Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Ashley Young has ya's all fooled. He wont maintain this.

But at present I'd want Shaw and Young starting against Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My hope is that there has been some groundwork done in potential transfers, and that all that was waiting was LVG's sign off. In a sense that enquiries have been made an things agreed with clubs in principle on the QT.

All the indication from LVG is that a few players are going to be told they can leave, now hopefully that means that one or two will come in.

Obviously still possible he thinks he has a nucleus there that can challenge for the title, but the midfield STILL looks a bit lackluster. Need something alongside Herrera.

Could either be an interesting two weeks ahead, or a really frustrating two weeks.

Although we normally don't do it, also possible we a transfer could come in after the first weekend. Isn't the window open for like two weeks after kickoff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

TheDoc wrote: »
    My hope is that there has been some groundwork done in potential transfers, and that all that was waiting was LVG's sign off. In a sense that enquiries have been made an things agreed with clubs in principle on the QT.

All the indication from LVG is that a few players are going to be told they can leave, now hopefully that means that one or two will come in.

Obviously still possible he thinks he has a nucleus there that can challenge for the title, but the midfield STILL looks a bit lackluster. Need something alongside Herrera.

Could either be an interesting two weeks ahead, or a really frustrating two weeks.

Although we normally don't do it, also possible we a transfer could come in after the first weekend. Isn't the window open for like two weeks after kickoff?

The window is open until month end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I suspected that some of the dross might emerge under Van Gaal (and posted as much a couple of months ago).

It would be great if Ashley Young is the first of that cohort.

What are the odds of an Anderson/Young/Nani inspired Premiership win?

High I'd imagine!

All joking aside, it's good to see Ashley Young performing.

Rooney's fitness, physical shape and apparent dedication to Van Gaal's philosophy are also a big positive.

It's all very encouraging.

High I'd imagine!

Rooney's fitness, physical shape and apparent dedication to Van Gaal's philosophy are also a big positive.

Rooney started very well last season too tbf.

I still think he'll do his usual and stink the place out for a few months at some point.

Hope I am wrong of course.

Very anxious about new signings. I'd love to be able to just forget about it.

Same as under Moyes and same as under Fergie. Rooneys criticisms stem from Fergies obsession with playing him anywhere but as a striker imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

High I'd imagine!

It would not surprise me in the slightest if Nani was sold and Anderson stayed for the first half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Ok peeps, the following have signed up to the paid league. It's a tenner per head.

See my sig below for free league!

PAID

Yermandan
    KevIrl
    IrishFeen
    MayoMaulers
    keane2097
    SilverFox261
    alchemist33
    dahat
    BKtje

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

FutureGuy wrote: »
    It would not surprise me in the slightest if Nani was sold and Anderson stayed for the first half of the season.

it could be a case that with Fellaini going (and Nobody wanting Ando), the decision has been made to keep Ando as the back up midfielder this year.

his injury could also be a reason why we cant get rid of him. as regards Nani, it is reall tragic that a player who hit world class levels 3 years ago, is a pale shadow of himself now.

• Advertisement

as regards Nani, it is reall tragic that a player who hit world class levels 3 years ago, is a pale shadow of himself now.

I'm starting to believe he was doping at this stage. His performance levels are as extreme as any player ever at United.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

it could be a case that with Fellaini going (and Nobody wanting Ando), the decision has been made to keep Ando as the back up midfielder this year.

his injury could also be a reason why we cant get rid of him. as regards Nani, it is reall tragic that a player who hit world class levels 3 years ago, is a pale shadow of himself now.

Not sure Nani ever hit the height of World Class but he was great that one season. Though one is seven really isn't cutting it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

so wheres that poster that said shaw was a better attacker than Ashley young and he would prefer to see shaw start ahead of him even on the right :eek:

bangkok wrote: »
    so wheres that poster that said shaw was a better attacker than Ashley young and he would prefer to see shaw start ahead of him even on the right :eek:

ah come off it for f*ck sake, the poster in question called it as he saw it and what he said was spot on, AT THAT TIME.

since then, Young has stepped up a big level in the last week or two and has started to show more for us.

as i said above i have been critical of Young for the last 2 years and without trying to sound rude here, the ctiticism was well deserved. however, credit where credit is due he looks a completely different player right now.

no need for the willy waving post, i am sure theres plenty you have said that can be brought up for scrutiny.

I would still play him ahead of him on the left.

Friendlies don't matter a ****, if he carries this form into the league I'll be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

FutureGuy wrote: »
    This tour has been everything I hoped it would be.

Firstly, the team has taken to LVG, his beliefs and his system. They are happy.

He has not splurged XX millions before assessing exactly what he has at his disposal right now. NOW he know's who is who. NOW he can sign players. It may not be this week or this transfer window, but at the start of next season, I can see a phenomenal side in our brand-spanking new Adidas kit.

Certain players have shown what they can do despite being believed to be done at United. Young and Fletcher have had superb tours and I think both will probably start the season (unless we sign a midfielder).

We are unbeaten against the likes of Inter, Real, Roma and Liverpool (who were almost at full strength and went a goal ahead). We were cwertainly the better team in every game.

The swagger, arrogance and pomp is back. Last year, Moyes celebrated an equaliser against Fulham at OT as if it was a great accomplishment. Now Van Gaal shows his disappointment at how we played even though we soundly beat a team that destroyed us twice last year, won a cup and pocketed a million.

I cannot wait for Swansea.

Nowhere near full strength. Liverpool were missing 7+ players.

• Advertisement

ah come off it for f*ck sake, the poster in question called it as he saw it and what he said was spot on, AT THAT TIME.

since then, Young has stepped up a big level in the last week or two and has started to show more for us.

as i said above i have been critical of Young for the last 2 years and without trying to sound rude here, the ctiticism was well deserved. however, credit where credit is due he looks a completely different player right now.

no need for the willy waving post, i am sure theres plenty you have said that can be brought up for scrutiny.

ah come on, "at that time" shaw has zero career goals and about 2 assists. compare that to young, its a non comparison

rob316 wrote: »

Oh. Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Had an argument here a few weeks ago about someone who said Valencia offered far more than Young. He had a very solid 18 months before injuries and a drop in form. I maintain as i always did that people get blinded by his salary when judging his performances. It is only pre season and i hope he continues his old form which is good enough as a squad player. Still think he should be behind Shaw and Rafael.

On Valencia does anybody know what happened last night. About two minutes into the game he had the ball to run into space and stopped and ran back the way like always. He offers nothing going forward i hope LVG took him off to prove a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Leftist wrote: »
    Oh. Who?

2 that haven't even signed yet and some others that have never played for Liverpool yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Only 3 or 4 starters were missing though it was close to full strength. Utd missing 1 or 2. Didnt see the game but it sounds like it was a good test for both teams.

• Advertisement

ah come on, "at that time" shaw has zero career goals and about 2 assists. compare that to young, its a non comparison

That's a **** argument, they play in different positions and Luke's career has just begun.

Fletcher was poor last night but it was good to see him looking for the ball and pushing forward. His passing was off but i think too many games may have caught up with him.

cleverley by contrast showed up for nothing. Twice i heard him mentioned when he fell over the ball and when he got skinned. He spent the 45 minutes hiding away from the ball and offering nothing as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

WWhen I heard young was signing for United I was over the moon, he was an excellent winger and a steal at £16M. Then for whatever reason he could not impose himself on the club and looked like a player who was 'found out'.

He now seems to have full confidence again and that is really a spin-off of LVG, the man is incredible at getting the most out of players. Really looking forward to what his plans are over the next two weeks and to make the very talented squad at United more balanced (his words). At the moment we have the two best strikers in the league, a number 10 who I still cannot believe plays for United and plenty of other players who are excellent and will thrive under the man. However we all know where the weaknesses in the squad are, Central midfield and Centre-back. By my reckoning the wage bill has already been cut by £8.5M per annum and then there is more than enough leeway to sign the top class players needed. The next few weeks are going to be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Screenshot_2014-08-05-10-36-39.png

From vidals instagram . seems that might finish off the rumors

Edit: I don't know if its his official account

were they??

they were missing Sturridge, but apart from him it was pretty much their first choice team that failed to win the league last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

:rolleyes:
    Which of these Liverpool players are not first choice - Mignolet, Johnson, Skrtl, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Only 3 or 4 starters were missing though it was close to full strength. Utd missing 1 or 2. Didnt see the game but it sounds like it was a good test for both teams.

I think we missed 3 players. Carrick, RVP and Rafael.

That's a **** argument, they play in different positions and Luke's career has just begun.

but the whole argument started as the OP said shaw was a better attacker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The only way you were missing 7+ players is if you're planning to field 14 players every game. You reeled off a list in the other thread which included 2 LBs, 2 RBs, including 2 players who don't actually play for Liverpool.

were they??

they were missing Sturridge, but apart from him it was pretty much their first choice team that failed to win the league last season.

A full back, sturridge, lallana and lovren would probably all be first choice it was still a strong team put out. Utd were also missing some players so its not an argument Id be making.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I think we missed 3 players. Carrick, RVP and Rafael.

Totaly Forgot about carrick was thinking the other 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Nuts102 wrote: »

On Valencia does anybody know what happened last night. About two minutes into the game he had the ball to run into space and stopped and ran back the way like always. He offers nothing going forward i hope LVG took him off to prove a point.

He felt his leg and did the smart thing by coming off straight away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We were missing Welbeck, Rafael, Carrick, Fellaini, Januzaj and Van Persie. And?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

If Anderson and Nani survive this transfer window I will eat my hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

chupacabra wrote: »
    If Anderson and Nani survive this transfer window I will eat my hat.

Anderson already ate your hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

That was a good game of pre-season ball. People will downplay it, without a doubt, but that was a good game.

United held the ball well, and won it back well, especially Herrera in midfield. That boy likes a tackle! It's great to see. Regarding the penalty, I think Jones made a fair tackle and got the ball, but the follow through on Sterling coupled with the fact it was in the box was always asking for a penalty. Really bizarre to take that risk in the penalty box. That highlights the need for an experienced head in at CB. It's great having Jones/Smalling/Evans all playing for the first team in their correct positions, but they lack that experience that both Vidic and Ferdinand had.
    The young lad Blackett looks very composed on the ball. I think Sky said he's naturally left footed, so it suited him playing on the left of the back three.

In midfield, Fletcher had a complete mare. That could be down to age, travel, climate or just a bad day at the office. He was replaced with the mighty TC23 at half time, who was as bad as he's ever been. United need a CM. There's simply no question about it. I think we'll sign one too, and a CB, because there's no way LvG can sit on the sidelines and like what he sees.

Up front, magic as usual. The difference Rooney and Mata playing as striker and #10 is astounding. People were bigging up RVP for top goalscorer this season, I would have a go on Rooney myself. Hernandez whipped in a sensational cross for the goal, but missed an absolute sitter 5mins in. He needs regular playing time to be at his best, and I don't see him getting that once RVP is fit and firing.

All in all, a very good performance. United struggled when pressed high by Liverpool, but (aside from the penalty) weathered the storm and came out on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Hococop wrote: »
    Screenshot_2014-08-05-10-36-39.png

From vidals instagram . seems that might finish off the rumors

Edit: I don't know if its his official account

Pirlo and Tevez look well pissed off in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

MagicIRL wrote: »
    All in all, a very good performance. United struggled when pressed high by Liverpool, but (aside from the penalty) weathered the storm and came out on top.

Surprised more isn't made of this. Its now common knowledge that to beat United you press them high in midfield and by all accounts we struggled again when that happened last night. Its going to happen again and again when the competitive games start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I liked the way the third goal started right at the back with Smalling.

Cleverley goes towards him for the pass, receives it under pressure and plays a nice pass behind him to to Young. Young gets it forward to Nani who is dropping off the front bringing a defender with him. Nani plays it back to Cleverley who plays a nice lob over to young who ran into space left by Nani dropping deep.

Young does brilliantly to get past another defender and down the line, picks a good pass that Kag messes up but Lingard broke from midfield really well to support and had a brilliant finish.

Youngs play there deserves the most credit of course and some luck with the way the way the ball fell to Lingard but the way the ball was moved around quickly, the movement, that three players were in around the box when Young was looking for a pass were all pleasing late in a game. Massive difference from previous season.

I hope Lingard gets at least an EPL loan, a great eye for goal from midfield and couldn't have done much more last season in the Championship.

Hard to believe Blackett is only 20, he plays like he has more experience and the role suits him so well with his ability on the ball. A big bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Up front, magic as usual. The difference Rooney and Mata playing as striker and #10 is astounding. People were bigging up RVP for top goalscorer this season, I would have a go on Rooney myself.

Someone mentioned PP's offer a few days back of €20 on top scorer and a free €2 every time they score. Have gone with Rooney myself this morning. Not sure about the top scorer thing, but he'll definitely score more than 10 goals this season me thinks....

Surprised more isn't made of this. Its now common knowledge that to beat United you press them high in midfield and by all accounts we struggled again when that happened last night. Its going to happen again and again when the competitive games start.

The only evidence we have of the pressing game is Liverpool and they did not beat United with this tactic. Instead, they were countered when they over committed and that was that.

United need a CB, but it's not an instant win if you press United's current squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The only evidence we have of the pressing game is Liverpool and they did not beat United with this tactic. Instead, they were countered when they over committed and that was that.

United need a CB, but it's not an instant win if you press United's current squad.

Not sure what you mean by evidence, as it happened constantly last season. But from reports and reading the match thread when Liverpool pressed United were awful. United may have gotten a handle on things in the second half but you can't ignore that it was a friendly, Liverpool weren't really going to be busting their ass for 90 mins, you have to imagine that when the serious games start we will be pressed for the full 90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

v3ttel wrote: »
    The only way you were missing 7+ players is if you're planning to field 14 players every game. You reeled off a list in the other thread which included 2 LBs, 2 RBs, including 2 players who don't actually play for Liverpool.

Forget it. He was either trolling or just making dumb excuses to cover for the loss. For goodness sake, he included 2 players that Liverpool have not even signed it. I guess united were missing Di Maria, Vidal and Hummels too then.

Using his logic, United were missing Rafael, Carrick, Fellani, Welbeck, RVP, Di Maria, Vidal and Hummels so 8 players! :rolleyes:

Ole is on Sky Sports now picking the best united team during his career. interestingly he went for VDS in goal and beckham over Ronaldo.

VDS

GN----Stam----Rio---Irwin

Keane
    Scholes
    Beckham
    Giggs
    Cantona
    RVN

What's the story with Blackett i thought he was reserve lb. Watching him last night he was fantastic on the ball and looked very comfortable with the system. I really don't know much about him but i was very impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Thought Rooney, Mata, Blackett, De Gea, Smalling, Shaw and Young were all very good. I thought Young in particular was excellent, and has been all preseason. He has grabbed this preseason by the balls and shown everybody that he can be a very good player in that wing back position. For the last 2 years I wanted Young to be the first person out the door in every transfer window but playing as a wing back could be a revelation for him.

Herrera had a relatively poor game compared to the others he has played but he still offered a lot. I'm loving his aggression but I've a feeling he will pick up cards easily.

Fletcher had a poor game. His passing was terrible at times but this is the first time in years he has played this many games in a row so I'm sure he was just a bit fatigued.

We still desperately need another midfielder and an experienced quality centre half. Let's hope LVG tells Woodward to pull the trigger and sign whoever he has lined up.

Overall, since LVG has taken the reins we are looking like a completely different outfit. Well drilled, great team spirit, and a proper sense of exactly what type of football we will be playing. I'm not for one second expecting us to challenge for the title, but we should be strolling into that top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Should be an interesting week :)

IT BEGINS. Or resumes. Something.
    Atletico Madrid are ready to make a £25m bid to sign Mexico striker Javier Hernandez, 26, and Japan midfielder Shinji Kagawa, 25, from Manchester United.
    Guardian

United boss Louis van Gaal is set to tell executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward that Hernandez and Kagawa can be sold, along with midfielders Marouane Fellaini and Anderson, both 26, winger Nani, 27, and possibly 21-year-old forward Wilfried Zaha.
    Daily Mail
    The Red Devils are looking to do a swap deal with Atletico Madrid by offering Kagawa for 27-year-old midfielder Arda Turan. Mundodeportivo (in Spanish)
    Mundodeportivo (in Spanish)

This has the potential to be the most irritating week of the transfer window. The rumours will be flying all week and probably nothing will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Leftist wrote: »
    Rooney started very well last season too tbf.

I still think he'll do his usual and stink the place out for a few months at some point.

Hope I am wrong of course.

Very anxious about new signings. I'd love to be able to just forget about it.

Rooney was fired up for last season with Fergie finally gone. Unfortunately everyone else turned to sh1t and Rooney followed suit. He will have a huge season this season, his best in years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement