Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Should be an interesting week :)

could possibly be the busiest 3 weeks in the history of the club in terms of transfers.

we need 2 signings, 3 would be great. ideally they'd be done by now but it hasnt happened so we just move on to the next stage of hope and fingers crossed it gets done finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Any highlights from last night available? thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ole is on Sky Sports now picking the best united team during his career. interestingly he went for VDS in goal and beckham over Ronaldo.

VDS

GN----Stam----Rio---Irwin

Keane
    Scholes
    Beckham
    Giggs
    Cantona
    RVN

To be fair I think that former players who do this, make some intentional omission/inclusions so that it's actually meaningful, and not just the smae 11 everytime, or to be purposefully controversial (i.e Keane)

Obviously it's always opinion based, but I'd take Ole's team, replace VDS with Schmeichael and Beckham with Ronaldo, and then consider that the best starting 11 of the players who have played since the premier leagues creation.

Sometimes think people omit/included certain players to be intentionally controversial, or unique. There is nothing wrong with not being unique in this instance, as I think it's not that debatable in terms of our best 11.

I think by the end of his career, Rooney will most likely become a more frequent figure in these sort of teams, most likely replacing RVN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Did Ole ever play with Ronaldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

could possibly be the busiest 3 weeks in the history of the club in terms of transfers.

You just know that 10 days from now not a single player will have joined or left! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ole played a lot more with Beckham than Ronaldo.

He only played three seasons with Schmeichel when he was on his way down.

I doubt he picked players based on their peak but how they played while he was a team mate with them.

Yes

Ronaldo signed for United when Beckham left in 2003. Ole retired in 2007

EDIT: I know he was injured a lot in that time so wouldn't have played many games with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Aye, from 2003 to 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Mission accomplished I did not post once in the match thread :)

Good win for United but the issues are still there we need 1 maybe 2 defenders and at least one midfielder.

Hererra is a class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Turan would be cover for the wing back positions, either that or Shaw will be cover and Turan first choice on the left with Young and Valenica the options on the right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ole is on Sky Sports now picking the best united team during his career. interestingly he went for VDS in goal and beckham over Ronaldo.

VDS

GN----Stam----Rio---Irwin

Keane
    Scholes
    Beckham
    Giggs
    Cantona
    RVN

That's fair enough on Ronaldo though as Beckham would have had far more influence on his career specifically. Van Der Sar was brilliant for Utd too it has to be said. I think that's a reasonable team. Testament to the quality he had around him when you consider some of the omissions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Fletcher was poor last night but it was good to see him looking for the ball and pushing forward. His passing was off but i think too many games may have caught up with him.

cleverley by contrast showed up for nothing. Twice i heard him mentioned when he fell over the ball and when he got skinned. He spent the 45 minutes hiding away from the ball and offering nothing as usual.

This is hilarious. Your take on those two performances is the perfect example of what preconceptions do to cloud judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

How did Kagawa play when he came on last night lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

either that or Shaw will be cover

£27m for a left wing back cover player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Aye, from 2003 to 2007.

I always think Ole retired earlier, his career really fizzled out because of those injuries, such a shame.

bangkok wrote: »
    so wheres that poster that said shaw was a better attacker than Ashley young and he would prefer to see shaw start ahead of him even on the right :eek:

Here I am. First of all, I said I might take Young on the right. Young has been transformed recently, especially last night. If you think you were predicting that performance then you are fooling yourself.
    bangkok wrote: »
    ah come on, "at that time" shaw has zero career goals and about 2 assists. compare that to young, its a non comparison

Judging a 19 year old left back, who up until this season was playing with a mid-table side on goals and assist, is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

DrPhilG wrote: »
    £27m for a left wing back cover player?

Turan will probably cost nearly as much and maybe more if we do buy him and it wouldn't really make sense to have him as cover when he is nearer his peak than Shaw

Price won't determine who starts for LVG anyway, he will decide what's best for the team

You just know that 10 days from now not a single player will have joined or left! :pac:

theres 3 players going and theres 2 coming...whether those 2 players will be the right ones is anyones guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

bullvine wrote: »
    Any highlights from last night available? thanks!

Official highlights will appear here at 1am on Wednesday.

There is also extended highlights on Footyroom - 5min with German Com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

intenational-champions-cup-logo.png

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'VE DONE IT!
    tumblr_m6nbhnjQic1qkfkbqo1_1280.gif
    MANCHESTER UNITED ARE THE 2014 GUINNESS INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONS CUP CHAMPIONS!

a24de09e-cc1c-4f04-a88d-1237fcf52af3-620x372.jpeg

2632740332_51fbe4c357.jpg

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Tyler Blackett did very well on tour. He seemed very composed on the ball and defended very well when he had to. If we're playing 3 CBs, he'd be an option as 5th choice or 6th choice. He made a difference with his distribution from the back, even though Liverpool's high pressure faded a bit in the second half.

Hopefully we'll see some transfer activity (CB and CM) over the next week or so. I'm hoping that LVG can stop Jones from being so rash.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I thought he was very good defensively against Sterling today. He was beaten once or twice but overall he was good. He had the pace to keep up with Sterling.

He might have done okay when facing Sterling with the ball, but I'd still have doubts about his positioning and I don't remember him ever being tested by having to cover the back post.

so looks like the Vidal deal is dead and we never actually bid for him.

i wonder though, will that change now that we are on the way home from tour. have a feeling that this is going to run and run for a few more weeks yet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I wanna' tell you, I might as well do, 'bout a boy who can do anything,
    He comes from Holl-and, his name is Kev-in, Stootman, Strootman, Strootman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Augmerson wrote: »
    intenational-champions-cup-logo.png

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'VE DONE IT!
    tumblr_m6nbhnjQic1qkfkbqo1_1280.gif
    MANCHESTER UNITED ARE THE 2014 GUINNESS INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONS CUP CHAMPIONS!

a24de09e-cc1c-4f04-a88d-1237fcf52af3-620x372.jpeg

2632740332_51fbe4c357.jpg

:pac::pac::pac:

aM1DOvA_460sa.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Turan would be cover for the wing back positions, either that or Shaw will be cover and Turan first choice on the left with Young and Valenica the options on the right

Think he would be a midfield option, as far as I'm aware he's more of a central player now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

beno619 wrote: »
    Think he would be a midfield option, as far as I'm aware he's more of a central player now.

He's always played wide for Atleti? You may be thinking of Koke, who is naturally a central player but often plays on the wings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

so looks like the Vidal deal is dead and we never actually bid for him.

i wonder though, will that change now that we are on the way home from tour. have a feeling that this is going to run and run for a few more weeks yet :(

Have heard people clinging to two things. That he never types his messages in English but did this (so is it a negotiation tactic or why English now) and the fact he hash tagged the name of the city he is in ("I am happy in this city"). Feels, to me, like it's someone in his ear sending a message which could easily be construed in multiple ways tbh.

Not that I believe we were ever really in for him, mind....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

He's always played wide for Atleti? You may be thinking of Koke, who is naturally a central player but often plays on the wings.

Going by your username I'd say you know what your talking about but did he not play centrally a few times for Atleti last season ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I don't believe we're in for Vidal either, mind. But that instagram pic I reckon he's just saying how he likes it there in Jakarta.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

beno619 wrote: »
    Going by your username I'd say you know what your talking about but did he not play centrally a few times for Atleti last season ?

He's played off the striker a few times in a more central sort of role, and him and Koke were often encouraged to cut inside when playing on the wings. Still, I'd say his best position is very much out wide. He can play either wing pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Any word on P Nev? did he get a job afterall?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Don't know if this was posted already

LVG <3

https://vine.co/v/MEmzYUgFv3u

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

It ain't over til the fat lady sings.
    Omid Zamani ‏@Juventus__fan 4m
    Tuttosport confirms that Vidal's Instagram account is fake! - uncertainty still remains.

TheTownie wrote: »
    It ain't over til the fat lady sings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That video posted above was unreal.

Needed a double take to make sure that was United playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭baldshin

Don't worry lads, I'm off to watch Juve train in Sydney on Saturday, I'll collar Vidal and find out what's what and let ye know! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

3-5-2 and 4-3-3 are the formations we will play this season.

I can't see us not signing a midfielder and a central defender.

btw on Twitter Ireland all the the trends are do with the match last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

v3ttel wrote: »
    Tyler Blackett did very well on tour. He seemed very composed on the ball and defended very well when he had to.

I agree and at one stage later in the second half, he had one very nice piece of defending that Phil Jones could do with looking at. It was a lesson in how not to give away a penalty / not to give an excuse for a penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Highlights from last nights match, 7:41 in total, with MUTV commentary.

You can ignore the match report at the top where it says Anders Lindegaard scored the last goal.

I really hope Jesse Lingard breaks in to the first team this season.

The New Kit looks well on the players.

Reminds of the 80s kits,

mainly this one

37e92181f5669faa660c4cf5006f42eb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Yep. Can see no reason why he can't. Underrated IMO.

Yep. Can see no reason why he can't. Underrated IMO.

Blackett should get a chance too.

It's a productive pre season if those two come in to the team, along with new , flowing tactics and a manager who knows how to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Although I wouldn't be happy if our transfer dealings are finished, the power of a top manager can never be underestimated. Even as things stand, I'd bet heavily on UTD. getting top 4 this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

MagicIRL wrote: »

Was impressed when I saw him play a year ago in pre season.
    Scholesy rates him better than Januzai
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paul-scholes-slams-manchester-united-7334702

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Hopefully Nick Powell also get promoted to first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Craig Norwood ‏@CraigNorwood 2m
    Manchester United's flight GTI8758 being diverted due to a terror threat at the Manchester airport. #MUFC
    BuRrc6lIYAAhW58.png

**** flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

**** flying.

Wow crazy. Where are they landing now

Just heard it on the radio apparently a device on another plane landing in Manchester but not sure how genuine the threat is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement