Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

markc1184 wrote: »
    Quick ticketing question for anyone that has a club membership. Do they still only allow 1 ticket purchase per member card? Can you link 2 cards together to get tickets side by side?

dont have membership option as ive got the season ticket, but i would assume so yes and also yes, to the second part!

any particular game you are short for as ive a few spares for some of the first games apart from Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

dont have membership option as ive got the season ticket, but i would assume so yes and also yes, to the second part!

any particular game you are short for as ive a few spares for some of the first games apart from Swansea.

Haven't decided which games to go over to yet. All depends on work etc. Late October will probably be the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

RobertKK wrote: »
    I feel I have been very wrong about Ashley Young as I wanted him vanished. If LVG can keep him playing in his current form, he will be one of the best players at the club.
    Looking forward to see how he plays tonight.

I really hope Young avoids injury and just stays playing the way he currently is. Definite first team player in current form.
    Liam O wrote: »
    Actually amazing how people can be so fickle based on 2 good halves in preseason. He had like 2 good games when he first joined too. His bad performances outweigh his good ones at least 5 to 1 I'd say. It will take a lot for me to have any faith in him.

In fairness to him, on 3 occasions he made it pretty clear in his post that his opinion on Young was solely based on how he is playing at the moment, which is a very fair point.
    I don't think anyone really has huge faith in Young to be first choice for the season ahead based on what we have seen in the past, but if he does keep up this new found form well into this season well then there can't be too many arguments against him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

[QUOTE=ceegee;91573900]Original name of club

Year united won the treble

1994 FA cup single

Nickname of young 1950s team

Name of home ground[/QUOTE]

That very question brings back good memories of doing the tour of Old Trafford for the first time. The Tour Guide would stop at random junctures and ask random questions about the club. Of course there was this "super fan" who'd step in right away with the answer before the question was even finished, being the big man. I let it pass. Anyway, near the end of the tour the guide asked the group what was the original name of the club and the guy pipes up immediately "Accrington Stanley". I broke my hole laughing and gave the right answer. He went bright red.

Good memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Young might be doing well enough going forward, but he still has a lot to prove defensively imo. If LVG does decide to stick with Young as a LWB for the season it will be a brave call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

alot of talk on twitter (from good reliable people) about the possibility of Kagawa and Hernandez leaving.

we need to be keeping these players, not getting rid of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Pro. F wrote: »
    Young might be doing well enough going forward, but he still has a lot to prove defensively imo. If LVG does decide to stick with Young as a LWB for the season it will be a brave call.

I think Young is not a long term first choice option for the reasons you mention.

He is a good option for now in the EPL for many games and shouldn't be tested that much, he will be trusted with and needed more for the wing part part of the role in games where United are more in control.

I think Shaw is the one who will be asked to play the role when more defending is required. Or more likely they will revert to 4-3-3, for example when they are playing City at City, with Shaw or another defender at lb.

alot of talk on twitter (from good reliable people) about the possibility of Kagawa and Hernandez leaving.

I hope the Kagawa one is wrong, he has the ability to contribute a lot.

Hernandez probably needs to go for his own sake and it would be wrong to keep him if he won't get enough games to keep him happy. I don't think he would be sold because United want rid but more because he wanted a chance at first team football.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Sickened I'm going to miss tonight's match :( ... Here's hoping LVG's unbeaten record continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

The day Utd signed Mata, was the day they said good luck to Kagawa. Only a matter of when not if he would go. Hes on a hiding to nothing at Utd.

They both deserve more game time than Utd have been giving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Sad to see Kagawa and Hernandez so strongly linked with leaving. Seems Atletico Madrid is the destination. I still think Kagawa in particular is a top class player and he has never been given a chance at United. Mata is a top player and it's great to have him at United but I wonder what could have been had Kagawa been given a real shot at establishing himself (he was fantastic for Dortmund). He's still young though and I do have a pretty strong feeling that letting him leave will be a decision that United and its fans will be regretting in a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Would we currently be better off if Moyes hadn't bought Mata but instead used half of the Mata money to go and get Matic?

4834_gladiator-thumbs-down.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭dahat

So where do you fit them?

Annan will likely get a run at the 10 role with Mata or can play wide on a 4 3 3. Wide role doesn't suit Jamaica and not likely to get a shot at the 10 role too often and far too light for midfield.
    Hernandez will always be 4th rank at the club, think he is a good asset to be selling get especially with Wilson looking to get a turn at 4fh striker imo.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I think Young is not a long term first choice option for the reasons you mention.

He is a good option for now in the EPL for many games and shouldn't be tested that much, he will be trusted with and needed more for the wing part part of the role in games where United are more in control.

I think Shaw is the one who will be asked to play the role when more defending is required. Or more likely they will revert to 4-3-3, for example when they are playing City at City, with Shaw or another defender at lb.

We'll still need injury cover for Shaw at LWB though. We won't always be able to choose which games the back-up plays in, so that player does need to be good enough at both aspects of the job. There's also the youth players, LVG might trust one or two of them to step up to being squad cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Chico shouldn't be 4th choice. He deserves to be 3rd choice. With RVP possibly out of the Swansea game., it should be him an Rooney up front

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Headshot wrote: »
    Chico shouldn't be 4th choice. He deserves to be 3rd choice. With RVP possibly out of the Swansea game., it should be him an Rooney up front

Based on what? Welbeck deserves to be ahead of Chico based on form.

Pro. F wrote: »
    We'll still need injury cover for Shaw at LWB though. We won't always be able to choose which games the back-up plays in, so that player does need to be good enough at both aspects of the job. There's also the youth players, LVG might trust one or two of them to step up to being squad cover.

I agree, cover is needed. But if it comes to a game where a better defender is needed he could amend the system to get another defender in rather than carry an extra lwb in the squad.

Without Champions League the squad won't be able to accommodate two players good enough at both aspects of the role for the select games where that type of player is needed. So some level of compromise will be required (either a player not as great at each part of the job or change in formation).

Its also a position where Young will naturally have cover from the extra cb and the defensive requirements will be more about getting into position than tackling or marking something Van Gaal can help him with. His ability in attack would be better than most wing backs the club could bring in.

Of course the above assumes Van Gaal hasn't already decided Youngs defending is way below the minimum he finds acceptable.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I agree, cover is needed. But if it comes to a game where a better defender is needed he could amend the system to get another defender in rather than carry an extra lwb in the squad.

Without Champions League the squad won't be able to accommodate two players good enough at both aspects of the role for the select games where that type of player is needed. So some level of compromise will be required (either a player not as great at each part of the job or change in formation).

Its also a position where Young will naturally have cover from the extra cb and the defensive requirements will be more about getting into position than tackling or marking something Van Gaal can help him with. His ability in attack would be better than most wing backs the club could bring in.

Of course the above assumes Van Gaal hasn't already decided Youngs defending is way below the minimum he finds acceptable.

Wing-backs still have to be able to do all the defensive things like marking, tackling, covering and making headers. There's no extra cover once one of the other defenders has stepped up to fill the gaps in midfield, which will happen most times we're defending. If Young can't do that well enough then he'll be a problem regardless of formation. If LVG thinks he can convert Young then I trust him, but I'd call it a ballsy choice to make all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

When does patience run out with Jones?

To call him brainless would be a compliment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Anyone who thinks we can survive without midfielders just needs to look at how we've handled the opening 20 minutes of high pressure

Fletcher is struggling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Fletcher is struggling with the easiest of passes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I've had to turn to Sky Sports instead of Mutv. Paddy Crerand annoys every part of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'm staying in here that match thread is getting on my tits already!

Fletcher s been awful where lacking the movement and pace we have shown last two games so far.

Anyone who thinks we can survive without midfielders just needs to look at how we've handled the opening 20 minutes of high pressure

Fletcher is struggling

Mentioned earlier that I'd like to see how he'd cope in a high intensity game and he is struggling with Liverpool's pressing.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Mentioned earlier that I'd like to see how he'd cope in a high intensity game and he is struggling with Liverpool's pressing.

they are barely even pressing him and he's struggling thats whats worse

**** sake Fletcher

We have more to us going forward apart from screw up at the back we been the better team.

Where lacking a boss in middle of the field same could be said for the back at times.

First real test of preseason and we have really struggled this half, our quick passing and movement has almost disappeared under the pressure from Liverpool

Jones, Evans and Smalling showing their inconsistency already too

Just can't wait to get this preseason over now to see who we are going to sign to fix the above problems

Have to say it seems like smalling and jones are the problem out there in defence and fletcher is adding to it as well. Hernandez is completely non existent , you think this would be his chance to shine.

First real test of preseason and we have really struggled this half, our quick passing and movement has almost disappeared under the pressure from Liverpool

Jones, Evans and Smalling showing their inconsistency already too

Just can't wait to get this preseason over now to see who we are going to sign to fix the above problems

Where lacking steal at the back and in midfield no leaders. Can tell when do get forward where better.

Very happy with young he looks a different player last few games really hope he keeps it up.

• Advertisement

It's been very Moyes-esque so far.

No ideas up front, Rooney's only contribution is knocking the ball wide now and again, midfield and defence are very panicky.

rooney seems to be playing the same ball out the young all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

3 CBs, Fletcher and Hernandez all very poor. Shaw and Young have been impressive. Much prefer Young on the right to Valencia.

You can honestly tell young his giving everything which is great to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

No doubt there's some of you that haven'nt heard these!
    Both of them are on cassette in a box in my mothers attic, having bought them in Rainbow Records! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Missing Welbecks pace and ability to run the line. Young pretty impressive again.

Fletcher started the half poorly and recovered, let's see how the second half goes.

Jones really has to learn quick, brainless challenge.

Blackett and Cleverley coming on by the looks of it

Serious likeness in this first half to a Moyes first half last season alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

J. Marston wrote: »
    When does patience run out with Jones?

To call him brainless would be a compliment.

I have to agree, he seems prone to biting much too easily when opponents draw him out. Penalty or not, his tackle was totally unnecessary.

• Advertisement

Blackett and Cleverley coming on by the looks of it

****ing cleverly uhhh weather he be out of position or not I'd bring on kagawa least u know he has something to offer and can pass and move.

****ing cleverly uhhh weather he be out of position or not I'd bring on kagawa least u know he has something to offer and can pass and move.

The way i think of it is, LVG surely just witnessed Fletcher can't deal with being pressed, so the only option was to bring on Cleverley really. Kagawa would leave us even more open, so if this isn't a reason to get in 1 or 2 CMs, I dunno what is

The way i think of it is, LVG surely just witnessed Fletcher can't deal with being pressed, so the only option was to bring on Cleverley really. Kagawa would leave us even more open, so if this isn't a reason to get in 1 or 2 CMs, I dunno what is

True I guess but your taking off a player and replacing him with someone who bascially will do **** all. Even fellini would do a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Hoping there will be lot of transfer activity this week, Van Gaal said he will make decision as soon as they go back to Manchester, so expecting few players to leave and at least 2-3 players signed.

On the game, not at all impressive in the first half but at least Young is making himself a lot of good for his ManUtd career. He was excellent in every pre season game in so many positions, as striker, LWB and RWB.

True I guess but your taking off a player and replacing him with someone who bascially will do **** all. Even fellini would do a better job.

the joys of our midfield options aye!

the joys of our midfield options aye!

Here comes Cleverley yay! Hopefully he proves me wrong!

• Advertisement

Much better movement Shaw did great.

If in doubt, cross, cross, cross.

Edit: Shut up, Marston.

Great goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Hon Rooney

Attack them now and we can win this.