Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 week old puppy sleeping arrangements

• 22-07-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

My little 8 week old Cavachon is really comfortable in my house now. He's only been here for 4 days but he's comfortable with the family and knows his was around. I've been having trouble with his sleeping arrangements, as I do not have a crate for him. I bought him a nice bed for the utility room and that's where he will be staying, but I want to know is it too early for me to put him in there alone? I've been sleeping in the front room with him, but I can't do this forever. I tried leaving him in the utility room alone for a little while before but his crying and whining made me feel terrible, so he slept in the front room with me again. He doesn't like the clock idea that people have said, and it's way too warm for a hot water bottle. Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dkod

Crate training is fab. Can then bring him to your room at night time. Crate training needs to be built up though by slowly introducing the crate. Ps I never liked the idea of a cage but honestly irs a godsend and I use it for the car as well and it can be used with safety belt so keeps doggie safe and car clean. Enjoy. Take loads of pics as I regret not doing that and they grow quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

My little 8 week old Cavachon is really comfortable in my house now. He's only been here for 4 days but he's comfortable with the family and knows his was around. I've been having trouble with his sleeping arrangements, as I do not have a crate for him. I bought him a nice bed for the utility room and that's where he will be staying, but I want to know is it too early for me to put him in there alone? I've been sleeping in the front room with him, but I can't do this forever. I tried leaving him in the utility room alone for a little while before but his crying and whining made me feel terrible, so he slept in the front room with me again. He doesn't like the clock idea that people have said, and it's way too warm for a hot water bottle. Any tips?

I don't know, I'm sure there'll be people coming out saying I'm too harsh but he's going to need to get used to sleeping alone and the longer you postpone it the harder it will be. He will cry and he will whine but you need to remember there's nothing actually wrong with him. He's safely in your utility room, in a comfy bed with a nice warm blanket.

What I've done in the past is given them an old sweater or something (make sure it's been worn obviously) that smells of you as some comfort.

I know it's hard but it's going to be hard one way or the other, may as well get it over with as the more he gets used to snuggling up in bed with you the harder it will be on both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KatelynneGA14

dkod wrote: »
    Crate training is fab. Can then bring him to your room at night time. Crate training needs to be built up though by slowly introducing the crate. Ps I never liked the idea of a cage but honestly irs a godsend and I use it for the car as well and it can be used with safety belt so keeps doggie safe and car clean. Enjoy. Take loads of pics as I regret not doing that and they grow quickly.

I can't fit anything to do with the puppy in my tiny boxroom. That's why I've been staying in the front room with him, but I know I definitely can't get a crate in the next few weeks, so for the time being I need a way for him to sleep alone in his bed when I'm not there :) thanks for your answer though

Also, if it helps (don't mean to confuse the issue) there are plenty of people who'd have no problem with the dog in the bed. But just remember that if you decide to do so he's always going to want to be on the bed.

Personally I'm not a big fan (partly cause one of mine is too big) but to each his own. (I'd be lying if I said I'd never been tempted to bring them up for a nice warm cuddle)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KatelynneGA14

wexie wrote: »
    I don't know, I'm sure there'll be people coming out saying I'm too harsh but he's going to need to get used to sleeping alone and the longer you postpone it the harder it will be. He will cry and he will whine but you need to remember there's nothing actually wrong with him. He's safely in your utility room, in a comfy bed with a nice warm blanket.

What I've done in the past is given them an old sweater or something (make sure it's been worn obviously) that smells of you as some comfort.

I know it's hard but it's going to be hard one way or the other, may as well get it over with as the more he gets used to snuggling up in bed with you the harder it will be on both of you.

Thank you so much! I don't feel half as bad for thinking about leaving him. I'm going to try leave him alone in the room for tonight and see how it goes (I've been saying this for 2 days now and I keep giving in but we'll see how it goes). Thank you :)

• Advertisement

Thank you so much! I don't feel half as bad for thinking about leaving him. I'm going to try leave him alone in the room for tonight and see how it goes (I've been saying this for 2 days now and I keep giving in but we'll see how it goes). Thank you :)

Don't plan on getting too much sleep and remember that if you let him cry for 2 hours and then go into him it'll have been 2 hours wasted and it's confirming to him that if he cries and whines you'll come see him. (possibly cooing and aahing over him to make sure he's okay).

If you're really worried about him and want to make sure he's okay try to do it when he's quiet.

He needs to know that crying and whining doesn't make you appear, however going to sleep like a good pup and he'll see you in the morning.

In some ways they are like babies.

But like I said the important thing is to remember that he's fine, he's in his bed, he's warm, he's dry and he's healthy.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You will have to get up to him at least once in the night to let him out, pups that young have tiny bladders, so if you get up and let him out to the toilet, it will speed his toilet training up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just a heads up if you're going for a crate jebb is usually cheapest - http://www.jebbtools.ie/puppy-crates-for-sale BUT somebody mentioned seeing pet stuff in homestore and more yesterday so they'll possibly have puppy pens soon enough

Advertisement