Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

So basically Fellaini to Napoli seems to be down to if Van Gaal gets the midfielder he wants in the transfer market, he's not going to be left with just Cleverley, Fletcher and Carrick to pair with Herrera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Given the number of options we have in CM, I think it would be very silly to let Fellaini go, even if we sign one more player in that position.

I know he had an awful season with us last year, but I think it's was rather unfortunate for him the season that was in it. I think we should give him this season to see what he can do for us then.

Nailz wrote: »
    Given the number of options we have in CM, I think it would be very silly to let Fellaini go, even if we sign one more player in that position.

I know he had an awful season with us last year, but I think it's was rather unfortunate for him the season that was in it. I think we should give him this season to see what he can do for us then.

Little bit unfair on him that LVG has given him absolutely no chance to prove himself too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Little bit unfair on him that LVG has given him absolutely no chance to prove himself too.
    To be fair, he started and finished most of Belgium's games in the World Cup and played up to the Quarter Finals, he's just been rested through the preseason tournament I think; sure it's the same with Januzaj.

As far as I know they've been training back in Manchester. It was probably different for Hernandez as he only got as far as the last 16 and was used as a sub only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Got both home and away Kits, AON top is far nicer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nailz wrote: »

Without CL football, it's likely that 2 first teamers and 2 back-ups would be more than enough to play the vast majority of games. As it stands, we have Herrera, Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverly, Anderson, Fellaini, and then if you are pushed, Powell, Kagawa (LVG said he might try him there), possibly Lingard.

If we signed one more first team CM player, he'd likely start off most games with Herrera, with Fletcher, Carrick and Cleverly as back up. Fel would be battling for 5th or 6th choice CM as it stands. The reality is that with one more CM signing, we probably wouldn't need him this coming season. Unless there's multiple injuries, he wouldn't get more than a small handful of games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Coat22 wrote: »
    I would think Vermaelen would be an automatic pick ahead of any of the defenders that are there at the moment and reckon we need at least 2 new CBs urgently. I expect Jones to be given a chance this season but have my doubts it will work out, Evans also will see plenty of games but is not the answer if we’re serious about a title challenge. Smalling might not survive the transfer window but either way is a poor option for club of United’s ambitions. If we’re going to play 3-5-2 then we need at least 5 CBs to choose from but given the lack of talent out there I would settle for Vermaelen and another player of his quality for now.

What justifies your opinion to play Jones but sell Smalling. I don't exactly see what both players have done for you to come to that conclusion. That tackle last night shows how much Jones has to learn added in with his reckless tackles getting himself injured. Thought Smalling looked very good last night. Both deserve a proper chance at first team football to develop.

Also i think you are overrating Vermalen a bit here i would rate Evans above him for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Without CL football, it's likely that 2 first teamers and 2 back-ups would be more than enough to play the vast majority of games. As it stands, we have Herrera, Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverly, Anderson, Fellaini, and then if you are pushed, Powell, Kagawa (LVG said he might try him there), possibly Lingard.

If we signed one more first team CM player, he'd likely start off most games with Herrera, with Fletcher, Carrick and Cleverly as back up. Fel would be battling for 5th or 6th choice CM as it stands. The reality is that with one more CM signing, we probably wouldn't need him this coming season. Unless there's multiple injuries, he wouldn't get more than a small handful of games...

Fellaini is better than Fletcher, Cleverley, Anderson, Powell, Lingard and Kagawa. If he stays at the club he should be 3rd or 4th choice midfielder. A few months with niggling injuries in a team destroyed with no confidence or no idea of what they were supposed to do doesn't make him a bad player.

His best form no doubt came from moving to being a target man. Before that Everton broke their transfer record for him, he was a regular in midfielder for Everton for years and picked up 50+ caps for Belgium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

So basically Fellaini to Napoli seems to be down to if Van Gaal gets the midfielder he wants in the transfer market, he's not going to be left with just Cleverley, Fletcher and Carrick to pair with Herrera.

Think the sticking point is money

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What do you reckon Van Gaal will spend the winnings on lads?

Cheeky big for Ibra? Di Maria? Ronaldo? Messi?

There ain't a whole pile of world class CBs out there that are a) available and b) looking to join united

World class? Maybe not.
    better than vermaelen? I think there's a few

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't think Valencia has done enough to impress LVG in pre-season, I'd hope for/expect a replacement.
    If we get a new CB and CM too - and they are improvements on what we have, not squad players like Vermaelen would be - ...

De Gea
    Jones Evans New CB
    Shaw/Young Rafael
    Herrera New CM
    Mata
    Rooney RVP

I think he will stay. He also signed new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The thing with Fellaini is he probably just doesn't fit in with LvG's style of play, he's not quick on his feet, not a fast distributor of the ball, not a great passer and kind of clumsy, so that would rule him out of a position in the centre of midfield and he sure as sh!t won't get a game in what most would say is his best position either (off the front)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Apparent quote from Chile manager Sampaoli
    “I know that the main problem in Vidal’s $80m transfer to #MUFC is LVG’s doubt over the improvement of Vidal’s knee”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Augmerson wrote: »
    What do you reckon Van Gaal will spend the winnings on lads?

Cheeky big for Ibra? Di Maria? Ronaldo? Messi?

Last min bid for Reus and Pogba before they sign for Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What justifies your opinion to play Jones but sell Smalling. I don't exactly see what both players have done for you to come to that conclusion. That tackle last night shows how much Jones has to learn added in with his reckless tackles getting himself injured. Thought Smalling looked very good last night. Both deserve a proper chance at first team football to develop.

Also i think you are overrating Vermalen a bit here i would rate Evans above him for starters.

Relax man its just an opinion.

I think if you look at how they’ve performed over the last couple of seasons rather than in a couple of training matches then Jones would appear to offer more potential to develop into a better player than Smalling. I’m not even sure that will be as a centre back, maybe a defensive mid-fielder eventually, as you point out he does tend to concede stupid frees and penalties. Smalling for me does not look like a player that will get much better than he currently is and I don’t think that’s of United standard.

Vermaelen isn’t the entire answer either and maybe I am overrating him but I think he’s better than what we have for a start. We need 2 CBs. If we are extremely lucky we’ll sign someone of Hummels quality but even then we’ll need another and that’s where I see Vemaelen as fitting the bill of being a) available, b) probably open to joining united and c) already experienced in the premier league.

Either way I wouldn’t lose too much sleep about it – the way things are going we’ll sign nobody and sell maybe Hernandez unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Jorge Sampaoli has had a little bit of a chat with El Mercurio about many things surrounding the Chile NT, and one of the topics is Vidal. Sampaoli admits that the Vidal everybody saw at the World Cup was only “30-40%” of the Vidal everyone knows from Juventus. Sampaoli says how, by playing in the WC, Vidal sacrificed himself for the NT and could have potentially damaged his own personal objectives. Now, the most interesting part of all this is the next quote. Sampaoli mentions directly Vidal’s transfer to #MUFC. Sampaoli: “I know that the main problem in Vidal’s $80m transfer to #MUFC is LVG’s doubt over the improvement of Vidal’s knee”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

RayCun wrote: »
    World class? Maybe not.
    better than vermaelen? I think there's a few

That are available?

That are available?

For the right money, sure.
    It's not like we'd be getting a bargain with V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Predicting the future: Here he is on his 20th birthday warming up with De Gea..........

55817_1111_copy_copy_copy_copy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hopefully Vidal's recovery goes well in the next few weeks

You can understand the clubs' hesitancy at paying 60 million and 200k a week to someone who could be crocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Best transfer news of the summer as Barcelona bid £10 million for Vermaalen. Yipee. Never before have i been happy Barcelona entered a transfer race for a player.

We dont need more injury prone defenders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Fellaini is better than Fletcher, Cleverley, Anderson, Powell, Lingard and Kagawa.

Sorry man, but that's an insane comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

GSPfan wrote: »
    Best transfer news of the summer as Barcelona bid £10 million for Vermaalen. Yipee. Never before have i been happy Barcelona entered a transfer race for a player.

We dont need more injury prone defenders.

Wait and see- IF they sign him you'll have posters in here moaning that we let it slip by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Wait and see- IF they sign him you'll have posters in here moaning that we let it slip by.

100%.

He could be fantastic for Barcelona and if they can keep him fit then good luck to them, but we could defo do without. I'd rather buy a solid defender with a good fitness record and give Blackett a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Interesting quotes from the Chile manager, Think there tour ends the 23rd of August so hopefully we will finally have an end to this saga then.

Maybe the reason all the smoke is coming from foreign journos is because juve are more open about their transfer business than United are now. Would also explain why ducker etc claim to have heard nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rafael Hernández @RafaelH117

Zubizarreta knows Manchester United has offered Cuadrado substantially more wages than Barcelona, and that could obstruct the transfer.
    By the way, that also means Manchester United is leading the race to sign Juan Cuadrado from Fiorentina.
    Correction, Di Marzio reporting Manchester United's preparing a bid for Cuadrado, seems Barça's going to lose this one.

I know very little of him other than the fact that he's lethal in Fifa.

93 pace, 87 dribbling. Can't be stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Cuadrado would be perfect for the right wing back role if we persist with 352.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

J. Marston wrote: »
    I know very little of him other than the fact that he's lethal in Fifa.

93 pace, 87 dribbling. Can't be stopped.

I wouldnt be that keen on him. He's a good player but I dont think he will drastically improve us. A better option than Nani thou

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

That a pretty much exactly the situation I thought we were in. Good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    D dc dc cs cx dc vfvcf svc d svc d dc x svc eddy WC vcde z v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

It's ok lads he is just taking a well deserved nap on his keyboard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

He had a rough night celebrating the International champions cup win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So I couldnt watch the match last night

Anyone give me a detailed account of how we played, were we deserved winners?

Headshot wrote: »

First half was a very Moyes performance. Midfield and defence struggled with being pressed.

Second half Liverpool stopped pressing and we took advantage.

Overall we deserved it I think.

Young and Shaw were very impressive all night. Valencia came off after a few minutes for Shaw so Young went RWB.

Also, Herrera hates scousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Cuadrado to replace Valencia???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Cuadrado is a winger. Has he ever played in a wing-back role or any position with serious defensive responsibilities?

And he will cost a fortune relative to the gamble he'd be. Unless the 352 we've played all summer is going out the window, I can't see this being true

Cuadrado is a winger. Has he ever played in a wing-back role or any position with serious defensive responsibilities?

And he will cost a fortune relative to the gamble he'd be. Unless the 352 we've played all summer is going out the window, I can't see this being true

Looking at Transfermarkt, he liked doing something the referee doesn't like.
    Serie A, he played 121 games and 34 yellow cards, with those yellows leading to two sending offs.

Maybe he tackles like Scholes, I don't know :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

where has shaw been playing in the preseason in the 352?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ician wrote: »

In goal.

ician wrote: »

Left wing back.

Nope. We are not signing Vidal.

Good thinking though.

David
    Don't concede
    Don't concede
    Clean sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Headshot wrote: »

In the first half Liverpool pressed and all three United centre-backs and Fletcher were shockingly bad on the ball. Even when they weren't being pressed sometimes they just misplaced passes. Hererra was okay, but he was misplacing some passes too. DDG was excellent on the ball and Young and Shaw did well.

But even with all the problems the team dominated possession for long stretches.

It was better in the second half, partly because Liverpool couldn't keep up the pressing. Young just got better and better, especially for keeping possession and linking up.

Blackett came on in the second half and he looked really good with and without possession.

The back line got zero protection for most of the game and if Liverpool had had a working CF they probably would have scored a hat-full.

Hererra started looking very tired and committing a lot of fouls as the game wore on. Rooney played well, but was knackered towards the end too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He has played right wingback in a 3-5-2 for Fiorentina before. How well he defends, I'm not so sure. He seems to have played all over the place, looks very versatile.

• Advertisement

United Report ‏@UtdReport 1m
    Atletico Madrid have offered €31.5m for Shinji Kagawa & Chicharito. [via @diegocora_ESPN]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Surely Kagawa is not surplus to requirements?

If anything happens to Mata, Kagawa can slot straight in at 10 behind Rooney and Van Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Just bought a kagawa jersey. Pricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

£25 million for Chich and Kagawa.

Funny joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Deisebaby01 got her little fat hands on my phone! Makes more sense than me though I'll have to admit!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement