Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Pro. F wrote: »
    RE Vermaelen: In terms of quality I would be interested in seeing what he can do at that price. He's the type of CB van Gaal has said he wants, somebody who can carry the ball forward. And I think that Arsenal defence don't get coached or protected properly so they end up looking worse than they really are. He could improve dramatically in a better organised defence imo.

But the issue with him I see is the injuries. IIRC he has been a complete crock. For me, he would have to be cheaper when you consider all the risk involved.

Do you think playing in a back three would suit him better? More freedom to step up and bring the ball out as there's more cover? I think Vermaelen has a lot of good qualities but his positioning was always suspect imo. Maybe playing in a back three would get the best out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

dahat wrote: »
    People get so offended and bothered by the Internet forums, it really does baffle me tbh.

Why do folk get so bothered and upset by what is said (typed?)?

How dare you!

Take that back you scoundrel.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Thought ye might get a laugh out of this......

10482856_10152276859356732_5116286324171270218_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

RE Vermaelen: In terms of quality I would be interested in seeing what he can do at that price. He's the type of CB van Gaal has said he wants, somebody who can carry the ball forward. And I think that Arsenal defence don't get coached or protected properly so they end up looking worse than they really are. He could improve dramatically in a better organised defence imo.

But the issue with him I see is the injuries. IIRC he has been a complete crock. For me, he would have to be cheaper when you consider all the risk involved.
    I totally agree with all that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Anybody else see Ronaldo's interview with MUTV last night? he's toying with my heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I'm not that bothered by Vermaelan, he's a good squad player for LB/CB

We have enough squad players, its time to start signing top quality players and this is not a top quality signing.

Vermaelen wud be fine if there were 2 top quality players coming in, but so far this is not the case. The likelyhood is that if we sign him, thats our lot in defence and that is very very underwhelming.

I fail to see how people seem once again to be accepting second class signings and trying to make it out as a positive thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

irishfeen wrote: »
    14ipdns.jpg

Well its only 2 weeks today. First 12 games announced for TV - this might help for anyone planning on getting any subscriptions.

The Swansea/Burnley games can be got for €1 via this deal for the Setanta/BT pack - http://www.setanta.com/ie/subscribe

This post should be in the first post of the thread too.

If anyone doesn't have MUTV tonight for the Real match its being broadcast in HD on ServusTV for free on the 19.2e satellite (the European continent one) [11303 H 22000 2/3].

One of the easiest to pick up here in Ireland, even with the Lidl dishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RobertKK wrote: »

We are 4000 posts in, who is actually going to read the first post at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭billyhead

We have enough squad players, its time to start signing top quality players and this is not a top quality signing.

Vermaelen wud be fine if there were 2 top quality players coming in, but so far this is not the case. The likelyhood is that if we sign him, thats our lot in defence and that is very very underwhelming.

I fail to see how people seem once again to be accepting second class signings and trying to make it out as a positive thing.

Exactly. Why should we settle for an Arsenal reject? We need to sign top calibre players who go straight into the 1st team aka a Hummels or Vidal. We cannot settle for mediocre again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭brophs

If anyone doesn't have MUTV tonight for the Real match its being broadcast in HD on ServusTV for free on the 19.2e satellite (the European continent one) [11303 H 22000 2/3].

Should I be able to get this on Sky? Getting a no signal message.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Crap! That's 1pm here and I'll be at the l.a galaxy game.

That is a real pity. They better put on a good game for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is that channel on FTA?

brophs wrote: »
    Should I be able to get this on Sky? Getting a no signal message.
    No lad, this is on a different satellite from the one Sky use - a satellite used for sky must be moved and a sky set top box can't be used either... but believe me its simple if you had the right gear.

We are 4000 posts in, who is actually going to read the first post at this stage?

The first post in the thread would be best used for references like the fantasy league and matches on TV,
    Just my opinion, because if one wants to look for them in a thread it is rather pointless given it can be thousands of posts, and some of us forget when they were posted :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RobertKK wrote: »

will do now.

billyhead wrote: »
    Is that channel on FTA?
    Yep Free to Air and in beautiful HD too...

Details - http://www.servustv.com/at/Medien/International-Champions-Cup13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Yep Free to Air and in beautiful HD too...

The joys of a motorised satellite setup :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Reminder it can be bought and streamed for €2 at http://http://unitedlive.manutd.com
    Also supports airplay for Apple products so can be streamed to your tv with the right equipment.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Reminder it can be bought and streamed for €2 at unitedlive.manutdcom
    Also supports airplay for Apple products so can be streamed to your tv with the right equipment.
    Why would you pay to see an internet stream? :eek: :D

Well it's legal, it's the MUTV official stream in good quality and I can bounce it to my Apple TV and watch it on the plasma.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

You've got to be realistic. You can't build from where Utd are to where Chelsea / City are in one transfer window. Fighting for 3rd/4th is where Utd will be even if we sign a few players between now and the end of the window.

I'm guessing you would have said similar about Liverpool last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

If only this could be done on sky :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No change then really, he hasn't said if he wants to stay or go so bit of a stalemate now. Looks dead to me now.

• Advertisement

No change then really, he hasn't said if he wants to stay or go so bit of a stalemate now. Looks dead to me now.

I think somethings definitely happening now when a statement like that comes out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I think somethings definitely happening now when a statement like that comes out

Not to get any sort of hopes up but they also signed a CM on loan for the season today. Romulo brazilian CDM.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Blatter wrote: »
    Do you think playing in a back three would suit him better? More freedom to step up and bring the ball out as there's more cover? I think Vermaelen has a lot of good qualities but his positioning was always suspect imo. Maybe playing in a back three would get the best out of him.

I think he would definitely have more opportunity to carry the ball forward. LVG has talked about needing his CBs to do that iirc. Apparently that job of carrying the ball forward used to be a common tactic when the sweeper/man-marking back fives used to be in vogue and it makes sense (with the cover like you say). So it seems like LVG is planning on using that attacking option for when in possession with this system.

Imo, defensively they still all have to be just as good as if they were in a back four, because a lot of the time they are. My understanding of how back fives work is that there is always one of them stepping up to fill gaps in midfield, leaving a four at the back. So they all have to be able to defend properly. Plus they have to be able to defend in midfield - I don't see Vermaelen having a problem with the second part and I think he might be better at the first part than he has shown at Arsenal.

I really suspect at Arsenal that their defence isn't getting the best coaching, nor protection. There's such crazy swings in form, it seems like the players are just working it out for themselves on the pitch. So from a quality point of view (regarding the ability to defend properly when he's in the back four) I would still be interested in Vermaelen at the price, even though he has looked dodgy for long spells.

Like I say, it's the injuries that would really make me doubt the signing.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Will this thread see the signing of a new legend for the club :pac:

Play nice. Or else he'll be after you....

Louis-van-Gaal-2.jpg

MOD NOTE Post #3112 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91512519&postcount=3112
    Don't bring up other teams with the sole intentions of laughing at them; it's textbook trolling.

Manchester United Super thread Fantasy Football details: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91545602&postcount=3927

Schedule for United's games on TV.
    14ipdns.jpg
    Do I get a few pound for that then or what ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Does anyone know whether there will be a youtube live stream for the Real Madrid game tonight like there was for the inter Milan game???

• Advertisement

Not to get any sort of hopes up but they also signed a CM on loan for the season today. Romulo brazilian CDM.

That's exactly what you're trying to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

Maybe Juve are doing this to force Vidal to officially hand in a transfer request. That would mean Vidal is willing to forgo any massive loyalty fee he may have in his current contract. The club already seem to be making moves to fill their midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

There's a hero out there who's read 3999 posts of nonsense thinking a day will come when 'I'll be recognised'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

I really suspect at Arsenal that their defence isn't getting the best coaching, nor protection. There's such crazy swings in form, it seems like the players are just working it out for themselves on the pitch. .

Arsenal are not some Sunday league team. They qualify for the Champions League every year so they must be doing something right.

I would suspect Thomas Vermaelen is a crock and Arsène Wenger is licking his lips at getting 12 million for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

In the same way that one would pay for netflix. I don't see the problem. Paid services offer superior experience to the plethora of crap free streams floating about

Who knows what will happen. All we can do is speculate.
    United need two or three more of the right players to be near certain of a top 4 place for next season.
    We want Vidal...

With tonight's game getting near, I will make this prediction...
    The main thing this season is to get back into the CL and I think then major major signings will happen.
    Next season if we do what we must do - a top 4 and CL place, I can see Ronaldo returning in 12 months time, a last big fee for Jorge Mendes and the last chance really for Real Madrid to get a huge fee for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

For anyone thinking of spending money to see the Internet live stream is being foolish. There's a youtube channel called "Football Live Streams" that is showing live streams of all the top EPL teams on tour. At the moment they are showing arsenal and Benicia and they have the man utd vs Madrid game in there upcoming events list. I watched the Milan game on this youtube stream last time and I was very impressed at the quality. Just a heads up and a bit of advice

zarquon wrote: »
    In the same way that one would pay for netflix. I don't see the problem. Paid services offer superior experience to the plethora of crap free streams floating about
    Well if your living out in the sticks like some of us - it wouldn't matter if you gave the €2 or €200 because the internet so s.hite ... WTF is netflix? :pac:

Ronaldo has been suffering with Tendonitis which to me may start to effect him more as time goes on, as much as we all love him I don't know if a 30yr old or so Ronaldo with potential problems is where I want to see the club go.

Much rather see the club pay more for younger types which offer more promise with development.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Arsenal are not some Sunday league team. They qualify for the Champions League every year so they must be doing something right.

Yeah, they are qualifying for the CL so there can be no problems in their coaching and set-up.
    MANUTD99 wrote: »
    I would suspect Thomas Vermaelen is a crock and Arsène Wenger is licking his lips at getting 12 million for him

I said twice that I would be worried about his injury record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Ronaldo has been suffering with Tendonitis which to me may start to effect him more as time goes on, as much as we all love him I don't know if a 30yr old or so Ronaldo with potential problems is where I want to see the club go.

Much rather see the club pay more for younger types which offer more promise with development.

Nonsense, to sing ''Viva Ronaldo'' is reason enough alone :pac:

For anyone thinking of spending money to see the Internet live stream is being foolish. There's a youtube channel called "Football Live Streams" that is showing live streams of all the top EPL teams on tour. At the moment they are showing arsenal and Benicia and they have the man utd vs Madrid game in there upcoming events list. I watched the Milan game on this youtube stream last time and I was very impressed at the quality. Just a heads up and a bit of advice

Just had a look there at the Arsenal game. Firstly the commentary isn't in English.

Secondly the quality is pretty ****e. I'd hate to imagine what it would look like if I threw it on to my plasma. It's poor as it is on an ipad screen.

So yep, I'll continue being foolish and splash out the whole €5 I spent for all the Utd pre season tour games from a legal source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Lads just get hold of xbmc and set it up correctly will be sorted.

Lads just get hold of xbmc and set it up correctly will be sorted.

Xbmc drove me bonkers when I tried installing it, not too bad tech wise but Xbmc broke me.

Xbmc drove me bonkers when I tried installing it, not too bad tech wise but Xbmc broke me.

If u know the right add on s and repo s to install it's handy enough. I dunno how much detail I can go into on here about it though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

If u know the right add on s and repo s to install it's handy enough. I dunno how much detail I can go into on here about it though .

Can you PM the names of such addons please

Yep XBMC I always found laggy and a bit of a pain in the hole. Sources regularly stopped working, never worked or had to be constantly tweaked.

Seriously lads, we aren't talking about a years sub for Sky Sports here. We are talking €2 for an official feed.

I paid the sub for the games but the season is ahead so need solutions.

Decided to go the Winwick route myself even if the best streams are 4/5 mind behind for a quality stream.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If you're not sure if it's legal, end the discussion right now.

As is, I'll be checking the legality cause you should all know better than to start talking about legally-grey streams. There's a link to an offical stream to pay for, and after that, I'd be thinking that "free" ones are dodgy ground, so avoid it

===================

Anyway, back on topic...from the United twitter account...

It's Inter v Roma at 18:00 BST. If that game's not decided in 90 mins, we'll reach the ICC final before we kick off vs Real Madrid. #mutour

Madrid boss ruled Ronaldo out of today's game, but @Cristiano is keen to feature. "I want to play a little bit... it’s my ex-club." #mutour

• Advertisement

Gimme 5mins I'll find all right stuff and let you s know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement