Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cpu Upgrade Help

Options
  • 23-07-2014 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey i would like to get help to upgrade my CPU

My Specs:
    PSU:Dell 730 Watt
    Cpu:Intel core 2 quad q9550 @2.83ghz
    GPU:Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 2gb edition
    Motherboard: Dell Inc 0PP150 (Socket 775)
    Ram: 6gb ddr2 6400
    Monitor: BenQ E900HD(Resolution: 1366x768)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

You have one of the later LGA775 CPUs so there's really not much of a selection when it comes to upgrades. A Q9650 would be considered the fastest LGA775 processor (excluding the extremely overpriced Extreme Edition CPUs), but it's a very marginal speed increase from yours, and wouldn't really be worth it.

Unfortunately that's really all you can do unless you decide to upgrade your motherboard. However being a Dell that's a little trickier than usual since they use non-standard form factors. Even if you did you'd then need to change your RAM because DDR2 isn't compatible with any modern motherboards.

You'd honestly be better off either buying a new one or buying a newer second hand machine.

In the interim I'd recommend getting an SSD. It'll give you far far more of a noticeable speed increase than any other hardware upgrade will give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Markw1998

maki wrote: »
    You have one of the later LGA775 CPUs so there's really not much of a selection when it comes to upgrades. A Q9650 would be considered the fastest LGA775 processor (excluding the extremely overpriced Extreme Edition CPUs), but it's a very marginal speed increase from yours, and wouldn't really be worth it.

Unfortunately that's really all you can do unless you decide to upgrade your motherboard. However being a Dell that's a little trickier than usual since they use non-standard form factors. Even if you did you'd then need to change your RAM because DDR2 isn't compatible with any modern motherboards.

You'd honestly be better off either buying a new one or buying a newer second hand machine.

In the interim I'd recommend getting an SSD. It'll give you far far more of a noticeable speed increase than any other hardware upgrade will give you.

I have corsair vengeance ram 8gb ddr3 from before! So if i was to upgrade mobos what would you recommend? Like i have no problem upgrading mobo and cpu! :)

Markw1998 wrote: »
    I have corsair vengeance ram 8gb ddr3 from before! So if i was to upgrade mobos what would you recommend? Like i have no problem upgrading mobo and cpu! :)

You might have a problem though. Dell historically used non-standard form factors for their hardware, and certainly used BTX for a while.

A new ATX motherboard might not fit in your case, and if it did it might get fried when you turned it on because Dell used a different pin-out on their mobo power connector.

If you can post up a picture of the interior of your case I'll be able to tell you.
    Worst case scenario you'd need a new case, PSU, motherboard and CPU.

You might have a problem though. Dell historically used non-standard form factors for their hardware, and certainly used BTX for a while.

A new ATX motherboard might not fit in your case, and if it did it might get fried when you turned it on because Dell used a different pin-out on their mobo power connector.

If you can post up a picture of the interior of your case I'll be able to tell you.
    Worst case scenario you'd need a new case, PSU, motherboard and CPU.

Its a Dell XPS 630i case.... I dont know how to put a pic up on a phone... :(

Its a Dell XPS 630i case.... I dont know how to put a pic up on a phone... :(

You're in luck then. I think it was the 630 series that first started using standard hardware.

What's your total budget?

• Advertisement

You're in luck then. I think it was the 630 series that first started using standard hardware.

What's your total budget?

Ill say around 400-500 euro :)

Ill say around 400-500 euro :)

4670K - €203.96
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/Sockel+1150/78027/Intel+Core+i5-4670K+Box%2C+LGA1150.article

Z97 mobo - €87.14
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/169024/ASRock+Z97+Pro3%2C+Sockel+1150%2C+ATX.article

You're going to hit diminishing returns going much higher, depending on what you're planning on doing. Save the rest and get yourself an SSD.

Will these definetely work with my pc? Just wondering as earlier you said you think the 630 used diffrent mobos....

Will these definetely work with my pc? Just wondering as earlier you said you think the 630 used diffrent mobos....

Pre-XPS630 Dell used (mostly) proprietary/non-ATX hardware. From then on they started the switch over to ATX. The 630i came out after the 630 and definitely uses ATX standard motherboards and PSUs.

Every picture from a Google image search shows ATX motherboards inside them, so yes you'll be fine.

And how much do you think the shipping for both of them will be ? To Ireland,cavan! :)

• Advertisement

And how much do you think the shipping for both of them will be ? To Ireland,cavan! :)

€18.99 flat rate from those guys.

If you go to https://skinflint.co.uk/eu/ and search for the components there, then scroll down the results until you get to hardwareversand and add them to your cart using that link you'll probably get a discount equal(ish) to the shipping rate.

Discount codes here too.

Advertisement