Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gonal F

Options
  • 22-07-2014 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi guys,

Had my followup appointment yesterday after my lap & dye last month. Nothing showed up during the op, endo etc. They took scrapings/samples during the op and they all came back clear.

The consultant has prescribed me Gonal F shots for 7 days from day 3 and then in for a scan on day 10. We are going to wait until probably early next year to try. Am I right in saying we should be able to afford 4 months of it and hope it happens before that? Is there anyway to get the scans done publicly? He said no but wanted to double check.

I knows its not a massive amount of money in comparison to IVF but we will still have to save for a while to be able to do a few cycles in a row.

Anyway if you guys have any words of wisdom I would love to hear them. I will be having the scans in Galway Fertility Clinic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Hi Melissa, don't have too much advice for you, but you will not get any scans publicly. They will cost between 80-100€ per scan

If you are planning on using gonal f for a couple of cycles , maybe you could ask the doctor to prescribe all 4 months together so you can get it under the DPS therefore it will only cost you 150ish. If they won't do that it will only cost you 150€ per month. If you haven't already applied for the card you should do so. Everyone is entitled to one.
    I think the general rule is give a treatment three attempts before trying another protocol.But it depends on a lot of different factors; your response to the drugs, egg quality, lining etc. things that will only be discovered as you undergo the treatments.
    Best thing is try not get too stressed if things aren't going how you'd like. It can be a very long road that has lots of different options on the way.
    Up your protein intake and take a good multiple vitamin( one without vitamin a)

Best of luck.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Melissa30 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Had my followup appointment yesterday after my lap & dye last month. Nothing showed up during the op, endo etc. They took scrapings/samples during the op and they all came back clear.

The consultant has prescribed me Gonal F shots for 7 days from day 3 and then in for a scan on day 10. We are going to wait until probably early next year to try. Am I right in saying we should be able to afford 4 months of it and hope it happens before that? Is there anyway to get the scans done publicly? He said no but wanted to double check.

I knows its not a massive amount of money in comparison to IVF but we will still have to save for a while to be able to do a few cycles in a row.

Anyway if you guys have any words of wisdom I would love to hear them. I will be having the scans in Galway Fertility Clinic.

No, they dont do scans publicly - they dont have the resources. What they may do (not sure about gonal f but they do this for Clomid) is to test your bloods for day 21 in UHG ante-natal if you are a public patient to check the drug did what it was supposed to do. So, if your consultant is public, in Galway, thats the way it will go. If you are under GFC (brooklawn house) then you are private and will have to pay for the scans.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Melissa30

Thank you both and sorry about the delay, things are hectic here at the minute.

I am under Dr Conway/Egan in UCHG but said I will be going to Galway Fertility Clinic for the scans etc.

I did think about getting all the medication in one month so save money but wasnt sure if what was being prescribed had to be used in one month if that makes sense.

Dr Egan said the scans will be around €300/month, surely some months only 1 scan will be needed?

Why no Vit A? I am so clueless!

Thanks girls, it helps talking it out.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

They pricing with GFC was that it was €300 a month for the scans, but that was unlimited - so if you went for 1 or 5 the end cost is the same. Some months I was scanned three times, others just the once.

With regards to the Vitamin A, its likely that you get sufficient in your diet already and large amounts can be harmful in pregnancy so if you were supplementing an already sufficient intake you might be taking in more than you should.

You could ask the pharmacist about buying all the meds at once - if they dont have a short expiry date you might be better off.

Thanks Neyite, its great to have the support here and to be able to ask questions. I dont post often but am very grateful to all you guys.

Were you successful with GFC if you dont mind me asking?

• Advertisement

Melissa30 wrote: »
    Thanks Neyite, its great to have the support here and to be able to ask questions. I dont post often but am very grateful to all you guys.

Were you successful with GFC if you dont mind me asking?

Yep I was. :) Initial consult in November 2010, put on meds to correct a hormone issue, and advised to try for 6 months, then returned in June when no results from that, then I did 3 months of TSI with clomid and pregnyl, got pregnant on the third month, and have a two year old now. :) I'd going back to them if I get frustrated with the public service in UCH.

The nurses there are really really lovely and are excellent at what they do.

Thank Neyite for telling me your story, that fantastic it worked for you and I wish you every success with your next try xx

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If you are planning on using gonal f for a couple of cycles , maybe you could ask the doctor to prescribe all 4 months together so you can get it under the DPS therefore it will only cost you 150ish. If they won't do that it will only cost you 150€ per month.

My wife's consultat ask to me to check te prices for Gonad F in UK pharmacies because it's cheaper there. But surely there is no point if we can get them here under DPS? Or am I missing something?

Advertisement