasaurus made.

His point being you have absolutely no idea whats going on at the club so your assertions about "definitely being in talks" are rubbish.

United did not make an offer for the Serie A champions' midfielder but the Chilean, whose contract expires in 2016, was thought to still be on the radar.
    But the 26-year-old has ended their interest for now and said: "Only a signature is needed. My family and I are happy here and do not want to go away."

that was sept 2013.

in January 2014 david moyes went to a juventus game, I can only assume it was to look at Vidal and talk with Juventus along with one of the Utd agents or other.

May 15. Alex ferguson sits beside Conte, I bet they were not talking about the Italian weather either.

July 15. Vidal "I am already at a huge club, Juventus, which relaxes me should the Man United option fall through"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Less posts will be generated when things are going well and smoothly.

So enjoy the madness!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

My position is that nothing is happening because, well, nothing has happened. I judge on the facts and not Twitter rumors, and so far this summer we have signed two young players with potential and its not enough for our needs.

I sincerely hope that by the time the season starts we have addressed the squad issues, the management should be judged by that criteria. However, they don't get the credit for doing it until they actually do it.

We've signed 2 players in areas we need though, that is something that has been done. Looks like Zaha and Powell will be brought into the fold as well so. If we get another CB and a versatile defender that can cover both FB slots I think we'll be reasonably set up at the back. If strootman is lvg's target then it does make sense to wait for christmas for him, gives more time to look at the requirements of the squad.

Is anyone else worried about getting vidal right now, if the issues around he knew are still there and he was rushed back I dont want him tbh, it'll just be another (dearer) hargreaves.

Transfers are as simple or as complicated as you make them.
    James Rodriguez had a great World Cup, Real Madrid went and bought him. Same goes Sanchez to arsenal.
    Juventus wanted Evra, they got him. Barca wanted Suarez, them got him.

We on the other hand need weeks and months of assessment and negotiation.

If you want a player, and have the money, and the player wants the move, you simply put the bid in and the deal goes through.
    The fact we're not buying players or seeing bids says it all to me.

like I said most transfers take a long time to trash out, apart from the clubs that have no care for money and are not run properly like real Madrid PSG etc...

James Rodriguez was a super player before the world cup, United were after him but didn't want to get into a bidding war with Monaco. He would have been on real madrids radar long before the world cup, he had a super season in france.

sanchez moved to arsenal quickly as Barcelona needed the money to pay for the suarez deal. Suarez already wanted out the year before that so a lot of the ground work would have already been in place.

Evra the same, he wanted to leave the last 2 years but its was fergie that persuaded him to stay. His move to juve was probably done around the same time as vidic to inter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I’m actually starting to be more than sceptical about united’s plans for the remainder of the transfer window. I was giving the benefit of the World Cup excuse (although since all bar 4 teams have been out since July 4/5 I think this is just that – an excuse) and VGs arrival although again I don’t believe for a minute that he wasn’t working on the makeup of his united squad since April but now I smell a rat like last summer.

Lets first look at the potential exits. Surely VG would have made up his mind on the likes of Bebe and Anderson months ago. They should have been moved on by now. I can understand him wanting to have a closer look at Cleverly, Kagawa, Nani, Wellbeck, Smalling et al before deciding where to go with these but I hope there is already feelers out there in terms of interest and they’re ready to go if they decide to sell.

In terms of purchases it’s a case of same old same old. United think about signing someone, Chelsea, Madrid and Barcelona just do it. I don’t think this is down to money. With the Spanish clubs its appeal and the player hesitation in jumping on. Chelsea obviously can throw more money at it but the London thing must obviously be worth something too or else on oligarch sorts it with the other oligarch and the player is just told where he’s going and that’s how they get things done so early in the summer while United seemingly dither.

I don’t see Vidal or Hummels coming as they’ll hold off for somewhere more attractive. It certainly wont be Lverpool though! For all Woodwards talk about transfer records I think it much more likely that United will end up with a few 10/15 M players from the Dutch League and maybe Varmaelen than any elite players in the foreseeable future.

Hope I’m wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

one very interesting point i saw raised yesterday was about our injuries and how LVGS obsession with perfection and change could have a positive impact there - our injury record over the past 6 years has been shocking for a team who invests so much into injury prevention.

i get the feeling that when Moyes took over last year, he got a big shock in terms of how poor things were behind the scenes as if LVG isnt happy with certain things after 2 or 3 days, even after moyes made certain improvements.

what was the quote Daniel Taylor had when describing the club in Fergies reign, "run like a sunday league team" or something like that???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Anyone else feel that Nick Powell is the exact type of player Van Gaal loves developing into his mould and trying to make him a star?

James Rodriguez was a super player before the world cup, United were after him but didn't want to get into a bidding war with Monaco. He would have been on real madrids radar long before the world cup, he had a super season in france.

sanchez moved to arsenal quickly as Barcelona needed the money to pay for the suarez deal. Suarez already wanted out the year before that so a lot of the ground work would have already been in place.

Evra the same, he wanted to leave the last 2 years but its was fergie that persuaded him to stay. His move to juve was probably done around the same time as vidic to inter.

This is why you get picked up on stuff man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I get the feeling if doc told us what he had for breakfast it would be 30000 characters long

Bowl of Frosties and milk ;)

How can you say nothing is happening? That makes no sense. Your basing facts of the fact that the club have not announced an official deal?

So from this, you have somehow jumped to "total inactivity". You know that makes absolutely no sense. Maybe you've phrased this wrong, or I'm not getting your point. But if you think because we have not announced a deal, or intention, that nothing is happening, that's silly.

United tend to not outline our transfer business publicly. Up until last season anyway. I'm 100% confident that discussions, enquiries and even negotiations are taking place each week.

Brendan Rodgers yesterday was flatline denying any links, ties or possabilities for Loic Remy joining. The Loic Remy who himself was quoted as saying he is organising travel arrangements to join the team in the states to perform a medical. After quotes from Redknapp outlining a fee had been accepted from Remy and the final parts are being finalised. Yet Rodgers was acting in his presser like they weren't linked.

While I appreciate relying, or taking for granted rumours on Twitter and papers can lead people astray and be rubbish, there is just as much smoke, mirrors and rubbish from clubs themselves.

Apologies if I have taken you up on the wrong point, but what I took from your post was that because we have a) Not made a signing and b) Not announced intention, that nothing is happening, as a wildly ignorant and stupid comment to make.

Taking aside Woodwards direct quote that transfer targets are being actively pursued and enquired about, less then two days ago : /
    *intents and purposes*.

What's this, I think its going over my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

In the post he quoted you said "intensive purposes".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The phrase is "for all intents and purposes" not "for all intensive purposes".

Fletcher is captain for the tour apparently. Planning for the future... Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

*intents and purposes*.

You gobobbled Doc.

May 15. Alex ferguson sits beside Conte, I bet they were not talking about the Italian weather either.

I thought they were discussing Evra?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90397894&postcount=3442
    July 15. Vidal "I am already at a huge club, Juventus, which relaxes me should the Man United option fall through"

The Man Utd part was added to that quote by a journalist. There's been plenty of quotes from Vidal stating that Real are also interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Fletcher is captain for the tour apparently. Planning for the future... Jesus wept.

LVG was very clear about the fact that he hadn't chosen a captain for the upcoming season yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Anyone else feel that Nick Powell is the exact type of player Van Gaal loves developing into his mould and trying to make him a star?

Just like Anderson would be the type of player Moyes loves.

Is anyone else worried about getting vidal right now, if the issues around he knew are still there and he was rushed back I dont want him tbh, it'll just be another (dearer) hargreaves.

Of course I'd take him the same way I'd take any top player, but I'm not as invested in him as some others are.

I'd actually prefer to see us going after the next great midfielder than the current one, so I think we should be looking at the younger players like Strootman and Carvalho. Like I said earlier, we need to be looking at the bigger picture transfer wise, think about where we want to be in 3/4 years.

If there is any risk attached to somebody like Vidal then we'd be better taking the risk on a younger player instead.

What's the issue with that? He's a model pro, he wont be captain (playing one at least) during the season so it leaves Van gaal to pick the captain without an issue of giving the captaincy to one of the other guys and taking it off him again at the start of the season.

Giggs mention Jones, Evans and Smalling as candidates.

Really, there are so few good candidates.

Rooney, RVP and Carrick, imo.

Rooney wouldn't be my choice, he is not an encouraging or leading player imo.
    RVP would be seen as LVGs pet, but I think he'd be a good captain.
    Carrick - elder statesman of the side, but not a leader.

RVP is the only option for me.

None of Jones, Smalling, Evans or Fletcher are certain to start enough games to be captain.

The captaincy issue is another sign of the problems in the United side; as much as needing top quality additions, we need a leader and driving force or two.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement