Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips for first 'long' trip

• 22-07-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I'm planning my first long trip and in need of advice and tips. It's only a 200 mile journey from Wicklow to Kerry but that's a long way when I only compute 15 miles a day.

I'll be going on the bike pictured (minus the green cat box), I don't have panniers or a saddle bag but I'm only going for 2 days so won't be needing much.

I'd appreciate any tips.

102f01.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

Turn your lights on at night

Indicate if turning left or right

We drive on the left over here on the east

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ninja_Spirit

Enjoy the trip! I might see you around Kerry. Living in Killarney.

Do you're P.O.W.D.E.R check BEFORE you set off

Take breaks

Stay Hydrated

that would be my advice.
    My first "long trip" was last week, 150 miles- Tralee to Kinsale in Cork and back. Legs were so stiff afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Do your pre ride checks (oil, tyre pressures, chain tension and oil), I always like to give it a half decent wash before trips away too, clean visor.
    Take a break half way. Pick a town that you'll stop in, or service station if there's one on the motorway. If I don't plan the stop beforehand, I find I don't stop! Getting off, having a walk, taking the jacket, helmet and gloves off refreshes you.
    You can easily do it in one go, but if it's your first long drive, no harm in stopping. If you've nothing else planned that day (i.e, no work or anything like that) get up early. I usually pack the night before, but even still, it always takes longer than you think to get organise and nothing better than getting on the road early, makes it a way more relaxing drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

As above take it at your own pace check the bike the night before and enjoy it.

Funny how people define trips they take themselves the last Sunday Spin I did with a few heads off here was over 300klm :eek:. Left the house at 9:30 am and got home at 9pm.

Plenty of pics and stay safe.

Check the weather before you go too. OK, this time of year is fairly warm, but you never know, you might have ventilated summer gloves thinking it's a lovely day but get down to limerick and it's pishing rain and your waterproof gloves are at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Put petrol in it, and point your bike in that direction and twist the throttle until you hit reserve.:)
    Enjoy your trip.
    Gis a shout if you have any breakdown, will rescue you.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I'm planning my first long trip and in need of advice and tips. It's only a 200 mile journey from Wicklow to Kerry but that's a long way when I only compute 15 miles a day.

I'll be going on the bike pictured (minus the green cat box), I don't have panniers or a saddle bag but I'm only going for 2 days so won't be needing much.

I'd appreciate any tips.

102f01.jpg

A stove, surplus gas, a waterproof tent. An axe for chopping wood and fending off the wolves/bears. A fishing line, survival blanket, and three flares. At least three sets of tyres and two sets of chains/sprockets. Suncream, winter & summer gloves, about €500 for police bribes. Finally, two pet baskets strapped on to the back of bike for any wild animals you tame along th...oh, you already have them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Always find these threads interesting, good luck on your trip underwater dog, I'm hoping to do a cork to giants causeway and back at some stage

rat_race wrote: »
    A stove, surplus gas, a waterproof tent. An axe for chopping wood and fending off the wolves/bears. A fishing line, survival blanket, and three flares. At least three sets of tyres and two sets of chains/sprockets. Suncream, winter & summer gloves, about €500 for police bribes. Finally, two pet baskets strapped on to the back of bike for any wild animals you tame along th...oh, you already have them!

Nah, just make sure you have extra gloves in case it rains...and make sure your neck, etc., is covered in case it gets cold/windy...it gets annoying after a while, but can be tolerated 15 miles a day without noticing.

Though, we are having such good weather, you should be fine.

Listen to music if you can, makes everything more fun.

Don't get lazy/complacent with your safety.

In terms of bike, make sure the chain is ok, and the pads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

apart from the advice above, well some of it....

For me the last few KM are where you need to stay alert and not get relaxed cause its coming to an end.
    Legs, I find they can be wrecked after a few hours so be careful if you come to a stop after a while, just be mindful they might be sleepy.

Oh, an post some pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i just did the IBA's round ireland non stop, 1400kms took me 22hrs..... all i did was fuel the bike, lube the chain, check the tyre pressures and worked out which way was north!!! i wouldnt fret too much, as a poster said above just twist the throttle and if you get stuck shout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Why would you not bring the green cat box? It's a very defining feature on the bike. You could start a trend.

Why would you not bring the green cat box? It's a very defining feature on the bike. You could start a trend.
    I agree, crazy going on journey like the without the cat box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 suasdaguna2

And no calling into a public house en route for a cleansing ale.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Some good tips already. Don't wear jeans under your gear, they get too warm/damp and can irritate yer bum :P

Oh, almost forgot: cat food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Use the toilet before you leave. Encourage the cat to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

I haven’t read all the above posts so sorry if there is any repetition.

I can still remember my first ever trip outside of the college commute. At 200ish miles you should have no problems.
    1. Wear comfortable safety gear.
    2. Check the bike before going (tire pressures, fluids, lights, everything).
    3. Be familiar with the route (major waypoints, names of areas you should be passing through, tolls and petrol stations).
    4. Check the weather for both the start and end point before going and watch out for gusts of wind when driving (the difference between cities and the open road is the thing I most remember from my first ride).
    5. Go at your own pace and stop for a break as often as you want.
    6. Stay comfortable and try to move your hands, feet, etc. a bit while riding so you don’t tighten up.
    7. Finally have fun and enjoy!!!

P.S. if you don’t have a SatNav make sure your phone is fully charged before going in case you have any problems or get lost and need to look at a map.

notmymark wrote: »
    P.S. if you don’t have a SatNav make sure your phone is fully charged before going in case you have any problems or get lost and need to look at a map.
    Just bring a compass. It'll be more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Use the toilet before you leave. Encourage the cat to do the same.

How does one encourage a cat to go to the toilet?

• Advertisement

You just pretend to start unstrapping their bed from your bike...they quickly get the idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I would advise to stick a cigarette lighter port/usb port in bike (theyre dirt cheap and you can wire yourself). That way you will alway be able to charge ur sat nav/phone whatever u need at time.

Just ask it nicely, cats respond well to politeness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 suasdaguna2

Oh, bring a roll of bog roll with you. I had to run into a farmers field recently due pints/curry previous night.

You have to go in the grass yourself, show the cat how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Oh, bring a roll of bog roll with you. I had to run into a farmers field recently due pints/curry previous night.
    Had an almost premature bowel evacuation, seriously touching cloth, on the hard shoulder of a French motorway one time :pac:

Picture a beautiful bank holiday weekend & French families in their cars whizzing by as I'm squatting in the hard shoulder with me strides down doing my best impression of a slurry spreader :D

Morto I was :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Had an almost premature bowel evacuation, seriously touching cloth, on the hard shoulder of a French motorway one time :pac:

Picture a beautiful bank holiday weekend & French families in their cars whizzing by as I'm squatting in the hard shoulder with me strides down doing my best impression of a slurry spreader :D

Morto I was :o

Pics or it didnt happen......surely you managed a quick selfie!!!! :p

Advertisement