Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House/contents insurance

Options
  • 23-07-2014 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am living at home and the house doesn't have any insurance and the owner won't insure it either, so I am looking to take out contents insurance for my own items only.

Is it even possible to insure my own contents if the house itself isn't insured? Do you know of any companies who allow you to insure items if the house itself isn't insured?

I would appreciate any information on this.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

We rent and have contents insurance... No idea if the landlord has buildings insurance but that's his problem, not ours. I certainly don't recall being asked about the landlords insurance when we were quoted.

We are in Dublin, and pay €150 per year for €40,000 including nominated jewellery eg engagement ring etc with Axa, so I'm sure they'll quote you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

You mention "living at home" and "the owner". Do you mean your parents house?

It is very easy for a tenant to get contents insurance providing they have their own defined area. Very difficult to get the cover in a communal type scenario, especially if it is family. The problem is trying to establish who owns what in the event of a claim and who can let other persons access to the property where your stuff is kept

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Hi

Yes I do live at home. I would only have a few items on the insurance and they would be specified items (laptop, camera, jewellery), that's it. Other items would just be the usual stuff covered on contents insurance.

I have contacted one company so far (been busy with other stuff) and they said that I can only take out insurance to cover everyone's items, excluding the structure, but I need to have a list of items for each person (presumably so they know who owns what) and it's coming in at €270 for that.

I am going to contact other companies next week and see what, if any, insurance I can get.

I think you may have misunderstood the insurance company that quoted you. You cannot insure other people's property/belongings, but home owners can take out contents cover that will include family members who live at home. In other words, your stuff will be covered under the family member's insurance who owns the house. It doesn't matter who pays the premium but it must be the home owners policy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

oldyouth wrote: »
    I think you may have misunderstood the insurance company that quoted you. You cannot insure other people's property/belongings, but home owners can take out contents cover that will include family members who live at home. In other words, your stuff will be covered under the family member's insurance who owns the house. It doesn't matter who pays the premium but it must be the home owners policy
    The home owner won't take out insurance though which is why I am looking to take out insurance for my own items. The policy would be in my name, no one else's.

• Advertisement

If you get offered a policy that suits your needs, just make sure the exact circumstances are stated on the proposal form, for your own protection in the event of a claim

Advertisement