Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal 8 driver pleads guilty

• 23-07-2014 9:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭

Donegal 8 case driver pleads guilty to dangerous driving causing deaths of eight others back in 2010.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Lives extinguished and lives ruined. Tragedy all round.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

At least the guilty plea removes the families of the deceased having to go through a trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

That man would be better of being one of the dead.

Truckermal wrote: »

I see what you mean, even though I don't agree. Punishment by the Courts is somewhat superfluous really,compared to how he has affected his future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Several delays to bringing this to trial based on his fitness to plead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Argued by his own legal team. They delayed this case for 3 years and questioned every shred of evidence. It's ridiculous it's been dragged on for so long but at least there can be some closure now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Stheno wrote: »
    At least the guilty plea removes the families of the deceased having to go through a trial.
    Am I reading it wrong or did he not just change the plea at the very last minute? In which case he kept them going as far as he could. I don't think there should be much of a reward for that behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

I'd tend to agree - a lot of lives snuffed out by this guy. He'll get, what, 5-10 years and a lifetime driving ban maybe?

Those of us who are parents should educate our kids about making choices that end up with them getting in cars with idiots like this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Dangel4x4 wrote: »
    I'd tend to agree - a lot of lives snuffed out by this guy. He'll get, what, 5-10 years and a lifetime driving ban maybe?

Those of us who are parents should educate our kids about making choices that end up with them getting in cars with idiots like this.

Hopefully 5 yrs for each death & to run consecutively:mad:. Waste of space:mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Dangel4x4 wrote: »

Those of us who are parents should educate our kids about making choices that end up with them getting in cars with idiots like this...

I'd put my money on suspended sentence and 10 year driving ban at most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

He is scum for leaving it till the end to plead GUILTY.

Why in gods name can the legal system be made a joke out of.

He was the driver and caused another innocent motorists death and also the stupidity of him to allow 7 and himself in a car only for 5 and at that with fully grown adults is tight.

The lawyers and barristers made a small fortune off this and to be honest most cases as the lenght it takes to bring to court.

RIP to all involved and feel for the families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

It's very interesting to see people using the words "idiot" and "waste of space" so freely on here when they probably have not got a clue of the circumstances surrounding the tragedy.

About time a moderator stepped in before a member of this mans family see these immature individuals comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It's very interesting to see people using the words "idiot" and "waste of space" so freely on here when they probably have not got a clue of the circumstances surrounding the tragedy.

About time a moderator stepped in before a member of this mans family see these immature individuals comments

What do you want people to say ya he is a great lad....

Come off it, we had this same chorus at the time, even though the facts were perfectly clear, but the guy just plead guilty. No way you can claim mysterious "circumstances" excuse him now.

No I expect people to show a bit of respect to everyone involved when they don't know the details of what happened. No one has the right to brand this man and idiot or a waste of space. He killed his best friends it was hardly intentional. A bit of respect. For everyone involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Uh, what?

7 people are dead and he is to blame.

What do you want people to say?

And people are being respectful to the dead. He deserves none as his actions, dragging out the case for so long, pleading not guilty in the first place(I mean come on!) are deplorable.

He killed his best friends it was hardly intentional. A bit of respect. For everyone involved.

So they unintentionally ended up with 8 people in a car?

You're right - he killed them. Respect is earned and this guy certainly doesn't deserve any.

No I expect people to show a bit of respect to everyone involved when they don't know the details of what happened. No one has the right to brand this man and idiot or a waste of space. He killed his best friends it was hardly intentional. A bit of respect. For everyone involved.

Perfectly clear???? Have you ever driven on the road where this accident happened? How are you so sure that the man hasn't plead guilty to avoid the suffering that a trial would bring to the family of the deceased??? You don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

So they unintentionally ended up with 8 people in a car?

You're right - he killed them. Respect is earned and this guy certainly doesn't deserve any.

He didnt force them into the car did he? I'm not excusing his actions they wer unbelievably stupid but I genuinely beleive he has a life sentance hanging over him for the rest of his days because of that stupidity. It's this great Irish tradition to never speak ill of the dead yet every passenger willingly got into that car knowing full well what kind of a driver he was. They made the exact same stupid decisions he did.

All grown men and all best friends well aware of the dangers of travelling in an overloaded car. I'm not sayin you have to have a positive opinion of him but the choice of words on here are unacceptable

• Advertisement

As the driver he was certainly responsible, but the car was over-loaded and the passengers knowingly rode in it so were just a small amount responsible too.(I'll probably get flamed for that, but it is none the less true).How many of us did something similar in our youth and got away with it? Any sentence passed will not compare to the life sentence he (and his family) will serve knowing he killed his friends
    As he has pleaded guilty, we can assume that the other motorist involved wasn't to blame I guess.

No I expect people to show a bit of respect to everyone involved when they don't know the details of what happened.

But we do know the details, we knew the details years ago. They were in the papers, with photos of the scene and everything.

JC01 wrote: »
    He didnt force them into the car did he? I'm not excusing his actions they wer unbelievably stupid but I genuinely beleive he has a life sentance hanging over him for the rest of his days because of that stupidity. It's this great Irish tradition to never speak ill of the dead yet every passenger willingly got into that car knowing full well what kind of a driver he was. They made the exact same stupid decisions he did.

He equally didn't force them out of the car - It's the drivers responsibility to make sure they're not breaking any laws, and it's the drivers responsibility to ensure the car isn't overloaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

He is scum for leaving it till the end to plead GUILTY.

Why in gods name can the legal system be made a joke out of.

He was the driver and caused another innocent motorists death and also the stupidity of him to allow 7 and himself in a car only for 5 and at that with fully grown adults is tight.

The lawyers and barristers made a small fortune off this and to be honest most cases as the lenght it takes to bring to court.

RIP to all involved and feel for the families.

In this country we operate on the basis of innocent until proven guilty. By your argument anyone who is charged, should just plead guilty.
    It is up to the prosecution to prove guilt.

While he was stupid enough to allow 7 people plus himself in the car, the 7 who died were adults, you don't need a degree to tell you that 8 in a car may not end well.

I've every sympathy for the families of the deceased and that of the driver, as well as the driver. While he has destroyed the lives of his friends, he has also destroyed his own life, in one moment of foolishness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

He equally didn't force them out of the car - It's the drivers responsibility to make sure they're not breaking any laws, and it's the drivers responsibility to ensure the car isn't overloaded.

I never stated otherwise. As I said he made an extraordinarily stupid decision and undoubtably broke the law. I don't feel that justifies the hateful bile some people are spewing out on here though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

In this country we operate on the basis of innocent until proven guilty. By your argument anyone who is charged, should just plead guilty.
    It is up to the prosecution to prove guilt.

While he was stupid enough to allow 7 people plus himself in the car, the 7 who died were adults, you don't need a degree to tell you that 8 in a car may not end well.

I've every sympathy for the families of the deceased and that of the driver, as well as the driver. While he has destroyed the lives of his friends, he has also destroyed his own life, in one moment of foolishness.

He killed another driver though so am a bit confused here.

How could he be proven innocent if he was the driver he was found in driver seat and it was also his car am I missing something.
    This happened years ago and should no way take this long to bring closure to the famillies

I never stated otherwise. As I said he made an extraordinarily stupid decision and undoubtably broke the law. I don't feel that justifies the hateful bile some people are spewing out on here though

I don't feel that justifies the hateful bile some people are spewing out on here though

I don't feel the need to call him an idiot or a waste of space - guilty of dangerous driving killing 8 people says it all.

Sober at the time, too.

Sober at the time, too.[/quote]

What are you implying??? It wouldn't have been as bad if he was drunk?

• Advertisement

What are you implying??? It wouldn't have been as bad if he was drunk?

When people ask "How on earth could someone do anything that insane?", a common answer is "Must have been really drunk at the time". In this case, no, police ruled out alcohol as a factor.

What did he do that could question his sanity!???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Speed was obviously the main factor in this case, and a reckless attitude to driving.

The fact that there was 8 in the car didn't cause it to crash, it was the fact that he was driving it recklessly.

What did he do that could question his sanity!???

Kill 7 of his mates?

And of course, his lawyers have repeatedly claimed he was unfit to stand trial...

Kill 7 of his mates?

And of course, his lawyers have repeatedly claimed he was unfit to stand trial...

Thats a lawyers job. They also defend mass murderers, child rapists, people who plant bombs, terrorists etc. They try to have people proven innocent.

I think it says something about Ireland that this took exactly 4 years from the accident to the driver pleading guilty. Shocking length of time.

I don't see under what circumstances the driver could claim to be innocent to be honest. But then again I don't know the in and outs of the legal system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

There was another thread here a few months ago with a lot of sympathy to the driver, plenty of people saying this is the way it is in the country, loads of people in a car is normal, where did all those people go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

It's the drivers responsibility to make sure they're not breaking any laws
    Isn't it the responsibility of adult passengers to ensure they buckle their seat belts?

Driver is ultimately responsible.

If I have people in my car and they aren't wearing seatbelts, I get the penalty points.

I can have some sympathy for the driver in that he has physical injuries and the main guilt of living with the death of 7 of his friends, but he was an unlucky one.

This country is full of young men acting recklessly on the roads, taking stupid risks every single hour of every day. Many might come close to crashing but don't. This guy overtook recklessly and paid the price in the most terrible way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

NIMAN wrote: »
    If I have people in my car and they aren't wearing seatbelts, I get the penalty points.
    I thought that was only true of children but it is adults responsibility for their own seat belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

Driver is responsible for passengers under the age of 17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

fletch wrote: »
    I thought that was only true of children but it is adults responsibility for their own seat belt?

+1

under 17s are drivers responsibility

You think he was doing a good job driving a car with 8 people in it?

Sounds like the work of an idiot to me. I'd use stronger words to describe the guy if I didn't think I'd get banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

obviously its a heartbreak for all involved,vvv sad,but having lived in that region(derry city)for 20 yrs ,i can tell you,there are some serious lunatics driving around the border area,speed speed speed,hope not,but unless the idiots slow down,take care,dont drink/dope up ,before /during driving,this horrible scene will happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

The driver was woken up late one evening by a mate looking for a lift, been good hearted he got up, got dressed & drove to Ballyliffen to pick up his stranded mate in his recently remapped A4. Upon getting there he was greeted be several other mates all looking for a lift, been good hearted he let them all in and headed back to Buncrana.

On the way there he was showing his mates the difference that a remap makes to a car and in the process he had to serve out of the way of a female driver who was in the wrong side of the road after she overtook an old man. He clipped her car, lost control and had a head on collision with that same old man.

This is a heavily edited version of events, the full story would leave most people in tears.

The amount of 'people' on this site that like to slabber without knowing the facts is shocking, A lot of us have been in the exact same position as him except we never had a collision.

Had the remap been declared to his insurance company?

What kind of idiot puts 8 people into a car designed to hold 5, and goes for a burn on a public road to show the passengers what a difference a remap makes?

FFS. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That is some load of horse crap you are spouting and you should be embarrassed to post it.
    lads,whatever the reason,speed etc,its done now,hope some one learns from it,lot of families grieving,lets leave it ,eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    The driver was woken up late one evening by a mate looking for a lift, been good hearted he got up, got dressed & drove to Ballyliffen to pick up his stranded mate in his recently remapped A4. Upon getting there he was greeted be several other mates all looking for a lift, been good hearted he let them all in and headed back to Buncrana.

On the way there he was showing his mates the difference that a remap makes to a car and in the process he had to serve out of the way of a female driver who was in the wrong side of the road after she overtook an old man. He clipped her car, lost control and had a head on collision with that same old man.

This is a heavily edited version of events, the full story would leave most people in tears.

The amount of 'people' on this site that like to slabber without knowing the facts is shocking, A lot of us have been in the exact same position as him except we never had a collision.

You make it sound harmless/trivial that a guy would show off and drive fast on a bad road with 8 people in the car!!
    I'm against trial by social media and hysteria, but there is no justifying show off driving with that many people jammed into a car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That is some load of horse crap you are spouting and you should be embarrassed to post it.

Why would I be embarrassed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Gazzmonkey wrote: »

I have relations in the area. This I believe is the correct story. However, It does not suit the media/ country to hear he was not 100% in the wrong.

I see it day in day out, cars are always overloaded. He done what any mate would do, unfortunately in this case, the worst happened.

Theanswers wrote: »
    I see it day in day out, cars are always overloaded. He done what any mate would do, unfortunately in this case, the worst happened.

Rubbish. This isn't the 70s any more and overloading your car with passengers isn't acceptable.

Just like drink driving or not wearing a seatbelt isn't acceptable any more...

Or are drivers in Donegal exempt from the laws they don't want to follow? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement