Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA & Hibernia Masters in Primary Education

Options
  • 22-07-2014 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi There,
    I am wondering does anyone know if I can claim BTEA whilst doing the Hibernia online route to Primary School teaching? I've searched online & can't seem to get a solid answer.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

I'm a Hibernia student and have looked into this. You can't claim it unless you've been in receipt of JSA for 9 months before the course starts.

More info here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

Believe me, I've looked into every angle of this and you can claim nothing (legally) to help you while you do this course (except of course a kick up the hole for trying to further yourself). The government expect you too live off air for 2 years, it's an absolute disgrace, while wasters on the dole (note - not everyone on the dole is a waster before you trolls start) get everything. I'm working FT at the moment but can't imagine I'll be kept on when TP comes around. So if I can't get some sort of flexible part time job (likely!) I'll have to sell my body down the docks.

Trying to save for this eventuality but very difficult when I have a 12K loan hanging over me for for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gracie8bb

Hi Opticalillusion, I am hoping to register to do this course in the next year or so and am totally flummoxed as to how I'm going to afford it. I'm in a full-time job at the moment but I know I'll need to do a PT job to make this course work. but at 12 K there aint no way thats gonna work. What is the story with the tax relief end of things? how does that work is it just once you pay the fee you get some money back at the end of the year? Do you recommend the course or do you think there's a better route to becoming a teacher?

Thanks!

Advertisement