Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to live in Limerick

• 23-07-2014 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello everyone!

My husband and I are planning to move to Limerick in a month or so and I was wondering where would be the best area in Limerick city to live in. He is self employed and will be working from home so being near a job is not a concern.
    We would ideally like to live in an area where everything we would need is within walking distance and where public transit is not difficult to get to. We are both late 20's creative types and I would definitely like to make friends who are also creative.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I like the Newtown Annacotty/Castletroy area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

You're going to get a string of answers telling you that, actually, round our way is just ideal... ;)

How important is it to you to be near the city centre? (is that what you mean by "everything we need within walking distance"?) Do you have kids, or plan to? (i.e. are schools, playgrounds, safe open spaces, etc. a factor?) Are you thinking house or apartment, etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Hooked

Just be sure wherever you settle that there's appropriate broadband for you and your oh.

I'm guessing 'creatives' = designers?

I'm a designer myself and my oh works from home. We have the 120mb broadband from UPC.

I'm not sure if there are any areas in or around the city that UPC don't cover - but that would be one of my priorities if I was working from home. Good broadband.

Also... Are ye looking to rent or buy? Rent, I assume? Apartment or house?

There's probably tonnes up on daft. And as ye are not travelling to work, I'd say UL side of town isn't a bad place to start looking... if ye want to be close to Dublin road (assuming from Dublin)?

So...
    Castletroy
    Annacotty
    Monaleen side of the city

But it all depends on if ye have a car, will have trips back home often, do ye have or plan to have kids, etc... What sports, activities, etc... are ye into?

They'd all be a factor for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Raheen/Dooradoyle - plenty of amenities to keep you busy and only a 15 min drive from UL

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭xxtippchickxx

are you looking to rent or buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ren0bscure

Thank you for all the answers!

We are planning to stay from 6 months to possibly a year to see how we like the city. Most likely in an apartment, though I would love to have a balcony or small garden for plants. I've already fell in love with Limerick after doing a bit of research. We love sight seeing and hiking.
    We don't plan to have any children right now, but would still like to live somewhere safe. My husband is moving from England and I will be joining him from the U.S. I've always wanted to live in Ireland since I was a teenager, it is such a beautiful place!

We do not own a car so we would need to be close to shops within walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭xxtippchickxx

the apartments called windmill apartments on the dock road are nice apartments :) we rented 6years ago when we first moved out 5mins from city and you have a balcony :)

Also. does anyone know if it is difficult to find an allotment for a veg garden in the summer?

the apartments called windmill apartments on the dock road are nice apartments :) we rented 6years ago when we first moved out 5mins from city and you have a balcony :)

Not having a go here tipp chick... But all a read about the dock road lately is 'heroin den' and trouble-central... I've been living in the city my while life. I'd avoid town like the plague. IF IT WERE ME!

I'd stick to the outskirts of the city - accessible by bus to town and near a supermarket, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Mc Love wrote: »
    Raheen/Dooradoyle - plenty of amenities to keep you busy and only a 15 min drive from UL

Second this, I'd advise staying away from the UL / castletroy area, unless you like having 1000's of students around the whole time.

Raheen is on the main limerick bus route, 10 minutes drives, 35/40 mins walk from the city centre and also has the crescent shopping centre (mall :-D)

What is your budget per month?

EDIT: For the love of god stay away from the Dock Road! Bloody junkies all over the place.

• Advertisement

ren0bscure wrote: »
    Also. does anyone know if it is difficult to find an allotment for a veg garden in the summer?

Can't see why ye wouldn't get ye're hands on a house with a nice back garden for that (but that's all depending on your budget)... I saw 4 veg allotments (if indeed that's what they are) in Clare street park - on the Dublin road.

Maybe they're not though...

Also, If I were ye OP. I'd stick to the outskirts. But I guess that's just me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/alphonsus-villas-limerick-city-limerick/1467571/
    ...something like above if you want to be in the city itself. Close to everything and no need to worry about public transport as you just won't need it. There has been some trouble (nothing too serious) lately close to this particular area, but it can be avoided by a simple detour if walking into town.
    Otherwise I would suggest moving your search out towards Dooradoyle/Raheen, but have a look at anything available on the South Circular Road (which is between dooradoyle and the city centre).

There are some 'creative' types who have bought (and rented) in some of the older parts of the city, but personally I believe these areas have yet to shed their 'no-go' status, especially at night.

If you find anything you like on 'daft.ie' just stick a link up here and I'm sure you will get replies advising you to consider it or look elsewhere.

If you do need high speed Broadband I would suggest that you particularly look at places that are serviced by UPC cable....otherwise you will be waiting for Eircom to upgrade their network and this is a very slow process at present.

Limerick, like all other Towns and Cities, does have certain areas where you would not want to live (or rear children). But there are also plenty of areas where people live quite happily.

What are your thoughts on a place like this and the area that it is in?

rent.ie/houses-to-let/5-Naughtons-Place-Upper-Henry-Street-Limerick-City-Limerick-City-Centre/1465914/

Well, you will have one of Limerick's more creative artists (read that as a bit overwhelming) living almost next door to you.
    It's also down a quiet alleyway, which could be a small risk at night.
    Also backs on the the playground of a Primary School so quite loud at least twice a day.
    The one I linked to is only 50 yards up the road but of the two it would be my choice.
    Some nice and very varied neighbours as well....both elderly and younger as well as a couple of families.

Also note that there is a large church located here which has it's own team of bellringers who can be heard at least every Sunday morning...not particularly early, but the locals seem used to it.

You haven't mentioned your budget yet, but it could help to narrow things down considerably.

As regards this particular area it would be better to use PM's as there are differing opinions here on this topic.

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Garden-Apartment-Swanson-Terrace-O-Connell-Avenue-Limerick-City-Limerick-City-Centre/1464651/

Lovely spot, on O'Connell Ave, set back from the road a bit, nice stroll down to City Centre.

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Joseph-Street-Limerick-City-Limerick-City-Centre/1454049/

Looks like very good value, but obviously would need a viewing 1st.
    Anything you find at the O'Connell Ave end of St Joseph St or Wolfetone Street is worth considering.

oh, sorry! I believe my husband wants a budget of around 500 euros for rent.

At that budget you are really looking at apartments rather than houses.
    Avoid anything that says 'Dock Rd.' and most of the 'Dublin Rd' stuff.

The house on Naughton Place you linked to (and the one I linked on Joseph St.) are what you would be looking at 'housewise' to maintain your budget.

Having said that if you could stretch it a bit the one on Swanson Terrace is definitely worth the extra money. It's still relatively cheap for it's location and a far nicer spot to walk out the door from in the morning, even though it's only around the corner from Naughton Place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Hi op, I'm living on Ashbourne Ave, just off with circular road, great area, 15 min walk to town, around the same to the crescent shopping centre. There's a 24 hour shop at the end of the road and the train station is approx 10 to 15 minute walk. There's also a bus stop within 5 minutes walk.

The only draw back is it is quite close to Mary I, but the students from there are usually very quiet and has a great theatre on the campus.

South circular road is the area you'd be looking for on Daft. Lots of nice houses and apartments in the area.

It's the best of both worlds, you have the convenience of the city with the benefits of the suburbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Corbally is one of the nicest areas of any city in Ireland and is close to the City Centre.
    Regular buses, supermarket, bars and a few restaurants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Not to put you off but there is very little quality houses/ flats to rent in Limerick at the moment, very little

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

At €500 a month you'll need to make some compromises. A decent house in a nice part of the city centre is unlikely. But an apartment or a small house in a city suburb could work. When are you moving? In the autumn there will be more competition for properties near UL, Mary I and LIT as the students will be coming back.

We are planning to move in late August/September. At the moment we would like to find a nice little place within that price until we can find something better. We would like to live in the city, in an area that is safe enough for a young couple.
    We would definitely want to avoid any areas with a high crime rate. With any place, there will always be a bit of a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The upper Henry street/ South Circular road/ O Connell ave area that you are looking at is a great place to live, the Mary I students are grand to be honest and that Lime tree theatre on the Mary I campus is great to have on your doorstep. As well as that Mary I has a huge amount of green space for walking/Running etc. Crescent shopping centre and town are on your doorstep.
    The obvious drawback is the risk of some anti social behaviour in the area due to the presence of a homeless "wet" hostel between you and town, I wouldn't let it hold me back though. Why would you want to live in Raheen/ Caherdavin/ Castletroy etc if you've no kids??

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DroghedaTutor

sorry to hijack this thread a bit but does anyone have any thoughts on the mulgrave street area specifically rossa avenue? i'm renting in castletroy at the moment and am considering a move to rossa avenue. no issues on the cost, my question is more re the area (safety, nighttime anti-social behaviour etc).

thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

sorry to hijack this thread a bit but does anyone have any thoughts on the mulgrave street area specifically rossa avenue? i'm renting in castletroy at the moment and am considering a move to rossa avenue. no issues on the cost, my question is more re the area (safety, nighttime anti-social behaviour etc).

thanks in advance!

Castletroy > Mulgrave Street. IMO.

Wouldn't be a big fan of Mulgrave street, given the choose I'd choose Castletroy every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

thanks in advance!

You got a PM in your other thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057268869

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭barry181091

Sorry to hijack too. Will be working at the Crescent basically and have a friend right in Castletroy offering me a room.

What would the cycle commute be like? According to Google it's ~10km but this always depends on roads, hills etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Sorry to hijack too. Will be working at the Crescent basically and have a friend right in Castletroy offering me a room.

What would the cycle commute be like? According to Google it's ~10km but this always depends on roads, hills etc

It'd be fairly flat but there's no real shortcuts to speak of, I wouldn't fancy it myself, you'd be a lot better off in town or Dooradoyle(where the crescent is)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DroghedaTutor

davo2001, when you say you're not a fan of mulgrave street, could you give a bit more details on why you're not?

would you consider the area a saf place to live for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I imagine most answers will concentrate on three areas

Castletroy/Monaleen/Annacotty
    Raheen/Dooradoyle
    Corbally

Advertisement