Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for a stopover at Queenstown, November 2014

Options
  • 23-07-2014 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently on a WHV, based in Brisbane, Oz but I want to visit Queenstown for approx 4-5 days before I fly home to Ireland from there.

I have a tight budget (about NZ $1100),including the one way flight from Brisbane.

I'm wondering a couple of things:

If anyone has travelled from Brisbane/Australia to Queenstown, which airline is best to travel to Queenstown? (the cheaper the better).
    I'll be travelling with a large suitcase (approx 20-25kgs) and carry on luggage too.

Can anyone recommend a good, affordable hostel to stay with? Security is a concern as I'll have all my possessions ready for home.

What activities are a must whilst there?

Or am I being realistic? Should I try Auckland instead? Anyone I've spoken to has said Queenstown is the best destination for such a short period of time.
    I would really like to see the 'real' NZ, but all advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who can help me. :)

Laura.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Queenstown is nice, very nice, but it isn't the "real" NZ by anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

$1100 including the cost of flights will leave you with fc*k all money to do anything really in Queenstown. Enough for hostel accomodation, a few beers and some cheap grub and thats about it. Bring your hiking boots if you want cheap activities!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's ski season now and most of the best hiking trails outside the town will be dodgy due to the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Its an expensive place, especially as so many wealthy Australians use it for weekend ski and party trips the prices are to match their wallets.

So $1100 might not go super far if you do a few activities and hit the bars, but there are lots of activities geared to for those on a budget. November weather will be touch and go, when I've been down there in November its been warm enough to sit in the spa pool all day but is very changeable and gets frost and fog a lot. Typical mountain weather.

But as for scenery and natural experience it really is out of this world. The mountains and lakes are breathtaking and the town feels much like an alpine resort in Switzerland, there are plenty of activities to do so check out the local iSite for tourist information and bookings.

Qantas, Air NZ, Jetstar and Virgin all fly from Oz but I think only Virgin/Air NZ direct from Brisbane. Probably not going to be cheap flights as such as there arent many flights going there and you'll have to pay extra for baggage, entertainment and food inflight. The approach through the mountains is almost a thrill ride in itself! As its a tiny airport and runway you'l have to go up to Auckland or Christchurch to connect with your international flight home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Queenstown is nice, very nice, but it isn't the "real" NZ by anyway.

Neither is Auckland.

Pre-earthquake, I'd have advised basing yourself in Christchurch for five days ... or maybe going in to Queenstown and spending the 4-5 days travelling from there to Christchurch.

Dunno about the situation for tourists there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Depending on your hobbies and whether you like hiking or not but I would base myself in wanaka rather than QT. Its just as beautiful, has some amazing hikes if the weather plays ball and has some good ski fields too. Its way more chilled than QT also, a definite plus for me!

Just for price reference, this is what activities roughly cost in QT (or did in 2012!):
    Skydive $350
    Bungee $180
    Shotover jet $130
    Luge rides $90
    Ski day pass $100 (rentals $40)
    Milford day trip $120

Along with accomodation, food and beers it all adds up! You'll regret coming over and doing it half assed.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

Thanks so much everyone, its great to get honest and relevant advice from people who have 'been there, done that'.

I'll have to go back to the drawing board and rethink the possibility of going over/my budget.

Regardless of when I go over, at least I know where and what to aim for.

Cheers again all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

Thanks so much everyone, its great to get honest and relevant advice from people who have 'been there, done that'.

I'll have to go back to the drawing board and rethink the possibility of going over/my budget.

Regardless of when I go over, at least I know where and what to aim for.

Cheers again all. :)

Advertisement