Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to live in Limerick

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

davo2001 wrote: »
    Castletroy > Mulgrave Street. IMO.

Wouldn't be a big fan of Mulgrave street, given the choose I'd choose Castletroy every time.

Mulgrave street has it all. Prison, Mental hospital, graveyard *and* it's built on a mass grave from the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Mulgrave street has it all. Prison, Mental hospital, graveyard *and* it's built on a mass grave from the famine.

Personally I wouldn't want to be outside walking in the area after dark.

OP - To sum up your looking for something cheap (5 a month), well serviced (shops etc) and nice. I'd say go for the city centre. The Shannon Arms might suit. http://www.daft.ie/lettings/shannon-arms-henry-street-limerick-city-limerick/1466763/
    or Cruises Street:
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/chapel-lane-cruises-street-limerick-city-limerick/1467525/

Happy Hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DroghedaTutor

anyone have any thoughts on clonard terrace in rosbrien?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 KevPS4

mass grave from the famine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭peppa 1986

Nobody has suggested the Ennis road. Lovely apartments beside river or at various locations off the Ennis road, lovely walk to town and easy access to shops etc

• Advertisement

KevPS4 wrote: »
    mass grave from the famine?
    Trying to find a source for this on the internet. It was something I was told as a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Trying to find a source for this on the internet. It was something I was told as a kid.

Mulgrave street predates the famine by some time. The county gaol was in its present site then as was the "lunatic asylum". There was an artillery barracks where the new road leading to sexton street is and the county Infirmary was where Limerick senior college is. It's possible that some bodies are buried around these sites but a mass grave is a stretch.

I don't speak from experience but Mulgrave street is very long, some parts strike me as lovely places to live, others less so. But if you have no kids then it's ideally located close to town. I can't understand why people without kids would want to live in Limerick suburbia.

1huge1 wrote: »
    I imagine most answers will concentrate on three areas

Castletroy/Monaleen/Annacotty
    Raheen/Dooradoyle
    Corbally

North Circular Road is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yeah, Mulgrave St would probably be fine if you aren't planning having children or only want somewhere for a few years until you do have children. But if you want children and a longerterm house, imo, a good compromise is to go slightly further out (about a 10 minute walk) to the Ballysimon Rd and the two estates, Lynwood and Woodlawn Parks, that are on either side of the road. You are still very close to town, but have the benefit of living in a mature pleasant area, with large safe greens where children can safely play out, and also have a large Dunnes a couple of minutes walk away. It's an especially good area for kids right now too, as the are 3 playcentres, a roller-rink and a go-carting place all within walking distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Mossess wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't want to be outside walking in the area after dark
    Happy Hunting
    Mulgrave st a no go but town is grand?
    Ah come off it please..

Mulgrave also had lcfe, so students around a lot and is fairly quiet all the time..
    Certainly would pick it over dock road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Woodland and lynwood(st Patrick's road area) would be very suitable aswell just outside town, quiet, lots of amenities also.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Mulgrave st a no go but town is grand?
    Ah come off it please..

Mulgrave also had lcfe, so students around a lot and is fairly quiet all the time..
    Certainly would pick it over dock road

Mulgrave St by the LCFE is almost William street which is in town. And by Mulgrave st I assume your counting the side streets too. They look lovely by day. At night though the area isn't great. Actually during the day it isn't great either when I think about it.

It'd be the flick of a coin on choosing it over the dock road. IMO I think both should be avoided.

stefanovich mentioned the NCR, a very nice area indeed, but I'd imagine it'd be very hard to find somewhere for a couple under €500.

Those apartments behind Ivans Shop (or what was ivans shop) are advertised at about 650. I'd imagine that they would take 500 to get someone in there, better they lying empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Hooked

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Woodland and lynwood(st Patrick's road area) would be very suitable aswell just outside town, quiet, lots of amenities also.

Gotta agree with this. But then, I'm from the area - grew up there, moved away - then moved back. So close to town, shops, schools, UL, etc... And nice and quiet. With a well established community.

I'm a designer OP, so if ye need advice on the 'creative types' of things to see and do - or contacts on the job front, just ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Mossess wrote: »
    Mulgrave St by the LCFE is almost William street which is in town. And by Mulgrave st I assume your counting the side streets too. They look lovely by day. At night though the area isn't great. Actually during the day it isn't great either when I think about it.

It'd be the flick of a coin on choosing it over the dock road. IMO I think both should be avoided.

stefanovich mentioned the NCR, a very nice area indeed, but I'd imagine it'd be very hard to find somewhere for a couple under €500.

Those apartments behind Ivans Shop (or what was ivans shop) are advertised at about 650. I'd imagine that they would take 500 to get someone in there, better they lying empty.

So to recap, you would recommend the Shannon Arms but the Dock road is a no go area. All of Mulgrave street is a shíthole day and night but Chapel lane/Cruises street is a grand spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 TembaWidearm

I like Mulgrave Street. Lots of amenities, very close to town, and it has multiple bus stops for the UL route. It usually seems pretty pleasant to me, and I pass up and down almost every day.

Advertisement