Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Ian herbert tweet :

"Again, no encouragement from LVG for Chicharito. Said that he played the wrong pass in the build-up to the goal he scored #mufc"

Chicharito is up against it,it seems.
    Whats the advantage of these kind of comments though? Apart from LVG perfectly playing up to the arrogant dick persona that the media laps up, I really cant see how it actually benefits anyone.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Ordered this retro shirt from 1977 when the United store was glitched, such a beautiful shirt;

4855821_orig.jpg

Quick question nutzz what delivery option did you use? Im just curious time wise and did you add a phone number to the order?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

thelad95 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. Is there not enough sticks to beat Moyes with without using pre-season results? We rarely went first string last summer and Moyes had about a million other commitments to deal with during pre-season that he would not have been familiar with but LVG would. You can never read anything into pre-season results. Nobody would've cared less about those pre-season results if Moyes had won the league.

We beat a semi first string Madrid side tonight. A decent achievement but it was a pre-season friendly and there is people here celebrating like we've won the Champions League. For all we know, we could finish 7th again especially if we have bad luck with injuries and one or two players hit bad form.

Sorry, I hate being the dry-shíte but I just can't get that excited over a pre-season friendly :(

I m not celebrating or beating Moyes , just showing the difference in quality of the teams we ve faced this year as opposed to last year and that our performances are infintely better. Nothing to get carried away about. It may have been a weakened Madrid team tonight but we also had Zaha, Keane, Blackett and Lingard playing so we werent exactly full strength either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

We beat a semi first string Madrid side tonight. A decent achievement but it was a pre-season friendly and there is people here celebrating like we've won the Champions League. For all we know, we could finish 7th again especially if we have bad luck with injuries and one or two players hit bad form.

Sorry, I hate being the dry-shíte but I just can't get that excited over a pre-season friendly :(

For me personally, it's not so much the fact we beat Real Madrid, it's the manner in which we played that was so satisfying

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Were all entitled to our opinions but I feel it is the level of play most of us are excited about. It's been a while since we have watched United play good possession football and controlled the game.

If we can't get excited over good performances and signs of improvement in the preseason what can we get excited about at the moment?

The whole idea of preseason meaning nothing is silly in my view. Pre season is where the bulk of the preparation gets done. Whether it being what tactics suit the team the best, who are the best players to start or what positions players are able to play in. Without good preparation we will have a poor year.

I'm not targeting you here, but there seems to be a lot of people on the thread complaining about no new signings, say our team is an absolute shambles, and are predicting doom and gloom. Then when we have a good performance against the likes of Madrid brush it off as meaningless.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm going on a bit of a rant but after so much negativity on the thread at times can't we just enjoy the good moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Is Fletcher properly better at this stage? Has he put a run of appearances together like this at any stage since he fell ill?

I know there's an experimental new treatment for his condition that's being done these days, maybe he had that during his holidays.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Is Fletcher properly better at this stage? Has he put a run of appearances together like this at any stage since he fell ill?

I know there's an experimental new treatment for his condition that's being done these days, maybe he had that during his holidays.

I think he had an expensive surgery a few months ago that prevents him from relapsing. I remember him commenting on this a while ago saying most people aren't that lucky to afford the surgery or something along those lines. I think he said it around the time he was launching a charity fundraiser for people who suffer from Crohn's and Colitis.

Hopefully he can have an injury free season, would love to see him get back to playing regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I have to say he looks a lot healthier than he has done the last few years which is great to see. I'm sure when you've been through what he has, things like football pale into insignificance but I'd love to see him finish on his own terms than being forced through illness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Hococop wrote: »
    Quick question nutzz what delivery option did you use? Im just curious time wise and did you add a phone number to the order?

I used the standard delivery and it came last Wednesday, I paid with PayPal and I don't even think I included a phone number. If you chose standard delivery it comes by An Post and not DHL (as stated). Have you still not received your order from ordering on the night it was glitched?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Pro. F wrote: »

i dont think hes had more than 2 games in a row since he fell ill

i assume thats the treatment he got about a year ago but the illness took a lot out of him so even last season was difficult for him given he lost so much weight. he looks a lot healthier now though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

NUTZZ wrote: »
    I used the standard delivery and it came last Wednesday, I paid with PayPal and I don't even think I included a phone number. If you chose standard delivery it comes by An Post and not DHL (as stated). Have you still not received your order from ordering on the night it was glitched?

No I ordered that evening (tried that morning but kept getting error, that evening went throught my history and saw the jersey was still in the basket so bought it then) so I'm guessing I'm back of the queue of orders, hopefully I'll have it Tuesday after the bank holiday, cheers for the reply NUTZZ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I think he had an expensive surgery a few months ago that prevents him from relapsing. I remember him commenting on this a while ago saying most people aren't that lucky to afford the surgery or something along those lines. I think he said it around the time he was launching a charity fundraiser for people who suffer from Crohn's and Colitis.

Hopefully he can have an injury free season, would love to see him get back to playing regularly.

Iirc that surgery he talked about took place last summer. Maybe it just took him a long time to get back to full health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No matter how good Fletch is, I still would rather him as our back up midfield option. A midfield 2 of Herrera and Vidal with Fletcher Carrick and one other as back up would be ideal for me.

Haven't enjoyed Manchester United games like this in years. Genuinely excited to watch United again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Anyone who isn't delighted after that performance earlier must not have watched the match. We were fantastic.

Understrength Real? Yes, but still a bloody good team. Pepe and Ramos at the back, Casillas, Illara, Carvajal, Modric, Isco, and Bale all top players. And we played them like they were Walsall. They had a good spell in the 2nd half at 2-1 down, but we never looked like conceding. They only scored from a young player getting taught a lesson by a world class player.

Our goals were all utterly ****ing magnificent. The first goal, are you serious? Absolute magic. The ****ing ball from Kagawa to Chich then. Get absolutely ****ed. Look what happens when you play Mata and then Shinji in their proper ****ing position. Magic.

Fletch was a boss as well, he still has something to offer. We still need another CM, but if we were to bring one in, and have Herrera, Carrick and Flech all contributing, we are in good shape. Phil Jones was brilliant as well, bossed them. Tyler Blackett is really growing on me too, very composed.

That was probably the most enjoyable friendly match I've ever watched. Roll on Monday. This isn't the team that we saw under David Moyes, this is a far far better team.

610144.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Van Gaal post-match press conference

http://youtu.be/vZ5X3vUHvcE

Missed the game, saw the goals and looked like we played decent stuff again. Still think we are going to need two CBs and a top class defensive mid to get last season's top four worried about us.

Still though, green shoots are always welcome.

Good man lads. I'm just home from one of my best friend's weddings, he is a United man like the rest of us, so tonight was a good night and I'm a bit drunk now...

Yes it can be perceived as meaningless, just like the rest, but tonight United went out and dominated a 2nd string Real Madrid team that would whip 85% of the P.L. teams easily.

Most seasons, pre-season games are fairly meaningless where the main thing is to get the squad back in to shape for the forthcoming season. This season, IMO, is the most important pre-season in ages for United. A new manager like LVG, with a very specific system and philosophy, these are the games where our guys get to learn and execute those teachings.

Again, it might only be pre-season, but so far we have beaten L.A. Galaxy, Roma, Inter Milan and a strong Real Madrid team - a team who ideally would love to be going out and dominating/defeating every team they play in the U.S.

Yeah, we could get beaten 2-1 by Swansea in 2 weeks and have an unforeseen start to the season, but IMO a corner has been turned with LVG and the current squad. We do of course still need a couple of signings and still have much to prove, but our lads are playing like a team high on belief and passion at the moment.

As somebody who proclaimed "I'd rather have Klopp" just a few months ago, LVG is a revelation for me. The respect and gravitas he commands is something I did not see coming. I still do not think we will challenge for the title with the current squad, but think that LVG is a signing in himself which will, or at least should guarantee us top 4. F.F.S., he has Ashley Young and Tom Cleverely playing well, if this isn't a sign of potential for things to come I don't know what is.

I'll be keeping my expectations grounded and not getting carried away with pre-season victories, but I honestly think that at the very least the ghosts of last season's failures are exorcised and the slate is almost wiped clean; LVG pisses excellence and that is that.

Also, unrelated to what I've written above; I'm happy to see that two good posters in Pro. F and Irishfeen have temporarily resolved their differences and have moved on from yesterday's shíte. The resolution to their differences made me think of this serious tune, and fúck yis all but I'm gonna post it in dedication to them anyway :pac:...(Sorry, tried to find a link without ads, didn't happen.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Have to agree (and echo) the positive sentiments about our pre-season.

Last season turned out absolutely to be a sign of things to come; struggling to score goals and win games against far inferior opponents, clinging (sometimes unsuccessfully) to 1-0 wins. Players playing out of position and underpreforming.

This preseason, we're getting signs of LVG's philosophy, both in terms of tactics and in terms of getting the best out of players, playing some in their best positions (a far cry from "How can we fit Mata, Rooney and RVP into one team?!?!?!") and giving others a chance to prove themselves in the new system.

Under Moyes, if we'd gotten to 1-0 against Real that quick, we'd have shut down and parked the bus vs Madrid. Under LVG, we kept pushing; even at 3-1, we were trying to score more.

Watching the game last night was brilliant and fun, something I wasn't able to say about Moyes this time last year. Absolutely can't wait to see the PL start back now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I got MUTV a year ago to watch the preseason and then kept it on. Last year compared to this year in preseason are worlds apart.
    This year better teams, a massive improvement in play and passing. Just really good to watch this preseason.

Anyway, I read today on the Mail on Sunday that LVG has agreed to the sale of Kagawa, due to too many number 10s in the team, with Dortmund and Atletico the main candidates for his signature, speculated to cost half the amount United paid for him.

LVG has also got the club to not to play friendlies for millions when other teams are playing their Champion League fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

RobertKK wrote: »

Anyway, I read today on the Mail on Sunday that LVG has agreed to the sale of Kagawa, due to too many number 10s in the team, with Dortmund and Atletico the main candidates for his signature, speculated to cost half the amount United paid for him.
    Can definitely see Kagawa being sold. Hopefully if he is to go it will be to Dortmund with Hummel coming in this direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We have been brilliant overall in this preseason, even in Fergie's last years we didn't pass the ball as a team unit like we are now, building attacks from the back and counter attacks is the stuff we've all been waiting for

However it is just preseason and I'm trying not to get too carried away, there's still work to be done and more importantly players to bring in, because I don't want a shít hitting the fan moment between now and December when we look back and say we should have bought more this summer.

Things are looking good though, if I supported another top 4 team I'd be a bit uneasy about LVG's United

Van Gaal post-match press conference

http://youtu.be/vZ5X3vUHvcE

Missed the game, saw the goals and looked like we played decent stuff again. Still think we are going to need two CBs and a top class defensive mid to get last season's top four worried about us.

Still though, green shoots are always welcome.

Interesting press conference.

All the goals from last night.

http://youtu.be/_JZYw0Wnu0o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Hard to see Kagawa staying.
    I felt as last season came to a close either he or Hernandez would be leaving this year. Lo and behold, the two link up last night to finish off Real!

• Man u v pool final looks juicy...can't wait. What has impressed me most about the pre season is the players are really taking a shine to lvg's instruction. First time in a long time players look comfortable in there positions and also we are playing with bite, I could have swore that was a mid season game the way we were going at Madrid.

Amazing photo of the sheer vastness of the crowd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Why isn't Anderson, fellaini, Powell, Lawrence and Wilson on the tour?

What's the story with Valera and Henriques?

We're shy at least 1 CB
    Vidal would be a great signing
    I'd keep Kagawa unless it meant a sweetener for Hummels
    What to do with Ando, Nani and Zaha

So many players yet v unbalanced.

4 main strikers is fine
    Mata, Kag, Adnan, rooney all can play no 10
    Fellaini, Herrara, Fletch, Carrick, Clev for CMS
    Young, Shaw,Valencia and Raf for WB
    Keane, Evans,Smalling, Jones, Blackett too weak imo

No room for Nani, Ando and Zaha?

Trilla wrote: »
    Why isn't Anderson, fellaini, Powell, Lawrence and Wilson on the tour?

What's the story with Valera and Henriques?

We're shy at least 1 CB
    Vidal would be a great signing
    I'd keep Kagawa unless it meant a sweetener for Hummels
    What to do with Ando, Nani and Zaha

So many players yet v unbalanced.

4 main strikers is fine
    Mata, Kag, Adnan, rooney all can play no 10
    Fellaini, Herrara, Fletch, Carrick, Clev for CMS
    Young, Shaw,Valencia and Raf for WB
    Keane, Evans,Smalling, Jones, Blackett too weak imo

No room for Nani, Ando and Zaha?

LVG said in the press conference that Fellaini, Januzaj and RVP are still to return to the team. They all got extended holidays due to the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think Wilson has a broken arm or something.

#mufc vs @realmadrid: De Gea; M Keane, Jones, Evans; Valencia, Herrera, Fletcher, Young; Mata; Rooney, Welbeck. #mutour
    Yikes, Real are gonna thump that team

NEVER FORGET.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Amazing photo of the sheer vastness of the crowd!

The one posted on the offical facebook page was incredible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The worst hangover of my life basically means I skipped having a Saturday, and instead watched the match this morning. Stand out performer for me was Fletcher by a mile. Can't believe how good he looked spraying balls around the place. If he can manage a full season playing like that then we are in a much better position. Though bringing someone else in would be ideal.

Welbeck is making a strong case for being 1st choice too, and tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if LVG makes him first choice. He offers something that Rooney and RVP can't.

Young looks like a good option to have at LWB. I can't see us making anymore signings for this position. Likewise Blackett and Keane are really impressing at CB, I think they're definitely going to see some first team action this season, with only the likes of Vermaelen coming in.

In short, I can't fúcking wait until the season starts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

derfderf wrote: »
    The one posted on the offical facebook page was incredible.

80-20 Utd's favour id say too, Was is Marca that had the picture with all stadium mostly white? Hard to believe it's a college stadium.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I think Wilson has a broken arm or something.

Broken finger and he's played u21 games with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Young looks like a good option to have at LWB. I can't see us making anymore signings for this position. Likewise Blackett and Keane are really impressing at CB, I think they're definitely going to see some first team action this season, with only the likes of Vermaelen coming in.

In short, I can't fúcking wait until the season starts!

Yeah, I thought Blackett played quite well. I'm just sick of United having potential CB's without them becoming fully realised, whether through injury or whatever else.

This it the pre-season we deserve! And the one we need! The uncertainty going in to last year was painful. I much prefer this "Optimisim".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fletcher is my preferred player to start the season alongside Herrera. Another great game. Composed and disciplined. He said that the surgery he had completely cured his condition and, unless the medical team knows something we do not, he should be able to start every PL game.

Young continues to impress and the defense has been very mean thus far. I get the feeling that Van Gaal will build a back line that is far greater than the sum of it's parts. We may have average players at the back but, if they are drilled correctly to work as a unit, they could do really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

This is the same stadium a few years ago for its first ever night time game when Notre Dame visited Michigan. It was an amazing game and the atmosphere, even through the TV, was something I've never seen before.

http://www.michiganreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Michigan-stadium-night-game-52.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

How much game time we think januzaj will get under LVG. He really impressed me last season but I'm not sure how many chances I see him getting this season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

collie0708 wrote: »
    How much game time we think januzaj will get under LVG. He really impressed me last season but I'm not sure how many chances I see him getting this season

Would imagine if Kagawa goes, Januzaj will be our second choice #10 behind Mata.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

collie0708 wrote: »

Similar to last season I'd imagine but Ashley Young has been so impressive so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This is going to sounds racist, but that new wingback who scored the first two goals looked the spit of Ashley Young! What was his name??

Young at wingback really highlights how **** Valencia is.

Have to say I was very worried about Young at wing back. Attacking he is good. Defensively I'm not sure. I'm still not convinced about his defensive side. We'll have to wait and see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'd be delighted if Fletcher stays fit. He is the most intelligent player we have in that his positioning and use of the ball is always effective and purposeful. He always seems to choose the right pass at the right time and cover the right areas when needed. He doesn't have the showy passing skills of a Xavi or an Alonso but he's still very good. He also has incredibly high stamina when at peak fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

I much prefer this "Optimisim".

It was all doom and gloom yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

This is not to do Van Gaal a disservice, but his "common sense" approach to things is a joy to behold.

- Playing a system which allows us to play with two up front and three in midfield.

- Playing number 10s as number 10s.

- Simple stuff like having the same grass at Old Trafford and Carrington.

From what I've seen, the players seem to be 100% buying into what Van Gaal says. That's what gravitas and stature in the game get you and it's what Moyes had none of. Someone could be the best coach and manager in the world, but if they rock up to Carrington with nothing of note on their CV, the players will view him with suspicion, cynicism and maybe even contempt. Human nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Been impressed with Kagawa i really hope he stays. He will flourish in a team playing positive football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Been impressed with Kagawa i really hope he stays. He will flourish in a team playing positive football.

Only issue is he wont start

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Dare I say it, the results in the US and our style of play could help to attract signings...if Arturo Vidal is sitting in Turin thinking "it's an attractive offer but I'm just not sure" and then he sees that, it's gotta be helpful.

They get a lot of grief on these pages, but credit where credit is due - Fair play to the Glazers and Woodward for whacking Moyes when they did. It would have been very easy to lurch on with a misguided sense of "we're Manchester United...we're not a sacking club".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement