Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3-phase inverter

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

rock22 wrote: »

It has a switch which changes speed from 1400 to 700 rpm. This seems to switch from star to delta

What the motor is actually doing, is rearranging 6 windings into double the number of poles for the low speed, which arranges them in a star formation with each pair of windings in series, and half the number of poles for high speed, which is a delta setup with each pair of windings in parallel.

Double the number of poles, or pairs of poles, and its half the speed.

Its not the same as a standard star delta motor, which starts in star and changes to delta, to reduce the starting current by a factor of 3. They would be more or less the same speed in star and delta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    A few lugs would be an idea.

Essential id say. Its amazing they didnt disconnect with vibration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

Thanks again, especially for the explanations and diagrams. I am starting to understand it all. For my own interest, in the diagram from " red bible" is my motor wired as per left page or right page (d/W or Y/W)?

The shop is closed for annual leave for 2 weeks so I will wait till they return. I see single phase motors available for ~€200 and that is the way i will go.

Thanks for pointing out the wiring faults. It won't be needed if I go with new motor but I will point it out to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

rock22 wrote: »
    Thanks again, especially for the explanations and diagrams. I am starting to understand it all. For my own interest, in the diagram from " red bible" is my motor wired as per left page or right page (d/W or Y/W)?

The shop is closed for annual leave for 2 weeks so I will wait till they return. I see single phase motors available for ~€200 and that is the way i will go.

Thanks for pointing out the wiring faults. It won't be needed if I go with new motor but I will point it out to the shop.

From the outside there's no way to tell, I think the one on the left page was more common. Connections were the same for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MATTHEW18

hi does anyone know where I can buy an idler motor kin in ireland or ni thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

2011 wrote:
    Perhaps I am missing something, but I can't see how a motor could be "too old" to work with an inverter.

There's a clicker press 26 ton pressure driven by a three phase motor working in my neighbours shed , the press and motor is about forty years old. All working off a 20 Amp rcbo feeding an inverter

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Stoner wrote: »
    There's a clicker press 26 ton pressure driven by a three phase motor working in my neighbours shed , the press and motor is about forty years old. All working off a 20 Amp rcbo feeding an inverter

There you go.

I read some of the electrical specification documents for three phase motors for the Titanic and was amazed just how consistent they were with the specifications issued today. Some things haven't changed much.

Advertisement