Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new ride: saab 9-3 vs BMW 520 E60

• 23-07-2014 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    thinking about buying mself a new barge, and the current choice is saab 9-3 vs BMW 520 E60, both with 2.0 petrol engine, 04/05 year. I don't do much mileage but looking for comfortable ride that wont ruin my budget when something goes wrong. am I mad looking at E60?
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

ah yes, overlooked that. still qualifies tho :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Is the 9-3 a Petrol? They tend to require a bit more care due to potential sludging issues, this can be solved though with regular oil changes/maintenance, I'm sure someone who properly knows their Saabs will be along with proper info :pac:. It's a tough choice, I'd personally go for the E60 as I just prefer BMW's. I'd be looking for a 525 at the least in that car or even better, the 530i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

I think the sludge issue was sorted after 2005, correct me if I'm wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

go for a 525 if you can, better value motor tax than the 2.2L IMO and decent bit more ooomph... If as bazz says the 9-3 is more a competitor to the 3 series, and you were looking at 2L cars an E90 320 might be worth looking at...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

These cars are light years apart in terms of comparability. The 9-3 is more a competitor to the 3 Series than the 5 Series. If you are a keen driver then the E60 is the obvious choice. 520i is a bit sluggish though, might be worth looking at a 525i if you are ok with the higher motor tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Is the 9-3 a Petrol? They tend to require a bit more care due to potential sludging issues, this can be solved though with regular oil changes/maintenance, I'm sure someone who properly knows their Saabs will be along with proper info :pac:. It's a tough choice, I'd personally go for the E60 as I just prefer BMW's. I'd be looking for a 525 at the least in that car or even better, the 530i.

If you go for the old SAAB engine which was in the 9-3 until 2003 then sludging happens if the crankcase breather hasnt been upgraded and oil changes werent done on time with the correct oil. If you go to the projects thread you can see a saab 9-5 with the old engine being desludged.

I think the sludge issue was sorted after 2005, correct me if I'm wrong

The 9-3 from 2003 on uses a GM engine so the sludge issue didnt apply
    bazz26 wrote: »
    These cars are light years apart in terms of comparability. The 9-3 is more a competitor to the 3 Series than the 5 Series. If you are a keen driver then the E60 is the obvious choice. 520i is a bit sluggish though, might be worth looking at a 525i if you are ok with the higher motor tax.

The SAAB doesnt drive as well as a BMW but they are more comfortable (in my opinion). Bazz is right here. If you want to compare like with like you are looking at a SAAB 9-5 and a 5-series BMW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

If you go for the old SAAB engine which was in the 9-3 until 2003 then sludging happens if the crankcase breather hasnt been upgraded and oil changes werent done on time with the correct oil. If you go to the projects thread you can see a saab 9-5 with the old engine being desludged.

The 9-3 from 2003 on uses a GM engine so the sludge issue didnt apply

The SAAB doesnt drive as well as a BMW but they are more comfortable (in my opinion). Bazz is right here. If you want to compare like with like you are looking at a SAAB 9-5 and a 5-series BMW

No promotion like self promotion :pac:
    Heres the 9-5 in question,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057156160

Take a look through the thread if you like, most of the common faults have/are being dealt with so you'l see just what you're getting into, I can't say anything about the 9-3's but I've heard the dash rattles like mad, the plastic/rubber coating on the buttons wears off, stuff like that, I was after a 9-3 for ages, at one stage i think i looked at every 9-3 advert on done deal, any of them i looked at were fecked from various things, then a friend said look at the 9-5s as they'd tend to be more well looked after, so i did and here we are!
    tldr? Don't rule out a 9-5, A more fun place to be, but more preventative maintenance is needed

Advertisement