Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Good to see LVG putting the swagger back into the way we are playing. Good tempo to our game and passing much crisper and movement much better than last year.
    However IMO the downside to the improvement in our game may mean fewer players being brought in. We need a top class center half and we need a Vidal or Schweinstiger. I would not be getting carried away with the performances of Young or Fletcher. If they are first choice players for us this season then then 4th place is our only realistic target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Just seen that Vidal is on the plane to Juve's tour, I assume that means in all likelihood that the deal won't happen. I'd prefer if Utd concentrated on other targets now instead of wasting time on Vidal, same as Fabregas last summer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Kagawa wrote: »
    Just seen that Vidal is on the plane to Juve's tour, I assume that means in all likelihood that the deal won't happen. I'd prefer if Utd concentrated on other targets now instead of wasting time on Vidal, same as Fabregas last summer

Plenty of our players on tour could be off soon. Not a one way ticket to Asia...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Plenty of our players on tour could be off soon. Not a one way ticket to Asia...

True, good point, getting weary of the Vidal saga at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Dare I say it, the results in the US and our style of play could help to attract signings...if Arturo Vidal is sitting in Turin thinking "it's an attractive offer but I'm just not sure" and then he sees that, it's gotta be helpful.

They get a lot of grief on these pages, but credit where credit is due - Fair play to the Glazers and Woodward for whacking Moyes when they did. It would have been very easy to lurch on with a misguided sense of "we're Manchester United...we're not a sacking club".
    That's exactly what I was thinking too while watching on last night - certainly seems to be a very good buzz around the squad now and it very much looking like the foundations are being set for future success.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

DDG
    Raf/Val Jones Evans Smalling Shaw
    Herrera Fletcher
    Mata
    Rooney Van Persie

If we had to start the season with that team I wouldn't be unhappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Can we all agree to leave the Moyes comparisons out of the forum for a while. I know its a relevant topic but i think we all know the Moyes experiment failed and pointing it out in every post just feels a bit like twisting the knife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can we all agree to leave the Moyes comparisons out of the forum for a while. I know its a relevant topic but i think we all know the Moyes experiment failed and pointing it out in every post just feels a bit like twisting the knife.

I know where you are coming from but considering the writing off of nearly the whole squad by some on here post Moyes I think it's pretty pertinent to point out that a lot of the players are actually pretty good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Agreed. I'm too excited about the team to even think about last year. You could see many of the players were going against their instinct under Moyes but that's done with now.

Onwards and upwards.

For me,it's near impossible to avoid comparisons, both in terms of contrast of managerial styles. and in terms of how many people have been saying how this summer is identical to last. For all people have spent the last few days crying doom, the reality is the pre-season tour has created many reasons to be optamistic compared to last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

FutureGuy wrote: »
    DDG
    Herrera Fletcher
    Mata
    Rooney Van Persie

Injuries are the problem though. Some of those players are arguably not good enough to be considered first choice as it is, never mind the fact that 3 of our back 3/5 are liable to be injured at any one time and there's damn all to replace them. And does anyone really believe that Darren Fletcher will play 30/40 games year? never mind at consistently good level, likewise for his alternatives.

Don't mean to be a grouch but we've had great individual/team pre-seasons before that have deflated once the season got under way. We beat a good side last night yes, but one which is purposely behind us in terms of pre-season prep and fitness. No point in getting too carried away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Another thing to bear in mind though is that, barring last year, United often look incredible in pre-season but rarely carry the same free-flowing, effortless style into the league for whatever reason.

I'm loving what I'm seeing, but I'm making an effort not to let myself get too exited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

FutureGuy wrote: »
    DDG
    Herrera Fletcher
    Mata
    Rooney Van Persie

To be fair, thats a solid starting XI but what happens if we get a few injuries at the back. We have ZERO cover for left-back so we have to depend on a 19 year old all season. Can we really depend on guys like Keane, James and Blackett to step up if/when we inevitably get a few injuries?

I fully agree with the content of all the Moyes posts. I just feel like a lot of it is repetitive and doesn't need to be reiterated so much. As FutureGuy said it just reminds me of last season and that's something I would rather not be reminded of.

Its also only pre-season so I'm a bit cautious in proclaiming LVG's reign as a massive success in comparison to Moyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

thelad95 wrote: »
    To be fair, thats a solid starting XI but what happens if we get a few injuries at the back. We have ZERO cover for left-back so we have to depend on a 19 year old all season. Can we really depend on guys like Keane, James and Blackett to step up if/when we inevitably get a few injuries?

Young played there last night and was very good:confused: He could actually be ahead of shaw in the picking based on what they have done so far

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Is that you David?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Have to admit that Fletcher is making me eat humble pie. He has looked right back at his best.

Also would of loved to have seen Scholes in this set up noticing a lot of space for midfielders to get shots off when the ball breaks lose around the box. Hopefully the lads start taking the opportunities that fall their way and not second guessing themselves what to do.

Any word on Danny how bad the strain/pull was last night? And RVP missing the start of the season :(

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

That pass from Kagawa, wow.. Such a delicate L1/LB Triangle/Y over the top..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Anyone see this? Marca supposedly "whitening" the crowd.. If true :o

BuEVbB0CYAAdIne.jpg

• Advertisement

Young played there last night and was very good:confused: He could actually be ahead of shaw in the picking based on what they have done so far

Could see Young being more attack minded (so better against teams who park the bus) and Shaw used more defensively (for when teams are pushing against United). But yeah, looks like Young could be a back up option for LVG.

Not, mind, that I wouldn't like to see a CB coming in who could cover LB. Just that a dedicated LB backup option might not be as high a priority as previously thought.

CB is the one position we desperately need players in (for cover) right now, and LVG has already said we're working towards that end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

There is no comparison between young and Shaw. Young is an average winger who has looked good in a few meaningless friendlies. Shaw is an international attack minded fullback who was one of the best players in the pl last year. We are cooked if Young is playing ahead of Shaw when the season starts

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Robson99 wrote: »
    There is no comparison between young and Shaw. Young is an average winger who has looked good in a few meaningless friendlies. Shaw is an international attack minded fullback who was one of the best players in the pl last year. We are cooked if Young is playing ahead of Shaw when the season starts

Shaw has been shocking Preseason, gives the ball away far too often. Young on the other hand has been excellent. Based on current form Young is going to start. This isn't last season and LVG will be giving places out on form I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I'll wait and see how LVG sees things if Young starts ahead of Shaw he'll be there on merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I completely agree with the point.

Although, whilst the result of friendlies doesn't contribute the actual season, saying preparation is "meaningless" is completely wrong.

We beat Real Madrid, without a number of players, who looked a mile behind us in terms of fitness. The key thing that most of us took away, is the very encouraging football we played at times. The move for Young's goal was a thing of beauty. We had two similar moves vs Inter.

It didn't look like we were capable of that if we played against 11 traffic cones last season. Preparation is the most important part of being successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

v3ttel wrote: »
    It didn't look like we were capable of that if we played against 11 traffic cones last season.

I lol'd at this.

So true though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

The position of wingback is a lot different to a full back and shaw seems to need time to adjust to it. Another worry would be how rafael can adjust considering how little he has played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

lordgoat wrote: »
    Shaw has been shocking Preseason, gives the ball away far too often. Young on the other hand has been excellent. Based on current form Young is going to start. This isn't last season and LVG will be giving places out on form I think.

Shaw was excellent when he came on last night. Calling his preseason shocking is a complete stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The position of wingback is a lot different to a full back and shaw seems to need time to adjust to it. Another worry would be how rafael can adjust considering how little he has played.

I think with Shaw it's a fitness thing, once he gets up to speed he'll nail down the role. Young is in better shape now is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Shaw was excellent when he came on last night. Calling his preseason shocking is a complete stretch.

+1 Shaw was much better last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

RVP and Rooney playing in front of Mata is going to be a thing of beauty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I think Raf is well equipped for it. He is very good going forward, which is very easy to see when Jones or Smalling are played at RB. Also Raf has done a lot of the attacking down the right in the past 2 seasons due to Valencia passing it back/waiting for the overlap/being generally gash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Rafael is probably the person who will benefit most from this new position it is perfect for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This is the same stadium a few years ago for its first ever night time game when Notre Dame visited Michigan. It was an amazing game and the atmosphere, even through the TV, was something I've never seen before.

http://www.michiganreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Michigan-stadium-night-game-52.jpg

I watched that game. Iirc somebody (maybe you) posted a link to a video of it on the AF forum. It still remains the only college football game I've watched. Incredible game and atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

irishfeen wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was thinking too while watching on last night - certainly seems to be a very good buzz around the squad now and it very much looking like the foundations are being set for future success.

The greatest gift that Moyes bestowed was that all the 'badness' occurred in one season and there was not doubt as to his suitability. Had he got fifth, United might have taken a chance for another season.

United have one of football's big beasts in charge and this season will be excellent fun.

I'd still worry about Young and Valencia's ability to defend at the back post and to cover and mark when midfielders are doing the closing in front of them. They haven't been tested that much yet and they will be if they're still second choice during the season.

Only 8 people in for yermandan pay United Fantasy Football league - Any more takers lads and ladies, tis only €10-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91545602&postcount=3927

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'll join in this week, haven't been home much due to work but should get signed up this week.

And remember lads yermandan giving 10% of the pot to charity so the more the merrier to help out people less fortunate then ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Only 8 people in for yermandan pay United Fantasy Football league - Any more takers lads and ladies, tis only €10-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91545602&postcount=3927

I'm already in a league where you pay anywhere from €100-200 if you finish outside the top 4 so the freebie one will do me!

RichFTW wrote: »
    I'm already in a league where you pay anywhere from €100-200 if you finish outside the top 4 so the freebie one will do me!
    Haha yeah I think you get away with it rich :) best of luck in it BTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Thanks for the reminder IrishFeen!!!

Boards.ie Utd Superthread FF League 14/15 -

Code: 67640-22132 - For shots and giggles

PM me for my email address (PayPal) and the code - For super serious paid league with 10% going to charity

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

yermandan wrote: »

PM me for my email address (PayPal) and the code - For super serious paid league with 10% going to charity

When's the deadline to enter?

yermandan wrote: »

I just logged in to see what I could do with the team so I checked and expected a lot more people - Jesus Christ it will be hard to even to have a few United players in there ... Price of players seem to have gone mad.

This is a completely weird topic but I am starting to think the Chevrolet logo looks odd because its clashing with the yellow in the club crest.

I would love an updated crest brought in next season to coincide with the Adidas deal. Woodward has mentioned it in the past regarding the "football club" words being reinstated.

This is a completely weird topic but I am starting to think the Chevrolet logo looks odd because its clashing with the yellow in the club crest.

I think it clashes all right. Also the 3d type affect with the shadows and highlights makes it really stand out. We've been lucky with plain white logos for years, pity that's over now.

Here's a crest someone created. If you lost the stars on top and added in the football club words somewhere i think it would be a respectful upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Get rid of them stars for a start, we don't want to be like city having stars just for decoration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

And remember lads yermandan giving 10% of the pot to charity so the more the merrier to help out people less fortunate then ourselves.

Charity CE's tend to be a lot more fortunate than me anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

RVP and Rooney playing in front of Mata is going to be a thing of beauty

Im going to the swansea match and this was one of the things i was looking forward a bit gutted it looks like i wont get to see three of them

• Advertisement

Charity CE's tend to be a lot more fortunate than me anyway :pac:
    Now now behave yourself :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement