Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yes, because obviously arguing my point of view and opinion is akin to telling you you aren't allowed by critical in yours. If I wasn't interested in hearing critical opinions, I wouldn't be on this forum and would put some posters of ignore, so please don't start this "Poor little me, can't have an opinion" stance; it's lazy debating. :rolleyes:

You must not have gotten the memo, winning that friendly proved all the moaners completely wrong and our squad is fine and we are going to have a fantastic season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Can't believe Juve would want Hernandez when they've already got Tevez Llorente Morata & Giovinco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

You must not have gotten the memo, winning that friendly proved all the moaners completely wrong and our squad is fine and we are going to have a fantastic season.

You're just making stuff up now to suit your narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

If that was true i'd be delighted (big if, i know)

I wouldnt at all. We would then need to go and replace 2 more players.

**** all this swapping crap, lets just buy players we need.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Please do quote many people to show this is a wide spread, consistent belief.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭billyhead

TBH I think LVG is confident he can secure a top 4 finish this season with the current squad less a couple of more players sold off and possibly 1 defender brought in i.e Vermaelen. Then when we are back in the CL the following season we will splash the cash next summer and acquire the likes of Strootman dependent on whether he retursn to his pre injury form. LVG probably feels their is no point in pissing away big money now on the likes of Vidal when we can use it next summer when were preparing for an assault on the CL and the league or possibly spalsh the cash in January if things are not going well in the league. We should see a vast improvement in our performance and placing this season when the players start to play to their potential and actually give a toss otherwise the boss will give them the fergie Hairdryer treatment.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I don't think I could come to terms with Chicho leaving :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Strootman will play for United before the season ends in my opinion. As soon as that knee is verified as working as intended, LvG will have him bought for whatever fee is asked. Could be reason why nothing has been done on Vidal.

Eathrin wrote: »
    I don't think I could come to terms with Chicho leaving :(

I love him, but as such think he deserves to play somewhere as the main striker. Sometimes if you love something, you have to let it go :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Chico and Wellbeck deserve to be playing first team football imo. I would hate them leaving but i would like to see them move on and play first team football.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Chico and Wellbeck deserve to be playing first team football imo. I would hate them leaving but i would like to see them move on and play first team football.

United are playing with two strikers so if one goes the other will get plenty of games.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Please do quote many people to show this is a wide spread, consistent belief.....
    Oh I wouldn't like to say its a widespread consistent belief, that would be silly. I'm just referencing the first person to thank your post up there.

RichFTW wrote: »
    Now that LVG has instilled a bit more confidence, does this mean the moaners in here will at least wait until the transfer window is closed before predicting the apocalypse?!
    So that's a no so? Not that I'm surprised, moaners gonna moan no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Oh I wouldn't like to say its a widespread consistent belief, that would be silly. I'm just referencing the first person to thank your post up there.

Nice backtracking there.

Nothing there says the squad is fine or that we are going to have a fantastic season

Nice backtracking there.

Hey, I'm just trying to apologise for having the cheek to point out that all isn't sunshine and roses. Don't know what I was thinking.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Nothing there says the squad is fine or that we are going to have a fantastic season

We are though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭billyhead

I reckon we will make that top 4 position this season and also have a good run in one of the cup competitions (if not win one) as we all saw what he did in the World cup:P

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Can you point out exactly in those posts where I said the squad is fine and we are going to have a fantastic season. You can use the bold function to highlight it. Otherwise stop making sh!t up about what I said.

Points I was making in those posts:

- The team is more confident under LVG
    - People complaining about the lack of signings should wait until the transfer window is over first
    - The world is not going to end
    - People who moan generally moan about everything. If LVG bought Vidal, Messi and Ronaldo moaners like you would still complain about the overspending in attack. Moaners highlight the negative and ignore the positive.

I haven't seen any of these pre-season games in totality, just highlights. Last season it looked to me like Utd could often hold onto the ball for long enough periods but had no ideas when it came to the final third of the pitch (except for crosses by the dozen). From the highlights I've seen the play in general looks far more inventive then it was last season, would this be fair to say? I'm a bit concerned by the lack of signings but hopefully LVG can take the squad he has available and maximise its potential, which Moyes clearly couldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I've actually watched the Real game twice now in totality. The style of play and confidence in the passing is night and day from what it was in my opinion. Fletcher and Herrera are demanding the ball and moving it forward much easier.

Can you point out exactly in those posts where I said the squad is fine and we are going to have a fantastic season. You can use the bold function to highlight it. Otherwise stop making sh!t up about what I said.

Points I was making in those posts:

- The team is more confident under LVG
    - People complaining about the lack of signings should wait until the transfer window is over first
    - The world is not going to end
    - People who moan generally moan about everything. If LVG bought Vidal, Messi and Ronaldo moaners like you would still complain about the overspending in attack. Moaners highlight the negative and ignore the positive.

Yeah, moaners just gonna moan aren't they.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

This is the UTD thread,yes?

We all support UTD,yes?

So why all the fighting/arguing?

Opinions are like arseholes,doesnt mean we have to pick each other apart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yeah, moaners just gonna moan aren't they.

People will definitely moan if you make up stuff to suit your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

it makes me depressed to see arsenal possibly getting carvalho - i know its a lot of money for a youngster
    but this guy could be a monster and no matter what we need a defensive minded midfielder
    Carrick isnt ferocious enough and Fletcher wont have the capacityto last the bulk of a season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

and Fletcher wont have the capacityto last the bulk of a season

Says who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

GSPfan wrote: »
    I've actually watched the Real game twice now in totality. The style of play and confidence in the passing is night and day from what it was in my opinion. Fletcher and Herrera are demanding the ball and moving it forward much easier.

Agreed. When a Utd player has the ball, the other players are running into space opening up options for him. Fletcher for me has been particularly impressive. Young also. Though if its true he is playing a full 90 minutes tonight, it will be interesting to see if he can cope. On the other hand Valencia has been disappointing.

However, these are only friendlies. While the players will want to impress VG, the step up in intensity come the start of the league will mean it's a totally different ball game. As I see it, CB and CM are the two positions we need to address with new signings. I think we will see action on this front in the next week, what with LVG deciding who he wants to jettison from the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

Says who?

Says his injury history and the history of other sports stars who have had the same illness and played in a physically tough week to week sport such as nfl player Matt light

Says his injury history and the history of other sports stars who have had the same illness and played in a physically tough week to week sport such as nfl player Matt light

He's had surgery though which seems to have cured the condition. Plus of the squad on tour he has played more minutes of the preseason than anyone else. There's every reason to be optimistic that he'll be able to last the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The friendlies are head wrecking. Even knowing that we need to make a few signings it's impossible to know whether to be excited by the good attacking play in these games or worried that the weaknesses aren't being exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Anyone staying up late tonight to watch the game? After the Moyes era I'm finding these friendlies very therapeutic.

• Advertisement

Valmont wrote: »
    Anyone staying up late tonight to watch the game? After the Moyes era I'm finding these friendlies very therapeutic.

Very tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Have the week off, so yes, I think I will.
    Having watched the last 2, I am starting to enjoy watching United again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Not in work till Wednesday so I'll be up with a few beers and snacks! Should be a great game, the scousers are afraid of the Oranje Revolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Will go to bed around 9pm, set alarms on phone - multiple alarms, will try for at least 2 to 3 hours sleep, then awake before the match starts, get some tea and be ready for the first United tournament win of the LVG era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Pro. F wrote: »
    The friendlies are head wrecking. Even knowing that we need to make a few signings it's impossible to know whether to be excited by the good attacking play in these games or worried that the weaknesses aren't being exposed.

thats the big worry - cracks were being covered for a few years and last year injuries and poor management exposed them.

we are 2 or 3 injuries away from being in real trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Surprised at the lack of signings. Jambaat and De Vrij went for 12 million combined. Both young and would have improved the squad and used to the system.

thats the big worry - cracks were being covered for a few years and last year injuries and poor management exposed them.

we are 2 or 3 injuries away from being in real trouble.

Personally I think the quality is good enough in the first 11 and I'm reasonably confident that enough of the right players will be added for depth. But the back 5 system is still very much a new thing and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a good bit of teething trouble with it when the PL starts.

That's a price I would be willing to pay to let LVG set up a system for the long term. But, as I say, it's a bit frustrating not being able to gauge how well the team are really playing. In that regard, the new season can't come soon enough.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Surprised at the lack of signings. Jambaat and De Vrij went for 12 million combined. Both young and would have improved the squad and used to the system.

Exactly 4 weeks of the transfer window left. Loads of time to make a couple of marquee signings :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pro. F wrote: »

I agree and while it's been great to see such positive play, players being played in their right positions, the total self belief of Van Gaal and him implementing his style completely on the team(and most, if not all seemingly buying into it and him totally) there is no getting away from complete lack of cover at CB.

The numbers simply aren't there. Hopefully it's will be addressed because, even accepting for the still ongoing midfield decencies, failure to strengthen with another two CBs, especially if the current 3 CBs system is to continue, could well be the difference between Utd making and not making the top 4 in the upcoming season.

The midfield, while also still a major worry, Utd could possibly get away with in a league campaign, although Carricks injury has highlighted that area even more.

CB really needs strengthening and is the most urgent area that needs addressing.

Two CB signings and a midfielder and I would be content, if not totally happy. My main fear is we might only see one CB coming in and that will be all the business done until January.

Van Gaal has been very impressive so far in everything he has done at his very short time at Utd so hopefully he will continue to impress and make the signings needed.

One thing is for sure, it is leaving things very late again and that is far from ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What are our realistic ins and outs?

Out: Nani, Anderson, Zaha
    Maybe: Fellaini, Hernandez, Cleverley

ins: Vermaelen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Trilla wrote: »

That would be a total disaster. If we arent going to replace any of the above then I dont want to see them sold.

The Fellaini loan is baffling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Gonna make a prediction. We will sign at least one more CB and one more CM before August 31st. I presume Vermaelen will be the CB. I don't think we'll sign Vidal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Not worried too much yet about lack of signings since the tour commenced as im impressed with how Van Gaal has handled everything since his arrivial.

I have confidence that we will see a lot of transfer action (moreso departures) once they return to carrington. If they are back a week and see no transfers whatsoever id be very surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭weisses

I don't get the whole Vermaelen thing .... the guy gets injured tying his shoelaces

adox wrote: »
    I agree and while it's been great to see such positive play, players being played in their right positions, the total self belief of Van Gaal and him implementing his style completely on the team(and most, if not all seemingly buying into it and him totally) there is no getting away from complete lack of cover at CB.

The numbers simply aren't there. Hopefully it's will be addressed because, even accepting for the still ongoing midfield decencies, failure to strengthen with another two CBs, especially if the current 3 CBs system is to continue, could well be the difference between Utd making and not making the top 4 in the upcoming season.

The midfield, while also still a major worry, Utd could possibly get away with in a league campaign, although Carricks injury has highlighted that area even more.

CB really needs strengthening and is the most urgent area that needs addressing.

Two CB signings and a midfielder and I would be content, if not totally happy. My main fear is we might only see one CB coming in and that will be all the business done until January.

Van Gaal has been very impressive so far in everything he has done at his very short time at Utd so hopefully he will continue to impress and make the signings needed.

One thing is for sure, it is leaving things very late again and that is far from ideal.

I was more talking about the team shape really. For some reason I'm confident enough that LVG will get the players in that he thinks he needs. And I'm assuming he will at least want some defenders.

I'm more concerned about how the back line works and the defensive shape. Are the defenders learning when they need to step up or are they still nervous because they're not used to the system? Have the midfielders and forwards worked out when and how to press in this system yet? Things like that are a bit of a concern to me. Yet the results have been good, so I don't know what to think about it.

weisses wrote: »
    I don't get the whole Vermaelen thing .... the guy gets injured tying his shoelaces

Played for Ajax + Dutch Manager = Linked to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I think Anderson is definitely gone, can't see Zaha getting sold perhaps a loan and Nani I think is with Chico, both need to go to get first team football they aren't going to get with United

That would be a total disaster. If we arent going to replace any of the above then I dont want to see them sold.

The Fellaini loan is baffling

Cleverley won't be leaving.

Hernandez might need the move.

If others are simply not going to play, why keep them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Played for Ajax + Dutch Manager = Linked to United.

Vermaelen isn't Dutch.

• Advertisement

Vermaelen isn't Dutch.

I never said he was Dutch... LvG is Dutch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement