Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stranglehold on Waterford

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Kahless wrote: »
    Remind me again how getting rid of a substantial portion of city centre parking attracts more people to come to the city centre? People can look at all these nice new, and empty, cafes and shops as they pass through on the way to somewhere they can park.

Making the quay side a green area will attract a multitude of people who want to enjoy the city - as it stands the quay is a concrete parking jungle --- build it and they will come!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

jennygirl wrote: »
    Making the quay side a green area will attract a multitude of people who want to enjoy the city - as it stands the quay is a concrete parking jungle --- build it and they will come!

Agreed doesn't necessarily have to be developed with shops and cafes look at wexford a lovely place to go for a walk along the front. Also though not on the same scale new ross now has a pleasant promenade and the benefits you would think would outway the cost particularly if it attracts more tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

jennygirl wrote: »

With the Deise Greenway running next to the river for the length of The Quay... Type "parc des sports saint michel Bordeaux" into Google Images and see what they done with their riverside area...similar width as Waterford, half as long. In summer with thousands of flowers, it's truly spectacular. We can have this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

They could knock part of O'Connell street, from about the granary down towards the quay on the left side for carparks. TBH the place is looking very dodgy these days and not somewhere I would go for a walk along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

O Connell Street is in a bad way to be honest .Needs a bit of urban renewal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

O Connell street is in a awful condition with its 1960s overhead wires and rusty poles and broken footpaths.I think Parnell st O Connell st and Johns st need to be done asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I was back down over the Christmas for a few days and I have to admit the place was looking up since last time I was home. It was a plasure to take a stroll around town. It being Christmas and all probably helped. I only manage to get down a couple of times a year but there was definitely an improvement I thought. The old cinema reopening brought a smile to my face and there seemed to be a lot more cafes and 'quirky' little shops opened up around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 waterford2015

It it were up to me, I'd create a low cost multistory car park a few minutes walk away, and remove the car park from the quay. I'd also add some more inviting seating areas, maybe with picnic tables.

People love to go for a walk down the quay, and it would be a great idea to brighten the place up. Perhaps they could put a bunch of small retail units like the ones at the end of the promenade in Tramore, which could be turned into coffee stalls, chippers or tourist shops?

But what would be even more cool, is if they built a pier going out into the river that people could walk down, with benches for people to sit on.

I would love it if they never modernised the Quay in the first place actually. Sometimes people change things too much.

Advertisement