Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J-1 Graduate Visa - No Job

Options
  • 23-07-2014 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some advice in my job search. I moved to Boston in mid-April on the J-1 1 year graduate visa, and have been completely unable to find a job. I have tried using LinkedIn, Indeed.com, Monster, Craigslist and have also mailed letters directly to human resources in dozens of companies - in total maybe 100 applications. I have heard back from a total of 3 companies - (1 unsuccessful, 2nd is continuing to interview candidates in the hope they find someone with more experience and without visa issues, 3rd I don't think will go anywhere).

I come from a finance background with an undergraduate degree in business from DCU & a master's degree in Finance from TCD. I have also worked in derivatives middle office analyst role in Dublin for the past 16 months. I have always worked hard, achieving 1st class honours & distinction consistently in my degrees, and I have great references from my last job.

Am I doing something wrong? I have now spent the last 12.5 weeks applying, and only have 3.5 weeks left. I'm not sure what else I can do, but I know I don't want to return to Ireland until my year is up. I have had my resume/cover letter reviewed multiple times and the feedback is that they are perfect for my industry. Does anyone have any advice for other avenues I can pursue?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Have you tried agencies like Robert Half? I'm not in that business, but in the IT field it can sometimes be a lot easier to find a job thru a contracting company than applying directly to individual companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

My guess is that the 1 year limit on your employment is the deal killer. By the time you are fully up to speed learning the type of job you're after it will be time to go

Most jobs, even with your level of qualifications, is by word of mouth. There's lots of very smart well educated people in Boston. Knowing the right people won't get you the job, but it moves your resume closer to the top of he pile

My recommendation would be to network-there's an Irish Networking group-they usually have a Summer time booze cruise (as opposed to normally scheduled meeting) maybe you could meet someone there who could pull you in

Secondly, see if you can get ANYTHING through a temp agency. Get your foot in the door, then as people get to know, that should open up some more doors.

I'm on the train right now so have to cut it short-respond back and will see if I can think of anyone/anything else to help you out

Just had a brainwave. Figure out which companies have a presence in Dublin....I know State Street does.....maybe there's an opportunity to start a position in boston with a move to moving back to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FergusConcannon

Thanks a million whitey1 for the ideas! I will give it another go with companies that specifically have an office in Dublin. I also reached out to my sponsor here in the U.S. and they are trying to reach out to contacts.

A big problem with this visa is that I cannot work with staffing/recruiting agencies at all - all temp/project jobs go through these agencies (and you are on the agencies payroll).

I have heard a lot of people who have gone for these types of jobs and have arranged something as regards the paperwork with friends/family/contacts, but I would have no interest in pursuing this route. I guess I just have to keep pumping out letters and maybe contact Alumni.

Thanks a million whitey1 for the ideas! I will give it another go with companies that specifically have an office in Dublin. I also reached out to my sponsor here in the U.S. and they are trying to reach out to contacts.

A big problem with this visa is that I cannot work with staffing/recruiting agencies at all - all temp/project jobs go through these agencies (and you are on the agencies payroll).

I have heard a lot of people who have gone for these types of jobs and have arranged something as regards the paperwork with friends/family/contacts, but I would have no interest in pursuing this route. I guess I just have to keep pumping out letters and maybe contact Alumni.

I don't know if we're on the same page. Knowing the right people will get you to the top of the line - that's all. The company either hire you or not.....knowing people will get you in the door....and get your resume into the hands of the hiring manager....not the HR robot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 FergusConcannon

whitey1 wrote: »
    I don't know if we're on the same page. Knowing the right people will get you to the top of the line - that's all. The company either hire you or not.....knowing people will get you in the door....and get your resume into the hands of the hiring manager....not the HR robot

Oh I understand that perfectly- a huge problem I have encountered so far is not even being given a chance for an interview when I know I am ideal for the position (the job description could be describing my previous role). This visa really needs to be extended to 2 years to make it viable, particularly in light of the investment that companies have to put in to you when you start. It's only fair they get a return on that investment which typically takes longer than 12 months. I guess I just need to keep looking and applying, maybe widen my search area beyond Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ewa24

My advice, don't follow the visa requirements word by word. It is almost impossible to get a job with CIEE's requirements. I tried doing everything by CIEE and I was jobless for a good month and a half, then I started looking for a real job and kept the visa talk and paperwork to a minimum and only then did I get places. I am currently working here now almost six months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Oh I understand that perfectly- a huge problem I have encountered so far is not even being given a chance for an interview when I know I am ideal for the position (the job description could be describing my previous role). This visa really needs to be extended to 2 years to make it viable, particularly in light of the investment that companies have to put in to you when you start. It's only fair they get a return on that investment which typically takes longer than 12 months. I guess I just need to keep looking and applying, maybe widen my search area beyond Boston.

I was reading there that from next year people applying will get 2 years, pretty much because of the type of issues you've been having.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

This is good advice actually. Don't say anything about a visa anywhere. If they ask you if you can legally work in the US say 'yes' unless they prod you for more information about the visa. Then get them to fill out the training plan after they've already hired you.

Advertisement