Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1940's style outfor for a fella

• 23-07-2014 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some advice.

I'm attending a 1940's style 40th borthday party this weekend. As per usual (and as my username suggests) i've done nothing about it.

Can anyone offer some easy to do tips on how to come up with some sort of outfit which might work.

I did find this which might work with the weatrher we're having at the moment...
    Look Three: Post-War Casual

The Hawaiian shirt was something of a casual style staple in the late 1940’s, it was reflective of the fun and relaxed attitude men had once the war was over. This kind of look can be easily worked into today’s trends because printed shirts are making something of a comeback. A good Hawaiian influenced printed shirt is the basis for this look, pair it with some simple shorts and boat shoes and your look is done. The choice of adding a bow tie, hat or a watch is completely optional and down to your own personal taste.
    yellow-and-grey-shirts.jpgtopman-chino-shorts.jpgsuede-boats-shoes.jpg
    prejudice-bow-tie.jpgstraw-polka-hats.jpgsunset-watch.jpg

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Think WWII serviceman on a day off. High waisted trousers, waistcoats, slicked hair, argyle tank tops, fedora or flat cap, check shirts, chinos.

Or you could suit up and go the full Clark Gable. Or look to 40s Frank Sinatra for inspiration:

3F4NZ32120.jpg

I'm assuming though that you want to go casual; the problem with the outfit you've selected is that you'd see that walking down Grafton Street on a sunny day; there's nothing overly "40s" about it.

Advertisement