Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I keep my BTEA

Options
  • 23-07-2014 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I had been receiving BTEA for my first year of college but needed to take a leave of absence for medical reasons. When I first received BTEA I was living with my girlfriend but we recently split and I moved to my mothers house and a different welfare office.. The old welfare officer had said I may need to switch to job seekers till college starts back but the new one is saying I may not get BTEA because I haven't been on jobseekers for six months prior to applying (was receiving BTEA). Does anyone know whether a leave of absence is allowed with BTEA? And if living with my mother could affect it as they are asking for her means to be tested as well as my own. Any experience or information would be great, I am really stressing about this and couldn't find anything about it online, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

your best bet is to ring citizens information, or contact the social welfare office. Also if you are having problems getting btea maybe try get a politician to look into it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Getting a politician to look into it for you is like poking a beehive with a stick: the largest result is you just piss the bees off; making it tougher to get anything out of them. I know this from personal experience during the last election.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

Getting a politician to look into it for you is like poking a beehive with a stick: the largest result is you just piss the bees off; making it tougher to get anything out of them. I know this from personal experience during the last election.

maybe you are right, and i have never went to one myself however i do know people in similar situations to OP who have benefited from going to see one.Its worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭lovelyjubbly

BTEA is paid during term time and then you go on jobseekers for the summer until the course resumes or if you get a summer job you are still entitled to BTEA when college resumes (if it's the same course). However your circumstances have changed and they can look to means test you under your Mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ring the Carrick On Shannon office

They are good at answering questions

Back to Education Section
    Department of Social Protection
    Social Welfare Services Office
    Government Buildings
    Shannon Lodge
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    Leitrim
    Ireland
    Tel:(071) 967 2616
    Locall:1890 927 999
    Homepage: http://www.welfare.ie
    [Edit]
    [Report!]

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement