Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Buffet Ideas

• 22-07-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Right I am going to risk being told to sling my hook to another thread however I have contributed here frequently and I would value all my foodie friends here and I know I'll get exactly what I want . I am having a BBQ for upwards of 30 people in two weeks I want to do a cold buffet am planning vol u vonts trouble is I need a filler I can pipe into small case ones and serve cold any ideas ??? By the way my experience with vol u vants is only cooking the cases

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

gjc wrote: »
    Right I am going to risk being told to sling my hook to another thread however I have contributed here frequently and I would value all my foodie friends here and I know I'll get exactly what I want . I am having a BBQ for upwards of 30 people in two weeks I want to do a cold buffet am planning vol u vonts trouble is I need a filler I can pipe into small case ones and serve cold any ideas ??? By the way my experience with vol u vants is only cooking the cases

Does it have to be piped for some reason? If not, you can do creme fraiche/smoked salmon/dill/red onion mixed together and spooned into the cases. Red onion marmalade and a piece of cheese (goats or brie) also works.

If you must pipe the filling, then try beating up some soft goat's cheese with black pepper, lemon juice and very finely chopped fresh thyme. A piping nozzle should survive that.

You could make tapenade and hummus as well, they'll pipe into cases nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

emaleth wrote: »
    Does it have to be piped for some reason? If not, you can do creme fraiche/smoked salmon/dill/red onion mixed together and spooned into the cases. Red onion marmalade and a piece of cheese (goats or brie) also works.

If you must pipe the filling, then try beating up some soft goat's cheese with black pepper, lemon juice and very finely chopped fresh thyme. A piping nozzle should survive that.

You could make tapenade and hummus as well, they'll pipe into cases nicely.

No doesn't have to be piped however I am going to use the small vol u vonts which really are tiny so I was hoping to pipe to keep it neat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

gjc wrote: »
    I need a filler I can pipe into small case ones and serve cold any ideas ???

smoked salmon 'paté'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Split from the HWIHFDLN thread...

tHB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mushroom Paté is really nice, and easy to make.

250g mushrooms
    30g butter
    3-4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
    250g cream cheese
    salt and pepper

Clean and trim the mushrooms, chop finely.

Heat the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and fry gently, stirring frequently for 10 mins or until all the moisture has evaporated.

Leave it to cool.

Blend the mushrooms in a food processor until smooth, add the cream cheese and blend again until well mixed.

Season to taste then leave to cool completely.

Refrigerate for at least an hour for the garlic flavour to develop.

Keeps for a week in the fridge.

• Advertisement

Just mooching around looking at some vol au vents, I like the sound of either coronation chicken or coronation prawn ones!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/coronationprawnvolau_93068

Great ideas folks hopefully will upload pic in two weeks time going to go with a selection of all of the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I did a cold buffet for a friend's hen party last year; she's a veggie so I didn't use any meat. I kept it simple; 3 types of sandwiches (aubergine, pesto & mozzerella; roasted pepper & hummus; cheddar), 2 types of homemade quiche (spinach & gruyere; goats cheese & thyme), a bowl of fruit and then some sweets for after (thin mints; shortbread; gingerbread). There were very few leftovers which I think was a good sign! Pic here to give you an idea:

buffet2_zps499351f0.jpg

That's a beautiful spread homemadecider!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

I did a cold buffet for a friend's hen party last year; she's a veggie so I didn't use any meat. I kept it simple; 3 types of sandwiches (aubergine, pesto & mozzerella; roasted pepper & hummus; cheddar), 2 types of homemade quiche (spinach & gruyere; goats cheese & thyme), a bowl of fruit and then some sweets for after (thin mints; shortbread; gingerbread). There were very few leftovers which I think was a good sign! Pic here to give you an idea:

buffet2_zps499351f0.jpg

Great spread. thought your user name was home ma decider, and you were a stay at home mum. Now I reckon it's home made cider, funny how things can be read differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MiloDublin

Aubergine Pate / Baba Ghanoush
    Roasted aubergines, lemon juice, tahini, salt and pepper - where it's at basically!

Going to do a dry run of a few of the above between today and tomorrow off to the shops to get supplies really appreciate the help guys!!

Oh a few more ideas for you... some cold buffet items I did for a party last year:

Sausage plait; sausage stuffing baked in a loaf tin and then wrapped fancily in puff pastry, coated in egg wash and baked. I served it cold with wholegrain mustard.

sausageplait_zpsad33e368.jpg

Caprese salad; mozerella, tomato & basil, seasoned with salt & pepper.

tomatoandmozzerella_zpsf5392e7e.jpg

Strawberry & feta salad with rocket. Not pictured is the dressing; balsamic vinegar, olive oil, wholegrain mustard & honey.

strawberryandfeta_zpscfad1f7a.jpg

And finally I just put some cream cheese in a bowl and covered it in sweet chilli sauce. Served with water crackers and sliced cucumber.

chillicheese_zps741e57ec.jpg

Hope this gives you a few ideas! Buffets don't have to be boring! :)

Right so dry run of two today forgive the presentation could not get vol u vents so improvised with puff pastry sheet just for today mushroom pate was Devine also cooked quiche from scratch it was Devine all suggested from all you guys. Tomorrow going to try something else as I said excuse the presentation all in the experimental stage yet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Looks yummy gjc :)

Dizzy blondes mushroom pâté and homemadeciders quiche test run today everyone in gjcs house very happy will test run the humus tomorrow thanks all coming on nicely....

Oh a few more ideas for you... some cold buffet items I did for a party last year:

Sausage plait; sausage stuffing baked in a loaf tin and then wrapped fancily in puff pastry, coated in egg wash and baked. I served it cold with wholegrain mustard.

Is that just sausage meat or do you throw in a few other ingredients???? I could see that working well with my gang

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

I am drooling at the pictures here! Loads of great ideas, even for family dinners.

Advertisement