Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passat CC B6 Gearbox replaced, cruise control now not working 4th,5th,6th gears

• 23-07-2014 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

The gearbox on my 09 Passat CC tdi recently broke and needed to be replaced. I sourced another gearbox from a 2011 CC Bluemotion tdi which has slightly longer gearing in 4th, 5th and 6th. All went well with a new clutch and flywheel fitted also while the gearbox was out. Anyway. I got the car back today and when on the motorway i tried to activate the cruise control, but it wouldnt activate. Long story short cruise control works but only in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear which have the same ratios as the original gearbox not month in 4th, 5th and 6th which are slight longer geared that the original box.Although it will activate briefly for a second of two in 4th before switching off.
    Any ideas on how I can be.t it working again for all gears? Can anything be recalibrated etc?
    Any help would be much appricated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Correction. Cruise control will operate in 5th gear but not 4th or 6th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

It sounds odd that it'd work in 5th but not 4th or 6th if it was an issue with the change in gearing (probably the most plausible explanation). I'd have a diagnostic scan done to see if there are any errors recorded by the cruise control system.

I received this response from Ross Tech:
    "My understanding is that the engine controller monitors the relationship between RPM and vehicle speed and when it detects too much of a deviation from known gear ratios, it doesn't allow cruise to operate. I am not aware of any way to use VCDS to get cruise working in your car. You may want to check with a chiptuner to see if it's possible to install the "wrong" chip file in your ECU but I have no idea if that is possible. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

The ECU has a ratio for each forward gear (well, it has two ratios for each actually, a min and max to account for tyre sizes and wear). It compares RPM to speed to work out what gear you're in, rather than having 7 switches at the gearbox. Your new 5th gear is probably at the low end of your previous 6th gear, ratio wise. In 4th and 6th it doesn't have a matching ratio so it assumes you're in neutral. It should be logging errors to tell you there's a mismatch between speed and RPM, and I'm surprised it hasn't thrown the EML yet.

As Ross-Tech have correctly said, it needs to have the ECU flashed with the ratios from a Bluemotion bin. It's a bit beyond the usual "chipping", so I'm not sure who you could bring it to. Joe Power is probably a good start, he might not be able to do it, but might at least advise someone who could. There's a lot of cowboys in this field, so be very cautious about who you bring it to. It's well beyond the remit of most "tuning" companies.

I would have assumed VCDS would be able to modify these parameters, but judging by Ross-Tech's response, maybe not.

The ECU has a ratio for each forward gear (well, it has two ratios for each actually, a min and max to account for tyre sizes and wear). It compares RPM to speed to work out what gear you're in, rather than having 7 switches at the gearbox. Your new 5th gear is probably at the low end of your previous 6th gear, ratio wise. In 4th and 6th it doesn't have a matching ratio so it assumes you're in neutral. It should be logging errors to tell you there's a mismatch between speed and RPM, and I'm surprised it hasn't thrown the EML yet.

As Ross-Tech have correctly said, it needs to have the ECU flashed with the ratios from a Bluemotion bin. It's a bit beyond the usual "chipping", so I'm not sure who you could bring it to. Joe Power is probably a good start, he might not be able to do it, but might at least advise someone who could. There's a lot of cowboys in this field, so be very cautious about who you bring it to. It's well beyond the remit of most "tuning" companies.

I would have assumed VCDS would be able to modify these parameters, but judging by Ross-Tech's response, maybe not.

Thanks for the reply.
    I was in touch with Joe yesterday and he said he could do it, he's just to get a file from a blue motion and extract the data for 4th and 6th gear and place it into my map.

I've checked vcds for faults but none are showing

• Advertisement
Advertisement