Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

There was a great thread here a while back that had a bunch of updated crests for premier league clubs done in a modern clean style. They looked fantastic. Can't be arsed to go looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

RobertKK wrote: »
    LVG said in the press conference that Fellaini, Januzaj and RVP are still to return to the team. They all got extended holidays due to the world cup.
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    I think Wilson has a broken arm or something.

What about Anderson, Powell, Lawerence and Valera?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Trilla wrote: »
    What about Anderson, Powell, Lawerence and Valera?

Probably all players Van Gaal feels he doesn't need to watch as they are not in the running for game time this season.

Anderson is finished at United. Others are reserves who will be loaned out if they are to get first team football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Anderson is finished, and I think there was some statement from the Club saying he was injured after people questioned his absence from the tour squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I thought Powell picked up an injury?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Forgot that Anderson had only gone to Fiorentina on loan. Any idea how he got on there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Forgot that Anderson had only gone to Fiorentina on loan. Any idea how he got on there?

Not very well, played a couple of games and then was out in the cold, thought he got injured aswell but not sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

duffman13 wrote: »
    Not very well, played a couple of games and then was out in the cold, thought he got injured aswell but not sure.

I see he played just 280 minutes for them according to Soccerway. Seems like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I see he played just 280 minutes for them according to Soccerway. Seems like it.

Ye I seen him play one game and he was hooked after about 50 mins, not great, think he played 5 or 6 games

Another big call from LVG; He is choosing to leave RVP out of the match vs Valencia and also the first P.L. game of the season vs Swansea. Understandable is his reasoning...
    “When a player has been on holiday for three weeks they have to train,” Van Gaal said. “I’m sorry but players have to train and Robin needs a full training regime behind him before he can play again.

“People can criticise me for my decision but I know what to do with players who have had three weeks’ holiday. Hopefully, Robin will get his fitness back very fast but, for now, he won’t play.

“Robin wants to play every game, I know that, but so do the other 30 players in the squad.”

Full article from The Guardian

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't consider that a big call, RVP hasn't had a pre-season so he won't be match fit. More like a common sense call.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I don't consider that a big call, RVP hasn't had a pre-season so he won't be match fit. More like a common sense call.

He who some don't want named lowered the bar so it makes it look like a big call :p

I fully agree that it is the right thing to do and I'm not one bit worried. I just like LVG's common sense approach, in not playing a big player just because he has him available and recognising that RVP will have some catching up to do in terms of game mentality as well as fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

DM-ICE wrote: »
    He who some don't want named lowered the bar so it makes it look like a big call :p

I appreciate it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Agreed. I'm too excited about the team to even think about last year. You could see many of the players were going against their instinct under Moyes but that's done with now.

Onwards and upwards.

Amen to that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Robson99 wrote: »
    There is no comparison between young and Shaw. Young is an average winger who has looked good in a few meaningless friendlies. Shaw is an international attack minded fullback who was one of the best players in the pl last year. We are cooked if Young is playing ahead of Shaw when the season starts

No. No we are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Adamocovic wrote: »
    When's the deadline to enter?

Friday week at noon my man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

stankratz wrote: »
    Another big call from LVG

Hardly a big call though is it, if there is one area of the field we are well stocked it is the forward line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Do yourselves a big favour and go and read the United v Liverpool thread.

You can taste the fear. #OurYear

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Do yourselves a big favour and go and read the United v Liverpool thread.

You can taste the fear. #OurYear

I really don't understand how fans from both teams are calling it meaningless and say they don't care about the result or performance. Surely you would want to see your team continue to do well this close to the start of the league.

No doubt the same fans will be boasting if their team wins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Van Persie might be worth a bet for top goal scorer... with a manager that knows how to manage his training schedule and not just run him into the ground we could see the form from the 12/13 season.

agh I had typed this out then checked the odds and he's joint favourite with aguero at 9/2. not exactly value

I really don't understand how fans from both teams are calling it meaningless and say they don't care about the result or performance. Surely you would want to see your team continue to do well this close to the start of the league.

I'm loving it. I'll be banned during it too. The joy of winding people up is just too good.

I've enjoyed watching all the preseason games so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Van Persie might be worth a bet for top goal scorer... with a manager that knows how to manage his training schedule and not just run him into the ground we could see the form from the 12/13 season.

agh I had typed this out then checked the odds and he's joint favourite with aguero at 9/2. not exactly value

I think two season ago I came back from a birthday party hammered and stuck €30 euro on Giroud to be top scorer! That birthday is coming up again so this time I'll try remember to log out of my PP or at least pick someone decent ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So did Vidal travel with Juve in the end ? I assume seeing as theres been nothing said the last few days its gone off the boil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭billyhead

So did Vidal travel with Juve in the end ? I assume seeing as theres been nothing said the last few days its gone off the boil.

A tweet was send from an Italian journalist that said he did not travel yet but will go over when they play in Australia;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

How many of the players who start the game from both teams will start the first league game? I'm guessing each manager will make at least 9 changes. It's a friendly, no different to a runout against a LOI team. It's for fitness and fitness only, results don't matter and never do in pre season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

In all honestly anyone expecting a signing this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

irishfeen wrote: »
    In all honestly anyone expecting a signing this week?

I am. I just hope it isn't Vermaelen.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I think I read today that Wenger said that any possible Vermaelen move away was along way off yet - tbh if he wanted to leave you would think that Wenger would publicly call him out on the matter in front of Arsenal fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Vidal, LVG will want to be back in Manchester for the unveiling etc. That's what I'm expecting!

yermandan wrote: »
    Vidal, LVG will want to be back in Manchester for the unveiling etc. That's what I'm expecting!
    I pray that your right Dan ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

irishfeen wrote: »
    I think I read today that Wenger said that any possible Vermaelen move away was along way off yet - tbh if he wanted to leave you would think that Wenger would publicly call him out on the matter in front of Arsenal fans.

I don't think Wenger or Arsenal fans particularly care if he leaves, there'd be no hard feelings here. The man wants to play, and won't do that at Arsenal where he's firmly 3rd choice. It's understandable. "Calling him out" isn't necessary.

Not that it won't be a pain - having limited backup options at CB is not good, obviously. But he's not going to be irreplaceable.

I don't think Wenger or Arsenal fans particularly care if he leaves, there'd be no hard feelings here. The man wants to play, and won't do that at Arsenal where he's firmly 3rd choice. It's understandable. "Calling him out" isn't necessary.

Not that it won't be a pain - having limited backup options at CB is not good, obviously. But he's not going to be irreplaceable.
    Aye possibly so, as long as he isn't too much I wouldn't be against him at United as he would be good backup in a long season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think we should be aiming higher than Arsenal's third choiceCB

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RayCun wrote: »

I never get hung up on stuff like that tbh. Just because a player doesn't fit into one team doesn't mean there isn't a role he could play in an other. Mata, for instance, fell away down the pecking order at Chelsea yet still is hugely vital to us....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I see what you're trying to say but Vermaelen would be first choice at United straight away.

Ah yeah but as a squad player and a backup he would be fine if he was cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I never get hung up on stuff like that tbh. Just because a player doesn't fit into one team doesn't mean there isn't a role he could play in an other. Mata, for instance, fell away down the pecking order at Chelsea yet still is hugely vital to us....

Mata didn't have the same bad performances for Chelsea that Vermaelen has had for Arsenal. He was very much the casualty of a system and role change, Vermaelen is the casualty of injury, poor form, and dare I say incapability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭dahat

J. Marston wrote: »

Talk around The Emirates today had him off to barca this week. Twitter talk from the Emirates.

Twitter talk that Fellaini is heading to Italy tomorrow to confirm the loan to Napoli.

• Advertisement

Twitter talk that Fellaini is heading to Italy tomorrow to confirm the loan to Napoli.
    Possibly a good thing in relation to anyone coming in,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

as long as he aint around Old Trafford!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ill be delighted to see Fell gone, no point having him. He's not going to help our CM issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Thank the lord if he is not near Old Trafford this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Headshot wrote: »
    Ill be delighted to see Fell gone, no point having him. He's not going to help our CM issues
    Losing a CM isn't going to help either.

The only way Fellaini going on lone doesn't matter is if we're bringing in a CM. Otherwise it just doesn't really make sense.

The only way Fellaini going on lone doesn't matter is if we're bringing in a CM. Otherwise it just doesn't really make sense.

This 100%. There's just no way a club can sell two CBs, a "CM" and a LB and not bring in replacements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I dont really see him as a CM tbh, more of a no 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Fellaini adds at least as much as Cleverley to the team

If he is going to leave midfield signings are surely imminent

Hoping it's the start of a fun week transfer wise. We were due back if not for the final tomorrow, right?mso hopefully this kick starts the transfers in and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hoping it's the start of a fun week transfer wise. We were due back if not for the final tomorrow, right?mso hopefully this kick starts the transfers in and out.

"Watch this space."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement